This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    McCollough, Gero, and a 3rd who escapes me are gone. And JM has mentioned some freelance writers this season
    According to GW, Gero wrote "Earth" and McCullough wrote "Justice". Gone, you say?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
      According to GW, Gero wrote "Earth" and McCullough wrote "Justice". Gone, you say?
      It's one episode (two for Gero), which frees up more episodes for the freelancers.

True, they wrote for the season, but they won't have as much of an impact as they did in Atlantis. All of the good writers are there though. They all wrote awesome episodes in my humble opinion.

EDIT: Also, even though Gero and McCullough wrote episodes, they no longer had involvement with the other episodes. Simply writers, not Consultant Producers. (Still, I liked both of them and they both have done excellent work.)

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
      and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

For better or worse, it's still Stargate
        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Orion Antreas View Post
          It's one episode (two for Gero), which frees up more episodes for the freelancers.

True, they wrote for the season, but they won't have as much of an impact as they did in Atlantis. All of the good writers are there though. They all wrote awesome episodes in my humble opinion.

EDIT: Also, even though Gero and McCullough wrote episodes, they no longer had involvement with the other episodes. Simply writers, not Consultant Producers. (Still, I liked both of them and they both have done excellent work.)
          I was just correcting what Jelgate said. In fact, I think M&M are the worst of the lot
          sigpic

Comment

Whats next? By the middle of season 2 we'll have a X304 with wormhole tech installed that will pursue Destiny always one step behind and finally catching up with it in the first episode of season 3? Then they'll be able, with the magic of a miracle super-subspace beacon, to always know where the Destiny is so they can go back and forth carrying supplies and people? Or even better, they'll be able to dial Earth but the IOA will highly recommend that they stay on Destiny cause they doubt they'll ever be able to go back, sounds familiar?

I'll probably watch the show cause its Startgate and reruns of SG1 and SGA are getting old, but the LA stuff just burst my bubble.

Oh, and why cant we develop our own energy weapons? We have Jaffa weapons, Ori Weapons, Asgard weapons, but we still use bullets? after 15 years, really? I guess the replicators arent gone after all, we still need those good old primitive weapons...

Comment

There's something to be said for good old kinetic energy weapons. But I'll let someone else say it.
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

I think the Lucian Alliance were invented to show how the Humans of the Milky Way reacted to the fall of the Goa'uld, while the Jaffa were a united race. Humans were separated on a planetary basis, the Lucian Alliance took advantage of this. The main problem I have with SG-1 after series 8, is that no time what so ever was spent on how the galaxy was different after the System Lords rule ended. Everything just seemed to go on nicely and there was no reference to the devastation that the Replicators left behind.

In my opinion SG-1 could have survived without the Ori story arc. The rivalry between the Free Jaffa Nation and the Lucian Alliance and other groups with Goa'uld technology would have been interesting. With the possibility of Human worlds wanting revenge on the Jaffa, plus if Khalek had of escaped the SGC and there were others like him. Also there could being off world bases for members of the IOA to run their own stargate programmes as they all must want access to alien technology, but they only get a certain amount from the US military.

The demise of the Goa’uld and the Replicators seemed to be brushed under the carpet in series 9 and only mentioned briefly in ‘Beachhead’ when Nerus arrived.
                Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

I've been mulling over this LA thing, trying to decide where I stood on it but unable to form any sort of opinion without any context. Now that I've read Madwelshboy's spoilers (I tried not to, I really did... but I have the willpower of a gnat) I've got something to say - still based on rumour, admittedly, but with a bit more to base it on than a casting side. I'll spoiler-tag it just in case...

Spoiler:
                  It seems to me that this arc actually addresses one of the major concerns that folks have been airing over the existence of the LRC device, which is that it will be too much of a convenience, that the crew of the Destiny will be too able to seek help from Earth when they need it. The eventuality that it can and will be used to cause all sorts of problems is a big plus, in my book. It adds another dimension to the struggle that the Destiny crew are facing, to be unable to trust their one link with home, and it adds another hurdle for the people on Earth who are trying to get them home. Both good things, IMO.

As for it being the LA, specifically... they really didn't have that much of an impact on me in SG1 so I'm a bit blasé about them to start with, and I hope they are given sufficient development to make them a believable foe (especially for folks who didn't watch SG1), but I think it makes for good drama in the context of the show that someone would be causing long-distance trouble. Why not a race that is already established in Stargate canon?

As for the no-rubber-faced-English-speaking-humanoid-aliens thing - I took that statement to mean that the Destiny crew wouldn't encounter that kind of life form in the galaxy where they are, not that we would never see another race of that type in the whole show. We've known since the beginning that there would be Earth-based plots and communication between Destiny and Earth, so it stands to reason that any race which Earth has encountered might be revisited when we are seeing things happen in our galaxy.

I don't think this arc means that TPTB are going back on their word, because it depends entirely on how the story is presented whether it effects the show's "standing on it's own two feet". I'll wait to see it before I pass judgment on that.

[/waffle]
                  sigpic

Comment

I think no matter who TPTB chose to attack the Icarus Base some people would have negative opinions, they had to choose an already established villain. Imagine the reaction if a ship that no one had ever seen before was attacking the Icarus Base, the Lucian Alliance were the best choice I think. As they aren't the Most honourable of people and if there are some Lucian Alliance on the Destiny they would fit right into the edgy/fighting for survival/don't trust anybody aspect of SGU. If there were Jaffa onboard we would have a symbiote or tretonin problem and new viewers would have a problem with why some of the characters have tattoos on their foreheads. The Lucian Alliance should fit right in with the feel of SGU.
                    Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

It doesn't matter what you do but how you do it.
                      If Lucian Allience is fleshed out in SGU and there are interesting characters, why not?
                      The most interesting thing I read from spoilers was that
                      Spoiler:
                      Luccian Allience had all the bios of people aboard the "Destiny". That they were planning the operation carefully and handling things professionally
                      What I disliked in SG-1 was that an enemy was always shown to be like a bit stupid etc. For example, in one episode there were a bunch of Jaffa deployed to Earth to catch Baal but it really looked like they didn't plan anything. Instead of securing the perimeter, changing into human clothes and using zat guns, getting the job done clean and effeciently, they just rushed into the office with staff weapons shooting all that moves like cowboys from old westerns.

I hope that in SGU we see the Luccian Allience, Jaffa Nation as professional people in their field, cause in SG-1 and other sci-fi shows aliens often, if not always, look lame. We can take Jaffa, for example. Ok, I understand that they were living under the Goua'uld for a long period of time but now they are free and I want to see how a modern Jaffa looks. Japanese also have great traditions etc. but it doesn't mean that having computers, robots and stuff they still sit around the campfire and all of them are either samurai in their body armour or some peasants. Jaffa and Lucian Alliance should also change now, given the current situation in the galaxy. We could see scientist Jaffa, professional military Jaffa, Jaffa lawyers, even Jaffa shop assistents or Jaffa university students etc.

As concerns the 304 vs Ha'tak question, why everybody assume that only Tau'ri can upgrade their ships and make their shields withstand longer etc. Lucian Allience are technology scavengers just like Tau'ri and probably can find new technologies and upgrade their ships too.

Also, as I stated earlier, I'd like Ha'taks and other Goua'uld weaponry disappear or to have their role diminished in the warfare in the years to come since:

1) It was a Goua'uld design, and I don't think that Goua'uld, Jaffa and LA views on how a battleship should look and function are the same.
                      2) As the years go, ships get older and get destroyed. I'd like to see new Jaffa mothership designs and new LA mothership designs come in place of Ha'taks. They are cool ships but they are not Jaffa or LA own build ships and would even probably be not very comfortable for Jaffa and LA to use for various reasons.
                      Last edited by latvian_stargatefan; 17 September 2009, 04:06 AM.
                      - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Some good points being made. It just looks to me like the original proposal for the show had it being more like Lost, i.e no outside contact and we solely followed the islanders, or in this case the crew of the Destiny. Initial premises change, it happens. Now, it looks like we'll follow both the story of what is happening on the Destiny, and the story of how the Milky Way is reacting to the events that occurred. I'm OK with that, as long as it maintains the new feel of the show on both ends. It's a chance to flesh out old stories more as well as telling new ones, which will make the franchise richer IMO. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but the Lucian Alliance could be quite a Star Wars-esque enemy, if you know what I mean. They had races that were similar, organized smugglers, bounty hunters etc... The LA could be made interesting, given the new direction of the show. We should wait and see. After all, there's nothing we can do to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by latvian_stargatefan View Post
                          It doesn't matter what you do but how you do it.
                          If Lucian Allience is fleshed out in SGU and there are interesting characters, why not?

As concerns the 304 vs Ha'tak question, why everybody assume that only Tau'ri can upgrade their ships and make their shields withstand longer etc. Lucian Allience are technology scavengers just like Tau'ri and probably can find new technologies and upgrade their ships too.

Also, as I stated earlier, I'd like Ha'taks and other Goua'uld weaponry disappear or to have their role diminished in the warfare in the years to come since:
                          I also find it highly unlikely that in a manner of a few weeks or months the LA can challenge the greatest Asgard and Ancient technologies that we've acquired. It'd be insulting if they did this to the Asgard legacy. That's almost as insulting than the Asgard's demise.

The LA has no business in SGU and the more I read on the new series the more disappointed I am. I don't want another SGA that feels it must incorporate villains and former heroes for an audience.

Comment

i think the LA are fine as an enemy. just one thing i want: take their leader, rip out his/her brain, and replace it with something human. so we actually get an enemy that thinks. and doesnt just do stupid stuff. the smartest thing ever done was sending bounty hunters, the stupidest thing ever done was sending bounty hunters that you can not trust.

besides, one man could get aboard the lucian alliance leader ship. how fcked up security is that?

no, i would like to see SMART lucian alliance so we have to use ingenuity and not fancy tech

Comment

Originally posted by dahok View Post
                              I also find it highly unlikely that in a manner of a few weeks or months the LA can challenge the greatest Asgard and Ancient technologies that we've acquired. It'd be insulting if they did this to the Asgard legacy. That's almost as insulting than the Asgard's demise.
                              Its been two bloody years, surely thats enough time for them to 'potentially' find some of Anubis's, Sokar's or even Ba'al's coolest Ancient inspired toys and turn them again the Earth?
                              sigpic
                              Made by Aragon101

Spoiler:
                              Episode III: Phantasm.
                              "Shadows are patient, shadows just wait...'til they cover the occeans, the cities...the whole of the world. Shadows always win."

Comment

Originally posted by Lantean General View Post
                                Its been two bloody years, surely thats enough time for them to 'potentially' find some of Anubis's, Sokar's or even Ba'al's coolest Ancient inspired toys and turn them again the Earth?
                                Still sounds terrible, and likely not even possible. Somehow the LA found some incredibly advanced technology that somehow Ba'al and Anubis didn't use. Then somehow they retrofit it into Ha'taks. Nah, not buying this. A bunch of drug traffickers aren't pulling new tech out of their posteriors.

That's assuming this is set in present times, not shortly after EaTG as hinted.

I guess I shouldn't read any spoilers because they've all been serious downers.

Comment

Working...
                                X