Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happens if the earth military dies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    Uh, you realise that that was just a giant straw man, right? You're arguing against a system that I never suggested. Besides, functionality isn't the issue here, it's the morality of imposing a military dictatorship on people. I'm arguing that Young has no right to command (the civilians at least), and that they as a group need to learn to work together without oppression or threat of violence. How they might overcome that challenge is a different discussion entirely.
    And you realize that what I was doing is asking for, and not getting, is some kind of idea of what you would suggest should be implemented to replace the "dictatorship" under which they currently operating. The "strawman" was a suggestion on my part. Do you have something in mind which would be better, and if so, how would it be better? Would there suddenly be more food, water or air? I am curious. We are all in agreement that a democratic system is superior to a military dictatorship. Go from there.

Let's assume that all of the military are killed off in this upcoming season. Let's also assume that all of the LA are killed off. (This should put us back on topic, more or less.) What happens next?

I've been seeing a lot of arguments for a civilian government, but nothing in the way of what shape it would take, what kind of system of government would this be? Would this be a real democracy, or some form of communal (communist?) system? Do they run things under a clone of the American system, or do they go with a parliamentary system?

Maybe they should just operate under Roberts Rules of Order?

How will this civilian government enforce unpopular decisions? How would they enforce ANY decisions?

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
      who would die that we know of? col young and lt james and that's pretty much it?

the others aren't in the room

it would solve the two colonels conundrum, but I wouldn't stand for it because I appreciate the presence of lt james boobs on the show
      I was so worried about LT James... I mean I still am!!!
      Hurt & Heal EXTREME come cast your vote PLEASEIts in fun & games go find it!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

plenty more on the other side of a gate locked loaded ready to take the destiny back.
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by NavyGater View Post
          I was so worried about LT James... I mean I still am!!!
          I don't know where Lt. James is, but she wasn't in the room with the rest of the military in that last scene (I just rewatched and didn't see her there). There were four women in the room, three of them in dark blue outfits similar to what Young was wearing, and one in camo-type outfit that James wears. But, none of those 4 women were Lt. James. So where is she? Did she manage to escape (to come back and help save people?) while everybody was busy fighting off everybody else. Did she wind up injured somewhere else? It'll be interesting to find out.

At this point, I'm sure she's not dead; otherwise, she'd have been herded into the room with all the other hostages, and then left in the room with the rest of the military when the two groups were separated.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            I don't know where Lt. James is, but she wasn't in the room with the rest of the military in that last scene (I just rewatched and didn't see her there). There were four women in the room, three of them in dark blue outfits similar to what Young was wearing, and one in camo-type outfit that James wears. But, none of those 4 women were Lt. James. So where is she? Did she manage to escape (to come back and help save people?) while everybody was busy fighting off everybody else. Did she wind up injured somewhere else? It'll be interesting to find out.

At this point, I'm sure she's not dead; otherwise, she'd have been herded into the room with all the other hostages, and then left in the room with the rest of the military when the two groups were separated.
            No her surrender scene came before the civilians as the Alliance soldiers secured the ship. She had on her helmet without the camouflage cover and was on her knees with her hands on her head as her squad was the first to follow the surrender order from Colonel Young.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Yes. Homeworld choices for who can lead are very limitied
              I've previously suggested that Young could be replaced via the stones.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                I've previously suggested that Young could be replaced via the stones.
                That sounds a little risky to me. It seems their are a few problems for a person using the stones long term
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Given to the ability for the stones to be intercepted, its would be stupid to put someone in charge via the stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiko View Post
                    No her surrender scene came before the civilians as the Alliance soldiers secured the ship. She had on her helmet without the camouflage cover and was on her knees with her hands on her head as her squad was the first to follow the surrender order from Colonel Young.
                    But she still wasn't in that room that Colonel Young and the other military group were herded into. Though there are likely other military people aboard, why weren't they all herded into that room as well?

Of course, Scott and Greer are outside the ship, and they just may attempt a rescue of some kind, since the bald guy (who's name I keep forgetting) probably thinks they'll be dead in a few minutes anyway, and doesn't consider them a threat.

Originally posted by wargrafix

Given to the ability for the stones to be intercepted, its would be stupid to put someone in charge via the
                    Plus, there's also the problem with using the stones to put somebody from earth in charge, because who's going to volunteer to trade bodies with somebody permanently? And Jack wouldn't order somebody to do that either. And if one of those two people trading bodies were to be killed, the other one would also die. More likely, Telford would be put in charge if he can prove to Jack that he'd been brainwashed. There's really nobody else that could replace Young otherwise.
                    Last edited by hedwig; 15 June 2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                      Hokay then, if their contracts are null and void the military is under no obligation to these people. I suggest the various civilians who do not wish to be under military command should remove themselves to a different part of the ship. I'm not sure what they are going to do for food or water (as that is in the hands of the military) and if they want to be protected from any incursions from the LA or blue aliens or wandering bands of furlings... well, I'm not sure what they would do.
                      Ok, first off who's to say the military gets the food? Do they grow the stuff? More likely it is the civilians who do so. Do they operate the consoles? Again no. So while they may have the guns and the moxy, they don't have much of anything else..

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
                        Given to the ability for the stones to be intercepted, its would be stupid to put someone in charge via the stones.
                        I agree with that. If nothing else, the writers have set us up with a situation where the stones have proven to be trouble. If the stones can be intercepted by one set of aliens, why not another? Then what happens to the people on Destiny? What happens to Young?

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        Plus, there's also the problem with using the stones to put somebody from earth in charge, because who's going to volunteer to trade bodies with somebody permanently? And Jack wouldn't order somebody to do that either. And if one of those two people trading bodies were to be killed, the other one would also die. More likely, Telford would be put in charge if he can prove to Jack that he'd been brainwashed. There's really nobody else that could replace Young otherwise.
                        I'm wondering if that's what was going on. It may well be but I wonder, given the upshot of that conversation where Young left more determined than when he went in. In any case, the Destiny's troubles have proven that they are clearly in a hell of a lot of danger and need the military on that ship.
                        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                        X