No announcement yet.

Disrespectful uniforms and Greer's rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get the impression that Greer wasn't always a loose cannon. I think something happend recently that made him snap and do whatever landed him in detention on Icarus.

Spencer on the otherhand...

Comment

NO we wont let it go !!! You WILL wear the uniform correctly and call the wearer by the proper rank are you dont wear it at all! I dont care if its just a show ( and not a very good one at that). If for some reason you cant seem to get it correct, make up a uniform thats not of any real branch of any military.

Comment

Originally posted by Hong3103 View Post
        First off... take a chill pill. I completely understand how you are feeling. I served nine years in the Corp and it bugs me to no end when I see inaccuracies like this in TV shows (Especially with Ford's character on Atlantis). Yes I agree they shouldn't disrespect the uniform in that matter. I'd constantly voice my complaints to my wife as we watched various SG episodes. Over time she grew tired of my complaints and old me to just accept it for what it is.

If it really bugs you to that end email TPTB. Constantly email them, you might to get them to change it in the 2nd season (seeing how season one has pretty much been filmed).

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. I have served with many MSGTs in my time in and Greers actions are more in line with an older CPL or young SGT. I don't think I've ever served with any MSGT that was under the age of 35. Most of them were close to 40 or older.

The higher your rank is the harsher your punishment. The Corp expects a hell of a lot more from Master Sergeant. When someone of that rank gets in trouble to the point where they are thrown in the Brig they can expect to lose a lot of rank.

They should've made his character a Staff Sergeant or Gunnery Sergeant at most. I think the non-military fans might think its pretty cool to call him Gunney. It's still early in the series so I'm letting a lot of things slide and take the wait and see approach to this MSGT Greer character.

I disagree. Look at all the heroic actions that Jack and Sam have done in the 10 years of SG-1. Jack should've been a 4-star General by season 8. Carter should be a 2 or 3 stars General by now. So far Greers has displayed himself to be a hothead and almost immature. He's suppose to be a Senior Enlisted Leader and seasoned combat veteran.

I believe the actor's age is in line with the character's age... I think that's what one of Mallozi blog stated... I'd have to look it up. If that's the case than Greer's age would be around 27-28. Again that is very young for a MSGT.

I can see where you're coming from... I agree and disagree. The show is supposed to be based off of our reality, present time, technology (with the stuff we've come across in the SG1 and Altantis...), social development, etc.... For the most part the series did adhere to military protocol, customs, and courtesies in SG1 and a somewhat in Atlantis. Why not here in this series too?

As for the uniform issue... Marines are a completely different breed of people. They are a very disciplined, very professional bunch (for the most part... ) that borderlines fantasticsm. It is a 200+ year old military organization/institution that prides itself in being the best in kicking butt and taking names, winning battles and wars and not looking like a "Bag of Ass" while doing it. Like wearing your cover backwards, not buttoning up your uniform in performance of your duties. I know... it sounds very odd but that's kinda how Marines are. If you don't have Marine friends or have never served it's very hard to understand.
        instead of hiring these boring and bland actors they should just hire real deal and let them potray the marines.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
          NO we wont let it go !!! You WILL wear the uniform correctly and call the wearer by the proper rank are you dont wear it at all! I dont care if its just a show ( and not a very good one at that). If for some reason you cant seem to get it correct, make up a uniform thats not of any real branch of any military.
          So, when they are halfway across the universe without many clothes to throw about, everything must be 'correct'? Okay, to me, that makes absolutely no sense. It would be hard to suspend my disbelief if every soldier was pressed and ready

Originally posted by dee View Post
          instead of hiring these boring and bland actors they should just hire real deal and let them potray the marines.
          Brilliant idea. And whenever someone is dying, they should really die, just for the sake of reality.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
            Without Greer, Scott would never have made it back to the Stargate with the limestone, so everyone on the ship would have suffocated by now.

How do you figure he's the "wrong stuff?"
            I'd suggest that everyone having to walk on egg shells around Greer knowing that they will face certain violence is 'the wrong stuff.'

Comment

Originally posted by DoThKi View Post
              I'd suggest that everyone having to walk on egg shells around Greer knowing that they will face certain violence is 'the wrong stuff.'
              It makes him volatile, that being said not everyone is walking around on egg shells are Greer.

He doesn't scare everyone.
              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

What do you mean "certain violence?" Who has he "certainly" been violent against? He hit Spencer who was trying to start a riot, he shot Franklin to save his life, and he shoved Rush in the back because he was being a prick. Since Rush also assaulted Greer, I think they're even.

No one is walking on egg shells around him at all. Rush is just as arrogant to Greer as always, and Franklin wasn't too scared of Greer to criticize him in "Water." Obviously no one else thinks they will "face certain violence."
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I don't see how Greer's behaviour can be condoned in any way. He's nothing more than an immature school yard bully. You don't get to kick and punch people just because they say a few stiff words toward you at least not in my book. That is a clear indication of over reaction IMO from someone who has little self-control, hardly a plus for a Master Sergeant and the behaviour of little more than a thug. He has also threatened Wray, assaulted Spencer twice, disobeyed Scott, threatened to shoot Rush twice and threatened some of the other scientists. TJ has said she doesn't trust him as well as having to pull him off Spencer. I think she's right.
                  Last edited by DoThKi; 02 November 2009, 04:26 AM.

Comment

I don't see how Greer's behaviour can be condoned in any way. He's nothing more than an immature school yard bully. You don't get to kick and punch people just because they say a few stiff words toward you at least not in my book. That is a clear indication of over reaction IMO from someone who has little self-control, hardly a plus for a Master Sergeant and the behaviour of little more than a thug. He has also threatened Wray, assaulted Spencer twice, disobeyed Scott, threatened to shoot Rush twice and threatened some of the other scientists. TJ has said she doesn't trust him as well as having to pull him off Spencer. I think she's right.
                    If you watch the show, it's pretty clear that Greer had very good reasons for everything he did. It sounds like you've decided that you're not going to let a little thing like REALITY affect your opinion.

You do realize that just because Rush is Scottish, it doesn't mean you need to "defend his honor" or whatever rubbish you're on about. Just because Rush hates Greer, doesn't mean you have to.

Comment

If you watch the show, it's pretty clear that Greer had very good reasons for everything he did. It sounds like you've decided that you're not going to let a little thing like REALITY affect your opinion.

You do realize that just because Rush is Scottish, it doesn't mean you need to "defend his honor" or whatever rubbish you're on about. Just because Rush hates Greer, doesn't mean you have to.
                      Oh please! It sounds like you need to get a bit of perspective.

For a start it is science FICTION. The writers arbitrarily decide whether they want to be realistic or not which mean it's entirely justified for fans and critics to do the same. Many well informed military personnel in this thread have shown the utter unreality of Greer's actions and behaviour so I'm happy about the reasoning behind my opinion in that regard.

I'm not defending anyone because of their nationality. Am I to presume you defend Greer because perhaps he and you are black or the same nationality? Of course not.

I don't see how casual violence is justified by anything. Even more so in a military man. Any man who can't handle a few harsh words and not even intentionally hurtful words at that, is not much of man in my book. IMO I see most of the crew being very careful around Greer and his menacing attitude, threats and violent actions. You obviously don't and that's fine too. I will not be bullied by you to surrender my thoughtful, reasoned opinions.

Comment

I will not be bullied by you to surrender my thoughtful, reasoned opinions.
                        This is the point. Your opinions are neither thoughtful, nor reasoned. They are reactionary, shallow, and exaggerated.

Comment

Oh please! It sounds like you need to get a bit of perspective.

For a start it is science FICTION. The writers arbitrarily decide whether they want to be realistic or not which mean it's entirely justified for fans and critics to do the same. Many well informed military personnel in this thread have shown the utter unreality of Greer's actions and behaviour so I'm happy about the reasoning behind my opinion in that regard.

I'm not defending anyone because of their nationality. Am I to presume you defend Greer because perhaps he and you are black or the same nationality? Of course not.

I don't see how casual violence is justified by anything. Even more so in a military man. Any man who can't handle a few harsh words and not even intentionally hurtful words at that, is not much of man in my book. IMO I see most of the crew being very careful around Greer and his menacing attitude, threats and violent actions. You obviously don't and that's fine too. I will not be bullied by you to surrender my thoughtful, reasoned opinions.
                          Actually there has been plenty of discussion by military and ex military people on the subject of characters in SGU. Most of us came to the conclusion that Greer is a highly realistic take on a marine sergeant. While clearly he is a hot head in some ways (there was a reason he was in lockup) since boarding the Destiny he has acted in a way that a man of his rank should do. He carries himself like a Marine sergeant, speaks like one and is highly believable. As I had to say on countless other threads just because your view of soldiers from films and tv is either as mass murderers or 7tf tall fighting machines doesn’t make it true. The military are fallible as are the people in it, in the end we are people trying to do a difficult job, mistakes get made at all levels even among elite units.

On the subject of people being careful around Greer, you clearly have no idea how the military works. Currently Greer is senior NCO on the Destiny, as such will be in charge of discipline. Normally a Sgt Major would be in charge of that job but obviously they don’t have one. Nonetheless, you are careful around Sgt Major's and senior NCO's, you don’t give them lip, you watch your mouth around them and they tend to be very aggressive. They aren’t there to be your friend, they’re there to enforce discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                            Nonetheless, you are careful around Sgt Major's and senior NCO's, you don’t give them lip, you watch your mouth around them and they tend to be very aggressive. They aren’t there to be your friend, they’re there to enforce discipline.
                            Greer actually seems to be able to strike a very good balance between authority-figure and accessibility. Outside of "discipline" situations, the other military personnel seem to be at ease with him. Even civilians like Eli and Chloe don't seem the least bit scared of Greer "attacking" them. I was surprised at the level of respect Chloe show him in "Water."

Comment

Greer actually seems to be able to strike a very good balance between authority-figure and accessibility. Outside of "discipline" situations, the other military personnel seem to be at ease with him. Even civilians like Eli and Chloe don't seem the least bit scared of Greer "attacking" them. I was surprised at the level of respect Chloe show him in "Water."
                              Exactly like he would be in reality. I'm pleased that they are continuing the tradition that started with Hammond, of realistic military characters, perfectly nuanced.

Comment

Originally posted by FeloniousMonk View Post
                                My first beef is with how the producers have decided to dress the members of this expedition. I don't know too much about the regulations for Air Force ACUs but I know full well that the way they showed people wearing the Marine uniforms is not just out of code but outright disrespectful. Wearing the blouse unbuttoned is bad enough but to wear the cover backwards? These items sport the Eagle, Globe and Anchor; while that may not seem important to most people, to those of us that bled and sweated through the training to earn the right to wear those uniforms, it holds a lot of meaning.

My other accuracy issue is the ridiculous idea that Greer would be a Master Sergeant. He's in his late 20s/early 30s at best. There is no way in hell he would be at that rank. I might believe Gunnery Sergeant but most likely he'd be a Staff Sergeant...up until whatever he did to get thrown in the brig. That would mean a lot of rank, no two ways about it. Realistically he should be a Sergeant or probably a Corporal after his punishment.

Does anyone really care? Doubtful. There are few of us that would but for a spinoff of a show that at least tried to get the military stuff accurate, this one fails miserably.
                                well stargate have always been in contact whit the US military. I remember watching video were someone from the cast of sg-1 said that the writers wrote the wrong rank on Walter and the USAF contacted the crew and told them to fix it ASAP. so if they are breaking some big rules the military would just contact them or they are not in such good contact after Sg-1

Comment

Working...
                                X