Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Massey View Post
    I know I'm not the smartest knot hole on the log, so explain to me:
    When the ship makes a stop at a planet, why can't somebody use a stone to go back to earth with the planet's stargate address?
    Couldn't the people on earth dial the planet and send help or pick up the people who might have gone to the planet?
    Because the power required to do that is enormous and they currently don't have access to another Icarus-like planet.

Originally posted by major davis View Post
    Oh and also I had a question I was about to make my own thread but it would be easier to just ask you folks.

Why didn't the Icarus base explosion transfer through destinys gate???? I've thought about it and it just doesn't make sense? Any ideas??
    Probably because the conductors were severed and the wormhole disconnected as the gate shut down just a mere second before the whole planet exploded, as the base probably exploded first. The blast would only have been translated through the wormhole if the power-source of the gate on the other side (Destiny) was able to create, produce the necessary power to power the wormhole/connection.

Some of the energy of the explosion did get transfered/translated through the wormhole by the gate because in the end the wormhole was very unstable and the massive energy blast of the base exploding threw Young through the gate and Destiny's gate room.
    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Massey View Post
      I know I'm not the smartest knot hole on the log, so explain to me:
      When the ship makes a stop at a planet, why can't somebody use a stone to go back to earth with the planet's stargate address?
      Couldn't the people on earth dial the planet and send help or pick up the people who might have gone to the planet?
      Lack of power?

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
        Because the power required to do that is enormous and they currently don't have access to another Icarus-like planet.

Probably because the conductors were severed and the wormhole disconnected as the gate shut down just a mere second before the whole planet exploded, as the base probably exploded first. The blast would only have been translated through the wormhole if the power-source of the gate on the other side (Destiny) was able to create, produce the necessary power to power the wormhole/connection.

Some of the energy of the explosion did get transfered/translated through the wormhole by the gate because in the end the wormhole was very unstable and the massive energy blast of the base exploding threw Young through the gate and Destiny's gate room.
        And I'll repeat that they walked through the gate at Icarus but were flung through the other end, an indication of the amount of power that was translating through the gate even at the distance of millions of light years.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
          And I'll repeat that they walked through the gate at Icarus but were flung through the other end, an indication of the amount of power that was translating through the gate even at the distance of millions of light years.
          I don't know if that really has all that much to do with the amount of power. It's more about calibrating the exact amount of power you need, not too much, yet still enough to power the connection. Creating a fine balance. The fluctuations in the input-power were probably too big and so this created the unstable connection, but still a connection which was and could be sustained by the Icarus-core. So while there's no direct connection with the enormous amount of power required, there's an indirect connection as the equilibration of those exact power levels, finding the balance and then calibrating and calculating the power output of the core into the gate. That can’t be easy for in this special situation so that’s why there’s an indirect connection.

Comment

Thank you Coronach and Jper for answering my question. It helps.

Comment

Hmmm. Good point.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm watching SGU...and I saw SGU 1.0 DVDs on sale in January. Uggg...I hate when series divides their DVDs.
                sigpic

Comment

With all this talk of the enormous amounts of power required to dial to the Destiny, it makes me wonder why they're trying to mimic the power gathering of Icarus, instead of just figuring out a more efficient way to dial the gate. Looking for an Icarus type planet is apparently a 1-in-millions chance, further narrowed by the autopilot, and the Sun thing has catastrophe scribbled all over it (Not just by SGU's experience). So, why not find a way to better...manage the power required to dial the gate? Earth-side they have all of the research of Atlantis, potentially research in Milky Way, Pegasus, and Ori galaxies, and all of the Asgard's information. Destiny-side, they have the unorthodox style of the Destiny, plus Rush and Eli (who is a whiz kid at math, anyway). As long as the stones exist, they have both sides.

Obviously, they can't succeed, because the show depends on them being lost the entire series. Still, logically, this seems like the path they should be taking. It makes me wonder how long it will be before they figure it out In Show.

Comment

sorry kinda new here even though i love this site. 1 destiny can be dialed in my opinion by a full ZPM setup from Atlantis. 2 perhaps there is a possible way to transfer power through the gate to the Destiny were not aware of yet. 3 if the ancients planned on going back to the Destiny at some point (which they surely intended)why put a gate on it that could dial in or out to the ship in a pinpoint manner across that vast amount of unknow space,if was oringinally supposed to be unmaned, why the ability to host any size of a populace

Comment

i dont by into the Icarus planet theory, a planet cannot generate as much needed energy as *lets say a fully functioning Atlantis plus a new and improved SG1with say 3 ZPM's. Not to mention Naq generators. That would seem to be at the minimum 6 ZPM's coupled with Naq gens not to mention Asguard tech or the ability to perhaps build a Supergate and create a black hole and destroy a sun, which has all happened in the last few of SG1, a way back i think is totally possible. And thats where Eli comes in with Rush. They are the key. The man who knows why he's there and the man who calculates the odds of success

Comment

i won't post much but here is my final question. If Destiny was the only ship sent out, why 9 chevrons?

Comment

Originally posted by Yusagi View Post
                          With all this talk of the enormous amounts of power required to dial to the Destiny, it makes me wonder why they're trying to mimic the power gathering of Icarus, instead of just figuring out a more efficient way to dial the gate. Looking for an Icarus type planet is apparently a 1-in-millions chance, further narrowed by the autopilot, and the Sun thing has catastrophe scribbled all over it (Not just by SGU's experience). So, why not find a way to better...manage the power required to dial the gate? Earth-side they have all of the research of Atlantis, potentially research in Milky Way, Pegasus, and Ori galaxies, and all of the Asgard's information. Destiny-side, they have the unorthodox style of the Destiny, plus Rush and Eli (who is a whiz kid at math, anyway). As long as the stones exist, they have both sides.

Obviously, they can't succeed, because the show depends on them being lost the entire series. Still, logically, this seems like the path they should be taking. It makes me wonder how long it will be before they figure it out In Show.
                          You're assuming the efficiency is a problem. I would think it isn't. The efficiency of power getting into the gate, getting translated into the gate is at itx maximum. The gate will absorb every bit of power it can get and use it very efficiently to establish a wormhole.

The problem at hand is that the distance between gates makes the power requirement go up as you need the power to establish a stable wormhole connection. That is what has been established over the long run of SG1, SGA and now SGU.

I really do not understand what you are saying. It seem illogical. There's nothing new here, nor is there anything that can be changed to the already perfectly working gate. You can't improve the efficiency of the power needed by the gate, nor can you improve the efficiency with which the gate absorbs power. You do need two things. A large, enormous amount of power and a good way, conductor to translate that power to the gate. Which is why the Icarus Base project took two years to set up. Which is also why the plan with the sun failed, as getting the power from the star into the gate was a problem.

Thus we can assume that on Earth one know how to get the power efficiently via the right conductors into the gate, the only problem there is that they don't have the right power source. While on the Destiny they could potentially have the right power source with the star-energy, but have no way to translate that power into the gate, if the star-power-source can indeed provide the necessary power. Also if that doesn't work, on Destiny they do not have another power source that can match the necessary power requirement.

Originally posted by beardude8510 View Post
                          sorry kinda new here even though i love this site. 1 destiny can be dialed in my opinion by a full ZPM setup from Atlantis. 2 perhaps there is a possible way to transfer power through the gate to the Destiny were not aware of yet. 3 if the ancients planned on going back to the Destiny at some point (which they surely intended)why put a gate on it that could dial in or out to the ship in a pinpoint manner across that vast amount of unknow space,if was oringinally supposed to be unmaned, why the ability to host any size of a populace
                          1. Where would there be any evidence for that? Also, where would they get at full ZPM setup?

2. I don't understand what that means.

3. Don't understand that either. To reach the Destiny from the MW or from Pegasus one would need to know the nine chevron code and have the technology to dial the address and provide the power required. For dialing the seeded gates to the Destiny, one would have to know where the Destiny is, it would have to be in reach, you would need to build your own DHD, etc. The Destiny has room for a population on board, because as you say the Ancients did indeed intend to return to it.

i dont by into the Icarus planet theory, a planet cannot generate as much needed energy as *lets say a fully functioning Atlantis plus a new and improved SG1with say 3 ZPM's. Not to mention Naq generators. That would seem to be at the minimum 6 ZPM's coupled with Naq gens not to mention Asguard tech or the ability to perhaps build a Supergate and create a black hole and destroy a sun, which has all happened in the last few of SG1, a way back i think is totally possible. And thats where Eli comes in with Rush. They are the key. The man who knows why he's there and the man who calculates the odds of success
                          That's what you say, however, all evidence that we have so far, points towards the fact that the Naquadriah core of Icarus can indeed provide a much larger power-peak/spike than three ZPMs on Atlantis. Also Atlantis isn't fully functioning, nor does it currently have three full ZPMs. Furthermore I don't see what the "new and improved SG1" has to do with this? What you've written down doesn't make any sense, possibly complicated by the fact that sentence structure and grammar doesn't make all that much sense either.

Naquadah generators are far less powerful than a ZPM. Remember the first season SGA episode "Letters from Pegasus".

i won't post much but here is my final question. If Destiny was the only ship sent out, why 9 chevrons?
                          Because the nine chevron combination is a code. This is a failsafe way to incorporate this into the gate-system. Not to mention there could possibly thousands of other codes, other Destiny-like ships etc. Also, there's the possibility that in fact every gate (in the beginning) had/has a fixed code. There's a whole thread about this... Next to several others talking about the gate-system, the prototype gates etc.

Comment

I have been a fan of Stargate for a long time, but I have to admit that SGU is bugging me. Now, I want to say off the bat that I respect the hard work and effort of all those involved in it's creation. Ultimately, however, I have found the show deeply flawed and internally inconsistent.

Starting with the beginning, the attack on the planet they were to depart from is completely random. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it feels like little more than an application of deus ex machina to move the plot in a direction the writers prefer. The suspicion bordering on paranoia that has been shown towards Dr. Rush seems to be completely unwarranted. Up until this last episode, he has not taken any action that could earn him such hatred.

A dominant concern expressed by the characters regarding Dr. Rush is that they doubt his desire to return. Why does it occur to none of the characters that they should simply make it clear that whomever wishes to stay can do so? Even O'Neill is stumped by this.

The episode focused on loss of power onboard the ship is filled with inconsistencies. Why does it occur to no one that the ship may be programmed to recharge itself? It seems this is a secret only to those on board Destiny. Dr. Rush removes himself from consideration for evacuation, then later implies that he knew all along that the ship was not going to be destroyed. Why does he lie so convincingly earlier, then suddenly drop the ball? He would know the consequences of being caught in such a lie, why doesn't he continue lieing?

The communication stones themselves violate even the cartoon-based physics of the stargate universe. They have been used to import enormous amounts of contrived, unnecessary drama that is completely superfluous to the plot. Further, the extraordinary consequences of taking over someone else's body are utterly ignored! What if one infects the body he is using with disease, or causes injury?

The episode prior to this last one was a complete wash, and in fact had nothing at all happen beyond soap opera romantic conflict. The final episode, Justice, demonstrates a complete lack of sensibility on Dr. Rush's part. Framing the group's commander with murder is very risky business. If the plot is exposed, he risks considerable repercussions. It is also a possibility that they may conclude that Dr. Rush himself committed murder, potentially leading to his execution. For Dr. Rush to be so completely lacking in foresight is nonsensical in light of his characterization thus far.

I do feel the show has a great deal of potential, but it has by no means lived up to that potential. In my opinion it does not even live up the to basic standards of dramatic writing. I do not understand why it has failed so spectacularly, but I hope the authors are able to develop their voice into something genuinely compelling and worth watching. Alas, for now, I do not intend upon watching the show further. It is exceedingly dull, and I simply find the internal plot holes entirely too aggravating.

Comment

Originally posted by wackyvorlon View Post
                              The episode prior to this last one was a complete wash, and in fact had nothing at all happen beyond soap opera romantic conflict. The final episode, Justice, demonstrates a complete lack of sensibility on Dr. Rush's part. Framing the group's commander with murder is very risky business. If the plot is exposed, he risks considerable repercussions. It is also a possibility that they may conclude that Dr. Rush himself committed murder, potentially leading to his execution. For Dr. Rush to be so completely lacking in foresight is nonsensical in light of his characterization thus far.
                              Why would they conclude that Dr. Rush committed the murder when Eli found Kino footage of Spencer killing himsef? Also, since when has Dr. Rush been sensible? From episode 1, he's had his own agenda. Justice prooves what lengths he will go to, to acomplish his personal goals.

Originally posted by wackyvorlon View Post
                              I do feel the show has a great deal of potential, but it has by no means lived up to that potential. In my opinion it does not even live up the to basic standards of dramatic writing. I do not understand why it has failed so spectacularly, but I hope the authors are able to develop their voice into something genuinely compelling and worth watching. Alas, for now, I do not intend upon watching the show further. It is exceedingly dull, and I simply find the internal plot holes entirely too aggravating.
                              This has been an area of speculation. There is one thread that suggests that the characters of SGU are unloveable. I can see that as it is difficult to endear yourself to characters with so many flaws that its impossible to believe they're real.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                                You're assuming the efficiency is a problem. I would think it isn't. The efficiency of power getting into the gate, getting translated into the gate is at itx maximum. The gate will absorb every bit of power it can get and use it very efficiently to establish a wormhole.

The problem at hand is that the distance between gates makes the power requirement go up as you need the power to establish a stable wormhole connection. That is what has been established over the long run of SG1, SGA and now SGU.

I really do not understand what you are saying. It seem illogical. There's nothing new here, nor is there anything that can be changed to the already perfectly working gate. You can't improve the efficiency of the power needed by the gate, nor can you improve the efficiency with which the gate absorbs power. You do need two things. A large, enormous amount of power and a good way, conductor to translate that power to the gate. Which is why the Icarus Base project took two years to set up. Which is also why the plan with the sun failed, as getting the power from the star into the gate was a problem.

Thus we can assume that on Earth one know how to get the power efficiently via the right conductors into the gate, the only problem there is that they don't have the right power source. While on the Destiny they could potentially have the right power source with the star-energy, but have no way to translate that power into the gate, if the star-power-source can indeed provide the necessary power. Also if that doesn't work, on Destiny they do not have another power source that can match the necessary power requirement.
                                It is always a matter of efficiency. To use comparisons which are not entirely accurate (as I can't think of a specific example in the same vein), but similar: What you can put on 10 floppy disks, you can put on 1 CD. What you can put on 5 CDs, you can put on 1 DVD. You can have brighter light with less power for a longer time with an LED than with traditional light bulbs. And, you can lift more with a pulley than you can with your arms.

My point here is, energy and the Stargate are no different. It requires different methods to get the desired pulley effect, sure, but it still translates to needing less energy to dial further and longer. Yes, this is a daunting task, and no, they can't succeed in the course of the show on any long-term basis. However, it's not out of the question that they could find a way to more efficiently use the gate within the Stargate universe. They have very brilliant scientists and a lot of resources.

Thus, I don't see why they aren't trying, since they can't possibly know that they are doomed to never succeed at getting home until the series finishes.

Now, obviously, the Stargate is pretty efficient already, but it's implausible to believe that it's the end-all. Even if, somehow the Stargate system manages to use the absolute limit of efficiency of energy (which is frankly absurd, the Ancients were not as epic as that pre-ascension, and post-ascension they wouldn't care to mess with it), it's ridiculous to believe that one of their early Stargates, stationed on the Destiny, or apparently the Icarus planet, would possess the efficiency of the latest-model Gates. Thus, they must be able to find a way to use less power to do what they need. Thus, see above, I don't understand why this hasn't even been touched on.

Comment

Working...
                                X