Camelot (920)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockwave
    the Korelev (I think blew up) and Daniel and mitchell along with it?
    I highly doubt both Daniel and Mitchell are dead, as they are both scheduled to return next season.
    Μηνιν αειδε, θεα, Πηληιαδεω Αχιληος...

Comment

Long post ahead. I thought it might be a good change of pace what with 20+ some pages of mostly praises composed of a few lines for the last 10 minutes of a 43 minutes episode. The following sorta follows the episode.. with random bits added..

While I didn't think the beginning (or the first 3 quarters) of the show was slow, it felt more like a regular episode rather than a season finale to me. It didn't have that urgency or life or death situation like the other seasons.. it was more like another adventure/quest that SG-1 goes through during the year.

The hint that Merlin might be a wizard of darkness was tantalizing. Though he tried to do good.. there was a great mischief in his heart. What could that mean? There are still so much mystery surrounding him. The line 'he tried to do good' reminded me of Daniel. Though he tried to do what he felt was right, he was not always successful. The latest example being Ethon. Could the people of Camelot be attributing Merlin's failures (and what could THOSE be?) to his having a mischievous heart? I am, of course, stretching things a bit. Merlin could have had no failures at all and everything was made up so the people would fear him and leave him alone.

I liked Teal'c's response to Mitchell's overconfidence in defeating the Black Knight (only Teal'c could have pulled off that low growl thing). Circumstances WERE different and Mitchell needed to be told yet again later. That second reminder might exist solely for the viewer's benefit; to remind us this Knight *really* wasn't like the last one. Or they figure Mitchell NEEDED to be told again because of his overconfidence.

Anyone else noticed it was Sam who suggested that they split up and they did? Teal'c did back her on that decision, and Mitchell took that suggestion without a protest; it just happened. More signs that this is a co-leadership? I, for one, felt it was very naturally done, like they were on the same wave-length.. and because of scenes like these that gives me hope that a co-leadership might work.

Shallow moment! Be warned: Daniel, wet hair, no glasses.. *takes a moment..* anyway.. he was trying to gain knowledge by appealing to the other's sense of curiosity. So very Daniel. And on to the secret chambers we go.

Mitchell finding the secret passageway by fiddling with books on a shelf.. so very cliche.. but Stargate is ALL about never being afraid of cliches.. and in fact, they love to flaunt it.. so I was okay with that scene. What I was not okay with was Sam being in the background with the Ancient device, practically the same one she worked on in Reckoning, and nobody even acknowledge her familiarity with it. There was not even a 'hey, that looks like the interface on -that Jaffa planet that I can't remember right now-.' True, Daniel is the person most familiar with everything Ancient, but would it kill the writers to have him ask for Sam's opinion? Also true that it looked like Sam was just about to take a closer look at it when they cut to the next scene.. perhaps it was there in the original draft and they had to cut it for time.. but that just really bugged me. She IS the technology expert.. she and Daniel should have worked together on it instead of Mitchell and Daniel. I believe the whole purpose of Mitchell being there was to defeat the Black Knight.. but I, and I believe with others, would have preferred to see the girl defeat it instead. But then she wouldn't have had time to talk with the Asgard and get into the space suit to attempt to dial out of the supergate. So I guess it worked out... just bugged me a lot they never acknowledged her WORKING on the darn thing in Reckoning.

Now, reading my gripe, people might get the wrong impression that I don't like Mitchell. Not true. His character has great potential and I would like to see it developed.. and while he's not my favorite (that honor belongs to Daniel : D), there are some genuinely good moments from him.. just.. that scene bugged me.

The girl (don't remember her name) said Arthur will need knights for his next crusade when he comes back.. after the sword is pulled from the stone. Who started this myth? Is there really someone who will come forth now to lead this crusade? Is it against the Ori? HOW did whoever -Merlin?- started this legend knew he'd be needed now? How did he program the sword to be able to be pulled at this moment to summon Arthur back? Soooo very many questions...

You know, this episode really did play on all the character's particular strengths.
      Daniel: Research, reasoning with the people, solving puzzles
      Carter: science/technology behind the supergate and trying to stop it
      Teal'c: although not much happened with him here, he went out and seek out an alliance with a hostile force. Displaying courage and intelligence in impressing upon said force the urgency of the situation.
      Mitchell: Umm.. brawling. I'll need help with this one..

Now onto the battle.. er.. massacre.

Anyone else thought the screen on Sam's suit was a tad small for her big gloves?

I absolutely LOVED when Daniel used the Book of Origin against them. I was pleasantly surprised and very pleased to know Daniel actually studied their book, trying to LEARN about them..

And while I did enjoy the battle sequences (very edge of my seat stuff), the more powerful moments for me were seeing Sam, all by herself, so removed from the battle. She was so utterly alone.. she could only watch in -total- silence. It must have been gut wrenching horrifying and surreal. How much more alone could one get? And Vala, also alone, but with the enemy. Both women helpless with no one to turn to, with no way to help. Plus the music did an absolutely amazing job conveying the emotions of those scenes. I adored the ending.. focusing on those two women and their situation.

Of course, the situations of the men are equally dire, and I can not wait til the next season starts to find out what happens to all of them.

Some have voiced the fear that part of SG-1 might be killed off.. while that is highly improbable (the fans would revolt), could it still happen after the actors signed contracts for the next season? I'm not familiar with things like these..

Oh, and I also enjoyed the humor of this episode. I saw this thread asking if there was too much comedy in season 9.. and it being such a ridiculous idea I never reply to that thread. I think the amount of comedy has always been constant throughout the history of Stargate. The situation might be dire, but there were always a few lines or scenes that break the tension, no matter the circumstance. And there were also at least one 'fun' episode for each season. So, no, there's not 'too much' comedy. Well, that just went off on a tangent.

All right.. I think I covered the majority of the episode.. hopefully we'll be able to comment on other things beside the awesome space fight. And that wasn't sarcasm.. I loved the space fight.. but come on.. there were other aspects of the show to discuss too!

Oh, in regards to the GW poll. I voted Outstanding. Not because I thought this was THE best out of all of SG-1.. but the show really was outstanding. I vote outstanding to every episode I really like.. and I really like this. As to the numbers.. it might be rigged, but have people considered that this was the *finale* and many more people tune in than for regular episodes.. and I counted at LEAST 2 people who created an account specifically to COMMENT on the finale in this thread alone.. and they actually took time to do that.. think of how many others who casually stopped by after the show because it was good.. and saw the poll.. and took the 2 seconds to vote? I don't know. Like I said, it might be rigged.. someone might have liked it so much s/he voted 10k times, or it's all legitimate.

Okay, really, I'm done now..
      Last edited by nyxlily; 12 March 2006, 01:57 AM.

Comment

I wonder who Arthur is? Is he also an Ancient? How long ago did he leave to go on the crusade/quest?

Also, I agree with nyxlily. The music in those final scenes was marvellous. It really fit the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
          I don't think its bugged, I think that SG1's finale was really, really hyped up and it did deliver.

Look at this way. There's new starships being introduced, that of the Ori. There's a huge space battle where the good guys get PWN3D. There's a great sense of doom and "how the hell do we get out of this mess" feeling.

Now compare that to the idiocy portrayed by the SGA team as they got hooked-lined-and-sinkered by the Wraith. Plus 2 big Hives ships ganging up on the little Daedalus.... Tell, me which finale was more exciting to watch?
          Oh it is rigged--I have voted 10 times already. I liked SGA finale and hope the writers take the story on to the gross neglegence of Dr. Weir--that would make for an interesting episode or two.

Oh and yes it was way better than S9 SG finale.

Comment

Awesome review mr. nyxlily

I was really quite impressed with this episode. A lot of people *****ed about the first 3/4 but i really quite enjoyed it. Had the ushual SG1 investigation feel, and i really think Mitchell has a place in SG1 as the random hero now. Jack didn't seem as corageous as him and i think this is what defines mitchell/perhaps what the writers have tried to convey. The only thing i thought was that this part of the episode should have been at least reduced to half of it (by 5-10minutes). Also i get the feeling Daniel might travel back to the planet to get the weapon or whatever.

I liked how Teal'c got the LA to help them, but i thought that it was a bit inconsistent how easily he managed to take over the ships (actually it seemed to me more like the LA leader guy bought his story (pps - does anyone think their uniforms look so gay and cheezy) This ep in itself sort of brought my LA like up by a notch or two but they are still.. stupid.. hope writers have bigger purpose for them) Teal'c showing up and being like ("better late than never"... "indeed" was funny in the context of the situation.

It didn't occur to me that it was a 304 ship that got blown up (sorry ill hand my stargate liscence in) but this is crappy how they blew up the ship. I mean the
            Spoiler:
            Russians (curse you people who didn't use spoiler tags for next season stuff!)
            just got it and i really liked the potential that them having the ship gave the show. The special effects for the supergate were really nice (but it needs its own distinctive kawoosh sound ) It was also nice to see Chekov commanding the ship

Haha think of how demoralizing the Ori message was. A text message practically saying your going to die. Makes me wonder whos commandiering the Ori ships. I get the impression the asgard are going to be like. "Well we figured out how to circumvent the Ori shields from analysed data" (or in Kvasirs case: unlike your inferior analytical skills we have managed to figure out how to circumvent the shields) Just a bit of discontinuity.. i think the fact that they have to send the weapon to the Ori galaxy is weird. I was under the impression that the Ascended were omnipresent beings that could do literally anything (ie: move themself) And its kinda annoying how they made the whole holy grail thing more broad. Its like they are spoon feeding us.. and one would think that the prestigate already established of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelot">Camelot</a> would be a more suitable location for this uber weapon.

The vala and carter sort of scenes were quite nice. I forsee a super female scifi valacarter uber team. And why didnt the locals question the knight just dissappearing.

Overall i enjoyed the 'feel' of the episode (i believe SG1 is back to its original 'feel') and the whole 'galaxy unison' (with all their ships) thing was great (brought back that Threads kinda feeling).
            4/5!

Comment

Originally posted by tristan
              I wonder who Arthur is? Is he also an Ancient? How long ago did he leave to go on the crusade/quest?

Also, I agree with nyxlily. The music in those final scenes was marvellous. It really fit the scene.
              I thought the music made the last scenes so great. I mean it wouldnt have had the same feel to it if the music wasnt there

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
                Oh, and I also enjoyed the humor of this episode. I saw this thread asking if there was too much comedy in season 9.. and it being such a ridiculous idea I never reply to that thread. I think the amount of comedy has always been constant throughout the history of Stargate. The situation might be dire, but there were always a few lines or scenes that break the tension, no matter the circumstance. And there were also at least one 'fun' episode for each season. So, no, there's not 'too much' comedy. Well, that just went off on a tangent.
                What I really like about SG-1 is the humor. And I don't think that in season 9 SG-1 becomes a comedy show because there has always been a lot of comedy. But I think the quality of the humor has changed. IMHO it has less quality and doesn't come as natural as it has in previous seasons. I always had the impression that RDA did the funny stuff unprepared and spontaniously (is this a word? ). But Mitchell has to do it because it's in the script. But that's just my opinion.

I liked the episode but also for me it had the feeling of a regular episode and only the last 10 minutes or so like a finale. But I'm looking forward to season 10 now. And that's a good sign, isn't it`?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                  You know your opinion isn't the only one that matters, right?
                  Hummm what would be the point of your post? I dont recall anywhere in my post saying my opinion is the only one that matters.
                  It is what it is--my opinion.

I stand by it....................

Comment

why did the asgard only send one daniel jackson class ship? although a few o'neills probably wouldnt have made too much difference and when teal's was with the lucian alliance they had a massive fleet yet they only sent 3 hatak's

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150
                      why did the asgard only send one daniel jackson class ship? although a few o'neills probably wouldnt have made too much difference and when teal's was with the lucian alliance they had a massive fleet yet they only sent 3 hatak's
                      My guess is that they totally underestimated the strength of the Ori's ships.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone was able to see which Earth vessel was destroyed? I've seen a lot of people say it was the Korelev, but I couldn't be sure. According to Wikipedia it wasn't made clear, either.

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
                          Hummm what would be the point of your post? I dont recall anywhere in my post saying my opinion is the only one that matters.
                          It is what it is--my opinion.

I stand by it....................
                          You said it will end mid way through season 10- that sounds more like fact than opinion. Why do you think that?

Have the ratings dropped so massively that no one is watching anymore?
                          Do you work for SciFi and have insider info on the shows cancellation?
                          Do you hate the show and are just praying that it ends so you don't have to waste your time *****ing about it?
                          Maybe you're psychic and have seen the future?
                          Or maybe you just don't like the show and can't find the off button?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                            You said it will end mid way through season 10- that sounds more like fact than opinion. Why do you think that?

Have the ratings dropped so massively that no one is watching anymore?
                            Do you work for SciFi and have insider info on the shows cancellation?
                            Do you hate the show and are just praying that it ends so you don't have to waste your time *****ing about it?
                            Maybe you're psychic and have seen the future?
                            Or maybe you just don't like the show and can't find the off button?
                            Let me get this right--I say it will end mid season and that somehow means I think only my opinion counts? A bit of a stretch there.

Why do I think this? I am not sure there are enough BB and CB fans to keep it going IMO. The ratings are already going down. Am I hoping it ends? No--I am hoping it becomes Stargate once again or TPTB make it the new show they want without sidelining the original team.

I could go on but I wont as I have already made my opinions known.

Comment

Ok just watched it and I have to say I'm a bit disapointed for a season finale, I guess I was just expecting more (but loved the Ori ships and the spacegate). I have to say I do have mix feeling about the battle scene as I've seen better battle scene's through out season 2 of Atlantis. I'm sorry to say this but Allies kicked ass over Camelot.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
                                Let me get this right--I say it will end mid season and that somehow means I think only my opinion counts? A bit of a stretch there.

Why do I think this? I am not sure there are enough BB and CB fans to keep it going IMO. The ratings are already going down. Am I hoping it ends? No--I am hoping it becomes Stargate once again or TPTB make it the new show they want without sidelining the original team.

I could go on but I wont as I have already made my opinions known.
                                My apologies. See, here I was thinking that people watch programmes for reasons other than just having their favourite actor/actress in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X