This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    I didn't mean her promotion wasn't believable, more AT's performance. She doesn't have much of a commanding presence IMO and she's never been very believable as a soldier either I don't think, much less one who's supposed to be giving Teal'c and Daniel orders.
    I agree, AT doesn't have the range or the acting chops to pull off command. Imo should would have been better suited to play a character more like the AT/AU Carter from say TBFTGOG. As a civilian some of her more dubious decisions and actions would have been more acceptable and a lot more believable.

As to her giving orders to Teal'c and Daniel - that is just laughable!
    sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

How come so many threads around here end up turning into 'Flynn hates Carter' threads?

She doesn't like her. I, and many others, do. Can we not just leave it at that? Why does the exact same conversation have to come up every few weeks? It always ends up hijacking the thread and we get it for pages on end, with the same thing said over and over again interspesed with little digs at Amanda's acting ability and b****y comments about the character.

And in regards to Amanda's acting ability, I thought it was OK to talk about what you think about characters, but not the actors? Perhaps what has been said here isn't too bad, but some of the comments I've been reading in the news articles should not be allowed IMO. It's utterly pathetic.

Either way, Flynn doesn't like Carter, and won't be changing her mind. Can we leave it at that and stop this? We've had more than enough reminding, we really won't be forgetting it any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
        I got the idea from watching the show, actually.

Carter is a dreadful little character, imo. She displays all of the negative characteristics I mentioned in almost every episode. She gulps and neck stretches her way through scene after scene, whining and doing her 'look at me, look at me' act. She deserts her post, crumbles under pressure/torture, moons around, consorts with aliens, treats her boyfriend like crap, acts just like a thirteen year old when presented with anything in any way, shape, or form adult.. etc... etc. I think that she is the worst character I have ever seen on any show.

But, like I said before, I watch around her, despite her. I love all of the other characters to different levels, why should one bad apple spoile the whole barrel? I find that after so much practise my finger hits the ff button as soon as she opens her mouth! It's become an automatic response. My husband used to throw things at the tv whenever Carter appeared but I had to stop him after he knocked a vase off the top.

That said I did enjoy Carter in AOT because she seemed a lot more like the Carter from the early seasons and if we get that version of the character I could put up with her in the next SG1 movie as long as it is in a supporting role. But I don't want her anywhere near an Atlantis movie, she doesn't belong there and imo should never have taken over from Weir in the first place.
        Well, we certainly all get that you have an intense dislike of Sam Carter, but why keep posting those comments in a place where you know people are going to disagree with you unless you are deliberately trying to bait other people? Doesn't make sense to me. And there is an anti-Carter thread where people would appreciate your comments more and no doubt agree with you. I guess I don't understand why you would deliberately put yourself in a position of being intensely disagreed with and your opinions disputed when you could be elsewhere where people support your ideas. Seems to me you're just asking for it by posting such dislike in a pro-Carter thread. And I guess my only other comment about your dislikes are (though I disagree with them completely) that Sam is human just like the rest of us and has flaws just like the rest of us. None of the characters are perfect, even if we'd like them to be. If they were, that would really be boring.

Comment

Complains Complains...The economy sucks

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Well, we certainly all get that you have an intense dislike of Sam Carter, but why keep posting those comments in a place where you know people are going to disagree with you unless you are deliberately trying to bait other people? Doesn't make sense to me. And there is an anti-Carter thread where people would appreciate your comments more and no doubt agree with you. I guess I don't understand why you would deliberately put yourself in a position of being intensely disagreed with and your opinions disputed when you could be elsewhere where people support your ideas. Seems to me you're just asking for it by posting such dislike in a pro-Carter thread. And I guess my only other comment about your dislikes are (though I disagree with them completely) that Sam is human just like the rest of us and has flaws just like the rest of us. None of the characters are perfect, even if we'd like them to be. If they were, that would really be boring.
            Since when this is a pro-Carter thread???

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              I didn't mean her promotion wasn't believable, more AT's performance. She doesn't have much of a commanding presence IMO and she's never been very believable as a soldier either I don't think, much less one who's supposed to be giving Teal'c and Daniel orders.
              Ok, I get your point now. Personally I've really enjoyed AT's performance as a soldier and Air Force officer and I like her take on Carter's command-style, but as with so many things, to each their own.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                How come so many threads around here end up turning into 'Flynn hates Carter' threads?

She doesn't like her. I, and many others, do. Can we not just leave it at that? Why does the exact same conversation have to come up every few weeks? It always ends up hijacking the thread and we get it for pages on end, with the same thing said over and over again interspesed with little digs at Amanda's acting ability and b****y comments about the character.

And in regards to Amanda's acting ability, I thought it was OK to talk about what you think about characters, but not the actors? Perhaps what has been said here isn't too bad, but some of the comments I've been reading in the news articles should not be allowed IMO. It's utterly pathetic.

Either way, Flynn doesn't like Carter, and won't be changing her mind. Can we leave it at that and stop this? We've had more than enough reminding, we really won't be forgetting it any time soon.
                Oh, sorry did my comments come over as little digs at Amanda's acting ability? Let me re-phrase them...IMO Amanda Tapping is at best a mediocre actor, at worst she is appaling, and far too ofter on Stargate I have seen the worst of her. To say she is wooden would be an insult to wood, imo. I have seen much more interesting planks of pine covering a floor. As such and to stay on topic for this thread I do not want to see much, if any, of her in any future Stargate projects.

The above comments are of course just my opinions, I won't change my opinions and have never tried to change the opinions of others. Some think the sun shines out of her you know what and that's fine. I don't care what other people think, they are as entitled to their opinions as I am.

I can post comments on threads such as this saying that imo Carter should not play a large part in the movies and as far as I know I can pass comment on Amanda's abilty, or lack thereof, as I see it.
                sigpic

Comment

My husband used to throw things at the tv whenever Carter appeared but I had to stop him after he knocked a vase off the top.
                  You wouldn't be married to a guy who goes by the handle "Peter57," would you?

If you are, congratulations on getting your figure back so quickly after having your children.

If not, you should look him up. You two seem to have a lot in common.

Seriously, everyone likes some characters and hates others. I have trouble sitting through any episode with... well, let's just say First Contact was painful to watch at times and Lost Tribe should be no easier. Thank goodness for David Hewlett.

Still, I hope for your sake that Vala, Daniel, and all the characters you love are in the next SG-1 movie even though it means I will have to watch a character that irritates me more than words can say. Heck, I would be ecstatic if Brad Wright has Daniel, Jack, and Vala riding off into the sunset together if it would make you happy. As long as I get to see Sam, Cam, Teal'c, and Jack interacting in the movie too, I will be satisfied.

Hypothetically, wouldn't it be great if fans could demonstrate true generosity of spirit by trying to tolerate the characters that they know many of their fellow fans love? I know, it's a hopeless and rather idealistic dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                    You wouldn't be married to a guy who goes by the handle "Peter57," would you?

If you are, congratulations on getting your figure back so quickly after having your children.

If not, you should look him up. You two seem to have a lot in common.

Seriously, everyone likes some characters and hates others. I have trouble sitting through any episode with... well, let's just say First Contact was painful to watch at times and Lost Tribe should be no easier. Thank goodness for David Hewlett.

Still, I hope for your sake that Vala, Daniel, and all the characters you love are in the next SG-1 movie even though it means I will have to watch a character that irritates me more than words can say. Heck, I would be ecstatic if Brad Wright has Daniel, Jack, and Vala riding off into the sunset together if it would make you happy. As long as I get to see Sam, Cam, Teal'c, and Jack interacting in the movie too, I will be satisfied.

Hypothetically, wouldn't it be great if fans could demonstrate true generosity of spirit by trying to tolerate the characters that they know many of their fellow fans love? I know, it's a hopeless and rather idealistic dream.

No, who he? Seriously my husband started off likeing Carter but as the years went by and she devolved into the mess of the later seasons he grew to dread the sight of her.

And believe me I have tried to tolerate Carter, in fact I liked Carter in AOT and have said so many times. The trouble is there are only so many times you can tolerate a bad character or a bad piece of acting. I really don't see why those of us who don't like Carter and don't want her to ruin the shows/movies for us can't say so. As many times as we want without getting jumped on, or redded, or worse. This forum has a lot of threads where people post ad-nauseum about the wonder that is Carter/AT so fairs fair, don't you think?
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow I'm almost scared to give my opinion having read the previous comments but I figure I will put my two pence worth in then run away :-)

Personally I would prefer it if Carter wasn't in the Atlantis movie I wasn't a big fan of her on the show, but I freely admit this is most likely because I adored Weir. Same reason I am not a fan of Woolsey. So I'm holding onto my tiny thread of hope that Elizabeth will be back for the movie (don't worry I am aware somewhere in my brain that I am crazy).

As for the next SG-1 movie I'd like to see all of them Carter, Jackson, Mitchell, Vala and O'Neill - but if they do bring back RDA they really need to use him better this time round.

Personally I am nervously looking forward to the movies

Drex

Comment

Originally posted by drexim View Post
                        Wow I'm almost scared to give my opinion having read the previous comments but I figure I will put my two pence worth in then run away :-)

Personally I would prefer it if Carter wasn't in the Atlantis movie I wasn't a big fan of her on the show, but I freely admit this is most likely because I adored Weir. Same reason I am not a fan of Woolsey. So I'm holding onto my tiny thread of hope that Elizabeth will be back for the movie (don't worry I am aware somewhere in my brain that I am crazy).
                        Anais33 a ecrit: “1)Pensez vous que dans le film sur sga, il sera possible de voir des personne disparu dans la série comme Weir ou Ford?
                        2)Pour quand est prévu votre voyage en Chine?”

Responses: 1) Probablement pas. 2) En hiver.

Translation: It’s unlikely we’ll see Weir or Ford in the Atlantis movie. 2) I’m heading to China this winter.
                        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...s-and-mailbag/

As for the next SG-1 movie I'd like to see all of them Carter, Jackson, Mitchell, Vala and O'Neill - but if they do bring back RDA they really need to use him better this time round.

Personally I am nervously looking forward to the movies

Drex
                        GW: Will future SG-1 movies necessarily include the entire cast or might you choose to tell a story that doesn't involve everyone?

BW: That's a very good question. For me, an SG-1 movie should include O'Neill. That's how I feel about Stargate.

GW: You were spinning your third movie idea. What can you tell us?

BW: It's an O'Neill story, and I would include as many of our cast as we could, both financially and in terms of availability.
                        http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/..._the_ice.shtml
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

No, who he? Seriously my husband started off likeing Carter but as the years went by and she devolved into the mess of the later seasons he grew to dread the sight of her.

And believe me I have tried to tolerate Carter, in fact I liked Carter in AOT and have said so many times. The trouble is there are only so many times you can tolerate a bad character or a bad piece of acting. I really don't see why those of us who don't like Carter and don't want her to ruin the shows/movies for us can't say so. As many times as we want without getting jumped on, or redded, or worse. This forum has a lot of threads where people post ad-nauseum about the wonder that is Carter/AT so fairs fair, don't you think?
                          I wasn't saying you couldn't express your opinion and I certainly would never red you for it. I never have before and you've said things a lot worse than this.

I was merely presenting a hypothetical situation that I would ideally love to see one day.

I could go into every general thread and blather on and on about how much I hate another one of the characters and how I attribute much of that to the limited abilities of the actor and the poor acting choices he made. I could talk about how the character was the major factor that ruined Seasons 9 and 10 and the AoT for me. But I would rather not, if only to spare the feelings of the many fans that really, really like him and want to see him in the movies. Who am I to want to deny them the enjoyment of seeing their favorite character again? Just because I find him an irritating and useless character that gets on my nerves?

For example, a lot of fans jumped all over the Mitchell character when he was introduced in Season 9. Although I didn't hate the character, I was also very critical. But you know what? I found out that there were a lot of really nice people who loved the character. And every time someone posted a negative attack on the character and even BB's acting, I found that it really upset the Cam fans. I still have some problems with Cam as a character (although I adore him now), but I respect the fans of the character enough to not go on and on about it in the general threads.

To me, it's about showing respect to fellow fans (if not to the actors). If I do have criticism for a character or actor, I try to limit it to one of the many anti threads about and I try to present my criticism in a constructive way.

I would also never say that an established SG character should not be in the movies b/c of my own personal hatred of him/her. The show/movies do not revolve solely around my likes and dislikes and I want my fellow fans to enjoy the things they like about the franchise... as long as they afford me the same courtesy. But that's just my choice.

You're old enough to make your own choices about what you post and where you post it, flynn.

Comment

Regarding the first lil bit of news did you have to go and try to bring reality into my happy lil make believe world?

Reagarding O'Neill lol ok shows how much I have read about the next movie but thank you!!!!

Comment

Regarding the first lil bit of news did you have to go and try to bring reality into my happy lil make believe world?

Reagarding O'Neill lol ok shows how much I have read about the next movie but thank you!!!!

I like your make-believe world. It would completely rock if Weir came back for the SGA movie. My favorite part of Season 4 was the end of BAMSR. It would be the greatest twist if Weir unexpectedly showed up again. Too bad it doesn't look like it is in the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                                I like your make-believe world. It would completely rock if Weir came back for the SGA movie. My favorite part of Season 4 was the end of BAMSR. It would be the greatest twist if Weir unexpectedly showed up again. Too bad it doesn't look like it is in the cards.

Yay theres plenty of room in my make-believe world for more people! You're right it would make a great twist for the movie. But I guess that is what fanfic is for

Comment

Working...
                                X