Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the bickering and in-fighting continued, I probably would have quit. Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping that we get lots more of it but not to the level we just went through. I was very happy to see how the Big 3 [Young, Wray and Rush] interacted in this episode. Here's hoping that it continues... until some really big issue makes them go at each other again.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I enjoyed the show.

Comment

I can see why she would have wanted to stay on the planet. She probably felt that it was better to stay on the planet then have to face Young and explain to him that she was pregnant with his child.
        I'm sure Young has an idea of where babies come from. TJ has nothing to explain. I didn't get that she wanted to leave Destiny so she wouldn't face Young's disappointment (!?). I got that she was simply looking out for her child and sought a better environment than Destiny. The ship is dark, they face starvation at every corner and aliens can and will attack them. The way things are she'll be lucky if she carries to term. Her reason for returning was that she chose the welfare of the crew over her own child and I'm afraid both her and clueless Young will pay for it.

Comment

you guys seem to forget that the planet was created artificially. and thats probably the reason for the lack of animals.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            I live somewhere tropical and let me tell you... Hurricanes are real. Not to mention any number of regular storms, earthquakes, mudslides... Even somewhere tropical can be a deathtrap.
            You are right. I picked tropical because of the year round growing season and availability of food.

Comment

Originally posted by skarwolf View Post
              I found it boring. The doctor walks around looking bored and constipated most of the episode. If they're going to find something why an obelisk? I'm curious how the writers decided on that.

Also it bothers me they seem to just forget about the fact that someone was murdered, tried to frame young and he left Rush on that planet and lied to everyone about it. But hey they're ok with it so everyone else must be.
              Obelisks are mysterious! You never know why they are built and what for! It’s enigmatic aliens’ way of saying… “we were here!”

Originally posted by suqata View Post
              Paradise Lost anyone? I have not seen any mention of it so far, they are too similar to be accidental.
              Both episodes were filmed in the same area, a lovely place called Widgeon Creek/Pitt Lake. I confirmed this with Brian J. Smith when I met him at the Vancouver con, who said it was indeed Widgeon Creek that they went to film this. A lovely area comprising a huge lake, creeks, marshy areas and forests. I know the area as I live near there.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Do I have too? I really dislike Paradise Lost
              You will be shot at dawn! How can you dislike that fantastic episode? There really is no hope for some people!

I liked this episode very much. It helped me decide that I really do like where SGU is going now. We know the characters we have, and now it's a case of seeing how they deal with good and bad situations and dilemmas. That to me is good Sci Fi and what Stargate has always been about.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                Both episodes were filmed in the same area, a lovely place called Widgeon Creek/Pitt Lake. I confirmed this with Brian J. Smith when I met him at the Vancouver con, who said it was indeed Widgeon Creek that they went to film this. A lovely area comprising a huge lake, creeks, marshy areas and forests. I know the area as I live near there.....
                thanks for the location info! Pitt Lake is a beautiful spot
                I had originally thought it might have been Minnekhada Park but that's a little TOO marshy
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                  You are right. I picked tropical because of the year round growing season and availability of food.
                  Yup, but there're problems with that. We basically have two seasons: wet and dry. Much of the Caribbean just came out of a 3 month drought and that wreaked havoc on farmers. And the rainy season can drown crops... and farmers.
                  The tropics can be paradise, but only to a point.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                    *Pats Saquist on the shoulder* Don't worry, guy, I still enjoy it!
                    May have to for both of us.

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                    Hey, if it isn't working for you, it isn't working for you. That happens - there have been some shows I've really wanted to like, but it just didn't gel for whatever reason.

Life is short - give it another try or two - and then move on to something you really do like!

(Or have a beer while watching - there is a show my partner loves that I can only watch if I drink a beer while watching. Somehow, that makes it all work. Ha!)

...I don't drink...but this show makes me want to.
                    I think I'll catch up in a few season. I'll finish Season One. Or Try two but maybe this is just not the show for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                      Then give up, for crying out loud! Seriously, if you think you're bored, imagine how we feel about your whining about being bored? Why continue to waste your valuable time watching something boring and then writing about it?
                      (Also I wish the Ignore feature worked on quotes of the person being ignored.)

I totally agree with you.
                      Why watch a show that is boring? My guess would be to come here and complain about it.

Saquist: After 13 episodes I would think its safe to say that you aint gonna like this show. Stop torturing yourself by watching the show. And if its at any comfort,you manage to bore me too.

I love SGU so far. It needed half a season to gain up some speed,but the episodes after the break has been of high quality. Faith was not the best episode,but I liked that one too. So far only Earth and one other episode has had me a bit bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                        I think I'll catch up in a few season. I'll finish Season One. Or Try two but maybe this is just not the show for me.
                        I agree with the others. Stop torturing yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigMacD. View Post

Hopefully the aliens who built this planet will make an appearance sooner than later. They'd better. Or this was a waste of an episode.
                          I disagree. Any answers about whether this was a created planet and who created it will defeat the purpose of the episode. It's just like in real life--some people choose to have faith in a deity, others (like me) do not. But we will never know for sure. Neither will the crew of the Destiny. They could've thrown away an opportunity to get home. Or, they could've dodged a stranded-forever bullet. I, for one, do not want to know for sure which it is.

Comment

This was a great episode, and its not important to know the origins of the star and planet. Stargate is Sci-Fi after all, and without getting too deep into a debate over what exactly sci-fi is, for me, one of the key themes has to be that of mystery and wonder.

This was key in 2001 A Space Odessy for example, as well as being found in the works of peter f hamilton, stephen baxter and many others.

Not only was Faith in my opinion the best episode of Universe so far ( and continued the real improvement that began with space) but it was also a great piece of science fiction in its own right.

To find out anymore, would take away from the quality of this episode. Its like the film Jeeper Creepers - really good for the first 45mins, but as soon as the monster is revealed, the overall quality dipped drastically. It can also be seen in the success of the halo games, with the mysteries of the ringbuilders.
                            Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
                            Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by mparsons1981 View Post
                              This was a great episode, and its not important to know the origins of the star and planet. Stargate is Sci-Fi after all, and without getting too deep into a debate over what exactly sci-fi is, for me, one of the key themes has to be that of mystery and wonder.

This was key in 2001 A Space Odessy for example, as well as being found in the works of peter f hamilton, stephen baxter and many others.

Not only was Faith in my opinion the best episode of Universe so far ( and continued the real improvement that began with space) but it was also a great piece of science fiction in its own right.

To find out anymore, would take away from the quality of this episode. Its like the film Jeeper Creepers - really good for the first 45mins, but as soon as the monster is revealed, the overall quality dipped drastically. It can also be seen in the success of the halo games, with the mysteries of the ringbuilders.
                              I'm really glad you brought up mystery and wonder, and yes, 2001 really showed that well!
                              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                                I'm really glad you brought up mystery and wonder, and yes, 2001 really showed that well!
                                Yes and when you think about it, that was one of the key things about the stargate premise in the first place - the mystery and wonder about what was beyond the gate!
                                Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
                                Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Working...
                                X