This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    I won't refute the whole thing, because I'd swear to my keyboard that I've seen the entire post before. It starts out like, "Oh, I watched SG-1 and Atlantis", then continues on, "And SGU is disappointing/not what I had hoped/not impressed". It definitely uses the word "whine" and maybe "soap opera" if the poster is feeling up to it. There's *****ing about the fact the characters aren't best friends yet. Chloe and Scott are almost always brought up as a negative factor, even if not named directly. The stones are poo-poohed on. Always makes a witty remark about BSG or Days Of Our Lives. Mentions of writers "dropping the ball" or something similar. Disbelief that SGU is a third SG-1 or SGA. Denial that SGU is part of the Stargate universe now.

Oh, and it'll end with "This is my opinion" blegh, as if they know that posts refuting their entirely original outings will be written...
    Ah but remember, this is the first time this person is saying this. It's not like it's teh same person coming time and time again saying the same thing. Doesn't it at all raise suspicion that very similar arguments are being written by these people who ostensibly have no connection whatsoever to each other?

And remember, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... guess what?
    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
      And remember, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... guess what?
      It hates SGU!
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

It hates SGU!
        You heard it here first folks! Ducks hate SGU! The old game of Duck Duck Goose comes to mind, especially the ratio of ducks to geese
        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

On our Czech SG forum, we discused about fact, that some fans don´t like SGU, because it´s not the same like SG-1 or SGA. One guy posted there this: (It made me laughing, but it´s holy truth )
          Everybody expected team Scott, Greer, Eli and James. They go through the gate, because they need some food. The planet is full of coniferous trees. They meet small group of people and this people welcome them and make the ceremonial for them. Suddenly, at the end of ceremonial, they are attacked by powerfull enemies and captured by them. They are prisoned on another planet.
          Meanwhile, Rush, Brody and Franklin explore the ship, learn all of the information and crack the master code. Wray argue with Young and he beat off her with jokes.
          On an alien base, our heroes have little choice. This powerfull enemies are humanoid, english-speaking aliens. James takes off her T-shirt and alien comes into the cell. Alien is stunned by Greer and they run away. Soon, they find an armoury and Eli finds some terminal, so he uses USB cable to connect. In three minutes he creates small program, making systems overloaded. When they leave the base, they shoot everybody without charging their weapons.
          Outside the base, they are attacked by alien commando and everything seems bad. Some dramatic sound plays and then, one enemy comes down. It´s colonel Young with M249 machine gun and 6 other soliders. When they kill 100 enemies, aliens are still rolling from the doors. They win and get back to the ship. They haven´t any food, but they have powerfull enemies. Every new episode starts with fight with these aliens. In next few episodes, Scott makes pregnant all female members of the crew and he still makes suicide missions. Young jokes everytime, when he´s in alien prison and Eli learns about ancient systems more than Carter, Rush and McKay togerher. He even learns how to use weapons and kill like Greer does. Greer dresses undershirt and they are going to kick alien asses. Did I forgot something?

They are coming...Smurfs!

Comment

Originally posted by TENTHIUS View Post
            On our Czech SG forum, we discused about fact, that some fans don´t like SGU, because it´s not the same like SG-1 or SGA. One guy posted there this: (It made me laughing, but it´s holy truth )
            Green him/her for me

But I still have to add: it's not that or what we now have, and it doesn't make my disappointment go away. Avoiding what described above were my wishes for more mature writing. I was kind of hoping to see how they measure and/or calculate their water levels, count their food, try to make hydroponics work and so on. Now they fall back to Stargate weaknesses, but do not reach same amusement levels than earlier shows. There is aliens stealing water and having themselves kicked out of Stargate, hydroponics guy being threatened by soldier, jokes for not showering, talks about bad food, red potato (or whatever it was) etc. I think the basic weaknesses are still there, just a bit more subtle than earlier.

Instead of fighting with English speaking aliens or stopping for a new plant of the week, it might be all about politics, resources, military strength (not some no1 team), terms with others civilizations, negotiations... Obviously SGU setting isn't the right one for that kind of plot, but (obviously, too) the drama with traditional SG weaknesses surely was not only opinion, and (imho) far from the best ones.

Comment

I won't refute the whole thing, because I'd swear to my keyboard that I've seen the entire post before. It starts out like, "Oh, I watched SG-1 and Atlantis", then continues on, "And SGU is disappointing/not what I had hoped/not impressed". It definitely uses the word "whine" and maybe "soap opera" if the poster is feeling up to it. There's *****ing about the fact the characters aren't best friends yet. Chloe and Scott are almost always brought up as a negative factor, even if not named directly. The stones are poo-poohed on. Always makes a witty remark about BSG or Days Of Our Lives. Mentions of writers "dropping the ball" or something similar. Disbelief that SGU is a third SG-1 or SGA. Denial that SGU is part of the Stargate universe now.

Oh, and it'll end with "This is my opinion" blegh, as if they know that posts refuting their entirely original outings will be written...
              Yep interesting isn't it that all of the criticisms are the same... as are the praise for it... it's so "mature", so dark, edgy, gritty...(fill in your word-of-the-moment!) Basically either people like it or they don't. I must admit I find it quite amusing to see people actually complain about a well thought out logical post simply because they disagree with it!

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
              That seems to be an ongoing critique in the TV magazines, plus the fact that as far as rumours can be believed, there may be a complete re-draft of the direction they're gong with it. Some of the TPTB are not overly happy with viewer response, the figures are ok, but apparently they don't like the feedback they have been getting
              Yep i am holding out hopes for great improvement in season 2...it can't get worse!

Ah but remember, this is the first time this person is saying this. It's not like it's teh same person coming time and time again saying the same thing. Doesn't it at all raise suspicion that very similar arguments are being written by these people who ostensibly have no connection whatsoever to each other?

it's congress?
              pure and simple...those that squee will always love the show...let the squeeing continue!

oh and BTW-- Meryy Christmas to all and a Happy (and safe) New Year!

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                pure and simple...those that squee will always love the show...let the squeeing continue!
                Squee....
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                  ...and those who totally love it say what? "It's great!" "It's edgy!" "It's adult!" "It IS Stargate!" Over and over and over again.
                  Most of that is in response to those who say otherwise.

For my part, since I like and care about the show, I'd rather express that by ways of discussing the various characters and developments I've invested myself in, and avoid any ridiculous, meaningless soundbites like those you've mentioned. But, when I must defend the show, I guess I'll have to argue soundbites with soundbites of my own.

And I don't remember many people who like SGU saying it's edgy; that's mostly from those who hate the show attempting to make fun of it, as they apparently have nothing better to do.
                  Last edited by PG15; 25 December 2009, 01:12 PM.

Comment

You heard it here first folks! Ducks hate SGU! The old game of Duck Duck Goose comes to mind, especially the ratio of ducks to geese
                    Well that would explain why a certain duck is dispictable

it's congress?

oh and BTW-- Meryy Christmas to all and a Happy (and safe) New Year!
                    The same could be said about the bashers.

Just saying
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Well that would explain why a certain duck is dispictable

The same could be said about the bashers.

Just saying
                      but those that dislike the show have hope...the reworking for season two... I am betting they will go lighter on the angsty-soap parts of it! maybe actually make a character or two likeable and give us more action...if they do that I probably will be converted.

Comment

but those that dislike the show have hope...the reworking for season two... I am betting they will go lighter on the angsty-soap parts of it! maybe actually make a character or two likeable and give us more action...if they do that I probably will be converted.
                        I doubt it. Their are some who will hate the show no matter what is done just like as you put their are some who squee no matter the direction it takes
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

but those that dislike the show have hope...the reworking for season two... I am betting they will go lighter on the angsty-soap parts of it! maybe actually make a character or two likeable and give us more action...
                          I certainly hope not.

No sense in going backwards.

Comment

The soap parts as you call them, were in season one to give us background on the characters, so when we have that, it only makes sense that they will focus on the Destiny and adventures with it. I'm glad we have background stories, because it helps to understand the way the characters react and why they react a certain way in different situations.
                            no means no, and so does pepper spray
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

Yep interesting isn't it that all of the criticisms are the same... as are the praise for it... it's so "mature", so dark, edgy, gritty...(fill in your word-of-the-moment!) Basically either people like it or they don't. I must admit I find it quite amusing to see people actually complain about a well thought out logical post simply because they disagree with it!

You're clearly reading my mind! Or my posts...

Yep i am holding out hopes for great improvement in season 2...it can't get worse!
                              Famous last words... and you know it!
                              Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              For my part, since I like and care about the show, I'd rather express that by ways of discussing the various characters and developments I've invested myself in, and avoid any ridiculous, meaningless soundbites like those you've mentioned. But, when I must defend the show, I guess I'll have to argue soundbites with soundbites of my own.
                              And I don't remember many people who like SGU saying it's edgy; that's mostly from those who hate the show attempting to make fun of it, as they apparently have nothing better to do.
                              For my part, I think the show has potential or I wouldn't be watching it or wanting it to get better. If they'd only lose the stones, I think the show would be great. I can deal with the [for me] ineffective and, in some cases, unlikeable characters, but I can't do body-swapping sex and baby mama drama.
                              If you hate the entire show, I say say so once and stop discussing it. If you are watching and want it to change in certain ways, then you more than have the right to air said views. If you hate the show and are still watching... Er... Odd.
                              I find nothing particularly bad about Eli, Chloe, TJ or Scott. I'm coming around to Greer. Wray is good with her partner at home, but is just messed up when it comes to her job and is, quite possibly, the worst HR manager I've ever seen. Young and Rush are, however, hopeless. I hope they off each other in the series finale, put both out of their misery. And Telford... Jack should send him to a really cold off world base. Forever.
                              Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              I certainly hope not.
                              No sense in going backwards.
                              All the best technology humans have found in SG has been, ahem, ancient. Sometimes, it's a good thing to go back. Just because it's what came before doesn't mean there isn't some [or much] good in it. Reinventing the wheel when the wheel was working fine before but could have used a few tweaks is a bit drastic.
                              Last edited by nx01a; 25 December 2009, 01:57 PM.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I don't disagree that aspects of the show need to be modified, but I don't agree that the ways you mentioned are necessarily the way to change and improve the show. Keep the angst, and the drama, have action only when necessary for the characters' plots. Stargate needed to be updated to survive. Things they should change, (IMO) focus on the Destiny, focus more on Destiny-based drama, than Earth-based drama. Spread focus over all 9 main characters, rather than focusing on 5 characters in nearly every episode, and choosing among the other 4 to explore in every few episodes. Show us more of the inventory, about the survival, show us Destiny people bonding with each other (like the Park/Greer Kinosode, would have fit perfectly in the episode). The Destiny crew doesn't have to like each other, but I would like to see more of them with each other. There are ways to improve the shortcoming of the series without bringing back SG1/SGA elements, that could make the series seem to be, well redundant.

Comment

Working...
                                X