No announcement yet.

Who will kill Rush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One got to wonder whether this was a trap to test Eli loyalties. It seem funny that Rush went through all the trouble of programming a force database entry an covering it up, that he did not make sure that coordinates were correct. it just seem to simple of a mistake for someone of Rush talents to make an the fact it took less that ten second for him to admit it.
    An should of been easily spotted by the other scientists on board, with enough time, an they would of surely be researching all the data on that planet every day preparing a landing spot, planning on how to access the planet, surely the guys on earth would also be double an treble checking the data.

Comment

it looks like everyone will alienate Rush even more now than ever. And he deserved it. He played with the hopes of everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
        They cant survive without Rush.
        SGU can't survive without rush.

Comment

Young's revelation that Rush is more than willing to risk someone else's life in the chair but not his own makes his character that much more unpredictable and dangerous. We knew before that he had his own agenda and was very self-serving. It is now clear to Young just what lengths Rush may go to accomplish his goals. And unfortunately given his importance to Destiny’s survival, Young’s job as commander has gotten that much harder. Keeping Destiny safe and the crew working together is an unenviable task. The grittiness of the show and the complexity of the characters are starting to grow on me.
          Last edited by Blackhole; 22 November 2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
            THIS! For all the focus on a more character based story line i only really feel that the writers put a hell of a lot of effort in Rush's and Youngs characters or perhaps they just act their part extremely well, but losing Rush would be a shot in the foot in terms of the show and the storylines. I mean theres something in Rush that you want to like but he does something like what he did in the last ep which makes you question this 'good' (i took it as he put that icarus planet data so he could get someone to get into the chair willingly).

Even though he is probably public enemy number one hes still a brilliant character to have and is probably one of the main reasons i watch the show

Comment

Before leaving Icarus base rush put on some Plot Armour, so he should be fine.

Comment

I have been wondering if the producers would kill him of at the end of season - too expensive perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                  I believe you are mis-interpreting his character a bit. He does believe in the greater good, but he's also a scientist and works on logic. Remember the second time SG-1 found the knowledge face-hugger? They argued about who would use it. Daniel said he would, then Jack told him he couldn't and used it himself.

It's logical to have someone else use it, as Rush knows the most about the ship. It's the same when they needed a sacrifice to seal off the leaking air in the shuttle. Logically, you sacrifice the person less useful to the group as a whole.

Cold, hard, cruel logic. Now, you can argue about the emotional implications and such; but I'm just showing you were he's coming from. Also, I assume he is going to end up using the chair eventually, if he can't get a volunteer.

Edit to add: I believe he also wants to understand the ship and all it's knowledge. With his wife gone, all he has is his work. And he may not be so quick to find a way home, because he may not be able to come back. So that's about the only thing I wouldn't trust him on.
                  With respect, I'm not misinterpreting his character at all. As I said before, there is what Rush believes is the greater good and what is actually the greater good. There is reality and there is what he believes is reality. The two are not the same thing. There is the Greater Good and there is Rush's Version of the Greater Good.

It's interesting that you bring up the Ancient repository of knowledge. Tell me, would either Daniel or Jack have manipulated the other into using the repository by lying? Is that logical? Do you think it's logical in a small team situation like SG-1 for people to be withholding or obfuscating vital information? That wouldn't result in "increased productivity" would it?

You bring up Rush's late wife and you also claim that Rush is working logically. Don't you think it's more than just a little illogical that one person's obsession with his work and what HE deems is the greater good is somehow more important than the safety and well-being of 80+ people? Does intelligence somehow give him the moral authority to deem someone expendable and goad them into sitting in the chair? If someone volunteers to sit in the chair, that's hardly the same thing as Rush tricking them into it, right?

Rush's methods may seem logical on the surface, but what motivates Rush to treat people the way he does is hardly logical. Emotionally charged logic, which is what Rush is exhibiting right now, rarely takes into account moral considerations, especially when it comes to other people's welfare.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rush is an intriguing character and easily one of the most complex ever depicted on Stargate. However, the claims that he's working logically don't seem consistent with his motivations or his actions. When a person's moral compass is damaged by personal trauma to the point where everyone around him is a means for his own ends, that's hardly logical to me.
                  Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 21 November 2009, 11:53 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                    This. Rush makes the show at the moment.
                    Sure, there's a handful of characters that are decent, but not enough so to carry the show without him.

Comment

what a surprise: Rush didn't wanna risk sitting in the chair

big deal. AFAIK risking his life ain't part of his job

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                        what a surprise: Rush didn't wanna risk sitting in the chair

big deal. AFAIK risking his life ain't part of his job
                        He'd make a good politician. send someone else in to die to accomplish his goals.

but I suspect if Rush ever got murderered, virtually everyone on board would be a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post

He'd make a good politician. send someone else in to die to accomplish his goals.
                          long gone are the days when the king himself would lead his army on the battlefield :/

Comment

Greer is gonna do it. Eventually Greer is gonna realize Rush was manipulating him to use the chair to gain access to the ship. You know I expect someone is gonna shoot Rush and we got a who shot Rush episode. Get Detective Eli and his assistant Scott
                            Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
                              Yeah,

I have to completely agree that Rush right now is such a major part of the show that killing him off would take something away from the show. It did however show an extreme character flaw in the fact that he was willing to sacrifice others to sit in the chair, but he was unwilling to do it himself. His motives were very selfish, but it doesn't take away from how much I enjoy watching the character.

- CB
                              It doesn't have to be that his motives were selfish by not sitting in the chair. Rush is very egotistical and also very logical. I could see that he wants to sit in the chair but realizes that if something were to happen to him everyone has less of a chance of living. He clearly was willing to risk himself if absolutely necessary as seen in Time when he ran through the malfunctioning gate. There is probably also the bit of him that sees being on the Destiny as his destiny and he can't bring himself to jeopardize that purpose (whatever it may be). It is more complex than him just being a coward, kind of like Ben Linus on Lost. He lies all the time but there seems to be more to his lies, almost like he gives people what they need to hear at the time. It is more complex than the fact that he is just a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisSThomas View Post
                                It doesn't have to be that his motives were selfish by not sitting in the chair. Rush is very egotistical and also very logical. I could see that he wants to sit in the chair but realizes that if something were to happen to him everyone has less of a chance of living. He clearly was willing to risk himself if absolutely necessary as seen in Time when he ran through the malfunctioning gate. There is probably also the bit of him that sees being on the Destiny as his destiny and he can't bring himself to jeopardize that purpose (whatever it may be). It is more complex than him just being a coward, kind of like Ben Linus on Lost. He lies all the time but there seems to be more to his lies, almost like he gives people what they need to hear at the time. It is more complex than the fact that he is just a liar.
                                Rush isn't just a plain liar. He mixes in half-truths with lies. Not knowing where he really stands and being in a position of power onboard the Destiny makes him especially dangerous.

EDIT: If he's being logical, that logic is bent solely to his purposes. He certainly isn't being objective. He's obsessed with his work and he's determined to have the people on that ship serve as his crew despite their efforts to get home. In that sense, his motivations aren't logical at all. His "logic" is a means to an end, like everyone else in his life. Essentially, his "logic" is just another tool, or a weapon.
                                Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 23 November 2009, 05:46 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X