No announcement yet.

Power should be shared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just do rock paper scissors! problem solved.

Comment

Wray is a political snake. She is not a leader, simply one of those people who feel that having the loudest opinions means that she is right. All I have seen so far is a panicky person trying to do something that really doesn't come naturally for her because she feels some sort of need to do so due to her IOA position requirements.

I don't feel that a shared leadership approach would work at all. Far too combustible a situation and in these times, autocratic rather than democratic leadership is required the majority of the time. I am interested to find out what exactly what the thought is regarding how a civillian leadership would have handled the decisions made so far.

Until the threat of imminent death/destruction/starvation etc has subsided, the status quo is the best. However if someone as good as Weir was on the civillian side I would probably change my tact....But as it stands Wray is about as handy as Weir's shoes.
      sigpic

Comment

actually if the roles remain strict, there's not gonna be an explosive situation. Young deals with war, Wray with peace.

Comment

escyos,

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          its a united states air force evac site, therefore military jurisdiction. they dont knwo that they cant get home soon, their characters on a tv show, only we know that they wont be home anytime soon.
          Nevertheless, Young is clearly overwhelmed with the stress of command and his personal life. He should share power for no other reason than it will help him avoid mistakes like beating Col. Telford (no matter how personally satisfying that may have been it was a poor choice) and stranding Dr. Rush on alien planets.
          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

The "civilians" involved are all either us government civilians or contractors. They all accepted the military being in charge when they agreed to go to Icarus base. The only person there that has any reasonable expectation of authority is Col Young. Period.

His ability to do the job is a different discussion. But if not him, then the next USAF officer in line.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
              Just do rock paper scissors! problem solved.
              [sarcasm]Are you sure? Rock beats scissor, scissors beat paper and paper beats rock? No win. Ow i got! Tie, they all share command.[/sarcasm]

There always have to be an leader. What if the three want different things? Unless, one does not put his fingers on another task, but than it is not shared command. The military need the scientist to operate the shield and weapons of the destiny. If Young wants to shoot, and Rush wants to defend only? They need to have someone to decide and deal with the consequences.
              sigpic
              - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                Am I the only one advocating compromise?
                Ummm, no? Have you read through a lot of the other threads? There are many people saying that they need to work together to survive. There are snags all around though, so it's still being debated. The implementation is tricky, even if the idea is by far the most sound.

Comment

I think we all agree that a powe cooperation is a needed measure for success. Its just coming up with how how such a organization is created thats the problem
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

[sarcasm]Are you sure? Rock beats scissor, scissors beat paper and paper beats rock? No win. Ow i got! Tie, they all share command.[/sarcasm]
                    I believe you are underestimating the power of rock-paper-scissors. While Rush, Young and Wray fight it out, some others step in and combine forces to share power of the Destiny in perfect harmony, locking the three alpha dogs in a room as they continue to wage their battles - Young will always pick rock (Rock bashes brain, he reasons), Wray will always pick paper (Bureaucrat 101: Always Have Paper) and Rush'll pick scissors ("My beard! I need to cut my beard!").
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                      Ummm, no? Have you read through a lot of the other threads? There are many people saying that they need to work together to survive. There are snags all around though, so it's still being debated. The implementation is tricky, even if the idea is by far the most sound.
                      I've seen many people suggest that they "work together" to survive. But exceedingly few are suggesting anyone share power. It's always "Work together... with X person in command!", never "Work together... by dividing command up!".

Comment

I've seen many people suggest that they "work together" to survive. But exceedingly few are suggesting anyone share power. It's always "Work together... with X person in command!", never "Work together... by dividing command up!".
                        There's a lot of that, true. As others have pointed out though, several people think they should work together. For my money, I think it'll make more interesting tv from here on to see them trying (and sometimes failing, of course) to work together for the good of all. I'd rather see that than more pointless arguing, fighting and backstabbing.

Comment

There's a lot of that, true. As others have pointed out though, several people think they should work together. For my money, I think it'll make more interesting tv from here on to see them trying (and sometimes failing, of course) to work together for the good of all. I'd rather see that than more pointless arguing, fighting and backstabbing.
                          Why are we back to talking about "working together"?! I just established to you that this thread is not about simply "working together", it's about dividing command of the expedition up, i.e. make it so that command does not rest on one single person but on several people.

Comment

Why are we back to talking about "working together"?! I just established to you that this thread is not about simply "working together", it's about dividing command of the expedition up, i.e. make it so that command does not rest on one single person but on several people.
                            So... that's not "working together"? It doesn't seem like "working apart." Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but in splitting the command up the desired outcome would be to bring everyone together right?

Comment

So... that's not "working together"? It doesn't seem like "working apart." Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but in splitting the command up the desired outcome would be to bring everyone together right?
                              When someone says "working together", it can mean a lot of things. Most people on these boards, for example, mean that they simply stop being antagonists and simply start working together towards a common goal again.

Very few of them actually mean splitting command up. If you mean that you agree that they should divide command up, please say so. Being vague is no something desirable in a debate.

Comment

When someone says "working together", it can mean a lot of things. Most people on these boards, for example, mean that they simply stop being antagonists and simply start working together towards a common goal again.

Very few of them actually mean splitting command up. If you mean that you agree that they should divide command up, please say so. Being vague is no something desirable in a debate.
                                Yes, I agree that Wray should be in charge of the day-to-day stuff, putting people where they're most qualified, etc. This is where she's most qualified as well, being an HR person.

I think that Young should be in charge of away teams and offworld activity, etc. Just like the military almost always has.

I think Rush should be consulted about anything to do with the Destiny itself. He should also be given free reign to look into the systems, various rooms, etc. Just like they did on Atlantis. Also just like on Atlantis, he should have to report to someone when he finds something that would benefit or endanger all those aboard.

This is, however, a best case scenario. Certainly not all would agree to it (fans on GateWorld and crewmembers of Destiny alike) and it can be difficult to implement. Personally, I'd like to see everyone have a task to do to the best of their abilities. Obviously not a round-the-clock thing, but like an 8-hour work day. That leaves plenty of time for sleep and plenty of time to unwind.

Just one last aside, since someone said the fitness programme was forced: I think it's a good idea for everyone to be in decent shape. When they're offworld and need to haul ass back to the gate, the slowest guy may not make it.

Comment

Working...
                                X