This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    Not always. Several shows get low ratings an are still renewed.
    Yes always, it's just some shows have a lower threshold because they are cheaper to produce. Also, a show made in house (owned completely by the network) is likely to have more ratings leeway than one that is produced by another company. SGU is owned by MGM. Eureka (I -think-) is owned by SyFy. I could be wrong there. Destination Truth and Ghost Hunters are both SyFy owned and are cheap to produce (reality tv usually is) so they could essentially still make a profit with lower ratings.

Bottom line, if SyFy airs shows that costs them money to air, meaning they do not make a profit, then SyFy will go out of business and the channel will no longer be. They simply cannot afford to make it a business to air shows that do not make them money. How do you honestly think they make money? It's by the commercials that air during a show. Commercials aren't free else they wouldn't have them just to annoy us. Marketers pay for a spot to air their product. The cost of said spot is determined by how many viewers watch the show. We get that number from ratings. So a show with 15 million viewers is going to charge more for a spot than a show with 1 million. So 15 million viewer shows will make more profit than a 1 million viewer show.

SyFy is a business, not a non-profit organization. If a show does not make a profit, then it's gone or they'd go bankrupt then we'd get no sci fi.
    sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
      Yes always, it's just some shows have a lower threshold because they are cheaper to produce.
      Well it's not so much production as it is licensing fees. There is a difference, especially to the hip pocket.

Other then that, I agree with you mostly. It's about profit, bottom line. Given that we don't know what the licensing fees are for shows, and how much the network is making from advertisers and other variables, sometimes viewers are left aghast that some shows are renewed, or high rated shows that are canceled... but you can pretty much guarantee there is some profitable reason they are still on the air.
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

If anyone has wondered exactly what the "rating" and "share" terms mean, Travis Yanan (who is the one who posts the cable ratings) has a short explanation here:
        http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t...9803#748109803
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
          I can't see it reaching 3million. However, those numbers are like 700,000 higher than Warehouse 13's last episode, so if SyFy and MGM advertise SGU properly, it should be able to bring the numbers up by a fair bit and secure it a third season. It's been sticking around 2million DVR so the potential is there, that has remained the same over most of the second season. Also, no matter what the show is, if it is advertised properly you can always bring in more viewers to try it, arc-driven or not.
          You see I question whether the DVR ratings are important. The ratings are supposed give them an idea of whose watching the show but most importantly it answer whose watching the commercial and thus the justification for the charges of time for those time slots. If you're watching on DVR..you don't have to watch the commercials and I imagine most people don't.

I mean d you really see them happy with ratings that imply SGU is TV watching you can wait to see later?

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          Bland or crap or whatever, Warehouse 13 is popular because it's generally a casual show. SGU's more arc basedness with a side of character focus, will probably not give it huge amounts of ratings, even on a Tuesday.
          I concur.

Comment

Programming on Syfy:
            http://blogs.forbes.com/bizblog/2010...ent-dave-howe/
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
              Nice article. I like the idea of trion. I developed a design document for such a idea as part of my degree. My idea was way to big to ever implement for my dissertation through.
              Last edited by knowles2; 19 July 2010, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Ratings for Eureka's second episode:

Eureka (9pm)
                - 2.209 million viewers
                - 1.3/3 HH
                - 0.6/2 A18-49

Haven
                - 2.086 million viewers
                - 1.3/3 HH
                - 0.6/2 A18-49

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums?a=t...3903#237103903

Comment

Do we really need to post Eureka and Haven's ratings every week? This isn't the Haven or Eureka folder
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Do we really need to post Eureka and Haven's ratings every week? This isn't the Haven or Eureka folder
                    I thought this thread was for gauging the other SyFy shows and making predictions on how SGU will do and what SGU should have done or might have done in another time slot or will do in the Tuesday time slot. Posting the ratings seems relevant to me in that context.
                    sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

I thought this thread was for gauging the other SyFy shows and making predictions on how SGU will do and what SGU should have done or might have done in another time slot or will do in the Tuesday time slot. Posting the ratings seems relevant to me in that context.
                      It seemed relevent to me, particularly when articles such as the one on TVbytheNumbers stated:
                      Though Eureka was down a few hundred thousand viewers and dropped 0.2 of an adult 18-49 ratings point from its premiere and Haven was down 0.1, both still topped 2 million viewers and turned in fine performances on Friday, especially if Caprica and Stargate Universe are the benchmarks.
                      http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/19...ie-pilot/57553

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylee View Post
                        It seemed relevent to me, particularly when articles such as the one on TVbytheNumbers stated:
                        http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/19...ie-pilot/57553
                        Of course, SGU and Caprica aren't benchmarks. It's comparing summer ratings to fall/spring ratings. It's like comparing the ratings on skiffy (for any show) against network television.
                        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Not for Haven or Eureka which on a Friday night not Tuesday. The thread is speculating on how SGU will do given the numbers W13 is pulling in.
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                            Of course, SGU and Caprica aren't benchmarks. It's comparing summer ratings to fall/spring ratings. It's like comparing the ratings on skiffy (for any show) against network television.
                            They really are benchmarks.

Caprica ran in Jan/Feb where TV viewing is higher than the summer, and the 2nd half of SGU ran in the spring/summer with similar competition to Eureka/Haven.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              They really are benchmarks.

Caprica ran in Jan/Feb where TV viewing is higher than the summer, and the 2nd half of SGU ran in the spring/summer with similar competition to Eureka/Haven.
                              I would disagree with the 2nd statement. SGU ran against new episodes of network shows Haven/Eureka ran against reruns of network shows.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I would disagree with the 2nd statement. SGU ran against new episodes of network shows Haven/Eureka ran against reruns of network shows.
                                Exactly. The comparisons are WAY off. When you don't have the competition, that changes things. Comparing summer ratings to more prime season ratings is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X