Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joachim View Post
    Going into SGU and actually expecting a lot of action was your biggest mistake. It was made pretty clear that this is the type of show it would be, and that it wouldn't be relatively mindless run-and-guns.

I, for one, don't need the influence of Michael Bay to enjoy something.
    Quoted for truth

That depends upon the denomination and the feelings surrounding it; more often than not it's simply a matter of repentance.
    Are we talking about being forgiven by God or being forgiven by the Church
    Repentance is necessary to be forgiven by God but repentance alone can't do anything. Just like any other human action can't score points with God.

Anyhow, we have no idea what Lt Scott's thoughts on the matter of forgiveness are, or whether he still believes or accepts that his actions are wrong and require forgiveness. So we don't really have enough information to judge.
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Nitegate View Post
      this thread has been opened for an hour now

and i am self centered, thanks for noticing, i want my opinion out there and don't feel like looking for the threads, they can merge this if they want

and i have no problem with religion, don't make the most religious one having sex with anything he meets and him thinking if he prays to god it's forgiven
      God forgives all. It was saind in the BSG
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
        God forgives all. It was saind in the BSG
        That's right, BSG invented the concept of forgiveness, I almost forgot!

Joking aside, "Without the shedding of blood there can be no remission of sins." Ouch. (No, I'm not out for TPTB's blood, what made you think that? )
        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.

Comment

When I see the religious issue brought up, I always question whether this like the sex issue is a red herring to other issues. The reason I say this is simply we have 6 episodes (240+ minutes) and the sex and religious scenes combined have now totaled what? 5 minutes? More importantly, how it was addressed. Simply stating a character's past, and people draw conclusions. The one I find humorous was a scene where people are facing impending doom as a group, so they are praying. And suddenly some draw this conclusion as the "OMG another religious scene....". There is nothing more to read into it other that the reality is you will always have some people that pray before death. Don't believe me, just ask a prisoner about to be executed...oh wait. Well you get the idea. Ditto the "sex" scenes, to which honestly have been non-existant. Wow, so we have a 3 second shot of a thigh. People were warned, yet act shocked, SHOCKED I SAY that this show dare to portray humans as, well humans. Little did I know that when you show humans being humans, this is suddenly no longer Science Fiction. Silly me, I forgot we require super heroes and comic book characters.

Comment

SBN is right. Everybody goes crazy about the little things that make up human society. Most people have sex somehow with someone whether that be a spouse, partner, or any girl who walks through the door. The same isn't NECESSARILY true about religion, but there are portions of society that do have some sort of religion...which is reflected in the show. You have Scott and you have that one group that were praying...but you've got others playing cards, reading, and watching space...hardly shoving religion down your throat.

Comment

Originally posted by Joachim View Post
              Going into SGU and actually expecting a lot of action was your biggest mistake. It was made pretty clear that this is the type of show it would be, and that it wouldn't be relatively mindless run-and-guns.

I, for one, don't need the influence of Michael Bay to enjoy something.
              i don't like michael bay stuff and i don't like the transformers either.

i didn't want to get into a religion bout, but i have nothing wrong with religion and stuff, i just wanted to know why they made the biggest sinner the most religious in the show, also it wasn't his past how he was talking about getting a 16 year old pregnant when he was 16, he was still doing his ways in Air Part 1, that's what i was trying to get at. oh well.

i thought Water was pretty good, the best episode so far. so there is potential for the show, and Air Part 1 and 2 were good too, just the episodes imbetween were kinda sleepers like the meaningless part of:

Spoiler:
              Col. Young talking to his wife/ex-wife, they just dragged it on and on and on, get to the point where you could have had other stuff

and i love the stargate franchise and i'll learn to like a show that's a sleeper in some episodes, and as long as the stargate continues in some way, that's a real plus.

Comment

i didn't want to get into a religion bout, but i have nothing wrong with religion and stuff, i just wanted to know why they made the biggest sinner the most religious in the show, also it wasn't his past how he was talking about getting a 16 year old pregnant when he was 16, he was still doing his ways in Air Part 1, that's what i was trying to get at. oh well.
                I'm not sure Scott could be considered the 'biggest sinner' on the show... and I'm not sure why it matters if he was a sinner and religious. But, that may be because I don't think being religious suddenly makes you better, or more moral then the next person.
                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

i just wanted to know why they made the biggest sinner the most religious in the show, .
                  Probably because the writers have made a special point to give an accurate depiction of human beings. So they are peeling back some layers to reveal the nasty that people don't always like exposed. "Christians", IMO, are some of the biggest fakers known to man and some of the biggest rats in the world hiding behind a nice pretty shiney surface of fakery....no drink, no smoke, no sex = I'm fantastic. They can tend to be very condesending and pretend they have a better grip on morals and ethics. But they only fool themselves. Not saying Scott is a rat by any means just simply stating there are several different directions you could take with a "Christian" character if you wanted to go deep.

Comment

totally agree!

Comment

I am also not enjoying the show thus far. Imo the story is going incredibly slow, elements such as sex are being brought into the show which it has never needed before (no I'm not even the slightest bit prude) and thus far none of the exciting sci fi stuff from stargate which i love is going on e.g. fighting the wraith, flying around in space ships, engaging in battles with enemy ships etc etc..

I am going to continue watching as i must admit the most fun i get from the show now is reading what other people think on forums and peoples guesses on what will happen, but i really hope it improves.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
                        I am also not enjoying the show thus far. Imo the story is going incredibly slow, elements such as sex are being brought into the show which it has never needed before (no I'm not even the slightest bit prude) and thus far none of the exciting sci fi stuff from stargate which i love is going on e.g. fighting the wraith, flying around in space ships, engaging in battles with enemy ships etc etc..

I am going to continue watching as i must admit the most fun i get from the show now is reading what other people think on forums and peoples guesses on what will happen, but i really hope it improves.
                        *snort* Sex has been in the former Stargates before, needed or not. Because, prudish opinions or not, sex is a human thing to do, and TV shows sometimes have these crazy people on them also known as human beings, who have sex, make mistakes and do all kinds of whacky things sometimes.

Weren't you well aware that SGU was going to be different than the previous two instalments? At all? Why does your post sound so surprised?

Besides, Sci-fi is not just an excuse to fight battles with other ships like your post makes it out to be.
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                          I'm not sure Scott could be considered the 'biggest sinner' on the show... and I'm not sure why it matters if he was a sinner and religious. But, that may be because I don't think being religious suddenly makes you better, or more moral then the next person.
                          Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                          Probably because the writers have made a special point to give an accurate depiction of human beings. So they are peeling back some layers to reveal the nasty that people don't always like exposed. "Christians", IMO, are some of the biggest fakers known to man and some of the biggest rats in the world hiding behind a nice pretty shiney surface of fakery....no drink, no smoke, no sex = I'm fantastic. They can tend to be very condesending and pretend they have a better grip on morals and ethics. But they only fool themselves. Not saying Scott is a rat by any means just simply stating there are several different directions you could take with a "Christian" character if you wanted to go deep.
                          As a Christian myself I couldn't agree more.
                          Last edited by Eternal Density; 04 November 2009, 02:18 AM. Reason: m and ; substitution

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                            So is pooping, so is farting, so is burping.

Come on, it frustrates me when hardcore fans(myself included) ignore their personal opinion and defend the show and the things they defend are what frustrate them most. Its not a crime to say you don't like a certain aspect of SGU.
                            I did wha'?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sgakaz View Post
                              Sorry if this has been said before, so the supplies that they managed to get thrown into the gate to the destiny did they included contraception or are they going to have all the sexually active women getting pregnant.
                              :facepalm:
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                                So is pooping, so is farting, so is burping.
                                Those things are shown on TV to.

Comment

Working...
                                X