Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate to say it, but they are going to compare the most recent shows that aired on Friday. SGU's and Merlin's last couple of eps aired literally weeks between Eureka's new eps.

So those shows become a benchmark.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Hate to say it, but they are going to compare the most recent shows that aired on Friday. SGU's and Merlin's last couple of eps aired literally weeks between Eureka's new eps.

So those shows become a benchmark.
      Just because the comparassion is made doesn't mean its right or accurate. Your anger at the SGA/SGU comparassions is proof of that
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Just because the comparassion is made doesn't mean its right or accurate. Your anger at the SGA/SGU comparassions is proof of that
        I'm not angry at that anymore..........well given the numbers are somewhat neck and neck, there is nothing to spin, but I understand why they did it. SGA was the benchmark for a Stargate to run on Friday. When SGU premieres in the fall, the first season will be the benchmark, along with W13's last couple of eps.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
          Exactly. The comparisons are WAY off. When you don't have the competition, that changes things. Comparing summer ratings to more prime season ratings is ridiculous.
          There's no network competition on Friday nights regardless whether it's in the summer or the fall. There were no major shows detracting from SGU's finale that would have led to the 1.1 million.

Besides, summer shows have one major thing against them, there are millions less viewers as it's nice out so people are out more.
          sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
            There's no network competition on Friday nights regardless whether it's in the summer or the fall. There were no major shows detracting from SGU's finale that would have led to the 1.1 million.
            That's not true. There are first run shows running on Friday nights in the fall, that is competition. The same is not true for the Summer.

As for the ratings of the finale, yeah they weren't great. But given the entire show aired in a prime season, it's not beynd the realm that people didn't decide to tune in for the finale.

Besides, summer shows have one major thing against them, there are millions less viewers as it's nice out so people are out t's more.
            You know, I've never bought the "it's nice out, most people are playing in summer" for less people watching TV. First, it's not nice out all over the country. Some places it's nicer to stay in. Second, if you are running predominately re-runs, that's gonna affect how many people bother to sit their backsides in front of the TV.

I can't prove it, but that's my take. There are a number of first run shows that rate quite well during summer months to justify my stance here.

@Briangate: I see your point, but I think using SGA as a benchmark (although, I still find it not wholly accurate or fair) makes more sense then comparing a show that airs in the summer in it's entirety to one that primarily airs in the fall/spring.
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

That's not true. There are first run shows running on Friday nights in the fall, that is competition. The same is not true for the Summer.

As for the ratings of the finale, yeah they weren't great. But given the entire show aired in a prime season, it's not beynd the realm that people didn't decide to tune in for the finale.

You know, I've never bought the "it's nice out, most people are playing in summer" for less people watching TV. First, it's not nice out all over the country. Some places it's nicer to stay in. Second, if you are running predominately re-runs, that's gonna affect how many people bother to sit their backsides in front of the TV.

I can't prove it, but that's my take. There are a number of first run shows that rate quite well during summer months to justify my stance here.

@Briangate: I see your point, but I think using SGA as a benchmark (although, I still find it not wholly accurate or fair) makes more sense then comparing a show that airs in the summer in it's entirety to one that primarily airs in the fall/spring.
              Actually, most shows are not put on Fridays because it's notorious for being a dead spot for viewers. Most, there are exceptions, but most shows that are first run on Fridays, on other networks, do not survive there past a season. There are exceptions to that, like the X-Files, and SyFy Friday. The shows SGU was going up with on Friday did not carry much weight. Most of them weren't well known. This is part of some people's arguments for why the move to Tuesday will be good. The only reason broadcast networks put a first run show on Friday night is because they want it to fail. At least that was the mentality when I worked at NBC. Once we axed the Friday first run show, they'd throw in Dateline or reruns of Law & Order. I honestly do not think much has changed. Anyone who has ever watched the major networks in the United States on Friday night can attest to that. I saw that time and again over the five years I worked there. A show starts to suck in ratings, they move it to Friday and a month later, it's axed.

I never meant to imply that you said people were out in the summer. I said that. It is the reason why NBC doesn't air their valuable scripted flair then. Instead, summer is the height of reality television like Fear Factor and all those romance shows. People do not stay at home and watch television when the weather is warmer and the sun doesn't set til 9pm. It's why major television season starts in autumn.

Anyone can argue against either of my claims all they want. It won't change the fact that I learned these things while working for NBC. I haven't forgotten much I don't think since they wanted me to come back and work for them again.

But really, you're right Eureka and W13 aren't going up against Dancing with the Stars, Glee, NCIS, or V. SGU will likely be competing with one of those and that will be different. I just don't recall seeing any major heavy hitting shows on the Friday ratings list with SGU. Next season will be a different ball game.
              sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

The only reason broadcast networks put a first run show on Friday night is because they want it to fail. At least that was the mentality when I worked at NBC.
                I mostly agree with you on Friday viewing, even that it's an intentional graveyard on network TV. What I am saying though is, it is still competition when a show is up against a first run show. May not be the most competitive, but it's still competition.

Up against a re-run, not competition.

It is the reason why NBC doesn't air their valuable scripted flair then. Instead, summer is the height of reality television like Fear Factor and all those romance shows. People do not stay at home and watch television when the weather is warmer and the sun doesn't set til 9pm. It's why major television season starts in autumn.
                As I said, I think people assume that folks wont watch in summer (yes I realise it's because historically it didn;t work)... but I reckon if they threw in some new scripted series during those months that the networks may be more active then they first thought.

That being said, I can't say I really want them to do that. I don't need any new shows to get involved in.

But really, you're right Eureka and W13 aren't going up against Dancing with the Stars, Glee, NCIS, or V. SGU will likely be competing with one of those and that will be different. I just don't recall seeing any major heavy hitting shows on the Friday ratings list with SGU. Next season will be a different ball game.
                Good news is it wont be Glee. Glee is moving to Wednesday nights... It's really now waiting to see what time SGU is going to air. I personally think the 10pm would be a better choice, but it's skiffy, it's hard to tell what they are going to do.
                Last edited by Deevil; 20 July 2010, 01:26 AM.
                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Good news is it wont be Glee. Glee is moving to Wednesday nights... It's really now waiting to see what time SGU is going to air. I personally think the 10pm would be a better choice, but it's skiffy, it's hard to tell what they are going to do.
                  That's excellent news. Anyone know the original order of SGU and Sanctuary? I was thinking Sanctuary aired at 10pm, after SGU. I'd say if both shows move, then it's likely they may keep their order. It's just a guess though as I've really no idea what they will do. 10pm though, I agree, is better than the 9pm slot, which is slightly better than the 8pm slot. I know many others have said this, but 10pm does seem like the best choice.
                  sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Since this seems to be the de facto ratings thread:
                    Tweets between Ted Linhart (VP of Program Research at USA Network) and a fan.

sfnn06: @TedOnTV How many households actually have Nielson boxes? And how is it broken down by age demo?

TedOnTV: @sfinn06 There are about 20,000 boxes installed - appx 8000 used per day for national cable ratings. Demo break down reflects US Census

sfnn06: @TedOnTV Crazy that so few boxes "represent" so many viewers. When will the "system" catch up with current tech? Surely better ways exist

TedOnTV: @sfinn06 Holy grail of using people's cable boxes/ TiVos etc way off they all have dif software cant gather uniform data / many other probs

TedOnTV: @sfinn06 People are exploring better ways but it is VERY complicated, expensive and full of pitfalls -we talk about it all the time

Comment

Just a note: cable TV is not broadcast TV therefore what a broadcast station might do isn't necessarily what a cable channel would do. [even NBC Universal "suits" know this]

Also, time slots do need to be filled if the channel or station is on the air. While broadcast might send a new series stinker to the Friday graveyard, what they really are doing is taking a poor performing show from a prime spot and moving it to a poor spot so that their prime spot is available. If the new series continues with it's ratings slide, which usually always happens, the series is cancelled. But there still needs to be a show in that Friday time slot. Syndicated shows, "reruns" of proven shows [so there are some decent ratings draw for the time slot to sell ad time].
                      "There's Never Enough Time"

Comment

Im actually not too concerned about SGUs numbers for the fall. Im confident itll get a third season. The only thing im interested in is will it just scrape by..(like 1.4-1.6 average).. or will it exceed (1.7-1.9 average). Personally I think it'll most likely get a 1.5-1.7 average IMO. What about you guys?

Supprised Haven and Eureka went that much down. Haven, I could understand. But eureka???? No clue how anyone could not want to see more after that stellar season premier.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylee View Post
                          Since this seems to be the de facto ratings thread:
                          Tweets between Ted Linhart (VP of Program Research at USA Network) and a fan.

sfnn06: @TedOnTV How many households actually have Nielson boxes? And how is it broken down by age demo?

TedOnTV: @sfinn06 There are about 20,000 boxes installed - appx 8000 used per day for national cable ratings. Demo break down reflects US Census

sfnn06: @TedOnTV Crazy that so few boxes "represent" so many viewers. When will the "system" catch up with current tech? Surely better ways exist

TedOnTV: @sfinn06 Holy grail of using people's cable boxes/ TiVos etc way off they all have dif software cant gather uniform data / many other probs

TedOnTV: @sfinn06 People are exploring better ways but it is VERY complicated, expensive and full of pitfalls -we talk about it all the time
                          It's interesting that it reflects the Census because any Census allows for the standard error so in collating the ratings, which are just statistics after all, do they do them properly and allow for error.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidR View Post
                            Just a note: cable TV is not broadcast TV therefore what a broadcast station might do isn't necessarily what a cable channel would do. [even NBC Universal "suits" know this]

Also, time slots do need to be filled if the channel or station is on the air. While broadcast might send a new series stinker to the Friday graveyard, what they really are doing is taking a poor performing show from a prime spot and moving it to a poor spot so that their prime spot is available. If the new series continues with it's ratings slide, which usually always happens, the series is cancelled. But there still needs to be a show in that Friday time slot. Syndicated shows, "reruns" of proven shows [so there are some decent ratings draw for the time slot to sell ad time].
                            Right, my point was that SGU had very little competition on Friday nights. It probably suffered more from the lack of overall viewers than from competition from other shows. The broadcast networks really are the only major source of competition. USA sometimes has gems, but not on the level of CW, FOX, NBC, ABC, and CBS. Besides, USA and SyFy are owned by the same people so they probably try to "help" each other out when they can rather than go head to head a lot with programming.
                            sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Right, my point was that SGU had very little competition on Friday nights. It probably suffered more from the lack of overall viewers than from competition from other shows. The broadcast networks really are the only major source of competition. USA sometimes has gems, but not on the level of CW, FOX, NBC, ABC, and CBS. Besides, USA and SyFy are owned by the same people so they probably try to "help" each other out when they can rather than go head to head a lot with programming.
                              The shows may not be considered competitive enough for the bigger nights, but that doesn't mean it isn't competitive for a Friday night... each night has its own competition. Add to that anything that airs on network television is likely to attract more viewers - full stop. But cable television also competes against cable and premium cable.

Of course it suffered from lack of overall viewers, but I am not prepared to say that it had nothing to do with the competition on other networks/channels.

Comment

Yes always, it's just some shows have a lower threshold because they are cheaper to produce. Also, a show made in house (owned completely by the network) is likely to have more ratings leeway than one that is produced by another company. SGU is owned by MGM. Eureka (I -think-) is owned by SyFy. I could be wrong there. Destination Truth and Ghost Hunters are both SyFy owned and are cheap to produce (reality tv usually is) so they could essentially still make a profit with lower ratings.

Bottom line, if SyFy airs shows that costs them money to air, meaning they do not make a profit, then SyFy will go out of business and the channel will no longer be. They simply cannot afford to make it a business to air shows that do not make them money. How do you honestly think they make money? It's by the commercials that air during a show. Commercials aren't free else they wouldn't have them just to annoy us. Marketers pay for a spot to air their product. The cost of said spot is determined by how many viewers watch the show. We get that number from ratings. So a show with 15 million viewers is going to charge more for a spot than a show with 1 million. So 15 million viewer shows will make more profit than a 1 million viewer show.

SyFy is a business, not a non-profit organization. If a show does not make a profit, then it's gone or they'd go bankrupt then we'd get no sci fi.
                                I wonder if PBS would pick up SGU...
                                Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                                Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                                Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Working...
                                X