This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post

It wouldn't have been open and public if they went into a supply closet....And there are plenty of supply closets at the SGC *whistles innocently*

What? Just sayin.......
    That would be so out of character for them it would be even worse then the wormhole drive. And thats saying something
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

They went on and on about the frat regs in SG-1, and Jack and Sam had to adhere to them like a religion? And now it's like meh, who cares about the regs. Screw the regs
      All we know so far is that these two young military personnel on Icarus took the attitude of 'who cares about the regs'. Scott's pretending he didn't know her afterwards indicates that he was well aware that he shouldn't have been bonkin in a closet with her.

Maybe the regs will become a big issue later on in the series when it looks like they're never getting home. Earth regulations are all very well but should they be adhered to when there's a limited number of people on the ship to choose from when looking for a life partner? Maybe they'll consider finding a suitable planet and starting a colony. Should they adhere to the military frat regs under those circumstances?

I thought these guys were supposed to be the best of the best in the stargate program. But we've got two military personnel that breaks the rules
      We can't state with absolute certainty that Jack never broke a rule or two when he was Scott's age. The same goes for Young, Telford, Caldwell, Ellis, Hammond and Landrey.

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
      If I were in the situation and the greatest thing I could find to hold against Lt. Scott was that he broke a fraternization rule, I'd consider myself lucky and in good hands
      Same here.

And remember, it's not as if Greer gets away with his behavior. He was, after all, in detention on some as-of-yet unexplained charges.
      We don't know the details but we were given some indication of what they involved.

http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1...ipts/101.shtml

YOUNG: Consider the charges dropped. Go take your anger out on them.

Have to admit that Greer is the one I have problems with. Why would someone who has difficulty keeping his anger under control be assigned to the Stargate program?
      Last edited by ciannwn; 08 October 2009, 09:51 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by System_Lord_Remus View Post
        ((I know i'm not a System Lord in Real life just though it to be a catchy title))

Firstly i'm gonna start out with the things I liked about the show...

1)Nicolas Rush: I didn't think i would like this character from what i read from the build up to the launch of the show. But I did end up liking him he has a kind of darkness to him like hes trying to hide something or hes after something that he hasn't told anyone about

2)Eli Wood: Funny i liked this character from the get go he did remind me of a younger fatter Mckay toward the end. But i like the idea behind him out of all us geeks here who wouldn't want to be beamed up to a ship

The rest of the characters was okay the only other character I found interesting was the blonde doctor. Chick I'd like to see the story behind but other than them I didn't really like any other characters. Now onto the story I like the idea behind the destiny and of how the ship looked but I didn't like how TPTB have seemed to pulled every good element. From nearly every moden day Sci-Fi show like how in part one the whole Flashback thing I understand they have to tell the story leading. Up to how this lot got stuck on a ship on the other side of the universe but don't do it in the style of Lost thats the only show that can pull that kinda thing off in my view.

All in all I think thats the best why to sum up this show TPTB have just drew on what everyone else have done. Pulled all the good elements from things like, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Voyager, Past Stargate and have just thrown all of it into one bowl hoping to come up with. The next big thing but in actual fact i've think they created a whole new kind of Sci-Fi..Sci-FIreality because of the whole Kivo things (flying Camara's). Another thing they've added to the mix the big brother fact throw 12 people into a locked house with Camara's watching their every move and see how they get on. Throw 80 or so people across the far side of the universe and see how they react and get a long

Thats my Review anyways I still don't like how this show came into beinging and there are things about the show I don't like. A first for me watching a Stargate Show but I am wiling to watch it purely because I want to see how the story with Rush goes on. And more into the blonde doctor chick and more of destiny
        I think the dynamic between Eli Wallace and Scott will be a big brother/kid brother dynamic. I like that more than the Sheppard/McKay dynamic on Atlantis.

The Kinos will be an interesting storytelling device. I hope they don't overuse it though.

Like Rush, TJ looks like there's a dark, brooding secret to her character that will gradually be unlocked.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          That would be so out of character for them it would be even worse then the wormhole drive. And thats saying something
          Yes I know but one can quite happily swim in the gutter and dream about it

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
          All we know so far is that these two young military personnel on Icarus took the attitude of 'who cares about the regs'. Scott's pretending he didn't know her afterwards indicates that he was well aware that he shouldn't have been bonkin in a closet with her.

Maybe the regs will become a big issue later on in the series when it looks like they're never getting home. Earth regulations are all very well but should they be adhered to when there's a limited number of people on the ship to choose from when looking for a life partner? Maybe they'll consider finding a suitable planet and starting a colony. Should they adhere to the military frat regs under those circumstances?
          As much as I think they were so wrong to forget about the frat regs when they were on Icarus it woulds IMO be inhumane to expect them to keep following the frat regs rule if they feel there is no chance to get home.

We can't state with absolute certainty that Jack never broke a rule or two when he was Scott's age. The same goes for Young, Telford, Caldwell, Ellis, Hammond and Landrey.
          Okay, now I have this mental image in my head of them in a supply closet breaking the rules *wanders off to bleach brain*
          sigpic

Comment

It isn't like all of the people in Stargate so far have perfectly followed rules...

I mean, Sheppard had that black mark on his record for disobeying orders, but I guess since it was a 'heroic' breaking of the rules, rather than, as someone else said, just being bored and lonely, some people are seeing that as different?

Comment

Ok, I am either losing it or this thread just got moved
              sigpic

Comment

You can't lose which you never had

Yes it got moved.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  You can't lose which you never had

Yes it got moved.
                  Oh be quiet you

EDIT: Okay, who keeps moving the thread I'm getting dizzy
                  Last edited by Linda06; 08 October 2009, 10:45 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Not much of a poster tbh but wanted to "Air" my opinions.

Been looking forward to SG:U for a while, really enjoyed the trailers. So I got round to watching them and sadly I felt very let down.

I felt there were far too many flaws, too which ill explain my thoughts later, and simply put, there was a severe lack of thrill and excitement in both episodes.

How? and ill put this lightly, could the Lucian Alliance ever pose a tactical threat over a Human base, guarded by a Battleship with an Asgard Beam weapon? That weapon tore through Wraith ships and everything else! And to boot, they showed the ships being blown up via the planetry explosion! weak weak weak.

You can see far too many connotations of BSG and that might be good, it might be bad, but if they copy too much it will certainly only be remembered as a clone.

Did anything execiting happen in both episodes? Not really! 1 person died, thats ya lot, and to be fair he was very annoying.

Lets hope to see more action & cliffhangers, controlled character development, instead of clustered fragments of past to present snippets.

Dont get me wrong I want SG:U to succeed and do well but they will have to up the ante to give people more reason to come back after every episode for answers and more action.

Comment

Oh be quiet you

EDIT: Okay, who keeps moving the thread I'm getting dizzy
                      I know what you mean... it's like somebody else's cleaning lady is coming into my apartment and putting things away... nothing is where I left it and it's getting confusing Not that it's a bad thing, I just can't quite keep up
                      sigpic

Comment

We don't know the details but we were given some indication of what they involved.

http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1...ipts/101.shtml

YOUNG: Consider the charges dropped. Go take your anger out on them.

Have to admit that Greer is the one I have problems with. Why would someone who has difficulty keeping his anger under control be assigned to the Stargate program?
                        Because he's an excellent soldier with superior combat skills maybe. He might have had a perfect record before w/e happened. lol I doubt it, but it's possible.
                        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Hmmm...

1. Certainly an interesting way to start the new series - the flipping back and forth was slightly wierd to start with though.

2. Rush, not sure whether I like him or not but he's certainly interesting. I can sort of cut him slack on dialing the 9th chevron to avoid risking Earth but his priority seems to be to study the Destiny rather than get people home.

3. Eli, cross between McKay and Andromeda's Harper. Definately like the guy.

4. Scott, like the guy - doing the best he can in an insane situation.

5. Generally liked the pacing, fact is, these are the wrong people and at this point their only enemies are themselves.

Overall, it's not like any Stargate I've seen before but it certainly rocks!
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Have to agree with you here. Knowing everything there is to know about Ancient air scrubbers isn't enough. They won't get breathable air until they can find an adequate substitute for the compound which turned into sludge.
                            Exactly it's not just knowing how to fix it it's having the means to do so.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Zealisreal View Post
                              Not much of a poster tbh but wanted to "Air" my opinions.

Been looking forward to SG:U for a while, really enjoyed the trailers. So I got round to watching them and sadly I felt very let down.
                              I was with you up to this point.

How? and ill put this lightly, could the Lucian Alliance ever pose a tactical threat over a Human base, guarded by a Battleship with an Asgard Beam weapon?
                              And this is where I got thrown off. Would you mind pointing to a source that says the Hammond was ever outfitted with Asgard beam technology to begin with? We know it had just been commissioned...so maybe it hadn't been installed yet.

You can see far too many connotations of BSG and that might be good, it might be bad, but if they copy too much it will certainly only be remembered as a clone.
                              As much as BSG is remembered as a clone of the many things that came before it, I'm sure

Did anything execiting happen in both episodes? Not really! 1 person died, thats ya lot, and to be fair he was very annoying.
                              I was actually quite content with the episodes. For me, I don't need action for something to be exciting. Some of the most exciting things I've ever watched were incredibly emotional character moments, and this is not nearly limited to SGU or Stargate in general

Lets hope to see more action & cliffhangers, controlled character development, instead of clustered fragments of past to present snippets.
                              I understand an annoyance at the flashbacks and such, but I didn't find it that hard to follow.

Dont get me wrong I want SG:U to succeed and do well but they will have to up the ante to give people more reason to come back after every episode for answers and more action.
                              It was only the pilot, after all. They had a lot of ground to cover, and "Air" still has a 3rd part (which airs tomorrow) to give the conclusion of the "Air" storyline.

And Robert Cooper has commented many times on how the first half of SGU is surprisingly fast-paced even considering how character-focused the show is. I suspect you'll get more of what you want in the coming episodes.

We'll certainly see.
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

And this is where I got thrown off. Would you mind pointing to a source that says the Hammond was ever outfitted with Asgard beam technology to begin with? We know it had just been commissioned...so maybe it hadn't been installed yet.
                                You bring up a valid point. If the USAF has any nounce about themselves and I'm pretty sure they would, when you have a weapon such as the Asgard Beam, you would fit this as standard to any new ship. With a galaxy still so hostile they would still require a major defense option.

All test flights would have been made in total safety so its not as though we could say "guarding a secret base would be a maiden voyage mission"

I was actually quite content with the episodes. For me, I don't need action for something to be exciting. Some of the most exciting things I've ever watched were incredibly emotional character moments, and this is not nearly limited to SGU or Stargate in general
                                Dont get me wrong, I love character moments also, but to wet everyones lips and get them talking you need instant impact!, character development and moments take time to explain and time to understand and form a bond/likeness too.

Take the latest Flashforward, it has everyone talking about it simply due to giving all viewers something to talk about and wonder about. SG:U had nothing like it.

I understand an annoyance at the flashbacks and such, but I didn't find it that hard to follow.
                                Didnt find it hard to follow either, simply annoying

And Robert Cooper has commented many times on how the first half of SGU is surprisingly fast-paced even considering how character-focused the show is.
                                well out of say 10 episodes (half the season) 20% have already been slow paced and not the opposite. As I mentioned, Ill give it its chances, have been a fan from the start and stuck with SG:A through-out so I really hope they pull it back from under the door matt

Comment

Working...
                                X