Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you say stargate universe is sci-fi.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
    True, I have seen that. There's nothing more boring when that happens. I also cannot stand shows that show the characters sitting around talking about stuff for long periods, and not actually showing it. It's been a pet peeve of mine since we had to watch out for that in our scenes in my scriptwriting class.
    Well, you can make the scenes where people sitting around interesting. It's about throwing action into it, and by implying the camera angles and such... 12 Angry Men for example.

But just writing people talking around a table with no actions? Not good. An excess of exposition whether verbal or visual aren't always a good idea and tends to create a boring experience.

That being said, there are exceptions to every rule.
    Last edited by Deevil; 16 December 2009, 10:16 PM.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
      But in accepting the drama you are sacrificing action, which in a way drama is becoming the new face of sci-fi TV it seems.
      BiteSue me.
      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Sci-fi shows have always had drama. Star trek was full of drama, some episodes were all drama. I'd say that good, well written drama is a necessity in any decent sci-fi show.

I always thought SG1 had plenty of drama in it....sure, there was a good dose of action, but it's not like it was a GI-Joe style explosionfest. And "action" doesn't just mean "stuff blowing up" - action in its strictest sense simply means that we see things happening that progress the plot.

I don't think the fact that SGU has drama is the problem, it's more the heavy exclusion of action in favour of lots of drama, and the focus of that drama on subjects that are of little relevance to the overall plot and on areas that we, the viewers, have been given little reason to be interested in.

And I guess that's how sci-fi can be defined, by the focus of the story elements. If the focus is on concepts that are beyond everyday human experience, that are somehow extraordinary in their very nature, and there is an appreciation that the viewers are interested in the technical aspects of what goes on in the show; if the majority of the core problems that are focused on in the storylines have technical solutions, and the audience is presented with concepts that stimulate wonder, imagination and an interest in science, then it's science fiction. At least, that's my attempt to define it. And I don't think SGU falls under my definition, at least. Not yet anyway. I hope it will soon.

Science fiction and romantic/family dramas have always been like chalk and cheese. They just don't mix. Sure, you can have romance in a sci-fi show, and you can have some technical elements in a romantic drama, but trying to turn one into the other would be like Jane Austen writing a sequel to Pride and Prejudice in which martians try to take over the world and it's up to Elizabeth Bennett to foil their dastardly invasion plans.

SGU is like a device trying to attract both north and south poles of a magnet, and I worry that it is likely to end up repelling them both instead.

Comment

That was a great post.

Comment

Why thank you kind sir.

Comment

What about Zombie Pride and Prejudice?

Anyhow, I don't think the main compliant about SGU is 'drama' so much as 'teen drama', due to the sheer number of teenagers on the show who've joined the military, found they have 9yo kids, dropped out of MIT, and served as senatorial aides.
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by BobG View Post
                Sci-fi shows have always had drama. Star trek was full of drama, some episodes were all drama. I'd say that good, well written drama is a necessity in any decent sci-fi show.

I always thought SG1 had plenty of drama in it....sure, there was a good dose of action, but it's not like it was a GI-Joe style explosionfest. And "action" doesn't just mean "stuff blowing up" - action in its strictest sense simply means that we see things happening that progress the plot.

I don't think the fact that SGU has drama is the problem, it's more the heavy exclusion of action in favour of lots of drama, and the focus of that drama on subjects that are of little relevance to the overall plot and on areas that we, the viewers, have been given little reason to be interested in.

And I guess that's how sci-fi can be defined, by the focus of the story elements. If the focus is on concepts that are beyond everyday human experience, that are somehow extraordinary in their very nature, and there is an appreciation that the viewers are interested in the technical aspects of what goes on in the show; if the majority of the core problems that are focused on in the storylines have technical solutions, and the audience is presented with concepts that stimulate wonder, imagination and an interest in science, then it's science fiction. At least, that's my attempt to define it. And I don't think SGU falls under my definition, at least. Not yet anyway. I hope it will soon.

Science fiction and romantic/family dramas have always been like chalk and cheese. They just don't mix. Sure, you can have romance in a sci-fi show, and you can have some technical elements in a romantic drama, but trying to turn one into the other would be like Jane Austen writing a sequel to Pride and Prejudice in which martians try to take over the world and it's up to Elizabeth Bennett to foil their dastardly invasion plans.

SGU is like a device trying to attract both north and south poles of a magnet, and I worry that it is likely to end up repelling them both instead.
                *O'Neill, "I was going to say that!"*
                My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                  Anyhow, I don't think the main compliant about SGU is 'drama' so much as 'teen drama', due to the sheer number of teenagers on the show who've joined the military, found they have 9yo kids, dropped out of MIT, and served as senatorial aides.
                  There are no teenagers on the show.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                      There are no teenagers on the show.
                      They are rarely teens in "Teen" movies, but I think a point is intoned here
                      My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                      sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                        I respectfully disagree with you sir....What? I can't use Sir? FINE!

I Disagree with you!

No, seriously. I can't think of a teen flick with out...well....teens.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                          That would be wrong. To even bee classified as a teen movie, teen drama, etc their has to be some indication of teens.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            That would be wrong. To even bee classified as a teen movie, teen drama, etc their has to be some indication of teens.
                            The only thing that comes to mind is Beverly Hills 90210. How old were they? Like 30-35? 40? Playing teens. LOL

I think there are quite a few shows now though that have teens playing teens.
                            sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

No, .... and yes.

No in the sense that it is made "scifi like" but it is not that, it is drama on a scifi environment. The show itself is not SciFi.

Yes in the sense that I have let to believe it happens on some spaceship I have never got to know that particularly well and there are some sort of funky mind controlling stones to chat with moms if you start feeling homesick.

EDIT:

Originally posted by BobG View Post

I had to quote this whole wall of text just because I can't express my mind in any other way about how much I agree with this person.

Thank you. You sir ..... you deserve +1 internet *salutes*
                              Last edited by Powershard; 17 December 2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
                                The only thing that comes to mind is Beverly Hills 90210. How old were they? Like 30-35? 40? Playing teens. LOL

I think there are quite a few shows now though that have teens playing teens.
                                The show is still about teens and that's an important ingredient in a teen show - teenagers. The age of the actors really don't count.

Although 90210 was hilarious, especially when they started to look their age .
                                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                                X