This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarFighter View Post
    After 4 episodes we still know nothing. Literally. The character development is NON EXISTENT!
    Then clearly you have not been paying attention.

I wouldn't say there has been a lot of development, as that implies change, which I don't think any of us will see for a bit. After all, it's only been 4 episodes and maybe 2 or 3 days for the crew (according to dialogue about keeping the Stargate open the day before this episode's day, I'm assuming we're seeing the day after the events of Air III).

Now, as for actual facts about the characters, then there has been TONS. Way more than what we know of SG1's characters after 4 episodes and probably way more than all of the SGA characters after that whole series.

Just a small list here:

Rush: lost someone close, perhaps his wife. He was poor as a child, and had to work 2 jobs in Glasgow before getting a scholarship to Oxford.

Young: has a wife named Emily who is not particularly fond of him right now; he was apparently going to retire but instead chose to go on with his job rather than spend time with her; there's also something else there, apparently.

Scott: His parents died in a car crash when he was 4 and he was raised by Priests. When he was 16, he got a girl pregnant and was completely lost about where he was heading in life; this stress translated to the Priest who was looking after him, and whom eventually drank himself to death. Scott believes that this was all his fault.

Eli: MIT drop out. Lived at home with his Mom who had major medical problems (did they say what it was? I forgot); has a knack for games and references to TV shows and movies.

Chloe: Dad was a senator, mom seems to have a bit of a drinking problem. Served as her dad's assistant until they both got stranded on Destiny. She was the one who convinced Senator Armstrong to embed the 9th chevron solution in the game for Eli to solve. She was a political science major at Harvard.

Greer: He was born poor, and has a major temper problem. However, he is also fiercely loyal. His backstory is so far mysterious but I think we'll get some info on that pretty soon.

TJ: She had gotten a scholarship to go to medical school, but for some reason related to Young, decided to stay behind.

Wray: Human Resources person and has files on pratically everyone; she seems to have a problem with Greer. She hasn't had much screentime so that's about it so far.

Telford: He was supposed to lead the team to Destiny, and he can also fly a 302. So far, that's about it.

Now feel free to tell me what you learned about the SG1 and SGA characters after...Emancipation and 38 Minutes, respectively. Now, this is kinda cheating since 1). Jack and Daniel also had the movie to develop them, and moves reveal a lot more info than your average TV show and 2). both Weir and McKay had SG1 episodes to develop them.

Comment

Simply because eyes are drawn to them doesn't mean that they were focusing on them.
      Actually, it does. It wasn't that they were zooming in, but the staging was done precisely to achieve the effect. That's what directors and cinematographers do. One might argue about whether it was a good idea, but they realized their goal with a certain skill.

But, yeah, that's probably enough of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
        To be honest, there hasn't been an episode of SGU that has blown me away yet. That said, I certainly have liked them all so far...but I can understand people not liking the pacing yet. I'm going to detail this more in my actual review of "Darkness". That said:

Quite obviously these matters are all ones of opinion, but I "am shocked" that you aren't seeing character development. You're being serious with that comment?

I guess I'm not going to knock a fan's impression/interpretation, but the character development is about as obvious as it could get without someone saying "I don't work well with other people" (Rush) or "I am a good guy, but I lack the confidence it takes to be a leader" (Scott). I could go on and on.

Everyone's entitled, and so forth.

I dunno, I didn't mind the scenes so much...and it's not just because I'm a heterosexual male. I don't see how Eli being awkward around an attractive, naked woman is "leaning heavily on the sex". It was not an unbelievable scene, nor was it overly gratuitous. It was a silly moment in which we got to see Eli and Chloe interact in a friendly (albeit, quite awkward) moment.

And it's my opinion that you're over-exaggerating how they (apparently) zoomed in on Vanessa James' breasts. I guess I'd have to watch that scene again.

I can't help but say this bluntly...but (I think) you're utterly wrong. Either you're not giving the show a fair chance, or you're not watching it period.

The use of sexual appeal was very "in your face". They made sure to show Chloe's naked body through the shower door AND while she was getting dressed. And that military girls breasts were so zoomed in on at one point they were the only thing in the shot. Also they made sure it was cold in there if you catch my drift.

There were ways to show those scenes without using the sexual visuals. The shower door didn't have to be see through and they didn't have to shoot her getting dressed from a wide angle.

And I still don't see where the character development is. I've watched every episode. All we know are useless facts. One girl doesn't like earthquakes, another got a scholarship, Rush had a wife or girlfriend, Scott is religious. Don't even get me started on Ming-Na. Her character has had Zero development.

Where is the useful information?

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
          Actually, it does. It wasn't that they were zooming in, but the staging was done precisely to achieve the effect. That's what directors and cinematographers do. One might argue about whether it was a good idea, but they realized their goal with a certain skill.

You sure know a lot about how to stage shots of boobs.

Comment

And I still don't see where the character development is. I've watched every episode. All we know are useless facts. One girl doesn't like earthquakes, another got a scholarship, Rush had a wife or girlfriend, Scott is religious. Don't even get me started on Ming-Na. Her character has had Zero development.

That is character developement. Getting to know how they think and what their life. At a start a character is a blank slate and whatever something about them is introduce its development.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Define "useful information".

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Why do you encourage this?

:: headdesk ::
                sigpic

Comment

I appreciated the continuity with the sunburn lines on the "away team" for lack of a better term. I always hated when shows forget about that stuff.

This constant dismissal of Rush is just ridiculous. We ignore him because he's the oldest? I mean, come on, all those scientists and none of them think that maybe their presence might have an effect on the ship? That's basic science- the act of observing a thing changes it! I feel that whole "We hate Rush" has been dragged on way too long. Which is why it was nice that Young verbally smacked the other scientists for doing nothing.

I also don't find it believable that the military would let the "possessed" people off the base to talk to their loved ones. The senator's wife, maybe, Young's wife, I don't think so. What happened to national security?

The "Kino Confessions" were terrible. What a bunch of whiny people! I also felt they were completely pointless to the episode. I would think that if they really thought they were going to die, they would try to leave messages to their loves ones, not whine about dying for posterity.

While I appreciate that the fact that the ship is all busted up, I don't find it a compelling storyline for Stargate. I like Stargate because they go through the gate and meet people and experience living history.

Last, I don't care for the camera work. Someone get these people a tripod! I know it's supposed to be edgy and whatnot, I just find it obnoxious.

Clearly lots of people like the show, and all the power to you. Please enjoy! Speaking for myself and the rest of my household, we're done. That's 12 years of Stargate, signing off.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                    Why do you encourage this?

:: headdesk ::
                    Someone has to spread rational thought and debating to the forum
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm just not feeling the love on this show. Everyone seems to hate each others guts. I too had a prob with Young running off to see his ex-wife. Dude, fetch some help for your people! Is this what a real Colonel would do in a crisis?

The Letters From Pegasus videos didn't tell me anything about these people other than they have social issues and don't come across as the best and brightest that you would think the Stargate program would be recruiting.

The name tags on the controls and Rush saying they were reversed just fell flat. Already done on SGA.

As for the great boobs of doom, hey I'm not complaining, but it was a pretty stupid scene, as was all the "Eli!" screaming from the ever useless Chloe, who needs to be left behind really quickly.

Don't like Scott either. One week he is coming across as a sex addict, the next he is Altar Boy. Which is it?

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post

Good points, of course, but I'm wondering how much of it is cinematography and staging and how much of it is the societal tendency to notice such things?

This is a pretty precarious discussion topic, so I'd have to agree
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          I guess I am arguing that the scientist development is lacking.

Obviously we know what the military personnel do. We also have an idea that Eli can be helpful. The medic does medical stuff and we so far see that Chloe is useless and only there to get naked and shower.

But what about all the scientists other than Rush? They are being introduced and used in the story yet we don't know how good they are at what they do. So far it appears they are also useless.

Other than Rush who are these mystery scientists?

Comment

Just managed to catch the repeat on scifi (busy helping preparations for Divali tommorrow).

It is a well done episode. Really it was. People are getting more face time so its creating a better range of characters. The realism of the situation where the breakdown of command results in paranoia was really well played. Acting was excellent and effects really worked.

The decision to make crisis manatee style versus single episode stories was a bold move but I feel given the story direction it works. They are addressing plot items and plot hole issues like the water. This holds its own and in some ways exceeds the original sg1 series. The characters in SG1 felt stale at points and unnatural. here its working. so far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joebags View Post
                              The Letters From Pegasus videos didn't tell me anything about these people other than they have social issues and don't come across as the best and brightest that you would think the Stargate program would be recruiting.
                              As the Stargate program expands (and its expanded quite a bit) the best and brightest will have to be lowered.

The name tags on the controls and Rush saying they were reversed just fell flat. Already done on SGA.
                              Since when?
                              Don't like Scott either. One week he is coming across as a sex addict, the next he is Altar Boy. Which is it?
                              Can you say overreacting? So Scott is a Christian who likes to engage in sex. Is that really such an unrealastic portrayal of a Christian? I don't think since I have seen more then one Christian like this
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by joebags View Post
                                First, I think "sex addict" is a bit strong. But even if he does have sex (and maybr a lot), why can't he try and be both? I thought one of the fundamental components of Christianity was that we all sin, but the truly important thing is that you do your best, try and learn from your mistakes and ask for forgiveness.

Far be it for me to dictate what Christians believe these days though, as most of my primary knowledge about Christianity was gained when I was significantly younger.
                                Sig by Pandora's Box
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X