Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post

We still do not know how the shuttle is powered either. It seems many of you are assuming it has an unlimited power source yet we know this is not the case as was stated when the crew from the alien created planet returned and under hypnosis one of them recalled the shuttle power running out.
    They were on that planet for months and the shuttle was damaged to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
      They were on that planet for months and the shuttle was damaged to start with.
      But it still had power - which ran out.

Comment

If it is not used to fly it would save a lot of power. That would be a discretionary item for the writers if it turned out that way as we have no way of knowing before hand

Comment

No, Dr. Kane said under hypnosis that "something is broken, and none of us know how to fix it." But uts not out of power, just broken

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyadamson View Post
            No, Dr. Kane said under hypnosis that "something is broken, and none of us know how to fix it." But uts not out of power, just broken
            Broken could mean anything - like the battery being dead.

Answer me this: If the shuttles have unlimited power, why doesn't destiny?

Comment

Broken could mean anything - like the battery being dead.

Answer me this: If the shuttles have unlimited power, why doesn't destiny?
              NO, I dont think it unlimited,but if it has weapons then it has quite a bit of power, and it was only flown once, from ship to planet, never fired its weapon, and was fully charged to start with. Not unlimited, but the other shuttle was used to fight drones and so presumably can last for a while under battle conditions. plus, goauld cargo ships are capable of many weeks spaceflight. The tokra aris boch was chasing flew that ship for that long, and it was hyperspace compatible.

Comment

I'd agree with the assumption that the shuttle can probably remain powered for three years, since it isn't required to do anything except maintain life support. However, that assumes there are sufficient resources for keeping the air scrubbed. And, back to the most popular issue: sources of drinkable water, eatable food and the unmentionables of hygiene provisions. Oh, and the latter are not even on the shuttle.

After seeing the coverage of the Chilean miners, we can't forget simple-to-us hygiene such as cleaning our teeth. I think I must be OCD but little things like that really made me wonder about the original Destiny transfer: any such products would have only lasted a few short weeks before running out.

Comment

I imagine Eli could probably find enough power by scrounging gadgets he finds on Destiny. Then we have to deal with clean air. The lime they use for scrubbing the air can be recycled. They use quicklime (Calcium Oxide) to scrub the air of carbon dioxide. The lime reacts with CO2 to form Calcium Carbonate (limestone). If you heat the calcium carbonate, it will give off carbon dioxide and leave you again with quicklime. So, if you heat the calcium carbonate in a chamber open to space, you will have fresh quicklime to use for scrubbing, and the CO2 can be vented off to space.

Comment

Personally, I tend to think that (a.) Eli was able to fix the pod adequately and that (b.) Eli might have miscalculated his air supply, creating a problem where he almost makes it to the pod, unable to make it without help. It's a dramatic allusion to introduce another element (new/old character, limitation, device or property) to the mix. Or maybe the door opening and allowing the vapor from the water to save him. The ship has been known to help. Anyway, that's my offering to the discussion, for now.

Comment

The scenario I worked up is that Eli left Destiny before it exited the galaxy, after exhausting all other ideas to stay onboard. Then he managed to reunite with his human descendants on one of their worlds. He spent the next three years working out a way to dial the next galaxy that Destiny is headed to using the 8th chevron. Once there he used the remote DHD to board destiny again. A little older, smarter, and wiser. He could have even brought some people with him if the writers wanted to add some new faces to the crew. It would als give the writers a chance to make Eli more of a challenge to Rush.

I had also considered him using the chair, and it's stasis function. Then putting his mind in the computer with Ginn. Would be nice, but overall just as boring as fixing one of the pods.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch View Post
                        The scenario I worked up is that Eli left Destiny before it exited the galaxy, after exhausting all other ideas to stay onboard. Then he managed to reunite with his human descendants on one of their worlds. He spent the next three years working out a way to dial the next galaxy that Destiny is headed to using the 8th chevron. Once there he used the remote DHD to board destiny again. A little older, smarter, and wiser. He could have even brought some people with him if the writers wanted to add some new faces to the crew. It would als give the writers a chance to make Eli more of a challenge to Rush.

I had also considered him using the chair, and it's stasis function. Then putting his mind in the computer with Ginn. Would be nice, but overall just as boring as fixing one of the pods.
                        How would Eli use limited range gates to get to a galaxy that takes over three years to reach using FTL? - They can barely dial the neighbouring gates normally.

Comment

How would Eli use limited range gates to get to a galaxy that takes over three years to reach using FTL? - They can barely dial the neighbouring gates normally.
                          Finds something on the planet that can generate the immense power requirements...?

Comment

Exactly. Let's say Destiny is running out of supplies and after being on a forced diet for a couple of days/weeks in a row due to lack of everything on the ship, he risks bringing the ship out of the FTL and dialing a neighbouring gate. He ends up on a planet where he finds some kind of power source - enough to keep him gate-connected to Earth for at least a couple of days. However, he decides to provide Gen. O'Neill with the extra power source so SG Command could have at least a temporary direct connection to the ship. This enables O'Neill to provide Destiny with supplies (air, food, clean clothes for the crew, etc.). He also sends a documentary crew to make footage and notes of Destiny while providing the ship with the supplies. Eventually, the time runs out, the crew from Earth must return home. Eli, now alone on the ship again, decides to finally wake everyone up. Of course, this requires him to fully activate the ship's systems again...
                            Last edited by Mnikolic; 23 June 2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

How would Eli use limited range gates to get to a galaxy that takes over three years to reach using FTL? - They can barely dial the neighboring gates normally.
                              As I said he'd reestablish contact with their human descendant. The were of a higher tech than Earth, with interstellar travel, etc. Working with them, he could create a power source, even if it was a one time use, to use the 8th Chevron to reach the next galaxy over. He could have very easily downloaded the navigation data from destiny, and a list of gate addresses in the next galaxy so he'd know where to go into one of those remotes they take with them..

IIRC, all the gates in the Milky way were capable of 8th chevron dialing. Pegasus Galaxy was locked down to only one gate able to dial between galaxies.

Of course, Eli would have a choice of dialing Earth, or returning to Destiny. (Especially if it were a one shot thing). I think he's too loyal to the crew to abandon him.

Or finding another planet capable of 9th chevron dialing, and repeating the experiment that Rush had done back on Icarus base.

Either way it makes for a more interesting story than fixing a pod, or somehow surviving all by himself .

Or at least thats my humble opinion on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                                Exactly. Let's say Destiny is running out of supplies and after being on a forced diet for a couple of days/weeks in a row due to lack of everything on the ship, he risks bringing the ship out of the FTL and dialing a neighbouring gate. He ends up on a planet where he finds some kind of power source
                                Except by that point there is no planet within range of the ship. They're between galaxies with nothing there. That's the point.

Comment

Working...
                                X