Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GYPSYGESE View Post
    Well...glad to see i,m not the only one who did not like it....kept waiting for it to get interesting.....Big SG fan, since day one....characters to shallow (who cares?)..stry line just dragged on.....1st time ever...did not watch repeat!!!! so sad
    I agree with you. This one let me down, but let's give this one a go a little longer shall we?

I watched SG-1 & SG-A 3x already.

Comment

As far as pilots goes SGU was not very good. It was 90 minutes of nothing but setup.

<Snipped by Moderator.>
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 03 October 2009, 01:00 AM. Reason: keep it about the show and chars ,thanks.

Comment

I liked it, but no it's not SG1, but then nothing can ever top the original, only part that I really got excited about was any scenes with O'Neill, I've still got a mad crush on him!
        General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
          As far as pilots goes SGU was not very good. It was 90 minutes of nothing but setup.

<Snipped by Moderator.>
          you just defined a pilot.

Originally posted by VolrathEvincar View Post
          R U serious? Very like BG....shots, drama and ticking clock? It reminds me of that alot....
          ehh? Like SG-1 never had any ticking clocks? Have you seen Children of the Gods? Dark, gloomy.

The camera work actlualy looks a lot more like what you would find in shows like "The Closer"-great show, why? character interaction.

Drama? Nick and Disney have plenty of dramaless. sometimes the Discovery, History and Nationalgeograhic channels show some dramaless things. Have you seen Atlantis? or SG-1?
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

The actors were great and there were a couple of scenes that were fantastic
            Spoiler:
            practically all of Eli's scenes and those of Cloe towards the end
            but I think my expectations were too high because I was very disappointed and bored through most of it.
            Spoiler:
            I understand that in the first episode there will be holes in the plot - it's only natural - but things like in the beginning with the unnamed Goa'uld stupidly attacking the planet and getting themselves blown to bits... yeah... I also didn't get the "code" explanation/solution Eli gave Rush before they started dialing out the gate.
            The dark/dramatic-ness is different to say the least and although it's a realistic response to their situation, I miss the witty humor that was dominant in SG-1 and SGA. I wish they had a little more comic relief from someone other than Eli

I'll be tuning in next week, but I'm not very optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              Ok now that people have seen the premiere officially...

Spoiler:
              Was I right about Rush and Eli? Come on now. Seriously they truly focused on those two characters and they sold the show for me. I also like TJ she comes off as a female Beckett.
              You're right about those two for sure, but I'm surprised you didn't mention Scott or Chloe. Both characters stood out quite substantially for me, the latter for obvious reasons in the 2nd part.
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                You're right about those two for sure, but I'm surprised you didn't mention Scott or Chloe. Both characters stood out quite substantially for me, the latter for obvious reasons in the 2nd part.
                Those two defiantly had some chemistry.

The ship is almost a character it's self. Like it's the show's enemy, and not some kind of space-monster bend of conquest.

The camera work reminded me more of the early seasons of Law & Order, then BSG, for some reason.

Comment

Scott really stood out for me, not so much with Chloe. For me she only really registered twice
                  Spoiler:
                  1. dowing the half a glass of wine, when her farther started the speak and 2.When she came crazy at Rush

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                    Scott really stood out for me, not so much with Chloe. For me she only really registered twice
                    Spoiler:
                    1. dowing the half a glass of wine, when her farther started the speak and 2.When she came crazy at Rush
                    Haha,

Spoiler:
                    I laughed SO hard at Chloe's reaction. She knew right away what her dad was going on about, and she's all "Oh my God.....". Sorry, I just thought it was hilarious

For me, her shining moments were the 3 scenes in Part 2. When her father died, the attacking Rush scene, and the scene with Scott in the observatory.

Elyse blew me away with her acting ability, and I'm glad everything JM said about her ended up being true, at least for me
                    Sig by Pandora's Box
                    sigpic

Comment

Haha,

Spoiler:
                      I laughed SO hard at Chloe's reaction. She knew right away what her dad was going on about, and she's all "Oh my God.....". Sorry, I just thought it was hilarious
                      Spoiler:

I agree.

For me, her shining moments were the 3 scenes in Part 2. When her father died, the attacking Rush scene, and the scene with Scott in the observatory.
                      For me
                      Spoiler:
                      scene with Scott in the observatory, showed me much more abour Scott than it did Chloe, with the line "a man died for me, i want to know more about him" or something to that effect.

Elyse blew me away with her acting ability, and I'm glad everything JM said about her ended up being true, at least for me
                      Again i do agree about her acting ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                        For me
                        Spoiler:
                        scene with Scott in the observatory, showed me much more abour Scott than it did Chloe, with the line "a man died for me, i want to know more about him" or something to that effect.
                        Oh I totally agree here. Just saying I think it was one of Chloe's better scenes as well.

Spoiler:

If you want, you can read my full LJ post about the SGU premiere. But I did mention this about Lt. Scott:

Brian adds such nuance to Scott that it's almost hard to put into words. For example, did anyone else notice how timidly he approached Dr. Rush in the observation deck? Or how about the uncertainty in his voice when he was trying to get people's attention in the gate room. And (probably my most favorite), the almost inaudible "Fair enough" he says to Chloe in their scene in the observation deck.

Again i do agree about her acting ability.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

I know I am only rehashing everything else that has been said. But in IMHO: Creators cracked open film cans from Lost, ST Voyager, and Dallas and threw them against the wall to see what came out. This is adult TV? An MIT grad sitting at home playing video games becomes the guy that solves the secret of the Ancients? Come on guys? They only discover the Destiny (melodramatic pause) when it is about to fall apart (must borrowed that from Gilligan's Island - remember how they constantly found things that would get them off the island but oh no the radio is really broken)? On the characters? There were so many people we met that I only cut one or two of them squared away by name. I anticipate that people will begin to die quickly in this series so that they can trim the budget and the emotional load. Characters seen as popular with the fans will remain. Of course by the end we will discover that Eli is a trans-dimnensional genius, T. G. is a brilliant surgeon, Rush though emotionally shaky is a visionary, er . . . I don't remember who any of the rest of the people were.
                          The visual effects were over reaching. Did Col what's-his-face float in via slow-mo cause they couldn't figure out how to throw the guy across the room. The lighting was so dark and dim that I couldn't make out a lot of what was going on. I know this is supposed to create a darker or edgier feel. But I got the impression that they just had to find a way to save money.
                          I didn't watch BSG. What little of it I saw seemed depressing. SGU seems right in line with this. Maybe this reflects the vision most folks have in our society that the future is dark and hopeless. I hope not. I liked SG1 and even SGA had that upbeat we are going to get out of this feel to it. Its just MHO, but I think that is what made most fans watch.
                          Character driven. Funny, I seem to remember an interview several years back where we Brad Wright (I think it was anyway) talked about how SG1 was a character driven show. I actually thought that as the show progressed we learned more about the characters and came to like them more and more. If we didn't the fault lies with TPTB for not pursing that. Am I wrong in thinking that TPTB are the same for this show?
                          Well, probably will watch this on an episode by episode basis. Not sold on it. Would have watched the show twice had it been Atlantis or SG1. During the first running kept flipping to the "Spectacular Spiderman" cartoon. Then would forget to switch back. Hey there was more character development and danger with Spidey!!!

Comment

Hi all Tau'ri. I have now finished the 2 first episodes and I got a mixed feeling. I had high expectations and it might have been to high to start with,but I am not disappointed at all. In the beginning I was waiting for something more without knowing exactly what I was waiting for. The quality of filming to visual effects is outstanding. I had to compare this pilot to SGA`s "Rising",but Rising gave me more from start to end than "Air" did. The good thing is that the last minutes made things much much better. Now I cant wait to see part 3 so people... the "new" countdown begins. 6 days left.

Comment

I'm not sold yet, but I overall enjoyed the episode. I have to say that the constant commercial interruption absolutely ruined the mood of the episode. The episode would have flowed much better if they had done "normal" commercial breaks instead of doing short commercials every couple minutes, frequently winding up in the middle of critical scenes ("in the middle of my back-swing!"). I just hope that they don't do that again next week, I doubt my group of Stargate friends will be able to handle the show if that's going to be the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Compholio View Post
                                I'm not sold yet, but I overall enjoyed the episode. I have to say that the constant commercial interruption absolutely ruined the mood of the episode.
                                I've seen so many people say that, i'm glad i watched it without commercials.

Comment

Working...
                                X