This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average episode.

I don't understand why everybody seems to love that Balding Asian Guy. To me, he's just another average one-time only, background extra.

It's amazing no one caught that Wraith of Khan reference except Eli.

Tomorrow, Rush backstory and Dr Daniel Jackson.
    sigpic

Comment

The whole BAG thing was a fun tongue in cheek appreciation of one of the background characters who stood out in this episode for some strange reason! It then took on a life of its own with the wonderful Bill Butt joining in as well, being a great sport about it all! It's all in the name of having a laugh really and getting to hear his great stories of working on SGA and SGU, along with many other shows filmed in Vancouver.

Apart from having BAG in it. ; this episode is one of my favourites of the season.

Finding paradise, always room for a lot of problems there! I really felt for TJ especially and she really brought across well how wonderful it was to breathe fresh air and look out into the distant peaceful landscape of tranquil lakes and mountains. She really conveyed the despair of being stuck in a dark closed in ship, breathing recycled air and practically starving. Finding out she was pregnant just made it worse for her.

What a dilemma? Stay or return to Destiny, the lure of the perfect planet that shouldn't really exist. I couldn't help feeling that there was more to its purpose as far as the aliens were concerned, for all we know it could be a trap to catch certain life forms for study. Or it could be the life line that some of the crew thought it was to a better life than what faced them on Destiny. This is what I liked about this episode, it could have gone either way, but somehow you couldn't help feeling that Young and Rush were right, they stood a better chance of survival on the ship in the long run. Apples and serpents come to mind!

Wonderful use of the same beautiful tranquil location that was used in SG-1's 'Paradise Lost'. The Widgeon Creek area is really a lovely nature conservations area. Whilst where this episode was filmed is not easily accessible, unless you get in a canoe and paddle, or drive up a rough logging road, other parts that are at the Pitt Lake end is one of my favourite spots to chill out in after a busy day on a nice late summer's afternoon.

Comment

Zombies, did you know the actress really was pregnant? What to do, what to do? Well, write it in and milk it.

Not one of my favorite episodes but I think an inevitable one. Sure people were desperate to get off that claustrophobic ship, to the point of convincing themselves they really had some kind of chance. After all they where the "wrong people" for the job.
        sigpic

Comment

I loved the freaky perfect planet that shouldn't be there. I thought it was reasonable enough to conclude that the aliens built it for them specifically since it was exactly like Earth, it was thrown directly into their path, and it had everything they needed - food, water, sunshine, and a nice long break from the ship. (Although I note the absence of clothing, drug and liquor stores. You'd think aliens would have thrown them in as well.) The lack of housing: they weren't meant to stay there, just recharge. I was always hoping we'd find out more about them, beyond the one follow-up I mean.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
            Zombies, did you know the actress really was pregnant? What to do, what to do? Well, write it in and milk it.
            I know, and it's admirable for them to incorporate the pregnancy into the plot but it's still forced. TJ herself showed barely any signs of a pregnancy earlier on and considering the lack of experience with the technology of Destiny at the time, there would of been no immediate way to find out she was pregnant before the signs came. (Unless I am wrong, I'm basing this off of what Teyla has gone through in Atlantis.)
            Back from the grave.

Comment

I thought she knew before she wound up on Destiny - isn't that why she resigned her position?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                I thought she knew before she wound up on Destiny - isn't that why she resigned her position?
                That was what I thought. And then T.J. was going to raise the child on her own and in secret so Young could rebuild his relationship with his wife.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Midweek, another ep of SGU...

1. "Can we trust Rush?" "You tell me!"

2. I'd have at least got that Genesis was a Trek reference, would have taken a few mins to get Wraith of Khan.

3. Forgot that Scott was about to stay on the planet.

4. Of course we know what happens to those guys now...bit wierd...
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I liked this episode quite a bit.

I liked the character interactions; particularly those between TJ and Chloe, TJ and Wray, TJ and Scott, and Eli and Wray. I found it understandable that people would want to stay on the beautiful, sunny planet, instead of the dark ship where there wasn't that much to do.

I'm not a fan of baby drama, but I thought it was ok in this episode, and it gave TJ a reason to really want to stay behind(I also knew the actress was pregnant, so I found adding the pregnancy in understandable). It provided some conflict for TJ, between what she thought was best for her and her unborn child, vs her duty, and the needs of the people on Destiny. I felt for TJ in this episode.

The mystery of the planet and who created it was also pretty interesting.

Overall, I thought it was a really good episode, and I enjoyed it a lot.
                    sigpic

Comment

Average ep.

TJ showing pregnant symptoms. I wouldn't want to raise a child on Destiny either.

I like the mystery surrounding that planet.

Eli and Camille spending time together. Weird.

I want a Universe soundtrack.
                      sigpic

Comment

BAG!!!!! This episode is awesome just because of him.

Okay serious time. I liked how the episode explores faith and belief in something. I always felt like this epsiode explores faith without going too far and the episode not taking a religious or atheist side. I hate when TV tries to do that and says athiests are right and religions are wrong and vice versa. The whole story is basically a paradise to people who have experenced nothing but hardships. And it makes sense that the people on the planet would not like to leave. Its seems like a break from the difficulties the people have experenced. What I like is being showcasing some super advanced aliens it postulates that the aliens know about Destiny and are trying to help. It does sound improbable but not impossible. That is what faith is. Believing their is something else out there and the world is not as bleak as it seems sometimes. The episode tries to paint hope in the aliens are out their to help us. Like many SGU episodes it does not answer the question but just ponders it which I like. Because religion is such a touchy subject I think it was a good resolution that at the end of the day we do not know if Dr. Caine was right or not.

Now for the negatives. TJ's pregnancy seems tacked on. They need to mention it at some point due to Aliana's pregnancy but at the same time I feel like it got little revleance for the episode. TJ reveals she is pregnant and its just a flimsy reason she want to say on the planet. Since this episode covers a few months I think it is unfortunate that it kind of dispates the tension of military and civillians. Yes we see some tension in the beginning but it resolves too quickly from the end of the episode. Finally these episode showcases what Rush is a person. Its small be we see Rush's obsession isn't just Destiny but the desire to gain knowledge. Look how angry he gets when he can't figure out how someone built a star and a planet
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

I liked this one too.
                          Will we ever know what happened to the people that stayed behind? It's gonna be a tough winter for them i guess.
                          There wasn't any animals at all on the planet? First episode where months actually pass, and the crew gather their strength, make repairs and so on. It was really needed...

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
                            I liked this one too.
                            Will we ever know what happened to the people that stayed behind? It's gonna be a tough winter for them i guess.
                            There wasn't any animals at all on the planet? First episode where months actually pass, and the crew gather their strength, make repairs and so on. It was really needed...
                            Yes and No
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Yes and No
                              Now that I finished season 2 I know what you mean. Personally I was disappointed...

I still think it was weird to find a planet with plant life and trees, but no animals...

Comment

Obviouly the Faith alien didn't want animals on their planet. Maybe something to do with the harsh winters
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X