Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had been looking forward to SGU from the moment it had been announced. I had loved SG1 and SGA , and was hoping this was going to be as good.

I've watched it twice now and still can't decide about it.

Firstly there are a few things that tick me off about it:
    1. Its sort of similar to SGA's Rising, with them finding they can go to some place, then they get there and oh no there's a problem. I haven't watched part 3 yet but I would be rather peeved if they find a village and then get attacked by a bad guy, during the attack some of them get taken by the bad guy.
    2. The videos with Daniel- I liked that idea, but did they have to overlap the voices of them so its just a jumble?
    3. Its trying too hard to appeal to a wider market which it fails at- Just like the new Star Trek film, they tried to make it appeal to a wider audience. However it fails dismally. I've watched Stargate from day one so I understand it, but think about the average joe who hasn't seen it at all. The videos explain what a stargate is perfectly but I got asked by a friend who watched it first time and they asked my what the Lucian Alliance was and whats an ancient.
    4. Too much talking

But these small points aside, I can see a lot of potential, it's like the early days of Stargate when you would never know what is the other side of the gate, not like recently when you have a 1 in 3 chance the ori are there in SG1 or the wraith are there in SGA.

I would have to rate this a 6/10.
    - I was entertained
    - I liked seeing RDA , AT and MS

Comment

Well I finally saw the sex scene everone was talking about and I don't really see what all the fuss is about. It wasn't overly graphic or anything. The only thing that bugs me still is it's in the supply cloest Wouldn't it have been better and a bit more comfortable in one of their quarters?

Oh and i'm still drawing a blank on when we saw the woman again
      sigpic

Comment

((I know i'm not a System Lord in Real life just though it to be a catchy title))

Firstly i'm gonna start out with the things I liked about the show...

1)Nicolas Rush: I didn't think i would like this character from what i read from the build up to the launch of the show. But I did end up liking him he has a kind of darkness to him like hes trying to hide something or hes after something that he hasn't told anyone about

2)Eli Wood: Funny i liked this character from the get go he did remind me of a younger fatter Mckay toward the end. But i like the idea behind him out of all us geeks here who wouldn't want to be beamed up to a ship

The rest of the characters was okay the only other character I found interesting was the blonde doctor. Chick I'd like to see the story behind but other than them I didn't really like any other characters. Now onto the story I like the idea behind the destiny and of how the ship looked but I didn't like how TPTB have seemed to pulled every good element. From nearly every moden day Sci-Fi show like how in part one the whole Flashback thing I understand they have to tell the story leading. Up to how this lot got stuck on a ship on the other side of the universe but don't do it in the style of Lost thats the only show that can pull that kinda thing off in my view.

All in all I think thats the best why to sum up this show TPTB have just drew on what everyone else have done. Pulled all the good elements from things like, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Voyager, Past Stargate and have just thrown all of it into one bowl hoping to come up with. The next big thing but in actual fact i've think they created a whole new kind of Sci-Fi..Sci-FIreality because of the whole Kivo things (flying Camara's). Another thing they've added to the mix the big brother fact throw 12 people into a locked house with Camara's watching their every move and see how they get on. Throw 80 or so people across the far side of the universe and see how they react and get a long

Thats my Review anyways I still don't like how this show came into beinging and there are things about the show I don't like. A first for me watching a Stargate Show but I am wiling to watch it purely because I want to see how the story with Rush goes on. And more into the blonde doctor chick and more of destiny
        System Lord Remus

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
          How I saw this scene.

He was concerned about Chloe but this was the first time he'd ever had to deal with a girl who'd just watched her father die in the way that the Senator did. She was in a very emotional state so he took the approach of being calm in the hope of getting through to her. Why did he want to get through to her? I think two of his lines are very significant here.

http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1...ipts/102.shtml

SCOTT: The man died so I could live.

SCOTT: All I know is that he wanted you to go on.

He's reminding her of why her father sacrificed himself and pointing out that he'd wanted his daughter to live and keep on going. Perhaps Scott was concerned that Chloe might be thinking of suicide because people driven by shock and grief can be very unpredictable.

Scott isn't a trained grief counsellor as far as we know. He's just a young military officer who is doing his best to deal with everything even though he's probably terrified and in his own state of shock concerning the Senator's death.
          I'd green you, but I already did recently . Still, I pretty much agree with your assessment of the scene. Scott handled it well for (probably) not ever having to deal with a situation like that before.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
            The only thing that bugs me still is it's in the supply cloest Wouldn't it have been better and a bit more comfortable in one of their quarters?
            I think the idea is supposed to be that they sneaked off to the closet because Scott, and maybe James as well, was on duty.

Oh and i'm still drawing a blank on when we saw the woman again
            Air Part 2.when they are taking a look at the ship they've just arrived on.

(He goes over to Vanessa James, the woman he'd been having sex with earlier. He pretends he doesn't know her well.)

SCOTT: You're, uh, you're James, right?

JAMES: Yes, Lieutenant.
            sigpic

Comment

I think the idea is supposed to be that they sneaked off to the closet because Scott, and maybe James as well, was on duty.

Air Part 2.when they are taking a look at the ship they've just arrived on.

(He goes over to Vanessa James, the woman he'd been having sex with earlier. He pretends he doesn't know her well.)

SCOTT: You're, uh, you're James, right?

JAMES: Yes, Lieutenant.
              Wait. Is James military too? If so then what happened to the frat regs

Yeah I remember that scene but still can't remember her Oh well, i'm gonna be watching it again anyways so I can cap the ep
              sigpic

Comment

They're (probably) breaking them. That's the most likely explanation, I think...
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

They went out of the window which is why he tried to pretend he didn't know her.

I think the point of this scene is to indicate that he wasn't the perfect officer before they all ended up on the Destiny.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                    They're (probably) breaking them. That's the most likely explanation, I think...
                    They went out of the window which is why he tried to pretend he didn't know her.

I think the point of this scene is to indicate that he wasn't the perfect officer before they all ended up on the Destiny.
                    They went on and on about the frat regs in SG-1, and Jack and Sam had to adhere to them like a religion? And now it's like meh, who cares about the regs. Screw the regs

I thought these guys were supposed to be the best of the best in the stargate program. But we've got two military personnel that breaks the rules and another military person whose almost a psycho Boy am I glad I ain't on that ship with them. If I knew any of this I would be fearing for my life
                    sigpic

Comment

They went on and on about the frat regs in SG-1, and Jack and Sam had to adhere to them like a religion? And now it's like meh, who cares about the regs. Screw the regs

I thought these guys were supposed to be the best of the best in the stargate program. But we've got two military personnel that breaks the rules and another military person whose almost a psycho Boy am I glad I ain't on that ship with them. If I knew any of this I would be fearing for my life
                      If I were in the situation and the greatest thing I could find to hold against Lt. Scott was that he broke a fraternization rule, I'd consider myself lucky and in good hands

And remember, it's not as if Greer gets away with his behavior. He was, after all, in detention on some as-of-yet unexplained charges.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

If I were in the situation and the greatest thing I could find to hold against Lt. Scott was that he broke a fraternization rule, I'd consider myself lucky and in good hands

And remember, it's not as if Greer gets away with his behavior. He was, after all, in detention on some as-of-yet unexplained charges.
                        Well true, if it's the only rule he broke. But if he can break one rule he probably would have no hesitation in breaking others

hmmm I wonder what Greer was detained for. That IOA woman seemed to know something.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well true, if it's the only rule he broke. But if he can break one rule he probably would have no hesitation in breaking others
                          Maybe, but I don't like this logic. For example, just because I'm okay with lying doesn't mean I'm okay with stealing Not saying I'm an outright liar (), just that it doesn't necessarily follow.

hmmm I wonder what Greer was detained for. That IOA woman seemed to know something.
                          This is something I'm quite interested in as well, as Camile seemed to think it was quite serious. Remember her line:

"For good reason".

I'm excited to find out more about all of these characters
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

That was because Sam and Jack decided that saving the galaxy was more important than their love; in this case, they were just two low-ranking soldiers on a backwater base, not out fighting to free whole worlds from tyranny. Frat regs are broken all the time in reality, after all, so I don't see why what they did was so wrong. They're both lonely and far from home, why not enjoy each other's company?

I thought these guys were supposed to be the best of the best in the stargate program.
                            Again, it's this far-off base, so it's not like SG-1 is guarding it. Besides, the best of the best don't need to swear off sex, and these are new entries into the Program; not everyone starts off a paragon like Daniel, a legendary warrior like Jack, a full-fledged genius like Sam, etc. Give them time to grow into the legacy left for them.

But we've got two military personnel that breaks the rules and another military person whose almost a psycho Boy am I glad I ain't on that ship with them. If I knew any of this I would be fearing for my life
                            I much prefer Earth, too!
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

That was different. Jack/sam canon would have been open and public which is clearly against Air Force reg. The one in the pilot was in secret.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Maybe, but I don't like this logic. For example, just because I'm okay with lying doesn't mean I'm okay with stealing Not saying I'm an outright liar (), just that it doesn't necessarily follow.
                                Well you know what they say. If you don't like their logic make up your own Or something like that

This is something I'm quite interested in as well, as Camile seemed to think it was quite serious. Remember her line:

"For good reason".

I'm excited to find out more about all of these characters
                                Oh yeah, I thought he was gonna smack her I need to get used to all their names so I don't keep going around saying "that woman" or "this guy". Yeah that could get a bit confusing

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                                That was because Sam and Jack decided that saving the galaxy was more important than their love; in this case, they were just two low-ranking soldiers on a backwater base, not out fighting to free whole worlds from tyranny. Frat regs are broken all the time in reality, after all, so I don't see why what they did was so wrong. They're both lonely and far from home, why not enjoy each other's company?
                                hmm good point. But he could have got busy with a civilian scientist instead Or maybe not

Again, it's this far-off base, so it's not like SG-1 is guarding it. Besides, the best of the best don't need to swear off sex, and these are new entries into the Program; not everyone starts off a paragon like Daniel, a legendary warrior like Jack, a full-fledged genius like Sam, etc. Give them time to grow into the legacy left for them.
                                They could have been professional enough to wait till they were both off duty at least

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                That was different. Jack/sam canon would have been open and public which is clearly against Air Force reg. The one in the pilot was in secret.
                                It wouldn't have been open and public if they went into a supply closet....And there are plenty of supply closets at the SGC *whistles innocently*

What? Just sayin.......
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X