This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
    Universe is going ahead, you're not going to stop it. And, MGM doesn't cancel shows, the network does. Sci Fi cancelled Atlantis. If Sci Fi wanted to buy 20 episodes of Atlantis from MGM, MGM would sell them to them.
    I'm not sure that's true, by all accounts this was a joint decision to pursue Universe and switch Atlantis' format to movies.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      Uh, an Atlantis movie has already been green-lighted and more will be on the way if the first one does well..
      As if it's the same thing.. and IF they make them like the sg1 movies they better don't bother..

That's not the same thing.
      You think so...

What they care about is how much money they're making. If they think they can make more money by creating a new show then that's what they're going to do, and as they're a business, I don't see how anyone can really hold it against them.
      And if they where making shoes instead of art that could be absolutely correct. But they're SUPPOSED to make art.And i am veeery carefull where i put my feet into.

You are, but the tricky thing about freedom of speech is that if you can voice your opinion, then so can I. It just seems strange to me that someone who is so determined to not watch the show or have anything to do with it would bother posting in a forum dedicated to it at all...
      The forum is dedicated to SGU? sory i must have missed something...
      Spoiler:
      APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
      (YEAR 0 - 100)
      "O thou Sun,
      send me as far over the earth
      as is my pleasure and thine,
      and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
      but never hear anything of bad ones,
      nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
        And if they where making shoes instead of art that could be absolutely correct. But they're SUPPOSED to make art.And i am veeery carefull where i put my feet into.
        They're not making art, they're making entertainment. Stargate exists to make money for MGM.

The forum is dedicated to SGU? sory i must have missed something...
        Uh yes, the Stargate Universe forum is dedicated to SGU.

Comment

I'm not sure that's true, by all accounts this was a joint decision to pursue Universe and switch Atlantis' format to movies.
          I haven't gone back and re-read the reports when the news came out, but I'm pretty sure the joint decision was for MGM and SCIFI to move forward with the Universe project, but I'm still pretty sure it was SCIFI's decision to cancel SGA. Also, SCIFI wouldn't have anything to do with the decision on movies. That's entirely up to MGM.

I mean, if SCIFI wanted to pay for another season of SGA, why would MGM tell them no? Everybody is blaming MGM here for the SGA cancellation, which I don't think is fare.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
            I haven't gone back and re-read the reports when the news came out, but I'm pretty sure the joint decision was for MGM and SCIFI to move forward with the Universe project, but I'm still pretty sure it was SCIFI's decision to cancel SGA. Also, SCIFI wouldn't have anything to do with the decision on movies. That's entirely up to MGM.
            Yes they would, the Atlantis movie is going to be made for TV, not direct to DVD like the SG-1 movies, this one is being made in a similar way to how the series was, ie made by MGM and sold to Sci Fi who will have limited input.

I mean, if SCIFI wanted to pay for another season of SGA, why would MGM tell them no? Everybody is blaming MGM here for the SGA cancellation, which I don't think is fare.
            Because they weren't prepared to make both series at the same time.

Comment

There is no viewership, the show hasn't even started yet. Goodbye.
              Oh, you're right. I forgot. There won't be a viewership because the fans won't be watching! Try parsing that one.... Adios!

Comment

Originally posted by janiecat View Post
                Oh, you're right. I forgot. There won't be a viewership because the fans won't be watching! Try parsing that one.... Adios!
                Lol fans will be watching its just a select few who wont be.

Comment

Boycotting SGU.

Not the best idea I have heard as of yet, if you want to watch then watch, if not then don't. I'm not sure how someone can really argue about if someone else should watch or not.

I do however find it quite comical on how some people in here have said that they don't care about SGU. I laugh at this simply because they are lying to themselves. If someone really didn't care about SGU then they would not be on an SGU forum arguing for or against the new show, you kind of have to care about it to even be worth your time. In short, if you are here reading this or posting, you care.

Some people have posted about how when Atlantis was first conceived it was better received by the fans. Well at the time the "fans" were fans of SG1 and they were looking at the prospect of a new show to bring them entertainment while their current favorite show was still on the air. At the time there was none of that "you just canceled my show, now im mad" stuff that we see with this. If many of you would recall when SG1 was finally canceled there were quite a lot of people who said they would not watch Atlantis any longer (if they did in the first place). Atlantis still managed to survive and do quite well.

It seems that a lot of people feel that they are "owed" by the companies or producers. That they owe any of us any certain show or to make any show in a certain way. Well, they don't. It is in their best interest to make as good a show as possible on the budget to get as many people as they can to watch it. It is in their best interest to make the companies as much money as possible with the show that they make. Both of these are also things that we as fans hope for. Higher rating numbers and the companies making more money is good for us, it means that the company will be willing to give the shows better funding and make more shows/movies. If this is the route that they are looking at that will make the most money for SciFi and MGM then we will benefit from it. Those companies will more readily give a green light to SG1 and SGA movies and provide more funding to SGU in order to give us things that we like to see more. (Which can be in many ways, things like bringing on expensive guest starts, giving us those shows with the great VFX, building better sets and props.)

Sure I would prefer having SGA around in series form but that isn't going to happen now. I can't rightly take it out on a show that I have not as of yet seen a single second of, that would be a rather childish reaction. I suppose for a somewhat poor analogy it would be about the same as if you had a friend who lived in an apartment and the landlord kicked them out and then rented the apartment to someone else. Then because your upset that your friend got kicked out you refuse to even give the new renter a single second of your time, and what is worse you go around and argue that they are horrible people for one reason or another. Yet you have never even met them.

This analogy is quite poor because it doesn't cover the movie aspect, in this case it isn't as though we are never seeing our "friend" again, just that they are moving to an area where we get to see them less often.

Now in this you may be saying "but we can blame the landlord", well yes, I think that is the point. Be angry with the landlord all you like but don't take it out on the new renter. If you don't want to talk with them then don't just don't go around spreading rumors about them or telling others that they aren't worth talking to. Who knows, maybe if you actually give them a chance you might find that you like them a good deal. Up to you though.

Wow that analogy didn't turn out all that well, oh well there you have it I guess.

If you ask me I would say that the people in charge took a look at Atlantis and saw that it had 2 or 3 seasons left at best. They took a look at the concept of the new show sitting on the table and knew that if they weren't going to run them at the same time then this would have to wait. In 2 or 3 years a lot can change and if they let Atlantis go down hill before canceling it there won't be much interest in another show or movies. They made their move while they knew they still had the fan base to support such a move. Cancel while you have the numbers, get the new show off the ground and turn out a few movies for the fans to look forward to and to make some extra money on. In reality this is just someone in marketing with a bit of common sense. If they let Atlantis die (go until the show just didn't have the number anylonger) then they would have to wait to try to build interest in another show, they would also have much less of a fan base to market movies too so that would probably signal the end of the SG1 movies and no real prospects for Atlantis movies at all.

This is business and they made a good business move, can't really blame them for that. I know I would rather have a few movies a year about SG1 and SGA and a 3rd series to watch starting next year then I would letting 1 series run into the ground and then have nothing for several years if ever again. I am rather happy that they went with the option that will bring me the most entertainment value in the end while making the company more money.

Now I suppose all that is left is to wait and see if they do well with the new series. It is in capable hands so I think it will do just fine. Sorry if any of this has struck a nerve with anyone, or if I seem insensitive, well ok I am rather insensitive in this respect. Honestly I don't care if someone else feels like the world is going to end because their favorite show got canceled. With all the real tragedies that happen in the world, the worry for my own family, some of whom are in places where life isn't so good I think I have pretty much ran out of sympathy for something as trivial as a TV show getting canceled and upsetting a few people, even if I happen to be a fan of the show.

Well, good day to you.

Comment

You find it comical , how "some people says that they don't care about SGU". They don't.
                    I guess for you, if something has the name "stargate" on it you 'll watch anyway.Now that's comical. It's comical to sit down and watch just anything because it might have a "name" on it.
                    The threads name is :boycott Universe. Some will say yes some will say no. You can't call people hypocrites, just because they don't agree with you. It isn't like SGU fans own the thread.
                    Those people responsible for the show might have think off a way to make more money. They made a nice busines move, in your opinion and in their opinion. But you agree, that SGA had 2-3 seasons(i'd say more). So they canceled a show that could bring them money for 2-3 seasons and with it's ratting getting better every year, it might have been better than just that.
                    Now i don't think that anyone feels that the world is going to end, as YOU put it, but everyone has the right not to trust and to reject the people that act strictly based on making money.
                    Everyone has the right to reject.... in general.
                    sigpic

Comment

They're not making art, they're making entertainment. Stargate exists to make money for MGM.
                      That's how you see it in the US?
                      Don't they use Actors?Writters?Photographers?Designers?etc etc etc... all of them artists?

Uh yes, the Stargate Universe forum is dedicated to SGU.
                      Then don't put on threads like this...
                      Now if you don't like what i or other people might say and believe.. make another forum/thread/ whatever " SGU LOVERS ONLY"
                      Spoiler:
                      APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                      (YEAR 0 - 100)
                      "O thou Sun,
                      nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ackeb View Post
                        Lol fans will be watching its just a select few who wont be.
                        What fans ? you really think that SGA fans existed just because it was a stargate show?
                        SGA has a fan base of it's own. I don't think they'll be watching ....most of them won't..
                        Spoiler:
                        APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                        (YEAR 0 - 100)
                        "O thou Sun,
                        nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

That's how you see it in the US?
                          Don't they use Actors?Writters?Photographers?Designers?etc etc etc... all of them artists?
                          I dont live in the US and I dont precive any of those people as artists. Art is nothing but an interpretation. Try not to sterotype based upon what you belive.

Comment

I wasn't writting to you....
                            and things are what they are, not what we interpretate them ....
                            If they have turn themselves into money making tools, then i am sory for them and for those that have accept this as a living reallity...
                            Art is truth and truth exist and stands by it's own, it doesn't need interpretation.
                            Spoiler:
                            APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                            (YEAR 0 - 100)
                            "O thou Sun,
                            nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

I wasn't writting to you....
                              and things are what they are, not what we interpretate them ....
                              If they have turn themselves into money making tools, then i am sory for them and for those that have accept this as a living reallity...
                              Art is truth and truth exist and stands by it's own, it doesn't need interpretation.
                              Truth is nothing more then ones interpretation on a given subject. Truth does require interpretation and is in no way absolute. If I were to belive in one religion I would interpret it as true but to you it might not be. What you have stated is nothing more then your own value based beliefs, not the "truth".

Comment

Originally posted by TrustMeIamADoctor View Post
                                You find it comical , how "some people says that they don't care about SGU". They don't.
                                I guess for you, if something has the name "stargate" on it you 'll watch anyway.Now that's comical. It's comical to sit down and watch just anything because it might have a "name" on it.
                                The threads name is :boycott Universe. Some will say yes some will say no. You can't call people hypocrites, just because they don't agree with you. It isn't like SGU fans own the thread.
                                Those people responsible for the show might have think off a way to make more money. They made a nice busines move, in your opinion and in their opinion. But you agree, that SGA had 2-3 seasons(i'd say more). So they canceled a show that could bring them money for 2-3 seasons and with it's ratting getting better every year, it might have been better than just that.
                                Now i don't think that anyone feels that the world is going to end, as YOU put it, but everyone has the right not to trust and to reject the people that act strictly based on making money.
                                Everyone has the right to reject.... in general.
                                Not a bad reply honestly, better than I expected I would get.

Anyway, a basic coarse in sociology will tell you that if someone puts forth the effort to argue a point then it is something they care about. They may not like it but they care about it. To not care about something is to give it little or no thought or show a general disinterest in it, that is not what has been happening here.

Just because something has the name Stargate does not mean ill give it any attention. I never watched a single second on Infinity, I don't read the books and by large I don't pay any mind to the different virtual series that people come up with. In fact if they would have said that SGU was being made by a group of people that I had never heard of before I would probably not even bother with giving it a chance. The only thing the name Stargate means to me is the people behind the show. The only reason that has any meaning to me is because I like the work that they have already done (SG1, SGA, and the 2 movies). Seeing how they have already proven themselves capable of putting together something that I will enjoy watching I am willing to give other projects that they are/may do a chance to see if I will like that as well. It is the same reason I watched Sanctuary even though it isn't Stargate related.

I never called anyone a hypocrite because they didn't agree with me. I am certain at any given time there is a rather large % of the world population that does not agree with me. In matters of opinion there are very few ways to be wrong. You are right, SGU fans don't own this thread. Gateworld own's this thread and these forums and they provide us, all of us, with the ability to come on here and discuss the topics.

SGU happens to be a topic of discussion and is open to all regardless if they are for or against the new show. At any time any of us says or does something that they do not agree with then they have the right to remove the post and ban the account. If something very serious were to happen they could even go as far as to sue the person responsible, though i'm not entirely sure how easy that would be. In any case, these are private forums on a private server, as long as we follow the rules we are allowed to speak our minds here. Freedom of speech does not apply in this situation but they are kind enough to be pretty liberal with what they allow.

I do feel that it was a smart business move. The name of business is to make money, any option that allows you to do that and is legal is generally what you would go with. Some may worry about the companies reputations but that is more because a bad reputation can lead to bad sales. In this particular case I don't believe MGM or SciFi are worried about hurting their reputation. I would think that for a move like this the folks at MGM would have given some pretty good consideration to the consequences of their actions and deemed them worth the risk. SciFi, well I do wonder about them sometimes, they aren't known for making good decisions when it comes to some of the shows they run.

You may very well be right that SGA had more than 3 seasons left in it. For all we know it might have been SciFi who said that they didn't want to buy 3+ more seasons even if the numbers were good. The companies went with probably the safest move they could for both keeping Stargate alive and making money in the long run. Of course all of this is my opinion but I think it is quite obvious that is what we are doing here, giving our opinions because none of us were sitting in the room while this was being discusses so all we can do is talk about what we think may have happened and what we think of their decision.

The "world is going to end" line was a pretty standard mildly sarcastic overstatement. Of course everyone has the right to dislike or reject something for what ever their reason may be. Others also have the right to question the reasons for it and state their own views. As I said earlier, freedom of speech doesn't apply here but the owners are kind enough to allow this and by in large that is what we are doing. Also most of my post that talked about the comments of others, things like "i don't care", that was all targeted mostly at about 3 or 4 people who have posted, not everyone. The rest of my post was my own opinion as to what the thinking may have been with the companies or my view as to the brighter side of it all. Iv done no different than those who choose to argue against SGU, I have happen to have taken a different point of view due to the information I have seen and how I have perceived it. I suppose if you wanted a line that could cover my side of the argument that was a mildly sarcastic overstatement then you could say im in the "all will be well and the new show will be perfect" group. It isn't true any more than my statement about the world ending but that is the point. It isn't meant to be accurate, it is meant to be ridiculous.

Well, good day to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X