This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidR View Post
    Which fall/spring shows? SGU and Caprica? Merlin? That's not a programming problem, that's was 3 shows with content that marketing said viewers in key demo groups wanted to see.
    Not to mention Sanctuary as well. When all scripted shows are under-performing (by this I mean, not dragging in stellar audiences), that is a programing problem. What else would you classify it as?

"Imagine Greater" seems to mean "reality TV is the greatest". Skiffy are having mixed content issues that I think drag down more of the 'out of reality' sci-fi shows during the fall/spring seasons.
    Last edited by Deevil; 14 July 2010, 07:52 AM.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
      Not to mention Sanctuary as well. When all scripted shows are under-performing (by this I mean, not dragging in stellar audiences), that is a programing problem. What else would you classify it as?

"Imagine Greater" seems to mean "reality TV is the greatest". Skiffy are having mixed content issues that I think drag down more of the 'out of reality' sci-fi shows during the fall/spring seasons.
      I think we have to be careful of declaring the network's success or failure without actually looking at data. The network has devised a "yearlong" strategy of programming so that they don't have super-highs in their ratings followed by periods of super-lows.

A website called medialifemagazine.com publishes a cable recap every week that provides each networks primetime average.

Comparing the week that SGU had its finale to a similar week the prior year. (http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...oyal_Pains.asp) you'll find that Syfy average 869,000 viewers in 2010 to 770,000 in 2009. That's a 13% increase.

For Adults 25-54, it averaged 770,000 in 2010 and didn't make the top 10 in 2009, but #10 was 595,000. So, it was up in demos as well.

In the end, the network always wants its overall ratings to be better than the year before.

While this example only looks at one week, I wouldn't declare the Spring season a failure for Syfy until you look at the ratings evidence first and compare it to the previous Spring.

Comment

SGU: Incursion, Part 2 - 11 June 2010, 9pm

- 1.469 million viewers
        - 1.0/2 HH
        - 0.5/2 A18-49

Merlin: season finale - 2 July 2010, 10pm

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/06...ale-more/56222

- 1.491 million viewers
        - 0.9/2 HH
        - 0.4/1 A18-49

- both season finales
        - only a three weeks difference
        - 9pm vs. 10pm
        - expensive (SGU) vs. cheap (Merlin)

I think that Syfy is more satisfied with Merlin's ratings than with SGU's ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Beka View Post
          SGU: Incursion, Part 2 - 11 June 2010, 9pm

- 1.469 million viewers
          - 1.0/2 HH
          - 0.5/2 A18-49

Merlin: season finale - 2 July 2010, 10pm

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/06...ale-more/56222

- 1.491 million viewers
          - 0.9/2 HH
          - 0.4/1 A18-49

- both season finales
          - only a three weeks difference
          - 9pm vs. 10pm
          - expensive (SGU) vs. cheap (Merlin)

I think that Syfy is more satisfied with Merlin's ratings than with SGU's ratings.
          You overlooking that while the Merlin finale had more viewers, SGU had better HH and demos
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            You overlooking that while the Merlin finale had more viewers, SGU had better HH and demos
            lol, guess .1 is a very significant and large number.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
              lol, guess .1 is a very significant and large number.
              Neither is 20,000 viewers but the comparasion was still made
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I didn't overlook it. Merlin is MUCH cheaper than SGU and aired later in the evening. (There are generally more viewers at 9pm than at 10pm.) So Merlin doesn't need as many viewers as SGU to be considered a success.

SGU should easily beat Merlin by a few hundred thousand viewers EVERY week. I bet that Syfy expected much more of SGU before the start of the season.

Comment

This weeks Warehouse 13 ratings (the one with Jewel Staite and Sean Maher(Firefly))
                  Warehouse 13 (9pm)
                  - 2.330 million viewers
                  - 1.4/2 HH
                  - 0.7/2 A18-49
                  http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/14...ale-more/57177

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylee View Post
                    This weeks Warehouse 13 ratings (the one with Jewel Staite and Sean Maher(Firefly))
                    Warehouse 13 (9pm)
                    Dang, gotta catch up on the episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
                      I think we have to be careful of declaring the network's success or failure without actually looking at data. The network has devised a "yearlong" strategy of programming so that they don't have super-highs in their ratings followed by periods of super-lows.
                      To be fair I didn't declare it a failure. I said it didn't perform overly well - there is a difference. Although, you do raise an interesting point - they want steady ratings, something which even SGU provide them. I think, in some respects, that SGU and even Sanctuary are somewhat carried by their more successful shows. It wouldn't be the first time a network has seemingly done the same.

Comparing the week that SGU had its finale to a similar week the prior year. (http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...oyal_Pains.asp) you'll find that Syfy average 869,000 viewers in 2010 to 770,000 in 2009. That's a 13% increase.
                      That's interesting... Cheers for that.
                      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        I think it's anybody's guess as to what the heck you just said.
                        Approach it from IF incursion 2 was the last SGU episode EVER. i.e. Cancelled. For all intents, until LATE september (2+ months from now), that is exactly what it is. How many viewers will MISS the premier because, oops I forget that that was this week? Or I didn't know it moved days? Or damn, I already made plans that day. Kind of moot with broadband and hulu. Or a DVR. But still not everyone owns a computer, DVR, has broadband, or subscribes to TV Guide. Even though they may have many of the other common tech toys. i.e. Casual viewers.

I find certain series (which I like) difficult to watch when they're constantly shifting from time slot to time slot, even days of the week. It's a bit like watching LOST episode 1, episode 3, episode 2, episode 5, episode 4, and so forth. It's all the same content, but stops making sense at a certain point. Which would imply that it made any sense to start with. But still. I can only assume that series like Sanctuary were cancelled. Without actually googling it's status, or going to their homepage, or reading the SyFy schedule for an ENTIRE YEAR. Why would I make that assumption? Becuase I haven't seen a new episode in MONTHs. Or any ads notifying me of it's "status". Much like SGU will be over the next couple of months. I have certain times available to watch shows. I turn on the tube, if there's something good on I watch it, if not, I turn it off and do something else. Or just flip it to GAC and leave it on as background noise.

Or in the case of current SyFy, I expect certain content on Fridays and plan accordingly. Come friday, I turn it on the an S. King marathon has pre-empted my expectations with shows I've already seen 30 times. Bump through the guide for the next 48 hours (if it lets me) and change my viewing plans to camping plans since there's nothing of interest on. If I'm going to be bored, I can do that in the middle of a jungle just as well as I can do it in my living room.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                          To be fair I didn't declare it a failure. I said it didn't perform overly well - there is a difference.
                          Another way to say what I said is "we have to be careful of judging a network's performance". "success or failure" is another way to say it. I know you didn't literally say it was a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                            Approach it from IF incursion 2 was the last SGU episode EVER. i.e. Cancelled. For all intents, until LATE september (2+ months from now), that is exactly what it is. How many viewers will MISS the premier because, oops I forget that that was this week? Or I didn't know it moved days? Or damn, I already made plans that day. Kind of moot with broadband and hulu. Or a DVR. But still not everyone owns a computer, DVR, has broadband, or subscribes to TV Guide. Even though they may have many of the other common tech toys. i.e. Casual viewers.

I find certain series (which I like) difficult to watch when they're constantly shifting from time slot to time slot, even days of the week. It's a bit like watching LOST episode 1, episode 3, episode 2, episode 5, episode 4, and so forth. It's all the same content, but stops making sense at a certain point. Which would imply that it made any sense to start with. But still. I can only assume that series like Sanctuary were cancelled. Without actually googling it's status, or going to their homepage, or reading the SyFy schedule for an ENTIRE YEAR. Why would I make that assumption? Becuase I haven't seen a new episode in MONTHs. Or any ads notifying me of it's "status". Much like SGU will be over the next couple of months. I have certain times available to watch shows. I turn on the tube, if there's something good on I watch it, if not, I turn it off and do something else. Or just flip it to GAC and leave it on as background noise.

Or in the case of current SyFy, I expect certain content on Fridays and plan accordingly. Come friday, I turn it on the an S. King marathon has pre-empted my expectations with shows I've already seen 30 times. Bump through the guide for the next 48 hours (if it lets me) and change my viewing plans to camping plans since there's nothing of interest on. If I'm going to be bored, I can do that in the middle of a jungle just as well as I can do it in my living room.
                            Err, right what's your point because reading your posts normally leaves me with this expression.

because I'm trying desperately to make heads or tails of your post.

Really your post doesn't make any sense, why would even a casual viewer think SGU was cancelled, when at the end of Incursion Part 2 there's a trailer for season 2 saying coming this fall?

As for the problems of having gaps between seasons, how is this different to any other show? Every show apart from daily soaps has gaps, so they can do things like, you know produce the show, give people time off etc. It's why theirs normally then a splurge of advertising just before the premier of a new season, to let viewers know a show is back and what time it's on. But there's nothing abnormal about a 3 month gap between seasons, with many shows having gaps of many more months or even a ear or so between seasons. Most people who will actually be intrested in watching the show will probably have the gumption to pick up a tv times or do a quick search into google, if there not sure.

Comment

For me the most frustrating thing is syfy's lack of commitment when it comes to advertising the show. I've seen ads for their new reality show "mary knows best" EVERYWHERE. Online, in print and on TV. Heck i even saw a commercial for it on network television during primetime tonight!

Sure viewership will probably drop off after week 1 like most shows, but the fact that they have invested so heavily in promoting this show (which i have absolutely zero interest in) while doing far less for SGU annoys me quite a bit. Hopefully they will take this lack of investment into consideration when deciding to renew for season 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                                Approach it from IF incursion 2 was the last SGU episode EVER. i.e. Cancelled. For all intents, until LATE september (2+ months from now), that is exactly what it is.
                                No, it's on hiatus which all show go on because they aren't on 52 weeks a year. Most television viewers, whether experienced or not are quite used to, and knowledgable of the summer hiatus shows go through.

How many viewers will MISS the premier because, oops I forget that that was this week? Or I didn't know it moved days? Or damn, I already made plans that day.
                                This is where marketing helps. They advertise the date that the show is going to return. It's broadcasting 101.

But still. I can only assume that series like Sanctuary were cancelled.
                                Of course, logically, if you cared enough about teh show to make the unilateral decision because you haven't heard anything that it's canceled. You might actually google it.

something good on I watch it, if not, I turn it off and do something else. Or just flip it to GAC and leave it on as background noise.
                                And if you are a casual viewer, and you flip channels you are just as likely to find the new season of the show. So, your point?

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
                                Another way to say what I said is "we have to be careful of judging a network's performance". "success or failure" is another way to say it. I know you didn't literally say it was a failure.
                                Of course you have to be careful when judging a networks performance. We don't have all the information that the network has on hand, so it's difficult to have an accurate opinion. From the outside looking in, the numbers in the Fall/Spring season are not stellar in relation to scripted series. That being said, that could be perfectly acceptable by Skiffy's standards because they may be getting the interest in programing that they had initially hoped for - even without the OTT OmG numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X