This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
    It's interesting that it reflects the Census because any Census allows for the standard error so in collating the ratings, which are just statistics after all, do they do them properly and allow for error.
    All Nielsen subscribers can access a standard error calculator in regards to the ratings they receive from Nielsen.

Nielsen reports that subscribers get include alerts for ratings whose standard error exceeds certain thresholds.

The people who run Nielsen and the people who buy their data are well-educated in regards to statistics. Laypeople only get a glimpse at what is there.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Because I think Eureka and Haven are totally irrelvent to this conversation.
      How is it not?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
        How is it not?
        Because the topic of the original thread was about the Tuesday spot
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Because the topic of the original thread was about the Tuesday spot
          True: SGU is now on Tuesday nights not Friday nights ...however, if Eureka continues to pull in greater than 2.1 million viewers live on Friday nights, without a slide, that adds some measure of credence to those critics of the show's content and format [it's the show, not the timeslot].

Flipside is if SGU continues to have viewer ratings that are on par with second half of season 1, on Tuesday nights, that also lends credence to the critics of the show [it's the show, not the timeslot].

note: when I say it's the show, that doesn't mean that the show is "bad", SGU could be a brilliant show, with top quality acting and directing. However, even brilliant and top quality shows don't always get huge rating numbers. It could be the show is "before it's time", could be many factors, but the bottom line is the viewers, in the demographics that matter,are not watching.
          Last edited by DavidR; 28 July 2010, 09:43 AM.
          "There's Never Enough Time"

Comment

It's summer though...

Comment

Originally posted by DavidR View Post
              True: SGU is now on Tuesday nights not Friday nights ...however, if Eureka continues to pull in greater than 2.1 million viewers live on Friday nights, without a slide, that adds some measure of credence to those critics of the show's content and format [it's the show, not the timeslot].

Flipside is if SGU continues to have viewer ratings that are on par with second half of season 1, on Tuesday nights, that also lends credence to the critics of the show [it's the show, not the timeslot].
              I don't think its that simple. Their is a considerable difference between the enviroment the two shows aired in. I don't pretend to know what they are but its different making Eureka seem largely irrelevent
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                It's summer though...
                Doesn't that mean that LESS people are watching? as in Eureka is pulling better numbers with a lower audience?

SGU is still on TV. I recently saw Water on "A" Channel here in Toronto Ontario. A channel isn't exactly known for its stellar lineups. (the channels are actually being cancelled by CTV for lack of profits )
                Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                  Doesn't that mean that LESS people are watching? as in Eureka is pulling better numbers with a lower audience?

SGU is still on TV. I recently saw Water on "A" Channel here in Toronto Ontario. A channel isn't exactly known for its stellar lineups. (the channels are actually being cancelled by CTV for lack of profits )
                  It usually means less people are watching network TV. You usually don't see a drastic decline when its cable
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post

But much, much less competition. Stargate typically did better in summer months.

Comment

But much, much less competition. Stargate typically did better in summer months.
                      Wait. so you're saying the competition is what explains SGU vs Eureka's numbers?

If its competition, then maybe SGU needs to step up its game to compete, ESPECIALLY on a tuesday which is a mega night for tv.

Jelgate, What proof do you have that cable doesn't suffer from in teh summer months as well?
                      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

I'm not arguing that either is the case, just pointing out a ready-made rebuttal to a conclusion that seemed a simple one to draw on first glance. There are a million different factors at play, and barely worth debating. I'm not one of those people that is going to argue that the shows appeal is fine though, as I think it's fair to say it isn't looking at the numbers, but I would say that low ratings aren't particularly indicative of low quality either. I think they made a great show, just more of a niche one than they anticipated.

Comment

I'm not arguing that either is the case, just pointing out a ready-made rebuttal to a conclusion that seemed a simple one to draw on first glance. There are a million different factors at play, and barely worth debating. I'm not one of those people that is going to argue that the shows appeal is fine though, as I think it's fair to say it isn't looking at the numbers, but I would say that low ratings aren't particularly indicative of low quality either. I think they made a great show, just more of a niche one than they anticipated.
                          See, that we can agree on. I actually quite liked DavidR's post a few posts up.

Comment

I actually made a couple [more than a couple] of posts on the ratings thread that mentioned content/format and how that content/format made it's way into SGU as well as another show I won't mention by name. Deleted them, didn't want those posts to come back and bite me, but.... as KEK mentions, the show might have turned out "more niche" that the producers and the cable channel thought it would and the someone[s] who said there was a sizable market for them.

Those someone[s], I think I can safely say, convinced TPTB [and that's not to say SGU PTB] that was the way to go. It seems they were wrong [special note: TPTB being referenced is not Stargate PTB, lets be clear on that].

But SGU didn't do to badly in the ratings game except for a couple of episodes that dipped close to 1 million viewers.

Who knows, the switch to Tuesday nights might just be the ticket for getting the content and format that those "someone[s]" said there was a big market for, to that market that is supposed to exist and the show becomes a big hit as well as a ratings hit [in SyFy's terms of ratings. .
                            Last edited by DavidR; 28 July 2010, 02:47 PM.
                            "There's Never Enough Time"

Comment

Warehouse 13 (9pm)
                              - 2.483 million viewers
                              - 1.4/2 HH
                              - 0.8/2 A18-49

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/28...mom-more/58465
                              sigpic

Comment

I think it's the delays between NEW episodes that rock the numbers down for a lot of series. I seem to remember every other week SGU being pre-empted by something because the following monday or something was a holiday. Perhaps on Tuesdays, there will be more regular episodes and therefor fewer delays between episodes. And better numbers because people can plan on it, instead of maybe this week, perhaps not, anyone want to play miniture golf?

Not everyone has a Tivo, DVR, or other device to facilitate more casual viewing. I've only recently started checking the internet to find out what's on TV. Simply because there's no other way to find out. At best the on tv guide only goes out 24 or 48 hours. And half the time it's WRONG.

I seem to remember SGU being pre-empted by pretty much everything, including sporting events. During the summer there's what? July 4th, and Labor day. No MLB world series, Bowl games, No Easter, Christmas, T-Day, and whatever banker day of the week this week/month.

Comment

Working...
                                X