Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you say stargate universe is sci-fi.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure the idea of the thread is not to be discussing each other, and being generally rude and demeaning, rather it's to discuss the topic. Maybe we can get back to that, hmm?
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Mkay. Compared to the ECW wrestling, the Cha$e reality show, the Candid-camera style Scare Tactics, and who-knows-what-else on Syfy, Stargate Universe is definitely SciFi.

I dare anyone to disagree.

Comment

You want to whine and complain about other fans, please go find another forum to play on
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carter1994 View Post
          Mkay. Compared to the ECW wrestling, the Cha$e reality show, the Candid-camera style Scare Tactics, and who-knows-what-else on Syfy, Stargate Universe is definitely SciFi.
          ... you mean "SyFy".
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
            Gee, why not ignore my post and the difficult questions for you it poses, and why not focus on semantics. If I didn’t disagree with you and think you were talking sense it wouldn’t make much sense for me to post an opposing argument would it?
            Who want's to argue, he was just making an obseravtion, not looking for a duel, he simply answered with the same sarcasm your post implied.

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
            I'm pretty sure the idea of the thread is not to be discussing each other, and being generally rude and demeaning, rather it's to discuss the topic. Maybe we can get back to that, hmm?
            Thankyou Deevil

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            You want to whine and complain about other fans, please go find another forum to play on

And on topic, SGU is trying to be, maybe, but not fully there yet, there are a couple of somewhat less than sc-fi issues which I'm sure they will resolve soon

wonderful sig by my little sister Mel, kind of reminds me of the missus and me

Comment

Quite obviously it is sci fi. Need anyone say more?
              Tst

Comment

Originally posted by benoz777 View Post
                Who want's to argue, he was just making an obseravtion, not looking for a duel, he simply answered with the same sarcasm your post implied.
                My post was simply a counterpoint to his if you would actually care to read it. If he didn’t want to reply to it he didn’t have to, but he could have actually addressed my points when he did.

Comment

I don't know if Stargate is Science Fiction, but I've created a web site for people to express their opinion in the matter, called Is it Science Fiction?:

Comment

My post was simply a counterpoint to his if you would actually care to read it. If he didn’t want to reply to it he didn’t have to, but he could have actually addressed my points when he did.
                    I did not address all your points because it was totally unnecessary, you said all you wanted to say and I had nothing to add but a return quip of sarcasm, in the same vein as your reply. I don't get into the semantics of braking it all down into relevant points and counter points, I can't sit here that long, I don't have the time, nor the physical effort it requires for me to answer such a long and complex post. I simply offered an opinion without jumping down anyone else post, you would be wise to do the same, without going out of your way to offend people.

Now back on topic, though SGU is based on a sci-fi theme, imo, there are certain contexts being introduced, that is taking it away from what is generally excepted in that medium.
                    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

To answer the OP's question...
                      Is SGU scifi = yes.
                      Is SGU 'traditional' Sci-Fi = No.

SG1 and SGA were much more what most people imho consider 'traditional scifi', encountering aliens on a weekly basis, getting yourselves in sticky situations and getting yourselves back out of them in the same episode, all without crossing any moral or ethical boundaries (most of the time), showing that right is > wrong.

SGU is more of a scifi drama, in the same vein as BSG, but not a 'BSG clone' as some people feared prior to it's airing.
                      The scifi element is there (they're on a space ship hurtling through the galaxy, pretty hard to miss!), but much more of the focus is on how the characters react to their situation, rather than on the situation itself, thus making it more drama than sci-fi.

SG has stuck mostly to the traditional scifi formula for the last 10+ years, PTB realised that it is time to mix things up a little if the franchise is going to continue to survive and grow.
                      Star Trek made the mistake of sticking to the same 'traditional scifi' formula for too long, with the notable exception of DS9, a show which imho was ahead of its time.

I can only speak for myself of course, but I enjoyed BSG for it's fresh approach to Sci-fi, and SGU has taken the best parts of that and, to coin an overused X-Factor phrase, 'made them its own'.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                        I did not address all your points because it was totally unnecessary, you said all you wanted to say and I had nothing to add but a return quip of sarcasm, in the same vein as your reply. I don't get into the semantics of braking it all down into relevant points and counter points, I can't sit here that long, I don't have the time, nor the physical effort it requires for me to answer such a long and complex post. I simply offered an opinion without jumping down anyone else post, you would be wise to do the same, without going out of your way to offend people.

Now back on topic, though SGU is based on a sci-fi theme, imo, there are certain contexts being introduced, that is taking it away from what is generally excepted in that medium.
                        Except there was no sarcasm in my post so why the need for it in your reply? As for the “newer” elements to sgu, they might be new to tv scifi, to literary scifi however they are old hat.

Comment

Hell your entire post is rubbish imo.
                          That's not sarcasm?

Comment

That's not sarcasm?
                            No that’s me stating an opinion that I don’t think your post is very good. If it were sarcasm the ironic rhetoric would mean that I would be suggesting that I actually believe the opposite of what I’m saying, which clearly with the rest that post being a counterpoint to yours isn’t the case.

Comment

That's not sarcasm?
                              Wow, you are really good at reading sarcasm!

Spoiler:
                              Surprise: I was being sarcastic!
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

No that’s me stating an opinion that I don’t think your post is very good. If it were sarcasm the ironic rhetoric would mean that I would be suggesting that I actually believe the opposite of what I’m saying, which clearly with the rest that post being a counterpoint to yours isn’t the case.
                                Are you related to Sir Humphrey Appleby? Can't you just say "I disagree with you." Without writing a short novel? And adding insult as you previously did

Comment

Working...
                                X