Power should be shared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
    Just one last aside, since someone said the fitness programme was forced: I think it's a good idea for everyone to be in decent shape. When they're offworld and need to haul ass back to the gate, the slowest guy may not make it.
    How about simply mandate that everyone who goes off-world has to stay in shape? After all, there are people on the ship who will probably never go off-world because their skills are only needed on the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
      How about simply mandate that everyone who goes off-world has to stay in shape? After all, there are people on the ship who will probably never go off-world because their skills are only needed on the ship.
      True, but that may defy the writers' need to include people on away missions who don't belong there. Take "Air" for example, did Eli really need to go with them?!

Comment

True, but that may defy the writers' need to include people on away missions who don't belong there. Take "Air" for example, did Eli really need to go with them?!
        Well, he is the 2nd most knowledgeable and intelligent person on the ship (according to the writers insofar, anyway).

A better question would be: Chloe, why in the flying pig was she off-world in "Time"?!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          i dont, destiny isnt a colony, it was an evac site, they could get home in a week and they would prefer to bicker amongst themselves
          But it has since become a colony. People need to stop thinking about it as some sort of temporary home, since unless you know something I or the characters don't, they could be here for the rest of their lives.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Well, he is the 2nd most knowledgeable and intelligent person on the ship (according to the writers insofar, anyway).

A better question would be: Chloe, why in the flying pig was she off-world in "Time"?!
            As for Eli: true, but they already had the smartest person on the away mission. Why take all their geniuses?

As for Chloe:

Cynical answer: because she's a main cast member and the writers needed to give her something to do.

"In-Universe" answer: It seemed almost like a little field trip; almost everyone went to the planet to collect food, take samples and generally stretch their legs a bit.

Comment

As for Eli: true, but they already had the smartest person on the away mission. Why take all their geniuses?
              Stupidity? Like that Stargate Atlantis episode where SGA-1 got captured by the Wraith. What does Sam do? She sends Radek, herself and Lorne after them. Had they been captured (and killed) as well, the entire chain of command was gone.

Base leader Sam, dead. 2nd in command of the military, John, dead. 3rd in command, Lorne, dead. Head of the science department, Rodney, dead. 2nd in comand, Radek, dead. Smart move, Sam!

"In-Universe" answer: It seemed almost like a little field trip; almost everyone went to the planet to collect food, take samples and generally stretch their legs a bit.
              I hope they learned from that little AU experience that she had no place going off-world for a little field trip seeing as how even the most calm-looking planet can be infested with deadly creatures.

Comment

I do disagree though on the shared power issue.

Delegation of responsibility yes.

Shared authority no.

One person (with chain of command identified), with authority and responsibility.

Having a debate on time sensitive life-threatening situations is unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
                  Having a debate on time sensitive life-threatening situations is unacceptable.
                  Young would have authority on all military decisions, Rush on the scientific decisions and Wray on everything else. There would be no debate unless the person in command of the current situation at hand gets vetoed by the other two on the committee.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                    I believe you are underestimating the power of rock-paper-scissors. While Rush, Young and Wray fight it out, some others step in and combine forces to share power of the Destiny in perfect harmony, locking the three alpha dogs in a room as they continue to wage their battles - Young will always pick rock (Rock bashes brain, he reasons), Wray will always pick paper (Bureaucrat 101: Always Have Paper) and Rush'll pick scissors ("My beard! I need to cut my beard!").
                    I saw an ad on some sports TV station once for "World Championship Rock, Paper, Scissors".
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                      Actually, quite a few of us have done just that in various threads.
                      I totally agree that each faction has their obvious leader and those three leaders should work together for the good of all on board.
                      Actually a compromise would be the best option.

Just not yet.

Lets face actions on both sides have not helped any.

RUSH- I get it Young is not letting you gain access to the secrets of Destiny. But the whole making the ship think he's a cold blooded murderer. Not cricket mate.

YOUNG - Yeah Rush is an egotistical toad who will do anything to get what he wants. Sure you lost your temper. But you do need him to survive , plus the whole marooning him while understandable dishonors you.

WRAY - I know your trying your best. Your trained for handling human resources not being trapped lightyears from home. Desperate to get back to your girlfriend. But treating the Military as unreasonable grunts that don't know their place. And trying to take over the ship, not helpfull.

I think Young should remain in overall charge for now. Later a compromise where he dictates command on all aspects of survival which is the main directive. Wray ( if she gets her act together ) attempts to keep Civies \ Military personal sane and co-operating and Rush left to figure out both the ship and a way home with some oversight from Eli and Young.

Last edited by Tuvok; 12 April 2010, 03:54 PM.

Comment

What is it with people? Both factions here on Gateworld seem to think that only "their" side deserves to command the ship. It's All Wrush vs. Young, all the time.

Am I the only one advocating compromise?
                        Oh, you're definitely not. I (and several others I can think of) have advocated this point as well. The idea of transferring Young's level of power to Wray or Rush simply by virtue of them being civilians seems ludicrous to me.

Yes, I definitely think a compromise needs to be reached.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

What is it with people? ...........[stuff]............ So why, not, people? Why not simply try to make the best of the situation, even after "Divided", and share the power?
                          yes, lets have a committee meeting while we're being shot by aliens, when we decide to repel boarders do we need another meeting to determine whether ranged or melee are used to do it?
                          sigpic
                          EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                          -Liberty Prime

Comment

What is it with people? Both factions here on Gateworld seem to think that only "their" side deserves to command the ship. It's All Wrush vs. Young, all the time.

Am I the only one advocating compromise?
                            The Destiny should be ruled by committee. What committee? Rush - Wray - Young - maybe more people if needed. Rush would get the science department, seeing as that's what he does best. Young would get the military department, seeing as that's what he does best and Wray gets the rest (the "civilian" part, minus the science). Shared power makes for less chance of corruption, overwork and stress. So why, not, people? Why not simply try to make the best of the situation, even after "Divided", and share the power?
                            You are not alone. It's just that it's really not possible. Wray, Rush and Young... These people distrust or ourtight hate each other. There's no way any power-sharing will ever work with them. They're all personalities that seem to need to have things their way and will take steps to remove obstacles to their control. If Rush went even more 'overboard' with his The Prince impression, Wray would side with Young to stop him. And Young might even side with Rush to stop Wray from wielding too much power over the crew. There's no living with any of them, much less working with/for them.

In all honesty, sharing just won't work. With that out the door, look at our potential leaders...
                            >Rush... I'm honestly scared of having him in charge, though it would sure be fun to watch.
                            >Wray had her chance at command and that was a disaster, relegating the military to second class citizens and placing civilians with little experience in control of potentially dangerous situations [expedition to alien planet, the chair room].
                            >I don't get the sense that Young sees the military as being any better than the civilians. He's a leader who is used to delegating resources and personnel. If push comes to shove, I'll sadly defer to him as the best person to lead the crew.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

This is really an interesting subject matter. I'm sorry for ignoring a bit of this thread (the second and third pages) but I feel it's best to lay my opinion down before reading onward to thus make it more my own and less a conglomeration of others ideas mixed with some of my own.

I don't feel any of us are actually in a position yet to fully decide on Rush or Wray's command. We haven't seen Rush in command except for a little while in Air before Young got back on his feet; and even then he still had to have the support of Scott to get people to do what he wanted.

Wray was in command for a bit of an episode when Young was framed and whatnot so we don't really know how she would command.

We've seen Young's command this entire season thus far and I have to admit that so far there's definitely the good and the bad. I'm sure if we were to see more from the civvies perspective (including scientists) that perhaps we could relate more with their cause and their coup. But since we have NOT seen any we cannot make any judgement against Young's rule unless we take a few looks at some of the more important things he's done.

1. Leaving Rush on the planet was an obviously huge, MASSIVE failure in Young's decision making. Momentary rage made him for all he knew kill a man.
                              2. "Fire on the big ship" "BUT CHLOE'S STILL ONBOARD!" Hmmm.. Greater good or trying to get rid of Rush so that he wouldn't expose him? It's hard to tell in this circumstance.
                              3. Most recently in Divided when he was ordering Eli to bring weapons online which turned out to probably have been a bad idea when Eli, monitoring power levels, suggested that Rush was correct in devoting power to shields.

These definitely highlight the worst decisions in his command unless others want to add some more.

So, we'd have to see more of Rush and Wray in command to make a judgment call on them, but Young is starting to show he's not exactly the most fit to be a dictator.

The triumvirate proposed within this thread is an interesting prospect, but I definitely do not see that sort of arrangement occurring within the near future of Destiny. Too much going on now with the coup, the Military will be on higher alert, etc. If it does happen, however, it will be interesting to see how it plays out given the 3 entirely different people who will be in charge, two of which admittedly hate one another.

This is why we all need to stay tuned every Friday. I love it.
                              Last edited by Xeno; 12 April 2010, 06:32 PM.

I play Bad Company 2 on the PS3. If you do too, invite Xeno-

Comment

As long as there are communication stones and they have to report to their respective leaders back on Earth, there will be no sharing of the so called power.

Hypothetical scenario; Young reports to O'neal that Wray that snake launched a coup, O'neal discusses with Woolzie and overrules him on grounds of inciting mutiny and pulls rank. Wray is informed via stone link that she is effectively fired or suspended by the IOA until further notice. The crew is informed of Wray's removal from any authority and reminded that they are still under the command of the United States Airforce. And Destiny has been officially confiscated by the military and if you don't want to be part of it then there is an airlock otherwise military rule remains on a military base of operations, which would be the same rules as if they were on Icarus base.

Comment

Working...
                                X