Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Originally posted by SilenceOz View Post
    Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

    Thoughts?
    I like to think that he fixed the pod. He was one of the best characters on the whole show, so I can't imagine them killing him off if the series was to have continued.


    What solutions would you use for the 2 weeks he had left?
    Well, me not being an engineer-type, my solution would have been to spend 2 weeks getting drunk and making peace with myself before my inevitable death.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.


    Comment


      #77
      One thing nobody has mentioned yet, is that we don't know how they work the gravity. Either it's some exotic material or it's powered. If the latter, presumably quite costly in power terms... though I noticed that all sorts of systems went off willy-nilly in "Darkness" without affecting gravity in any way. Anyway, he should be able to override the controls to remove gravity from everywhere he isn't, the same way he can shut off life-support to all the areas of the ship he's not in.

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
        You know Railgun, with each post you make where you try to drag Destiny into a situation you made up instead of going with the plot / storyline provided, I loose more and more respect for you.
        Energizer_Vs_ZPM, I don't know why you are taking this so personnally. You didn't like my idea; I provided evidence to back up that it would work; You got upset and started sulking.

        I'm not going against the storyline/plot at all. The storyline ended and left us with this question because it was NOT in the storyline(to date/ever since it was cancelled). All I am trying to do is look at what possible alternatives Eli could follow to survive given the predicament that the show left him in.

        I would stress that I am discussing ALL possible options for Eli, and have actually put forward several different distinct and separate options myself which could possibly lead to his survival, and others have also added other ideas of their own. I am not suggesting that Eli has to combine all the suggestions I have made together into one big mother-of-all strategies. They are in fact not compatible enough to do that.

        You seem to have taken particular distain to the idea of the minimal survival option, but unless you can put forward some credible evidence to prove that it could not work I still believe it is a possible solution.

        Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
        There is a stargate on-board the ship. We know that the gates can store matter streams in their buffers. We know the stargates' hold complex computers and we know that Destiny is linked directly to its stargate allowing it to be computer controlled directly.

        Now you're aware of this knowledge and that your colleagues are all in stasis, not aging, not growing beards and not alone. What would you want to do? - Fix the pod / use the stargate for preservation OR struggle for 3 years in almost disgusting conditions with no power to even keep you alive? - Knowing that when the crew wake (to air which they can barely breath - see next paragraph) that they'll see you looking like a disgusting tramp. Then there are the laundry requirements.. presumably there is a laundry system onboard destiny (although we've never seen it).. where is 3 years of power coming for that?
        Could Eli use the Gate and computer in some way, possibly. I haven't attacked that idea by putting forward an alternative. I am interested to read others thoughts on this line of thinking also.

        For me I think that doing the obvious is not in character for Eli. I want to see some novel out-of-the-box thinking from him. To say Eli fixed the stasis pod would just be an anti-climax. I want to see Eli come up with something truly clever, unique and unexpected.

        Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
        While you keep banging on about the lack of need for life support, I've already explained this one to you. When the crew are woken up, they'll be woken to a ship full of carbon dioxide and will not be able to breath. Thats why the life support is pretty important but you still refuse to accept this.
        I don't know why you keep coming back to this line of argument I have already answered this point previously.
        There is no problem with carbon dioxide because they have CO2 scrubbers using either the Lime or advanced Novan substance.

        Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
        In your last post you suggested that they use a shuttle to distract the drones. Slight problem there.. the drones split into groups and attack multiple targets. Oh and they only have _O_N_E_ shuttle left to use. Remember they used the second one to blow the hell out of another command ship at the end of s2. Do you really think they'll waste their one and only shuttle now? - I certainly don't
        You didn't read the strategy properly. I clearly said that only the shuttle would approach the drone command ship.
        ie There are not multiple targets for the drones to attack

        AND that the shuttle would then run away.
        ie the drones will never get close enough to fire on the shuttle.

        AND that the shields of the shuttle had been switched to the narrow frequency.
        ie in the unlikely event that the shuttle was hit by drone weapons fire it wouldn't do any damage.

        So there is not much risk to the shuttle with this plan at all.
        If they got into any difficulties they could also send out the jamming signal to temporarily disable the drones while they get away.

        Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
        One thing nobody has mentioned yet, is that we don't know how they work the gravity. Either it's some exotic material or it's powered. If the latter, presumably quite costly in power terms... though I noticed that all sorts of systems went off willy-nilly in "Darkness" without affecting gravity in any way. Anyway, he should be able to override the controls to remove gravity from everywhere he isn't, the same way he can shut off life-support to all the areas of the ship he's not in.
        My theory for this would be that the ship is built around a speck of super dense dark matter.
        Last edited by Railgun; March 1, 2013, 03:00 PM.

        Comment


          #79
          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          Energizer_Vs_ZPM, I don't know why you are taking this so personnally.
          Considering what you said to me a few posts back..

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          You didn't like my idea; I provided evidence to back up that it would work
          No, you provided unworkable ideas. Things like someone staying in an area (shuttle) smaller than their own living room for 3 years without even having a toilet or anything to entertain themselves. No-one can do that and stay sane especially without a toilet. You never answered my question about being able to survive underwater without breathing either.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          I'm not going against the storyline/plot at all.
          Not much. It's been clearly told that there isn't enough power for more than a couple of weeks. Somehow you expect life support to run for years with Eli running around or a Jaffa being onboard for 3 years via the stones putting Elis body into a trance. With no air, food, water and power, that just won't work.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          The storyline ended and left us with this question because it was NOT in the storyline(to date/ever since it was cancelled).
          You're right however it WAS in the storyline that they had no other realistic option and little spare power left.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          All I am trying to do is look at what possible alternatives Eli could follow to survive given the predicament that the show left him in.
          Thats fair enough but you keep coming up with power hungry ideas and ignoring the fact that people need clean air to breathe. It's a bit disturbing really to think that you can't quite grasp these basic concepts.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          I would stress that I am discussing ALL possible options for Eli, and have actually put forward several different distinct and separate options myself which could possibly lead to his survival
          Survival.. interesting word of choice. See if Eli starves himself of oxygen by not going into stasis in 3 years he could be found alive by the crew but be brain dead. He's still technically survived.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          You seem to have taken particular distain to the idea of the minimal survival option, but unless you can put forward some credible evidence to prove that it could not work I still believe it is a possible solution.
          Yes I have taken a dislike to the minimal surival option because it is not workable:
          1) No-one can stay cooped up in a small space for three years with no entertainment. Even prisoners get a bit of contact with prison guards and other inmates unless they've been confined to solitary.
          2) You need fresh clean air to breathe and a toilet that removes waste.
          3) Destiny is shot.. ok it's a cool ship but it's had its day, can't hold full power reserves and is pretty much crippled to the point where its on its last legs. The recently announced mars mission will be a new ship that is designed to do its job and last. The crew will be trained to survive and the systems will be designed to work properly. Destiny is a rustbucket with lots of things no longer working. The ship travelling to mars isn't going to be like this is it. It won't be a rustbucket full of holes with multiple systems that haven't worked for thousands of years. There is a huge difference so i don't understand your point in trying to use that to sway the argument to make your ideas workable.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          Could Eli use the Gate and computer in some way, possibly. I haven't attacked that idea by putting forward an alternative.
          Actually, you have. In post 2, KEK put forward the gate storage idea. In post 27 you clearly said:
          Not sure it even needs a high-tech solution.
          Thats an attack on the hi tech idea.

          Then you put forward your idea (which you just said you didn't do):
          I think Eli lives in the shuttle or space suit for the duration and probably has enough food/water/oxygen just for himself since everyone else is in stasis.
          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          For me I think that doing the obvious is not in character for Eli.
          So they discover the stasis pods and just an episode or two later, Eli comes up with the obvious of putting everyone into stasis to make the galaxial jump. You think he doesn't do the obvious? Eli came up with the idea of grabbing a dormant drone to study it and see what they could do with it. You think he doesn't do the obvious?

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          I want to see some novel out-of-the-box thinking from him.
          Using the gate would be just that. Sitting around in a shuttle that is draining destinys power.. now thats not out of the box is it.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          To say Eli fixed the stasis pod would just be an anti-climax. I want to see Eli come up with something truly clever, unique and unexpected.
          Yes, which is why the gate would be a good idea where he either stores himself or is transferred from the gate to destiny itself so he can interact with Ginn but still be restored via the gate.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          I don't know why you keep coming back to this line of argument I have already answered this point previously.
          There is no problem with carbon dioxide because they have CO2 scrubbers using either the Lime or advanced Novan substance.
          Yes but the air must still be pumped through them. They may naturally work passively but they are small canisters serving a very large ship. Do you not remember when they first replaced the lime, we saw air bubbles in the canisters where the air was being pumped through them? (I suspect you'll ignore this point again). It's a big ship. In order to scrub enough CO2 from the air, they would need to pump it through the canisters not just let the canisters passively and slowly scrub the air. I'm not saying you are wrong about them working passively, all I am saying is that they are active and considering the size of the ship, they need to be.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          You didn't read the strategy properly. I clearly said that only the shuttle would approach the drone command ship.
          ie There are not multiple targets for the drones to attack

          AND that the shuttle would then run away.
          ie the drones will never get close enough to fire on the shuttle.
          We know that destiny struggles to outrun the drones. We know the shuttle is slower than destiny.

          Which do you think will be faster? - The shuttle or the drones? Which one do you think will be at a disadvantage?

          The drones are faster, the shuttle will loose. Sure it may be like new but against so many drones it simply won't last long.

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          AND that the shields of the shuttle had been switched to the narrow frequency.
          ie in the unlikely event that the shuttle was hit by drone weapons fire it wouldn't do any damage.
          So instead they'll go kamakaze instead and just wipe the shuttle right out like they tried with destiny..

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          So there is not much risk to the shuttle with this plan at all.
          No.. not if you consider the loss of your only shuttle a minor issue. What happens the next time they need to go down to a planets surface or investigate another space ship wreck or even go aboard an alien ship like Scott and Chloe?

          Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          If they got into any difficulties they could also send out the jamming signal to temporarily disable the drones while they get away.
          Now you're talking! I like this however Eli has said in the past that he can't do this quickly but I am in agreement with you here that as long as they could pre-plan it and crack the drones communications, it could buy them a bit of time. Again though, the crew would need tobe out of stasis.
          Last edited by Energizer_Vs_ZPM; March 1, 2013, 05:38 PM.

          Comment


            #80
            Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
            What David Blue thinks happened to Eli:
            "I do think Eli survived," Blue said. "I think he would have figured out a way to get the power back on and gone on his own adventures for three years or more. And I'd like to believe that's what happened, and that's what's still happening, and maybe one day we'll find out what those adventures were."

            http://www.blastr.com/2013-2-26/davi...medium=twitter
            That would be kind of funny, if the crew awakens three years later to find Eli alive but maybe with a huge scraggly beard and a little eccentric like Harlan from "Tin Man". On the upside he's spent the past three years repairing Destiny with the repair robots to the point that she's practically new when the crew woke up.

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
              Puh-leeze. No power tools required. It's a programming problem to have the gate do what it usually does but without establishing a wormhole. Hell it could even make a wormhole, so long as it doesn't dump its buffer into the wormhole. The show's writers could easily have some combination of Eli, Destiny, Ginn, and Dr. [I-forget-her-name] solve the problem.
              IIRC on that episode, they required some cabling to connect/interface directly the gate with a DHD.. those were the tools mentioned.. Power is another issue as he gate being an older variant may not even do the standard 'storing stuff in the buffer', plus he will need to use power to get it working enough to store himself (AND leave some sort of kino footage warning to eveyrone else to bring him out when they wake.

              Comment


                #82
                Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                IIRC on that episode, they required some cabling to connect/interface directly the gate with a DHD.. those were the tools mentioned..
                Except (as I keep saying time after time and people like you continue to ignore..) the gate on destiny is A_L_R_E_A_D_Y hooked up to destinys dialling computer which isn't just a bog standard DHD, it's a computerized interface that is programmable.

                Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Power is another issue as he gate being an older variant may not even do the standard 'storing stuff in the buffer'
                Well it does though doesn't it. When they were rushing to get back aboard destiny via the gate when they found the lime someone stuck their arm in the puddle to keep the connection open. Their arm/hand didn't materialise on destiny so it IS IN A BUFFER. Why is this so hard to accept for so many people?

                Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                plus he will need to use power to get it working enough to store himself
                Yes which will probably be less than 2 weeks power keeping the entire ship running. Result.

                Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                (AND leave some sort of kino footage warning to eveyrone else to bring him out when they wake.
                Yeah I've mentioned leaving a note on the dialling computer previously..

                Comment


                  #83
                  What Energizer said.

                  We can assume the gate stores power, since we haven't been told otherwise. Let's not make up more obstacles then already exist. Eli needs enough power to get into the buffer, and it would be up to the show's writers to decide if Eli has that power or not. Again, let's not make up new obstacles. Remember, the writers could create whatever solutions please them, as long as those solutions don't contradict earlier episodes.

                  Everyone will be in stasis, except Eli in the buffer. Destiny's computer can kick him out of the buffer as soon as the ship re-fuels. Or Ginn can tell the computer do it, if you prefer the story that way.

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                    Thats fair enough but you keep coming up with power hungry ideas and ignoring the fact that people need clean air to breathe. It's a bit disturbing really to think that you can't quite grasp these basic concepts.
                    Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Power is another issue as he gate being an older variant may not even do the standard 'storing stuff in the buffer', plus he will need to use power to get it working enough to store himself (AND leave some sort of kino footage warning to eveyrone else to bring him out when they wake.
                    Energizer_Vs_ZPM, Gotta love the irony. Didn't you just rant on to me about how there wasn't enough power to keep the lights on then immediately come up with some massive power requirement solution of your own which would need far more power than what I proposed. lol

                    Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post

                    We can assume the gate stores power, since we haven't been told otherwise. Let's not make up more obstacles then already exist. Eli needs enough power to get into the buffer, and it would be up to the show's writers to decide if Eli has that power or not. Again, let's not make up new obstacles. Remember, the writers could create whatever solutions please them, as long as those solutions don't contradict earlier episodes.
                    I'm all for this. It's just too fiddly arguing over the power when we don't really know all the details of what Eli and the writers could do.

                    Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                    Survival.. interesting word of choice. See if Eli starves himself of oxygen by not going into stasis in 3 years he could be found alive by the crew but be brain dead. He's still technically survived.
                    Actually, No. If you don't breathe you just die.

                    Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                    Yes I have taken a dislike to the minimal surival option because it is not workable:
                    1) No-one can stay cooped up in a small space for three years with no entertainment. Even prisoners get a bit of contact with prison guards and other inmates unless they've been confined to solitary.
                    Let me get this straight; You think Eli will die because there is no entertainment. Hmm No.
                    Although if you were paying attention you would have seen that I said he'd be using the stones anyway so I doubt he'd be short of stuff to do.

                    Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                    <railgun>Not sure it even needs a high-tech solution.</railgun>
                    Thats an attack on the hi tech idea.
                    Not sure how me saying a low tech solution could work can be interpreted as an attack against any other solution. It's just a statement of fact.

                    I maintain that in order to survive for 3 years on Destiny Eli will need to:
                    1) Have enough oxygen
                    2) Have enough food
                    3) Have enough water
                    4) Be able to keep his body temperature at 37C
                    5) Not be exposed to harmful radiation or chemicals

                    Note none of these directly say anything about power although some will need a very small amount of power(which Eli has at his disposal).

                    Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                    What David Blue thinks happened to Eli:
                    "I do think Eli survived," Blue said. "I think he would have figured out a way to get the power back on and gone on his own adventures for three years or more. And I'd like to believe that's what happened, and that's what's still happening, and maybe one day we'll find out what those adventures were."

                    http://www.blastr.com/2013-2-26/davi...medium=twitter
                    I actually think that if the writers do not do something completely different and allow the Destiny to reach the next galaxy, Eli will be awake on the ship and able to take some action that will save the ship and crew from certain death/inconvenience.

                    One option might be that Eli realises his original calculations were off and the ship will take thousands of years drifting in space. So he takes the decision to stop the engines early and uses the power saved to gate to a planet on the outer edge of the galaxy. He then needs to seek out someone who can assist him to return to Destiny and restore power. Sets it up nicely for Eli's solo adventures.
                    Last edited by Railgun; March 4, 2013, 01:19 AM.

                    Comment


                      #85
                      Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                      Energizer_Vs_ZPM, Gotta love the irony. Didn't you just rant on to me about how there wasn't enough power to keep the lights on then immediately come up with some massive power requirement solution of your own which would need far more power than what I proposed.
                      Yeah but the gates use mega power for wormhole transmissions. Just demolecularising someone and storing the matter stream may not use a lot of power. We know that even when destiny is on empty it can still hold back enough power to keep the shields running (Light for instance) so I think its fair to assume that using the gate to store a matter stream will use less power than running a shuttle for three years.

                      As for the stones to entertain oneself... yeah thats possible but then you'd still have to confine Eli to being around the SGC / Homeworld Command area so he comes back at short notice. You couldn't leave someone on destiny for days at a time could you. Plus we don't know if the stones support remote sleep either so it's not like you could send someone there for a snooze either. Not really a plausible idea for 3 years and besides, the box the stones use needs power too - again from destiny. It just isn't feasable to run a shuttle for 3 years sapping power from the main ship although as I said before, I still don't see why destiny can't power up to max speed and then just drift the rest of the way with no drag to slow it down (which would of course then leave spare power).

                      Comment


                        #86
                        Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                        Yeah but the gates use mega power for wormhole transmissions. Just demolecularising someone and storing the matter stream may not use a lot of power. We know that even when destiny is on empty it can still hold back enough power to keep the shields running (Light for instance) so I think its fair to assume that using the gate to store a matter stream will use less power than running a shuttle for three years.
                        There is no way to assess the relative power requirements. It's not like we can just fire up a stargate and measure it.

                        Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                        the box the stones use needs power too - again from destiny.
                        The stones aren't powered by Destiny. The device must have an Ancient internal power source. Remember the ones found in Merlin's the cave in England that sent Valla to the Ori, and the similar device at the Ori end that was an Archaeological relic. So they are a self contained communication system not integrated with the ship.

                        Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                        as I said before, I still don't see why destiny can't power up to max speed and then just drift the rest of the way with no drag to slow it down (which would of course then leave spare power).
                        FTL travel is beyond our current level of Physics so we can't say why they need the power. We just have to accept that they said they did.

                        Comment


                          #87
                          I would like to believe that Eli fixed the Stasis and every one wakened at the time they should have. In my mind SG:U has at least five seasons and a movie so in that logic he should have better fixed the stasis pod.

                          Btw guys from Big Finish, I know you do SG1 and Atlantis Audio Dramas, why don't you develop some from the SG:U Storylines ? Maybe one that centers Eli and the aftermaths of the second season. I would buy that.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Since it seemed that the shuttle had it's own power I think Eli might find a way to keep it up as a liveable space for the 3 years on the energy it would have taken to stasis him. Where he has access to the databases of destiny and the time travelled decendants. When they get to where they're going Eli is basically Rush having had no human contact for three years. And yet better than Rush because he's better at math and now has a vast knowledge and understanding of Destiny's technology.

                            Comment


                              #89
                              They would have spotted something as obvious as the shuttle at the time. And what about water, food and air?

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                                Since it seemed that the shuttle had it's own power I think Eli might find a way to keep it up as a liveable space for the 3 years
                                We've already had this discussion. The lack of a toilet would be a huge problem so I'll leave it at that before going into the rest of the argument against it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X