This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
    I guess you missed the lesbian thing, right? Its bad enough we've had Young using other bodies for sex, but would you like to be the "volunteer" for Wray to visit her lesbo lover? Uh, that was a whole bunch of squick!

Definitely the worst episode so far. So bad I'm not sure I'm coming back for more.
    Two people already have had a bigger problem with body swap gay sex than body swap straight sex. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
      Pretty good one tonight. Not great, but good. Of course my favorite scene was Young beating the s*** out of Telford. He so had it coming to him.
      That was just AWESOME!!
      sigpic

Comment

Another good episode, different to SG1/SGA and in a good way too. I was worried that after last weeks time travel episode that SGU would start heading down the path of turning into SG-1 but they seem to be avoid that by taking the show in a unique direction.

Also the way they are slowly introducing the parts of the backstory they need to seems to be done well. First with the solar flares now with the Ancient database. Old time viewers are rewarded with continuity but new viewers aren't left out in the cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
          Hmm, this is actually a very good point. While all we really saw was them kissing, even that may not be something the woman host would have approved of. What's more, when the scenes are shot, we (the viewers) see Wray's body in the scenes. While I absolutely loved the portrayal of Wray and Sharon's relationship, I have to at least say that I agree about the host-body rights issue.

While TPTB may have expected us to infer that consent is given, I would really prefer if they would come out and mention this in an episode. It should be well-established that people volunteering to body-swap are consenting to these kinds of things.

On the plus side, maybe it'll be mentioned in a future episode? If you were astute during this episode, you'd have noticed that they brought up the issue of "clearance" for certain friends and family, as well as sticking to cover stories. I thought that was a nice moment of continuity for the viewer.

I would agree, except I have a very strong feeling that people willingly volunteering their body for people to see their significant others would consent to this (provided safe practices were a requirement).

Again, TPTB need to explicitly say this so this constant issue can be put to rest, because it sucks to see that great scenes like the ones with Camile and Sharon can be lessened by this proverbial elephant in the room.
          I agree with this completely, and think we should get a little more information on the rules for Body Swaping. I mean, the military has to know what's going on when they spend the whole night in the house alone with these people. I think Young spent a few days there with his wife. I would certainly like to get a much more clear understanding of how the rules work for them.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          You know what happens to those who assume. Maybe she just wanted some non-military clothes I take Wray to be someone with more restriant when it comes to swex.
          Actually, I was giving you a scene reference as to what led up to her and her partner kissing in the room incase you wanted to go back and check the part. I don't think changing clothes and taking a shower had anything to do with intimacy, but even if there was no sex this is still a major violation. While I have no problem with same sex relationships, I would not want someone to engage in any intimate moments with another man while in control of my body. I think its very wrong that Wray chose to do this. Maybe its because I am married, but I think I would still have a problem with this even if I was single.

- CB
          Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
          Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
            So, sitting back and letting people spread lies about you to your wife is very professional? From what we've seen, Young has not cheated on his wife on the Destiny.
            Telford told lies? Its pretty obvious (and insinuated since the first episode) that Young and TJ had some sort of "thing". At least that's how I've taken it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi442 View Post
              Two people already have had a bigger problem with body swap gay sex than body swap straight sex. Sad.
              IS EITHER RIGHT?!

I don't think so.
              And personally I can certainly respect a religious view even if it's not popular or PC and there is nothing sad about it, that is what is called a right....all we must be careful of....is being respectful for differing views no matter what side you're on.

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
                Telford told lies? Its pretty obvious (and insinuated since the first episode) that Young and TJ had some sort of "thing". At least that's how I've taken it.
                Yes, but those were the parts that Emily already knew about. Since then, they had come to a reconciliation in which Young admitted he made a mistake, and promised it was over.

From the audience's standpoint, there is not evidence that he has had a relationship with TJ beyond the one his wife already knew about. Thus, it's relatively safe to infer that Telford was lying to Young's wife to get revenge, as it's obvious the man hates Young.
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

I made a comment about this in a previous post about how I thought it was wrong that people were using other people's bodies for sex, drinking, etc etc. I think its wrong either way. More so now that we know the stones can leave a residual memory. However, while a great many people are excepting of same sex relationships, many of them would never even consider being in one themselves. Especially those who have religious beliefs that say such a thing is wrong to do. There seems to be a complete lack of concern for the host bodies and what is being done with them right now.

I would think it is just as wrong for a straight woman to use a lesbian woman's body for opposite sex intimacy as well because still, it shows little regard for the host bodies' beliefs and preferences.

- CB
                  Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
                  Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

I hope i won't see gay phobia on gateworld, the sex between off ship and on ship people is wrong GAY OR NOT.

Anyway, i didn't like this episode and i'm sold to SGU. But i think the next ep will be real better. I didn't quite understood why Rush lied about the datas... someone can explain?

Oh and young is hot but it's off topic.

Comment

You're right! No Scifi!!1!!1!11!

Swapping bodies with people many galaxies away? Clearly not sci fi.

Accessing the seeder ship database? Not sci fi!

Several people on the edge of snapping because they are trapped light years from home? Not sci fi! If this were sci fi, they'd all be friends and mentally stable by episode 2 like in Star Trek: Voyager.

Bring on the 'splosions please!! And the laser gun battles!!
                      Sure, explosions are nice. But that's not even my favorite part of previous Stargate series. I'm talking about sci-fi storylines, not this Earth drama bs. We haven't even learned anything about the ship yet and when we finally find a means to do it, its practically stuffed under a rug to make room for the soap opera.

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
                        Actually, Eli said "Chloe told me" in the episode. Unless he is lying, which he has no reason to do. Unless its part of his evil plan to break them up. Which I guess is possible but that's really a stretch in my book.

There is a slight posibility that I missheard that, but maybe someone can confirm? I accidently deleted my recording.

- CB
                        I don't remember that but I'll take your word for it.

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                        I have to agree...
                        This show is aspiring to new heights of immorality.
                        These core men and women are becoming...body donors for sexual activity....un supervised....it's unconscionable that they are using these people body and possibly exposing them sexually transmitted diseases, or dealing pregnancies to people who didn't want them but have are genneticly responsible to them.

This just stinks of script writer what if-ing absurdity....
                        It's one thing to be Scientifly questionable....SGU has actually found a way to social logically questionable.
                        Because as you know people are never immoral or never illoglogical
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
                          Actually, I was giving you a scene reference as to what led up to her and her partner kissing in the room incase you wanted to go back and check the part. I don't think changing clothes and taking a shower had anything to do with intimacy, but even if there was no sex this is still a major violation. While I have no problem with same sex relationships, I would not want someone to engage in any intimate moments with another man while in control of my body. I think its very wrong that Wray chose to do this. Maybe its because I am married, but I think I would still have a problem with this even if I was single.

- CB
                          I'm confused. What are we debating now?
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

IS EITHER RIGHT?! [in regards to gay vs. straight body swap sex]

I don't think so.
                            And personally I can certainly respect a religious view even if it's not popular or PC and there is nothing sad about it, that is what is called a right....all we must be careful of....is being respectful for differing views no matter what side you're on.
                            If you think the idea of any body swap sex at all is wrong, that's fine. In fact, I'm inclined to agree with you. It is a violation, almost rape. We've also seen at least two people drink alcohol while in another's body, which also raises issues.

But I do take issue with someone saying something like "it's bad enough that Young had sex in Telford's body but it's even a worse violation for Wray to use a body for gay sex". Either both are equally wrong, or both are equally fine.

And, not all views are worthy of respect. I wouldn't respect someone who felt that using someone's body to have inter-racial swap-sex is worse than same-race swap-sex because the person swapping may not want to have sex with someone of a different race. I feel pretty much the same way about the gay/straight thing. Both wrong or both OK.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoSo View Post
                              I agree. Its hard for the audience to feel like the team is stranded ala Atlantis season 1 when they can visit Earth whenever they want.
                              That's my main issue with the stones. They make it hard for me to feel that these people are truly stranded on the other end of the universe when they can pop home almost anytime they want, whether to see their loved ones or exact revenge.

That said, I did enjoy the Wray/Sharon scenes, in part because I've been waiting to see more of Ming-na, and I think they were very nicely done. More subtlety compared to the Scott and Young storylines, I didn't feel like I was being hit over the head with the angst of the situation.

And I really enjoyed TJ's psych evals, which provided both serious and humorous moments. And discovering the chair and the ensuing discussion with Rush, Young, and the other scientists were also good. And Greer volunteering to sit in it to get everyone else home was a nice touch.

sigpic

Comment

Of course Empress.
                                "Gag me" was merely an opener. Suffice to say I was thoroughly bored. I'm having a hard...very hard time caring about many of the characters it's all I can do to lick a moment of sympathy for Young, Scott and others....so many of these episodes go nowhere....we are where we where essentially when the show began and sure we have air and water, we've survied a horror film but nothing has engaged my mind at all.

I can barely recognize the show as SCI FI.
                                you have hit the nail on the head. for the last few weeks i've been having a hard time watching because i'm such a huge sg fan, I WANT to watch and love this show, but i just can't seem to. It has some fun aspects, some feeble suspence and what not, but it just lacks the sg excitment i was hoping for. really disappointed so far.
                                sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                                Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                                GateCon Vancouver 2011
                                Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X