X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
    Greer is the teal'c/ronan of the show.
    Can I have some water?
    Ask again and I will be forced to use the zat'nik'tel upon you twice, Daniel Jackson.
    Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
    I think Rush jumped to the stereotypical conclusion that Greer being black meant that outside Military Service Greer would be either dead or in prison.
    I thought the reason for that was more that even in the rules-and-regulation-heavy military Greer can't keep himself from getting locked up, kicking people, and threatening to shoot them, so what would he be like with even fewer restraints?

Comment

i died laughing when Wallace is left behind with rush, Greer gives Wallace his gun, and then wallace is like "how do i use this". then Greer goes back just to show him how.

really, that was funny beyond imagination.

also, why does everyone make such a big problem of being black or white? do i look like i care? so what, it's a big group of white with a few people black. the problem isnt ours.

if the people who are black want to be represented more, simply get more good black actors. well, there are a few very good actors, but they are too high for stargate. for the type of actors SG needs, there seem to be very few. also, Jamil Walker Smith was cast because he was so damn terrific, not because his character was a soldier ready to be court-martialled

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
        I think that depends on how you define "hate" in this sense.

Greer's actions so far have been outrageous for a military officer. Totally off the wall. Worthy of getting him disciplined six ways from sunday, if not discharged completely.

But I love all of this. I would probably hate his personality if I had to deal with him myself, but he brings an awesome flavor to the show.
        Eh how’s that. Speaking from a military perspective Greer had clearly done something to earn a place in lockup but apart from that his actions once released would not have raised an eyebrow. He was released by Young and placed in a position of authority, since then he has had to deal with panicking civilians in a dangerous situation, they needed to be locked down. Shooting the scientist is also an exception, the guy was about to walk off with the remote to the gate stranding them there and the mission would have been compromised. In the end he helped Rush in the desert and has obeyed all orders passed down to him by senior officers.

Greer is actually a pretty good representation of a marine master Sergeant. As an NCO he will be combat experienced and should be expected to elicit respect from his men. From personnel experience you don’t muck around with senior sergeants, even if you are a superior officer, you take their advice and if you have a problem with them, you deal with it in private.

Comment

Threatening to murder the lead scientist in cold-blood despite a commanding officer yelling at you to put down the gun doesn't sound like the military ideal.

Comment

I dont like the way he treated rush and i dont like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
              Threatening to murder the lead scientist in cold-blood despite a commanding officer yelling at you to put down the gun doesn't sound like the military ideal.
              The military "ideal" got left behind. The cold pragmatism and desire to keep the most people safe has taken over for him. He thought Rush would blow the ship up by trying to reset life support, so he threatened to take Rush out. Rush was slowing him down and keeping him from completing a critical mission on a timer, so he threatened to take Rush out. Are you seeing a pattern here beyond "Shoot the arrogant scientist"? You should.

Greer's pretty obviously about doing what he needs to for what he sees as the greater good. If Rush obstructs it, then perhaps he needs to go.
              Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

"Air, Pt. 3" was kind of a mixed bag for dear ol' Ron. I was deeply impressed with his dedication to saving Lt. Scott, and I'm loving how Greer treats Eli with respect, but I was horrified (and frankly disgusted) by how he assaults Rush while he's on the ground early in the episode. I'm not saying Rush wasn't being a snobby jackass, but Greer's violence was beyond unacceptable.

I also couldn't understand why Greer wouldn't give Rush some water. Rush selflessly (a rare thing for him) offered his water to Matt, and Greer should have recognized that. If Rush drank all of his own water, and then demanded Greer's bottle, he would have deserved to be smacked down. I'm beginning to think that Greer uses fear to manipulate people he doesn't like, and when one of those people isn't scared, he resorts to violence.

He's a very interesting character, without a doubt!
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Greer's pretty obviously about doing what he needs to for what he sees as the greater good. If Rush obstructs it, then perhaps he needs to go.
                  Yea, and killing Rush would basically kill everyone on-board since he is the only one with any understanding of Ancient technology (Eli may understand a bit of the language, but there is no way he learned anything about the control crystals and technology from playing that video game)

Comment

Given the top secret, selective nature of the Stargate program, Greer seems to be a flawed choice for induction into its ranks. I wonder whether we've yet to see Greer's "secret super power" (to borrow Ben Browder's phrase) that would show a plausible reason for him to be part of the team, rather than simply being spice in the dramatic recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by DepletedZPM View Post
                      Given the top secret, selective nature of the Stargate program, Greer seems to be a flawed choice for induction into its ranks. I wonder whether we've yet to see Greer's "secret super power" (to borrow Ben Browder's phrase) that would show a plausible reason for him to be part of the team, rather than simply being spice in the dramatic recipe.
                      Agreed, maybe he is actually a member of Mensa with an uncanny ability to use command chairs :-)

Comment

Originally posted by FightforAtlantis View Post
                        Okay, so was I the only one who thought it was a little disappointing that the only black guy on the show happens to be represented negatively...
                        Well, for one thing, Greer isn't the only "black guy" on he show. We have Becker (who was, unfortunately for the stereotype, a cook), and at least a couple civilians. That being said, the Stargate franchise hasn't been very good at having non-alien minority characters last for long. Ford was the first main character, but he got ignored for half of season one, booted out in season two, and then completely forgotten except for one scene in season five.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                          Well, for one thing, Greer isn't the only "black guy" on he show. We have Becker (who was, unfortunately for the stereotype, a cook), and at least a couple civilians. That being said, the Stargate franchise hasn't been very good at having non-alien minority characters last for long. Ford was the first main character, but he got ignored for half of season one, booted out in season two, and then completely forgotten except for one scene in season five.
                          (a little OT)
                          Which brings me to a question, now that SGA is over is the F.O.R.D. thing done?

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
                            (a little OT)
                            F.O.R.D. still hopes for redemption for our beloved character in upcoming movies.

We might have to become the Fellowship of Ronald (Greer) Defenders if Greer goes the way of Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
                              (a little OT)
                              Ford was done a long time ago, thankfully. Man I hated that character.

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
                                Yea, and killing Rush would basically kill everyone on-board since he is the only one with any understanding of Ancient technology (Eli may understand a bit of the language, but there is no way he learned anything about the control crystals and technology from playing that video game)
                                There's a reason why I bolded the words "he [Greer] sees". Greer plainly holds Rush responsible for putting them in this mess. He trusted Eli's initial assessment that resetting the life support system could destroy it. It seems to me that he has a hell of a lot more faith in Eli than in Rush, along with the fact that Eli hasn't actively done anything to undermine their chances of getting home.

Instead of being the omniscient and all-judging viewer, imagine what it must look like from Greer's perspective.
                                Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Working...
                                X