This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion View Post
    Nooooooooooooo! Since this show is made in Canada, I'm afraid that Tim Horton's will corner the coffee in the galaxy! bwahahahah!
    LOL Timmy's if there were any Canadians on SGU it would be a golden joke especially since they've already mentioned caffine. "I always expect to see a timmy's right aroun the corner... need... highly processed... coffee... "

Hahahahha it's so true, you can't throw a stone and not hit a timmy's

Comment

Originally posted by Hypochondriac View Post
      I'm curious do you guys think Eli will lose weight or will it be like that character on lost.
      Its funny but its one of those things that I asked when I was watching Air pt 3 and Eli was out on the "mission". If they want to add "realism" to the situation then all of the actors should start loosing weight while they are on the goop diet.

To be fair I don't think DB is "fat", believe me my cadre of friends are all spods i know what sedentary life does to the human body:/ . He has classic computer users stoop, the rounded shoulders thing, which can make you look bigger than you are because your upper body leans slightly forward making everything compress and the spine rounded. Plus he wears a ensemble of baggy clothes which hides his body definition so its hard to tell if its just mass or fat.

But in reality even if it is fat, having watched a friend who is equally body shaped, go on a fitness regimen and diet I have to say you probably wouldn't notice much change until about 3-6 months relative time in at whcih point you would probably notice that his clothes were a bit baggier and that his face was a bit less round.
      Well, let me see - we've got slow death, quick death, painful death, cold, lonely death.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        Fat = less hungry? Not necessarily true. Hunger is also a learned behavior, kind of like smoking.

Also, people who are fat and aren't eating good food with vitamins can suffer from malnutrition. Malnutrition has nothing to do with the size of a person, and everything to do with the nutritional value of the food people eat. Foods that are high in fat, salt and heavily processed do not = nutritious food.

A vast portion of overweight people are suffering from malnutrition, so there is no reason - for realism's sake - to assume Eli wouldn't be suffering it too.
        I wasn't saying fat = less hungry, just that in this particular scenario, being the fat guy with a slower metabolism might actually help him in a low-calorie/no fat intake situation. Hunger will decrease as the stomach contracts more and more as it is getting used less.

The malnutrition angle I was going for was the fact that as far as I can tell from the constancy of the powders on screen, they are using what appears to be military Cal/Cam powder (essentially vitamins and amino acids, designed to be put in your water in your canteen when you can't carry food- it also tastes like a sweatsock), powdered protein mix and rice flour/farina. There is around zero fat in that mix. If what I think is flour is in fact any other supply I can think of, there still would be nearly no fat in it. This is going to lead to serious issues if they don't get some source of fat fairly soon for most of the crew. Malabsorbtion of vitamins A,D and K (fat soluble only) will lead to severe muscle fatigue, cramps, bloating, vision problems (night blindness very quickly, a problem on our badly lit ship.), not to mention there seems to be little vitamin C in the diet (Cal/Cam only has 20% RDA in a package, even if they are on a full package 3 times a day they are still 40% shy), leading to rickets, scurvy and a variety of liver/kidney issues.

Eli and a few other crew members have a decent amount of fat reserves, so they will suffer less than others. Many members of the military will suffer due to lower body fat Ratios. I can see an episode coming up where it is Eli having to lead a group containing the most random motley assortment of people that just happen to not be crippled with severe stomach cramps, bloating and vision problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
          I want Eli to stay just as he is regardless of realism or otherwise, if only so Vanessa does too.
          Wouldn't want to incite gender inequality arguments again, so both of them stay put!
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
            I can see an episode coming up where it is Eli having to lead a group containing the most random motley assortment of people that just happen to not be crippled with severe stomach cramps, bloating and vision problems.
            Thanks for the explanation, I understand where you are coming from better now .

That being said, I don't necessarily think we are going to get an episode like the one you suggest. There is realism, and there is realism, although, it would be cool .
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
              That being said, I don't necessarily think we are going to get an episode like the one you suggest. There is realism, and there is realism, although, it would be cool .
              I see the night blindness being the biggest issue on the ship. Imagine Lt. Tastycakes..um I mean James...as the only military member not completely useless, and its her, Eli and a few scientists having to track down and kill some critters just to keep the rest of the crew alive and kicking. It could lead to the question- does Young use the green army SF Lt. who is slightly malnourished and possibly not 100% in charge of her faculties or let the tubby nerdy scientists who have less health issues take command because of by far better vision?

But le sigh, I'm not a writer for SGU..lol

Comment

Seeing as how they're all stuck on a ship for days and nobody needs to shave, I think a certain amount of realism has been booted out the airlock.

However, some realism I can do without: vomiting and diarrhea. I mean, really, have we all not experienced those? They are NOT entertaining...ever since the 70s when tossing up your lunch in toilets was in vogue, yech, blech.

But as to Eli... we'd have to figure out his metabolism. Perhaps he's just got the metabolism of a sloth, having just sat there and played games on the PC (or Mac? surely he's a Mac guy, right?) for years. Or he could pack on pounds if he were on certain medication, but it seems Spencer is the only one popping pills (clear yellow gell pills, hm, Vitamin E....but with warning labels on bottle) Of course, he might just eat too much fattening food and do too little exercise.

Eli might consider losing weight if say, he stones back to earth (I mean, LRCing back to earth sounds, eh) into some much buffer guy. Can you imagine him going "Man, I gotta get me one of these bodies!"

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  Eli might consider losing weight if say, he stones back to earth (I mean, LRCing back to earth sounds, eh) into some much buffer guy. Can you imagine him going "Man, I gotta get me one of these bodies!"
                  I can see an episode where there's a malfunction with the Stones and Eli accidentally gets switched Greer on the way "back" from a "trip" to Earth. Greer can't handle being in a "plushie" body, so he works off the pounds...while Eli spends an inappropriate amount of time in the shower.
                  Last edited by Major Tyler; 31 October 2009, 02:56 PM.
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypochondriac View Post
                    I'm curious do you guys think Eli will lose weight or will it be like that character on lost. Who stays the same even though he should lose weight?
                    I don't think he's so over weight, a lot of hikers and soldiers can be on the fat side however the guy on "Lost" was ridiculously ginormous

Who ate all the food supplies?

- Dude don't look at me!
                    Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
                    They had to fake the ratings
                    They had to fake the ratings.
                    Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

He doesn't really need to lose weight so long as Scott accidentally has an accident and dies or something. Then he's probably ok to actually gain a few lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                        He doesn't really need to lose weight so long as Scott accidentally has an accident and dies or something. Then he's probably ok to actually gain a few lbs.
                        What are you talking about?
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                          What are you talking about?
                          I think he is referring to Eli getting Chloe. At least, that's how I read it.
                          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

As the show goes on, Eli will almost inevitably Take a Level in Badass, in which case, we'll probably be seeing a slight but noticeable buffing up.

Through it's never so easy to get actors to cooperate with the script in real life so...

Comment

earth spoilers

Spoiler:
                              eli himself made a reference to losing weight (due to eating the flour mix) and that his mom wouldn't recognize him if she saw him again
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                                Actually, Hurley on Lost did lose weight, it just wasn't that apparant. Plus, 3 months isn't an awful lot of time to lose a significant ammount, especially as they didn't seem to be on such strict rations or excersizing.
                                Not to mention Hurley was near 300 pounds overweight(an exageration i know, but he's still pretty huge). Eli's not quite as heavy as Hurley so i wouldn't be surprised to see him loose a good deal of weight by the 2nd or 3rd season.

Comment

Working...
                                X