Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tone begats tone. A lot of us could dial it back a notch in the name of common courtesy, and I'm not absolving myself of that, either. Perhaps we could give that a go...

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
      Tone begats tone. A lot of us could dial it back a notch in the name of common courtesy, and I'm not absolving myself of that, either. Perhaps we could give that a go...
      we could

but where's the fun in that?

then again...... saying that Lorne is bland and blaming it on him just being bland... instead of understanding that he's a background character and has never been given a character arc...... well, you know where i'm going...

in fact.... Ford was the same damm way for a while...... just another soldier boy...... then he was given a character arc

see... in order for a character to become multi-dimensional, he/she must be given an arc....... its a law of literary structure and mechanics... without an arc, a character will only develop if he/she gets incredibly lucky, but 99 times out of 100, that ends up involving the character having an arc....

the simple truth is:

the writers of SGA are not concerned with deep-routed arcs.... and have only given 2....... maybe 3 characters arcs of their own: Weir, Carson and McKay... Ronon gets an arc teased here and there, but eventually he winds up just the same

and, no teyla has not had one...... she has had PLOT arcs.... but not CHARACTER arcs.... well, i'll correct that... she had a mini one this season for 2 episodes.... despite that, though, she's still the same...

SGA has very shallow writing..... so to see a background character as bland is not unexpected....

but, then again.... why are you surprised that a background character is bland and undeveloped?
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Wow! I couldn't agree more! I've always just refered to it as a lack of character development, but when you put it in terms of story arcs, it's really much more clear. Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
          Wow! I couldn't agree more! I've always just refered to it as a lack of character development, but when you put it in terms of story arcs, it's really much more clear. Well said!
          i do what i do... which is think beyond the simplistic
          Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
          Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
          Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
          Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
            we could

but where's the fun in that?

then again...... saying that Lorne is bland and blaming it on him just being bland... instead of understanding that he's a background character and has never been given a character arc...... well, you know where i'm going...
            Around in a circle? You don't need a character arc to avoid being bland and boring, and Lorne, IMO, failed to do that.

in fact.... Ford was the same damm way for a while...... just another soldier boy...... then he was given a character arc
            I disagree, Ford had character straight off the bat, only a few lines in you knew he had personality, I can't say the same for Lorne.

see... in order for a character to become multi-dimensional, he/she must be given an arc....... its a law of literary structure and mechanics... without an arc, a character will only develop if he/she gets incredibly lucky, but 99 times out of 100, that ends up involving the character having an arc....
            Who said anything about him being a multi-dimensional character?

the simple truth is:

the writers of SGA are not concerned with deep-routed arcs.... and have only given 2....... maybe 3 characters arcs of their own: Weir, Carson and McKay... Ronon gets an arc teased here and there, but eventually he winds up just the same

and, no teyla has not had one...... she has had PLOT arcs.... but not CHARACTER arcs.... well, i'll correct that... she had a mini one this season for 2 episodes.... despite that, though, she's still the same...
            All irrelevant to the conversation, but I'll bite. What about Teyla coming to terms with her pregnancy, and choosing whether or not to stay on the team? Surely that qualifies as a character arc?

SGA has very shallow writing..... so to see a background character as bland is not unexpected....

but, then again.... why are you surprised that a background character is bland and undeveloped?
            Being undeveloped has nothing to do with being bland, they're two completely different things. Lorne just has absolutely no personality of his own, Kavan says his lines no differently that a random extra. Now it's true that you can develop a character to a point where they've changed so much that they are an interesting and rich character, but what's the point in doing that when you can start a new and create a fully formed personality from the get go? It's like Lam, Lexa Doig brought absolutely nothing to that role, yet Keegan Connor Tracy played a doc for one episode that had more personality than Doig had managed to display in Lam in 11 episodes. I just don't see the point in trying to force a nothing character into a show when you can just create a new one and do a proper job of it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
              i'd critique this post, but i'm above criticizing grade-school level thoughts...

Why would you insult someone like that simply for disagreeing.....

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Speculation? That this show is the reason behind the axing of Atlantis...

Chances of SGU being a success? Not very high, considering the large number of SGA fans now on the warpath and ready to boycott this sucker!
                sigpic
                My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Col.Errandboy View Post
                  Speculation? That this show is the reason behind the axing of Atlantis...

Chances of SGU being a success? Not very high, considering the large number of SGA fans now on the warpath and ready to boycott this sucker!
                  Trust me, the number of boycotters and the number of general franchise fans who will tune in because it has 'Stargate' in its title has a huge proportional difference, with an enormous lead for the latter.

It amazes me how many people think that everyone who watches Stargate is as obsessive as the people on this forum. Think about it -- if that were the case, there'd be about 1.4 million people on here.

There aren't.
                  If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Im kind of annoyed that SGU has caused the cancelation of SGA but at the moment my only hope is they somehow manage to get Rodney McKay as a main character on SGU. He is a great character and i think he would be a good addition to another Stargate franchise.

Comment

Okay, really, folks. Does anyone have official proof that SGU is even confirmed yet?

Edited to define my words better: Of course it's out there, but does anyone have substantial evidence it's been picked up? No, because it hasn't been, so we don't overly even know if Sci-Fi is going to take them up on it or not.
                      If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                        Im kind of annoyed that SGU has caused the cancelation of SGA but at the moment my only hope is they somehow manage to get Rodney McKay as a main character on SGU. He is a great character and i think he would be a good addition to another Stargate franchise.

if Hewlett is in SGu i'll watch the show perhaps, but i think they take news actors !

my delicious http://delicious.com/marlislash

Comment

Okay, so both SG1 and SGA have been canceled but Stargate Universe is on the way.
                          I've read allot of threads and comments praising the hatting different parts of both the shows.
                          So what do people think SGU should have, what kind of story lines, what kind of charectures and what kinds of aliens.
                          please DONT take this as an opportunity to whine about everything you didn't like about SG1 and SGA.

I'll start:
                          I think it should be in the style of the earlier season of SG1 where every episode is about finding and exploring a new planet and big space fights should only be used in the season finales.

I think it should not be shown on SciFI channel instead maybe go back to showtime, I know they where the people to cancel it the first time around and they did wreck the pilot but they can't be worse than SciFi channel, can they? I also liked the style of the episodes better when it was on showtime. 50 minutes without advertise is longer than 1 hour with.

I have more idea but I'll let everyone else have a go.

Comment

There are many threads on here already about SGU and discussions about what it may involve. Use the search function to find them as their is no pints starting yet another thead about it.
                            sigpic

Comment

well what i heard about it sounded great so i'll let the planning up to the writers but i certainly like your idea about the way SGU should be like the beginning from SG1 but mixed with a bit of the atlantis episodes. maybe a team consisting of ronon, mckay, sheppard and daniel

Comment

I want to see Rodney McKay as a main character in Stargate Universe. Im not sure how it could happen but if the writers wanted it to happen then it would.

McKay is a great character who i think could fit into Stargate Universe quite well.

Comment

Working...
                                X