This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Folks

The topic of this thread is "Tapping in Atlantis + SG1 New movies!". So let's stick to that topic.
    Anything else, i.e. personal opinions about other members, personal opinions about other member's likes and dislikes, personal opinions about other member's posting habits and their responses will be deleted as they are off topic.

Sanctuary has multiple threads of its own for discussion. It is not on topic here either.

Since we have yet to receive anyone's "Psychic Network" Membership Card. Speaking for General Fandom OR TPTB is not on topic. Even if you have your card it would still not be on topic

Please find the appropriate threads to express the opinions you hold if they are not on topic here. Posting them here will only get them removed.

Thank You
    TameFarrar
    GateWorld Moderator
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

After careful reflection I don't want to see anymore of Carter - ever. Her forced intrusion into Atlantis ruined the show for me and imo is one of the main reasons why it was cancelled. I think she had no real reason for being there and was a very poor substiute for Weir. The character was deadly dull, flat and boring on SG1 and unbelievably became even worse when she switched shows. I don't want her to infect the Atlantis movies and I don't want her in any future SG1 movies either.

The character has become the most annoying female character in the history of tv, imo. As each season went by and tptb bestowed more and more ridiculous skills on her, more and more talents, more and more promotions, more and more love interests etc it moved through funny, flirted with embarressment for a while and then took a nosedive into pathetic desperation. To me it was almost as if tptb realised that no matter what they did with the character, no matter how much they thrust her forward, no matter how much they promoted her, she still wasn't ever going to be the star character they wanted her to be. Imo a very large part of that is the fact that, again imo, Tapping just isn't that good an actress.

You simply can't turn a wooden, mediocre actor into a star. Sure you can promote her up the wazoo, splash her face over magazines, interview the cr*p out of her, give her all the right lines, try to re-write cannon, move her up the cast listings and plaster her to the real stars of the show in as many scenes as possible. She is still going to be Sam Carter as played by Amanda Tapping. And no way, no how will she ever be a star. IMO.
      sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
        She's outgrown the franchise.
        Oh I hope not......I for one want to see ALL my favs back in the films.....and from all the actors that I've seen at various conventions (and thanks to Gatecon this year that now means RDA too..) I get the feeling that they'd all do what they could to be in as many of the SG films as possible and support the franchise to their utmost abilities....

I would hope that none of them think they've outgrown the franchise....it would hurt me very much to think that they're doing this just for the money.........after all the wonderful things I've heard about working together for 10 years and the fantastic atmosphere at Bridge...

I hope she's back for those who want to see Sam again, but I haven't liked the writing for SG-1 in years, so won't be watching.
        I'm sorry that you feel like that......But I do think there are many of us who, although not as vehement in our support for certain characters as some, lurk here quietly and try rationally and fairly support all those involved in the making of the Stargate films...

Deeds xx
        sigpic
        Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
        MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

I don't really care if she's in the movies. I stopped caring after Continuum. Never did really appreciate about SGA. (Ronon is *hot* though.)

She's outgrown the franchise. Odd, how an actress that is "wooden" is well-liked by her bosses and her co-workers for her ability to nail a scene in only a few takes. And has received awards for her work.

Oh. And left the franchise for another series - as the star *and* an EP. I don't see any other actor on Stargate doing that. When one left he came back with not much to his credit for that year. And has managed only spotty guest roles on a cable show recently.

I hope she's back for those who want to see Sam again, but I haven't liked the writing for SG-1 in years, so won't be watching.
          If you don't mind me asking, why did you stop caring after Continuum? Although not a fan of Tapping/Carter I actually enjoyed her in both AOT and to a lesser degree Continuum. Of course my enjoyment of Continuum was helped by the fact that one of the 'ships' that some people thought might be referenced, wasn't. Just to add something new to my previous posts that is also another reason I don't want to see Carter in the next SG1 movie, not if it has RDA in it.

As for Tapping having outgrown the franchise, hasn't she said on a number of occassions that she would be more than willing to come back to do the movies etc? I am sure she would, as would CJ and MS who also have their own show/ movie in the works. I don't think any of them have ruled out the possibility of returning, not even Shanks who has been rather busy since the series ended making movies and guest starring on different shows. And won't Tapping's new show be over by the time they start filming anyway?

Imo the writing on SG1 improved in the last two seasons, and AOT was pretty good. I didn't think Continuum was that great but maybe BW can do better for the next one. I wouldn't want to see another alternate timeline movie, they are just a waste of time imo but BW has writen some good stuff in the past, although I do much prefer the way RCC writes Carter. BW does the character no favours as far as I am concerned. To me his version of her is the one I really don't like. He is the one who has had the tendency to go way over the top when it comes to Carter/Tapping.

What would bring you back and make you watch the next movie/s?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
            If you don't mind me asking, why did you stop caring after Continuum? Although not a fan of Tapping/Carter I actually enjoyed her in both AOT and to a lesser degree Continuum. Of course my enjoyment of Continuum was helped by the fact that one of the 'ships' that some people thought might be referenced, wasn't. Just to add something new to my previous posts that is also another reason I don't want to see Carter in the next SG1 movie, not if it has RDA in it.

As for Tapping having outgrown the franchise, hasn't she said on a number of occassions that she would be more than willing to come back to do the movies etc? I am sure she would, as would CJ and MS who also have their own show/ movie in the works. I don't think any of them have ruled out the possibility of returning, not even Shanks who has been rather busy since the series ended making movies and guest starring on different shows. And won't Tapping's new show be over by the time they start filming anyway?

Imo the writing on SG1 improved in the last two seasons, and AOT was pretty good. I didn't think Continuum was that great but maybe BW can do better for the next one. I wouldn't want to see another alternate timeline movie, they are just a waste of time imo but BW has writen some good stuff in the past, although I do much prefer the way RCC writes Carter. BW does the character no favours as far as I am concerned. To me his version of her is the one I really don't like. He is the one who has had the tendency to go way over the top when it comes to Carter/Tapping.

Because he wallpapers her like he did in S9-10+AoT?

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
              Because he wallpapers her like he did in S9-10+AoT?
              No, not at all, because she wasn't wallpapered, imo. She was just a better character in AOT to me. More like the old Carter from the early seasons. She also had as much screen time as the rest of them and an important part to play in the plot. I do think that she was wallpapered somewhat on Atlantis though, but that was because she really had no reason to be there and was more of less shoehorned in just for the sake of it. No doubt someone, somewhere thought that it would bring in new viewers and we all know how that turned out.

As for seasons 9-10 she was all over the episodes from what I could see.
              sigpic

Comment

After careful reflection I don't want to see anymore of Carter - ever. Her forced intrusion into Atlantis ruined the show for me and imo is one of the main reasons why it was cancelled.
                right because Atlantis was cancelled after s4

I think she had no real reason for being there and was a very poor substiute for Weir.
                she wasn't supposed to be a substitute for Weir

The character was deadly dull, flat and boring on SG1 and unbelievably became even worse when she switched shows. I don't want her to infect the Atlantis movies and I don't want her in any future SG1 movies either.
                sorry but she'll probably appear in at least the next SG-1 movie, maybe even Atlantis

The character has become the most annoying female character in the history of tv, imo.
                hahaha seriously? in the history of tv?

As each season went by and tptb bestowed more and more ridiculous skills on her, more and more talents, more and more promotions, more and more love interests etc it moved through funny, flirted with embarressment for a while and then took a nosedive into pathetic desperation. To me it was almost as if tptb realised that no matter what they did with the character, no matter how much they thrust her forward, no matter how much they promoted her, she still wasn't ever going to be the star character they wanted her to be. Imo a very large part of that is the fact that, again imo, Tapping just isn't that good an actress.
                they promoted her? oh no!

You simply can't turn a wooden, mediocre actor into a star. Sure you can promote her up the wazoo, splash her face over magazines, interview the cr*p out of her, give her all the right lines, try to re-write cannon, move her up the cast listings and plaster her to the real stars of the show in as many scenes as possible. She is still going to be Sam Carter as played by Amanda Tapping.
                yup

And no way, no how will she ever be a star. IMO.
                she's a star in the SG franchise, as are RDA, MS, CJ, DD and the Atlantis team
                sigpic
                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I never said *she* felt she had outgrown the series. Perhaps I have.
                  Perhaps they can film any movies she's in when she's between seasons.

What would bring me back?
                  Spoiler:
                  A total lack of what-happened-in/the introduced-characters-of S9/S10. And a lack of RCC.
                  Since there's a snowball's chance in Netu of that... you see my problem.

So... best of luck in future movies to all who decide to do them. It'll be needed.

Ta.

suse
                  Last edited by suse; 10 October 2008, 05:44 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

The character has become the most annoying female character in the history of tv, imo.
                    In the entire history of TV, including female characters on soap operas??? C

You simply can't turn a wooden, mediocre actor into a star.
                    Sure you can. Arnold Schwarzenegger comes to mind.

In spite of your wishes, Carter will no doubt be in the next movie along with RDA, MS, CJ, BB and CB, etc. You're just going to have to suffer through it or simply not buy the DVD or even watch it if she destroys things so much for you.

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
                      In the entire history of TV, including female characters on soap operas??? C

Sure you can. Arnold Schwarzenegger comes to mind.

In spite of your wishes, Carter will no doubt be in the next movie along with RDA, MS, CJ, BB and CB, etc. You're just going to have to suffer through it or simply not buy the DVD or even watch it if she destroys things so much for you.

Well, I don't watch soap operas so can't comment on those but yes, I find Carter to be the most annoying character I have ever seen.

Has anyone heard any news on the next SG1 movies? The cast, plot or anything other than BW wanting to make it Jack centric? If it turns out to be another AOT with that version of Carter and no hint of ship between any of the characters I might just give it a go. If I hear from someone whose opinion I trust that it is another movie along the lines of Continuum, a movie I found quite dull, slow paced and ultimately pointless, I might just pass on it.

I happen to quite like Arnie, I loved him in Twins. A star doesn't have to be that fantastic an actor imo, it can simply be someone with star quality and a certain air about them. Oh and if Arnie came up to me and told me he was a star I wouldn't argue with him!
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, I don't watch soap operas so can't comment on those but yes, I find Carter to be the most annoying character I have ever seen.
                        ok so she's not the most annoying character in the history of tv but simply the most annoying character you've seen. little difference...

Has anyone heard any news on the next SG1 movies? The cast, plot or anything other than BW wanting to make it Jack centric? If it turns out to be another AOT with that version of Carter and no hint of ship between any of the characters I might just give it a go. If I hear from someone whose opinion I trust that it is another movie along the lines of Continuum, a movie I found quite dull, slow paced and ultimately pointless, I might just pass on it.
                        nope I think all we know is that it's supposed to be an O'Neill story and apparently BW's writing a shall we say romantic scene, most likely S/J. oh and Joe mentioned
                        StellaByStargate writes: “What is Carl up to these days anyway?”

Answer: Oh, he’s working on the SG-1 movie script, presently hammering out an outline with Brad.
                        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

I happen to quite like Arnie, I loved him in Twins. A star doesn't have to be that fantastic an actor imo, it can simply be someone with star quality and a certain air about them. Oh and if Arnie came up to me and told me he was a star I wouldn't argue with him!
                        agreed
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                          ok so she's not the most annoying character in the history of tv but simply the most annoying character you've seen. little difference...

nope I think all we know is that it's supposed to be an O'Neill story and apparently BW's writing a shall we say romantic scene, most likely S/J. oh and Joe mentioned

No difference to me as I was only speaking for myself.

I wouldn't count on that, Sam and Teal'c have a more cannon relationship than S/J, imo and they make a very cute couple. It could be another nice romantic scene between Daniel and Vala. Or even Jack and Sara. Or Mitchell and Lam.

I can't remember when we first started to get some sketchy details about the AOT and Continuum, so I guess it's just a case of wait and see.
                          sigpic

Comment

No difference to me as I was only speaking for myself.

I wouldn't count on that, Sam and Teal'c have a more cannon relationship than S/J, imo and they make a very cute couple. It could be another nice romantic scene between Daniel and Vala. Or even Jack and Sara. Or Mitchell and Lam.

I can't remember when we first started to get some sketchy details about the AOT and Continuum, so I guess it's just a case of wait and see.

Mitchell and Lam? Oh, yeah, that would have millions of fans all excited and lining up in droves to buy the DVD Since it's Brad writing it and since it's going to be an O'Neill movie (at least at this juncture), I'd lay odds that it would be S/J. But ya never, know, they could shoot it and then edit it out.

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
                              Mitchell and Lam? Oh, yeah, that would have millions of fans all excited and lining up in droves to buy the DVD Since it's Brad writing it and since it's going to be an O'Neill movie (at least at this juncture), I'd lay odds that it would be S/J. But ya never, know, they could shoot it and then edit it out.
                              It might, who knows?

The thing is that there really is no way of knowing what would make people buy the movie, is there. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that a cannon relationship between Sam and Jack would have millions of fans excited and lining up to buy it. Same goes for any and all of the many relationships that fans like to see on the show. From my experience for every fan who wants to see a couple get it together there is another that doesn't to cancel them out. Shipping characters on tv shows/films etc has been going on since tv began and before really, if you think of novels etc. Imo when tptb make such relationships cannon it never ends well.

If Tapping/Carter is in the Atlantis movie as well how would that fit in the SG1timeline? Are they still running parallel?
                              sigpic

Comment

It might, who knows?

The thing is that there really is no way of knowing what would make people buy the movie, is there. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that a cannon relationship between Sam and Jack would have millions of fans excited and lining up to buy it. Same goes for any and all of the many relationships that fans like to see on the show. From my experience for every fan who wants to see a couple get it together there is another that doesn't to cancel them out. Shipping characters on tv shows/films etc has been going on since tv began and before really, if you think of novels etc. Imo when tptb make such relationships cannon it never ends well.

If Tapping/Carter is in the Atlantis movie as well how would that fit in the SG1timeline? Are they still running parallel?
                                Yeah that's why the posts&views for pro ship theards equal that for anti ship threads

Comment

Working...
                                X