• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well lets wait for greer's character story, before you start nitpicking him

Im sure they will show his time in the military leading up to w/e he did

Comment

Originally posted by FeloniousMonk View Post
      Again, if that was the stated case on the show - or if they make a mention of such a thing later - then I'll accept it. But as it stands no such thing has been explained and there was no reason to put any of them in camo to begin with, especially since they were wearing it wrong to be of any use.

The production staff just wanted to show off digis. If they wanted to do that they should have done the research and done it right. It's still disrespectful.
      MY family has bled red, white and blue for nearly 10 generations but really, you are making way too big of a deal of this. You are focusing on the uniforms instead of thinking why they are that way, you are too busy crying about it.

They aren't going to sit there and say "we don't Have X" for every single little thing-they are going to say what they do have " power bars, pens and paper, seeds" . I am going to assume there were some extra BDU's, but I don't expect civilians to be forced to wear makeshift uniforms in some specified fashion. Also, the Co2 Scrubbers were broken! Obviously this is going to make people perspire more (as your body works harder with less oxygen) and have shirts a little more open to help keep cool.

And Jamil Walker-Smith (Greer) is 27. It might be a stretch, but less makeup can easily add 5 years on screen. Also, he seems to have plenty of field experience, which to me indicates this is not his first off-world engagement. As they had shown with O'Neil and Carter, the SGC is the fast track to advancement in the military.

Go relax and have a beer. They were not doing this just to insult you.

Comment

Again, if that was the stated case on the show - or if they make a mention of such a thing later - then I'll accept it. But as it stands no such thing has been explained and there was no reason to put any of them in camo to begin with, especially since they were wearing it wrong to be of any use.

The production staff just wanted to show off digis. If they wanted to do that they should have done the research and done it right. It's still disrespectful.
        I thought it made sense for them to don the camo uniforms going out to the planet. It was a desert planet, the light desert camo would help to keep the heat off of them.

The only thing I didn't understand was why didn't Scott opt for a change of gear. Wearing all that black did not seem like a smart idea.
        These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Rush, like most people, don't understand the difference between the Army and Marines. That's understandable.
          The Marines are the Navy's policemen right? I seem to remember a quote from a US President saying that

I thought the lack of available clothes was obvious since the civilians were wearing military gear, I don't think it really needed a line. Then again McKay told us that coffee was running out during Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
            The only thing I didn't understand was why didn't Scott opt for a change of gear. Wearing all that black did not seem like a smart idea.
            If equipment and gear was limited, I could see why Scott made due with what he had. But you're correct about wearing all black in the desert. Having had frequent experience hiking in desert environments, wearing anything other than white or tan just hurts when the temperature goes above 115 degrees F.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              Like a friend of mine just pointed out, the uniforms have been 'wrong' since season 1 of SG1

Sam not wearing her cover off world, same iwth jack sometimes
              All the tanktops worn in season 7
              teal'c's 'muscle shirts' worn with his fatigues
              vala's custom tailored hip hugger fatigues with a flared leg
              jack not wearing a t-shirt under his blouse in Hathor

etc, etc, etc

it's not something i fuss over, especially in the case of Air 3 when those civilians had maybe 10 minutes to change from their very inappropriate civvie clothes to something more appropriate to being off -world
              is calling military uniform shirts blouses an american thing? i always thought a blouse was a womens shirt-buttons on the left, while mens shirts-buttons on the right are just shirts

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                If equipment and gear was limited, I could see why Scott made due with what he had. But you're correct about wearing all black in the desert. Having had frequent experience hiking in desert environments, wearing anything other than white or tan just hurts when the temperature goes above 115 degrees F.
                Having Scott walking around for 50 minutes in a bedsheet would have probably been disrespectful too

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
                  Well, Carter did save the planet dozens of times and the entire galaxy more than a handful... you would have to be pretty damn sexist (to an extreme degree) to not promote someone after that.
                  I think that was his point. Due to the nature of the service in the Stargate program, it might be that people advance faster than what is typical.
                  sigpic
                  FOX Network

Comment

The whole uniform thing in Stargate has bothered me a little too. Hell the off world uniform jacket was a Navy/Marine Flight Jacket not the USAF one.

If I remember correctly if a civilian wears a military uniform when working with the military then they have to conform to military regulations. The Marines have the toughest regulations out of any branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Joben View Post
                      Having Scott walking around for 50 minutes in a bedsheet would have probably been disrespectful too
                      And more painful if the bedsheet doesn't cover you from head to toe.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes, completely unheard of in sci-fi fandom. o_O

Are you new?
                        over 900 posts...im not that new....i was making fun of the people who just cant handle a tiny, miniscule thing.

Comment

We don't have berets.
                          US Marine corp? Your not the only marines out there, I was talking about the British Marine Commandos. Our marine corp is alot older than yours, Just thought id say it I hate how some people say the US was the first modern marine corp.

Say hello to a ninja punch. A direct order is a direct order. It's not the same as an order from the Chief.
                          Not when that order contradicts standing orders and rules of engagements. If an officer told me to shoot a child who is unarmed and has no intention of commiting a agrssive act I will sure as hell not shoot him and not let anyone else shoot him not even if the Admiral of the fleet order it himself directly.

I will decide who I shoot so when I do shoot someone it is the right thing to do.
                          if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                            .... But you're correct about wearing all black in the desert. Having had frequent experience hiking in desert environments, wearing anything other than white or tan just hurts when the temperature goes above 115 degrees F.
                            Well, that explains Lt Scott's hallucinations then

Originally posted by a6346 View Post
                            But if I saw them walking around with rank insignias and issuing orders to people as if they were in the military I would.
                            Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                            .... You are focusing on the uniforms instead of thinking why they are that way, you are too busy crying about it.

They aren't going to sit there and say "we don't Have X" for every single little thing-they are going to say what they do have " power bars, pens and paper, seeds" .
                            For my part, I simply accept that the civilians are wearing the Marine camo's because the civilian's don't have proper field attire. Simple. Not military myself, but I agree with how a6346 would be concerned if the civilians wore uniforms with rank insignia's, which thankfully they aren't.
                            Exposition on every little detail would get tedious. Better use of SyFy air time to explain the small number of things they have, rather than the large number of things they don't have.

Comment

Let's also ignore the fact that wearing any hat backwards - especially in the desert - completely negates the design of the bill intended to shade one's face.

If they had stated that in the show, I would buy it. But there's no reason to believe that's why they were given mismatched uniforms, especially since they didn't need to be wearing them in the first place. The producers just wanted digital camo on screen to make the show look more modern.
                              if they wanted digital camo they should have just used arid CADPAT and through some marine badges on it since the marines derived MARPAT from cadpat in the final stages. CADPAT is certainly easier to get a hold of, and arguably superior.

the point is, give it a break its a tv show.
                              R.I.P. Don S. Davis "Hammond of Texas" 1942-2008

Comment

Originally posted by Sateda View Post
                                if they wanted digital camo they should have just used arid CADPAT and through some marine badges on it since the marines derived MARPAT from cadpat in the final stages. CADPAT is certainly easier to get a hold of, and arguably superior.
                                Why would they have Canadian uniforms on a U.S. base?
                                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X