X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

Jesus Christ, that was...YES, YES IT WAS!!!

Um, um, um at the end I was like, when it ended, I was like NOOOOOOOO!! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

HOLY CRAP.

Ok, I'll try to be more coherent later. YES YES YES.
    ...no more beer for you.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Okay, so here is what I got...

The good...

1. Rush (the actor) continues to be better than the show, or at least the writing.

2. Better story than last time.

The bad...

The show is difficult viewing for me. I want to like it, I'm hoping for it to be good, sometimes it seems like there is potential, and then they lose me with scenes that seem to ridiculous that I wonder if I am missing something. Chloe whining about the dark? Eli's painfully awkward attempts at humor. The MTV Real World style video confessionals? Say it ain't so.

Then there is this... from 9 days ago in one of the sex threads...
      Originally posted by The_Asgard_live
      Just you wait, some of that realism is going to happen. Pathetic chubby guy with access to floating kino cams. Wont be long before he's secretly filming the ships chicks naked and engaging in some of that self-gratification realism that's important to show in some amount of detail. That's a realistic part of life, just ask Erin Andrews.
      No way, seriously, no way.

I guess, if they aren't going to use the CGI for the Sci-Fi stuff I like, they can continue to use it to keep enhancing James? (that her name?), she seems bigger than I remember, and I like to think I am observant about such things.

Comment

What's the over/under of there being a hugely powerful AI in control of Destiny? I mean it knows what planet to send them to get the air working again and now it seems to know its out of power and trying to fix it that.

And Young is turning into one of my favorite characters. I like his calm demeanor and its certainly in contrast to Telford's.

Comment

Eli wasn't so irritating, and I liked TJ better this week.

As for the rest, well, total power is gone, Rush has collapsed. It looks like everyone is going to die, so Col. Young uses the body-swapping stones to do what? Pick the best brains at the SGC to save his people? No, he goes to visit his ex-wife. Yeah, maybe Telford has a point. Maybe someone else SHOULD be in charge. That was dumb. Just dumb.

Chloe in the shower. Chloe in the dark and unable to find her clothes. Chloe flirting with a different guy this week. Yawn. Airlock her. Now!

Too much arguing, backstabbing, non-trust of each other. Come ON. And the dust off of the old "Letters From Pegasus" script was uncalled for. LFP was a good SGA episode, but these folks didn't come across as smart or mature, and I still don't know their names!

Scott sure likes "P" words doesn't he. Prayer and Pregnant. I really liked this guy in AIR I & II, but now I don't like him at all. Go figure.

One more week. That's all I've giving it, and I'm really not that impressed at this point, especially when we get close ups of the monster boobs from outer space. Its just not funny.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I *heart* Young. Really. He's just so freaking dignified and quietly confident. He's not arrogant like Telford, but he leads.

Eli: Actually, I was an MIT dropout.
            Young: Do you want a gold star for that?

And who says this show doesn't do humour?

Poor TJ too.

I'm going to go watch it again.
            sigpic

Comment

my money is on telford feeling - or the two of them having the history of Young beating Telford out of the command. Telford is 'jealous' in a way, thus overly critical and full of 'i can do better' thus his attitude and seeming willingness to countermand Young, even to the point of ordering Scott to report that Young is in the wrong.

and, what telford also doesn't know or doesn't want to admit is that Young has seen a different side of Rush than Telford has. Telford seems to trust rush 100% while Young knows better
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I need to watch the episode again before I write anything in-depth about it. The problem with me is that I tend to watch the show with other people the first time around, and it (somehow) skews how I actually feel about an episode. Watching it alone is different somehow. But I will say this:

The supporting cast is excellent!!

Man, I loved the subtlety and nuance that each actor brings to their characters, and this is definitely evident even in the supporting cast as well. One of my favorites was Jennifer Spence's character (Lisa Park) giving her kino interview. Man, she had me cracking up with the fast speech full of science talk (geeky science talk kinda gets me...), and she just kept rambling on and on. It was incredibly endearing, and her character really stood out to me in that moment.

And, of course, the amazing performances by the rest of the supporting cast as well (which I'll detail in my full review, later). Some of the most humorous moments of the episode were in those kino shorts, and I really did like them a lot.

Was anyone else surprised by the supporting cast this week?
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

First off, that was much, much, much better than previous episode. So much better.... But before I continue....

WTF, SyFy? Dudes, don't spoil the last ten minutes of the show by giving away the freaking ending in a promo for the next episode! OMG, that was incredibly stupid! *Collects self*

Okay. Back to the episode. Much better character interactions. I found everything much more interesting than I have to this point. I enjoyed seeing interactions between the crew, particularly the more minor characters, many of whom I actually like more than the main characters. I liked the main characters more, too, and was really glad to see a little camraderie developing.

The thing with the crowd confroning Eli came kind of out of left field, and I can't quite figure out why these folks haven't figured out that if no one is telling them anything, it probably means that they aren't going home and are likely to die. I mean that would be my assumption if I was way-the-hell in space and things were sucking beyond belief. A little logic, people.

Note to Eli: That there? That scary group prelude to a beating? That was an incipient mutiny. You need to tell someone about that, 'kay?

I liked seeing TJ be more human. I might end up liking her after all.

I'm having some issues with the leadership of this group. I'm less and less impressed with Young as an officer with each episode, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as someone steps in to take up the slack. If they don't (and I'm thinking Scott, here) I'm just going to find it annoying, not intriguing.

Rush continues to be the most interesting character. I don't know that I'll ever be able to forgive him for sending those people to that ship, but I don't hate him, and that's quite the victory in terms of character development.

I really liked seeing more of the ship, and the people working on board. I'm very disapponted that they've taken science out so completely. It could have been even more interesting. I liked it when they didn't used to assume that I had the intellect of a flea.

The Earth scenes still aren't working for me. I think that's because I really don't know these people well enough to give a damn about their personal lives. The scenes are being used to establish character, which is kind of the opposite from what they should be. Character should be established though interactions on the ship where I care about what's going on, and the home scenes should be used to make use feel closer to characters that we already know and feel sympathetic about. As it is, it's a bit like evesdropping on the personal interactions of strangers--uncomfortable at best, boring at worst. Or maybe that should be the other way around.

Two major boo-hiss moments. One, Chloe in the shower. Hands up everyone who knew the power would go out exactly as Chloe was in the shower...? That many, huh? Predictable, silly, and old, so very old.... Two, (and a sad tip of the hat to thoses who predicted kino voyerism) the spying on the large breasted woman using the kino.

Now, clearly that was predictable, or the clever folks who saw it coming wouldn't have, but it was so juvenille, so stupid, so infinitely lame, that I really didn't think they'd go there. Silly me. Especially given the situation. At least it wasn't as utterly hackneyed as the shower thing.

Anyway, there was so much more to like in this one, and for the first time, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next week. Oh, one thing... You'd think they'd send Carter to see if she can be of assistance. Oh, I know the 'there must be complete separation or it's cheating--cheating, I tell you!' people would freak out, but in a canon/past history sense, it would be make a lot of sense. Maybe she's off fighting the Lucien Allience.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                    FANTASTIC episode. Even the shower scene wasn't done distastefully IMO. And I was one of the people that didn't like the sex scene.
                    Agreed. I just loved the 'childishness' of Eli when he had to come back to her when the lights went out.

The shots of the Destiny inside the gas giant was great! Eli was awesome...

I feel bad for Young though.
                    That scene was to me the highlight of this episode... Especially with everyone looking on from the balcony.

And i too feel bad for young as it seems even he feels he needs to be replaced.. I wonder if this will lead to Telford (LDP) shifting minds via the LCR and keeping it that way.

At first I thought Rush was just being a dick but lack of sleep coupled with caffeine withdrawal is enough to bring anyone to the brink.
                    And i loved how the IOA chick actually stood up for him when everyone in the cantina was gunning for him. Though it makes me wonder, what would happen to the others who needed medicine (diabetics) or were hard smokers?? What are they going through right now>?

That's what I was thinking, that maybe the Destiny had some way to recharge the power from the star's energy or something. Or maybe there is something on those planets that could help them.
                    I am thinking that is why it did the slingshot. BUT i guess our theories of it drawing in gasses like the buzzard collectors on the front of the nacells for the enterprise was wrong... it did not seem to do anything.

Col. Young leaves the sinking ship to visit his wife (zzzzzzzzzzzz).
                    Agreed. i could have done without that. ANd i would love to know why he was 'cleared' to tell her? It did not seem like the other officer had a NDA with him for her to sign.... So she was not cleared.

A bunch of people talk about themselves but none of them sound the least bit intelligent. I still don't remember their names.
                    My mom thought all of that was a rehash of Letters from Pegasus.

Also, I loved the realism where they had to translate the controls in the shuttle and put little stickers with the English translation. That's realistic since most of these people can't read Ancient. This was a small tidbit, but I loved that.
                    I laughed my butt off when Rush had to rearrange them... "You got them backwards:
                    (evidently the actress is one of Lucius' wives from that "famous" SGA episode)
                    I thought she looked familiar.

I'd love to know why Telford got on his case so quickly. Maybe there is some history there that we are yet to find out.
                    It seems to me, Telford was over ridden at some point and Young took his place, so there is some resentment there. Now Telford is stranded on earth, with the only chance he has of being there is whe young connects via the LRC stones, he things he has to make up ground by being a hard ass.

Prediction for next week: Skimming the gas giant was to fill the tanks with some kind of fuel, and passing so close to the star provides the heat to process it. The ship's flying itself, it's not going to accidentally slingshot around a gas giant to fly itself into a star.
                    Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. I certainly did not see anything opening up to suck in gasses.

In the bolded part, being shallow, I must ask, 'What was so wrong with that?'
                    Coming from an active duty guy, i know MANY females who serve who have larger than average mammeries..

As for the rest, well, total power is gone, Rush has collapsed. It looks like everyone is going to die, so Col. Young uses the body-swapping stones to do what? Pick the best brains at the SGC to save his people? No, he goes to visit his ex-wife. Yeah, maybe Telford has a point. Maybe someone else SHOULD be in charge. That was dumb. Just dumb.
                    That did bug me. He did not speak to or even ask about getting anyone to go back.. Heck, Dr lee or carter could have done something.
                    Unless the stones that have been used configured themselves to young and Telford..

Comment

Jelgate's Two Cents

Another Stargate episode another life threatening problem. It’s really funny when you consider Stargate. Stargate Universe has always been advertised that it will be different from SG1 and Atlantis since the beginning and yet power is the same kind of plot structure both show dealt with. That said its obvious given the way the Universe has been portraying the problem that this is indeed different. It just reinforces that some things never change while others by the very nature of the world needs to change. So that brings the question does Darkness change the right elements of classic Stargate while leaving the meat of the show intact making a good or even better project then what we have seen before. It’s not fair or rational for me to answer that question right away. So let’s go in and analyze the story like I always do in my reviews.

Let’s just get it out right of the way right now so we don't mess with the rationality of the real plot. The kino scenes. I have seen it done so many times in almost any drama series imaginable. Does that make it a rehash? Maybe but then again almost any modern show has some form of rehashment to it. So I may be biased but I have always loved these kinds of scenes. They are short and take very little away from the plot but they are intense in showing us what these characters. We know Vanessa doesn't want to be here while we can infer Sgt. Riley looks forward to the adventure. We also know that Rush isn't a person who likes to express his emotions. Which given his logic (or lack of) in the pilot that makes sense. Like I said they show the emotional levels of the character and they were well done with the exception of another Planet of Apes quote from Eli.

Colonel Young is quickly rising on my awesome meter. Just look at that meeting he had, (let’s call it the Destiny's mess hall). Despite everything that has gone wrong he is still trying to bring military order to the ship. Look how he was conducting meetings on what they have and what they need. I like that they remembered about Senator Armstrong from the pilot and that he is rioting in the shuttle. Moving on I loved his tension with Rush. It seems to a perfect balance. They don't hate each other. They just don't see eye to eye on the proper course of action. Very complex rivalry that I look forward to how it progresses.

Speaking of Rush his arrogance is kind of unique and very interesting. When thinking or arrogance I can not help but think of McKay. Given his characterization it’s the best analogy we have but Rush’s arrogance is more complex then what we are use. Its not that he thinks he is better then anyone just that he happens to know more about how the Destiny works. The way he yelled at Dr. Volkner wasn’t a yell of I’m better then you. It was a yell I don’t have time to explain the power problem to you

Now I would probably be a bad Chloe thunker if I didn’t mention the shower scene and what came before it. I think the scene between Eli and Chloe symbolizes a very good question. What are these two suppose to do on the Destiny? Sure Eli can be quite a smart person for a computer hacker dropout but don't they have Rush and other people for the job. That makes Chloe even a bigger question. What does she do? Their is no one like her on the ship which is nice. But what purpose does she hold? Frankly I do not know the answer to that question but I look forward. I could go ahead and say the scene of Chloe was hawt. And on a superficial level that might be true but on a real level it did nothing but promote awkwardness between Chloe and Eli. I guess it could be argued that in itself was a way to develop a Chloe/Eli friendship and/or a potential relationship.

Moving back to Rush. He is such a great character to watch and this is mainly to the acting style of Robert Cartyle. You really feel what is going on as he makes a realistic impression. As he yells at Colonel Young and everyone for dialing Earth you really can see yourself like that. I can see me acting in that manner if I was under that level of stress.

Time to do the old switcheroo. It seems like it will become a standard in SGU. An episode can't go by without using the Ancient communication stones and its funny to see just how radically different the Telford and Young are in leadership styles. But before I go there I must say how much I loved Col. Telford waking up to the piece of paper saying, "Use the Crutch." This is kind of humor we should strive for. Yes these people need to be serious but it would be unreal (and unStargate) if their was not humor every once in awhile. Its interesting that Telford is more of an authorian leader in that you do what he says no questions asked. In contrast Young is more of a cooperative leader who listens to everyone’s point of view before making a decision.

Speaking of Young it seems wise to talk about the scene with his wife. My biggest criticism of Air was that Col. Young didn't get to do much and we didn't learn much about him. Man that criticism just went out the window. So much was learned about Young and his relationship and his wife that my brain is on overload. And at the same time their are more question. We know that Young deeply cares for and loves his wife. At the same time it appears that they are separated because he chose his career over her. Is it that simplistic or is their more to it then. We know what he did but do we know why?

And now we reach the climax about the Destiny actually knowing about the problem and moving itself into a solar system and as you know the Destiny can't travel without Rush. Which is nice about this episode is everyone gets their part. It might be small but everyone gets a part(except maybe Greer). Up until now Scott and TJ did pretty much nothing and had no dialogue. The scene in the shuttle where the Destiny was entering that gas giant changes this. We got to see them interact with Rush as the ship goes through the planet.

But whoa maybe I am getting ahead of myself. I should mention two Eli scenes that I thought were a little over the top. I understand they need to "sex" up Stargate but using the Kino to spy on Lt. James just seemed out of place. Really all these power problems Eli and you want to spy on someone. Second a revisit of Eli accidentally seeing Chloe naked (lucky *censored*). This one I didn't mind as much but I didn't like it either. You think he would have a little tact around women. But he convincing Chloe to see the gas giant does speak of what their friendship can be.

And finally the end. Nice VHX of seeing the Destiny going through the gas giant. Its hard to imagine that this is the same people who the VHX on Atlantis and SG1. It feels some much different. I'm not saying its better because I hardly meet the qualifications to judge it better. A final point where the Destiny travels the gas giant and suddenly changes course to a sun, that scene was kind of predictable to me. Since I know Darkness was part 1 of a 2 parter I saw that one coming a mile way. But given the greatness of the rest of the episode I'll overlook it as it was quite enjoyable to watch. In fact I liked this episode better because their was so much characterization and unlike a lot of show the characterization wasn't added at the expense of the plot. So another home run for SGU in my book
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

Um, um, um at the end I was like, when it ended, I was like NOOOOOOOO!! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

HOLY CRAP.

Exactly what I was going to say.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                          Eli wasn't so irritating, and I liked TJ better this week.

Chloe in the shower. Chloe in the dark and unable to find her clothes. Chloe flirting with a different guy this week. Yawn. Airlock her. Now!

Too much arguing, backstabbing, non-trust of each other. Come ON. And the dust off of the old "Letters From Pegasus" script was uncalled for. LFP was a good SGA episode, but these folks didn't come across as smart or mature, and I still don't know their names!

Scott sure likes "P" words doesn't he. Prayer and Pregnant. I really liked this guy in AIR I & II, but now I don't like him at all. Go figure.

One more week. That's all I've giving it, and I'm really not that impressed at this point, especially when we get close ups of the monster boobs from outer space. Its just not funny.
                          Most of your points are rather baseless (Ripping off "Letters from Pegasus"...? These weren't messages home, they were just talking out their stresses so they could get if off their chests and continue their duties!), but the one about Scott I found rather offensive. I'm agnostic, but what's wrong with him being a devout Christian? I found it rather refreshing, really, to see a character clinging to his faith in a time of need, opposed to the past series in the franchise where faith of any kind was always the enemy.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

HOLY CRAP.

Thats never stopped you before

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                            I *heart* Young. Really. He's just so freaking dignified and quietly confident. He's not arrogant like Telford, but he leads.

Eli: Actually, I was an MIT dropout.
                            Young: Do you want a gold star for that?

And who says this show doesn't do humour? Poor TJ too.

I'm going to go watch it again.
                            Use the Crutch

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            my money is on telford feeling - or the two of them having the history of Young beating Telford out of the command. Telford is 'jealous' in a way, thus overly critical and full of 'i can do better' thus his attitude and seeming willingness to countermand Young, even to the point of ordering Scott to report that Young is in the wrong.

and, what telford also doesn't know or doesn't want to admit is that Young has seen a different side of Rush than Telford has. Telford seems to trust rush 100% while Young knows better
                            I got the complete opposite impression. Telford doesn't trust Rush at all while Young half trusts him.
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              Most of your points are rather baseless (Ripping off "Letters from Pegasus"...? These weren't messages home, they were just talking out their stresses so they could get if off their chests and continue their duties!), but the one about Scott I found rather offensive. I'm agnostic, but what's wrong with him being a devout Christian? I found it rather refreshing, really, to see a character clinging to his faith in a time of need, opposed to the past series in the franchise where faith of any kind was always the enemy.
                              I quite liked it. Yes Scott is a Christian but he has made mistaked. Those mistakes don't just change what he believes. It shows a relastic religious perspective to me.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

That was an excellent watch. Loved the little character moments, which made the episode pure gold. Rush's withdrawal and yelling spasms were executed wonderfully, and I'm definitely a fan of Young after this episode! The guy, or maybe the actor playing him, just exudes this kind-of gravitas I can't help but like. Calm and cool, but with some pretty funny moments.

Yeah, I found this episode rather funny too. Dr Park's little Kino interview moved her up a notch in my book, same with Eli after him telling Brody he wasn't doing a dating service vid. . Scott, Greer and TJ were rather secondary in this episode, but TJ's little talk with Rush after he woke up was very cool. Seeing the trio of Scott, Greer and TJ chat in the shuttle and joke around was refreshing.

Chloe... I liked the shower scene, and I got that she wasn't sure of what to do with herself on the Destiny. It came across as genuine and I liked it. We'll see where she goes in the future, and I like the sibling-esque bond between her and Eli (I get the sibling feeling more than anything, but I may be wrong). Another favourite in this episode was Telford, who is such an ******* that I can't help but wonder what kind of conflict with breed from his *******ry. Thinking ahead on stuff like that is a blast!

Bravo to SGU! Darkness was a good spread of character moments, giving me some new ones to watch out for, and an interesting plot. Tensions rising as the power goes out, and I can't wait till next week when everything gets fixed. Here's hoping, anyway.
                                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                                X