This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargate71287 View Post
    GREAT.So we've been denied Season 6 of Atlantis,just as we're loving the new changes.So let's boycott Universe in protest.
    Frankly, I don't know how to boycott SGU would help SGA, I'm not going to watch SGU but it's simply because I'm not interested.

Regarding SGA, I was sad at the canceltaion but if what I've read about season 5 is as bad as it sounds (I don't think season 4 was that good) to end the show now may be the best after all. Sorry.

Comment

Heres something to think about. Sanctuary was picked up AFTER universe by MGM but before Atlantis was canceled. Sanctuary already had a cast, crew and scripts written and could be pushed into production easily but because of the near constant green screen effects it would cost alot more to produce than Atlantis or Universe. Sanctuary had episodes made already which would easily be played on TV which i'm assuming they did. So, why blame Universe, which was planned to run next to Atlantis, for something that I believe is Sanctuary's fault?

Comment

I believe Stargate SG-1 ran a bit too long (Vala was amusing, but SG-1 season 9 & 10 really felt like overkill), and I equally feel that Stargate Atlantis didn't run quite long enough. I'll definitely not be watching Stargate Universe. I've researched it, and nothing, I mean nothing about the series appeals to me.

That being said, hey, I hope the new show does succeed, as I'm sure that there are people who haven't seen the premise done hundreds of times already with various movies and tv shows. I just know I won't be among the people watching this rehashed idea they've decided to stamp the Stargate name onto.

Thank Apophis for Stargate Worlds, or I'd think the whole franchise had gone to Natu in a handbasket.
        Come join the fun over at Stargate Worlds!

Comment

Have we already looked at the possibility of seeing if the fans can have Universe swapped out for Atlantis since no one seems to liek the premise of Universe anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Killjoy_Zero View Post
            Have we already looked at the possibility of seeing if the fans can have Universe swapped out for Atlantis since no one seems to liek the premise of Universe anyways.
            I was a big fan of Atlantis and was sad to see it go, that said I like the storyline of SGU and am excited to see what it will have to offer. Saying that no one likes the premise of Universe is quite narrow minded.

Comment

Can any of you SGU-haters PM me the shop where you got your crystal ball? I mean you obviously have one since you know that it will suck before you've even one scene...
              Death To The Salad Eaters!!

Comment

Originally posted by spazure View Post
                I've researched it, and nothing, I mean nothing about the series appeals to me.
                You've researched it? You've looked at a couple paragraphs of plot summary, a few one or two line character descriptions, an ambiguous statement about a younger audience, and ... and actually, that's about all that's in the public domain. Your ability to extrapolate must be pretty good if you can make a judgement call on SGU at this point, because in my eyes we have a fraction more than nothing in terms of information.

Comment

Originally posted by Ackeb View Post
                  Stargate Myth? I assume you are talking of Stargate Mythology correct? If so you may notice a lack of it in Stargate Atlantis, besides the city being the mythical lost city there is little to no mythological links within Stargate Atlantis.
                  You assume wrong. I used the word with it's original meaning. A non Greek understands different things i suppose. It's a certain way of story telling.
                  Even in the way you understand it though, Atlantis it'self is a Myth.
                  That's something, compared to the "nothing" of SGU.
                  Spoiler:
                  APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                  (YEAR 0 - 100)
                  "O thou Sun,
                  send me as far over the earth
                  as is my pleasure and thine,
                  and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                  but never hear anything of bad ones,
                  nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LostCityGuardian View Post
                    You've researched it? You've looked at a couple paragraphs of plot summary, a few one or two line character descriptions, an ambiguous statement about a younger audience, and ... and actually, that's about all that's in the public domain. Your ability to extrapolate must be pretty good if you can make a judgement call on SGU at this point, because in my eyes we have a fraction more than nothing in terms of information.
                    If i tell you that i'm gonna make something that travels on water and has an engine will you understand that i am making a car?
                    Yet i haven't desctribe a ship/boat/tanker whatever. We know the basics alright.
                    Spoiler:
                    APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                    (YEAR 0 - 100)
                    "O thou Sun,
                    send me as far over the earth
                    as is my pleasure and thine,
                    and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                    but never hear anything of bad ones,
                    nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
                      You assume wrong. I used the word with it's original meaning. A non Greek understands different things i suppose. It's a certain way of story telling.
                      Even in the way you understand it though, Atlantis it'self is a Myth.
                      That's something, compared to the "nothing" of SGU.
                      If it is a way of story telling as you have just said then how can you judge SGU when you have not seen a single episode or have any idea of how its story will be told? And whether or not I am a Greek has absolutley nothing to do with my understanding of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
                        If i tell you that i'm gonna make something that travels on water and has an engine will you understand that i am making a car?
                        Yet i haven't desctribe a ship/boat/tanker whatever. We know the basics alright.
                        Can I borrow your crystal ball? So that I can see SGU's first season as well? Because you seem to know a lot more than the rest of us if you think you know the basics.

I think your example is a bit simplistic. Maybe one that's a bit closer is saying that I'm describing something in the law, which is a bit like a contract, but one party doesn't have to give anything. Unless you're a lawyer or a law student, you probably won't know that I'm describing (very vaguely) estoppel. That's a more appropriate example, because we all know what a boat is and does before its described. We have no idea what SGU is before we read the few facts we have been given.

Comment

Boycotting the series before it even airs, or before a definitive description of the series has been laid out is entirely naive.

I am not thrilled about SGA being canceled. One of the reasons that I was apathetic when SG1 was canceled was because SGA was still going strong with no foreseeable end, and because SG-1 had lost RDA and the Ori plot line was not my favourite, although the show was still very entertaining and had me watching every episode. I trusted TPTB that they would be logical enough to know what they were doing and wouldn't sacrifice SG1 for a lackluster spinoff, and I was rewarded with a series that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Both shows had ran simultaneously, and SGA proved itself worthy.

But for them to drop SGA completely and then go straight into SGU is a risky proposition. If SGU fails, there is no SGA to fall back on, or to stimulate the viewers of SGU by running a season of both simultaneously. Wouldn't it be logical to at least havie one more season, or even half of a season of a SGA run concurrently with SGU, so that regular fans would still be drawn to the show, then put SGU right after it?

But that would be logical and might also cost money, so of course they won't do it.

Anyways, in short, people who boycott things like these that they have such limited information about are naive, and could very well ruin the franchise. Sure, by boycotting SGU, they might fall back on SGA. But where will the actors be? Would SGA be any better than SGU if it lacked its cast, at least DH and JF?

It's wishful thinking to believe that they will drag on Stargate just because it has a dedicated following. It could happen, but it's just as possible that it wouldn't, then we'd be screwed.

BUT, I'm not saying we should watch SGU if it sucks. But watch the first few episodes before making such important decisions. Resting a large portion of the fate of the Stargate franchise on the premise of 'targeting a younger audience' and 'a terrible casting call' is so terribly naive. And while we have every right to be angry that SGA has been thrown aside for a risky alternative, it's illogical to boycott the new show as a result, especially if it turns out to be half decent.
                          Last edited by Finger13; 14 October 2008, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                            BUT, I'm not saying we should watch SGU if it sucks. But watch the first few episodes before making such important decisions. Resting a large portion of the fate of the Stargate franchise on the premise of 'targeting a younger audience' and 'a terrible casting call' is so terribly naive. And while we have every right to be angry that SGA has been thrown aside for a risky alternative, it's illogical to boycott the new show as a result, especially if it turns out to be half decent.
                            One thing that made my mind about not watching SGU is that most of what I read about Stargate is related to the franchise, not SG1, SGA, or even SGU.

I watched SGA pilot, and I liked it very much, but after a great first season, things started to change.

So SGU may be a great series (even if I'm way out of the target audience) but since they care about the franchise, not SGU, it may happen that after a couple of great seasons, the original producers would feel the need to move onto the next series on the franchise so, SGU would be handed over to other team of producers, writers, etc., and a great series would likely change as has happened before.

I'm not saying it'll be that way, but I'm really disappointed about the last seasons of SG1, and IMO some SGA season 4 episodes are among the worse I've watched (for what I've read, season 5 is following the same path.)

I wish they stop caring about the franchise, and focus on making just one high quality series at the time, like SG1 was for so many years, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanetsidohi View Post
                              One thing that made my mind about not watching SGU is that most of what I read about Stargate is related to the franchise, not SG1, SGA, or even SGU.

I watched SGA pilot, and I liked it very much, but after a great first season, things started to change.

So SGU may be a great series (even if I'm way out of the target audience) but since they care about the franchise, not SGU, it may happen that after a couple of great seasons, the original producers would feel the need to move onto the next series on the franchise so, SGU would be handed over to other team of producers, writers, etc., and a great series would likely change as has happened before.

I'm not saying it'll be that way, but I'm really disappointed about the last seasons of SG1, and IMO some SGA season 4 episodes are among the worse I've watched (for what I've read, season 5 is following the same path.)

I wish they stop caring about the franchise, and focus on making just one high quality series at the time, like SG1 was for so many years, IMO.
                              Ive also seen the "franchise" term banded about. Im not a franchise fan, I only enjoyed season 1-3 & 5 (so far) of Atlantis and feel no compulsion to watch a show just because its related to stargate. I tried SG1 and didnt like it and feel no compulsion to watch SGU.
                              sigpic
                              banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by Kanetsidohi View Post

A distinction between their approach to the franchise and SGU specifically doesn't make sense. They are tightly linked now. Focussing on making a very good SGU is also going to further the interests of the franchise as a whole. The flip side of that is that if SGU goes down, the franchise is likely to as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X