No announcement yet.

Ethon (915)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, the second issue, that of the attack on Rand Protectorate's assets.

What the show tends not to state outright is the chain of command when it comes to the SGC, and its autonomy in making policy decisions for the U.S (ostensibly on behalf of Earth) with regards to other planets. In fact, the SGC is a front-line facility that, as evidenced on numerous occasions, has the capacity to make instant decisions regarding the U.S position to extra-terrestrial individuals and planets. Because the situations SGC encounters normally are time-sensitive, the SGC commander has the ability and autonomy to make rapid-response decisions of the kind that would normally be debated in military and political circles for months. It is later on that the commander's decisions are reviewed at all sorts of levels and on one occasion the President determined that the commander should be re-assigned.

Generals Hammond, O'Neill and Landry (and Dr Weir) have had an extraordinary responsibility implicit in their commands. They are the proxy for the entire U.S goverment, and by default, the planet. What is also not usually highlighted on the show but is implicit in countless episodes, is that authority extends to SGC personnel that are in the field, representing their planet. Also, there is a 2IC for the SGC - the leader of the SG-1 unit, whether that be Jack, Sam or Mitchell. Due to the rapid-response nature of their work, if for whatever reason the General is not present, we have seen time and again that SG-1 leader (or the most senior SG-1 member present) has the authority to make decisions, the most common been the opening of the iris (which in effect, is an order to lower the planet's defences).

As such, Mitchell had plenty of autonomy and authority to make decisions without Landry's presence. And let us not forget that the Rand government was officially a hostile nation - they had severed diplomatic ties and had declared allegiance to the Orii, with whom Earth is at war. They have seen evidence that those who pledge loyalty to the Orii are not merely in bed with the enemy, but are often called upon to carry out operations for the Orii (see the Sodan experience). Not to mention that the Orii had outfitted these followers with a powerful weapon and were already actively using it to subjugate another culture to Origin. As such, they were a hostile nation and Mitchell is well within his rights as de facto SGC commander to order aggressive operations against it.

However, even to satisfy the die-hard supporters of sovereignty in this case, they sent an extraordinary diplomatic mission, at the Rand government's invitation, in the form of Daniel to try some rather desparate attempts at convincing them to dismantle the weapon. And then, the Rand proceeded to detain without notification the diplomatic representative of Earth, never once dialling Earth to explain their actions. As such, the Tau'ri should have presumed that Rand was either hostile or at war, and were well within their rights to attack an unmanned drone asset.

Comment

Kuullllllllllllllll

Comment

I haven't read every post but I got to wondering when gang got captured by men who haven't see a woman for looong time, not soilders, so got away unstractched? Yet got beaten up.

Comment

i watched this epsiode again i still teared up

Spoiler:
          Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 12 May 2006, 03:10 PM.
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
            i watched this epsiode again i still teared up
            Spoiler:

Likewise dude, same with when the Korelev goes boom in Camelot.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

I rewatched this episode and I was still in awe hoe they destroyed the Prommie... Just aweful!

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                Likewise dude, same with when the
                Spoiler:
                Korelev
                goes boom in Camelot.
                Seeing the Prometheus explode was so very sad. But which DSC explodes in Camelot is considered a spoiler. Please adjust in your post.

Comment

When the Prometheus exploded, I
                  looked at the TV and found myself
                  thinking, "NOOOO!" What made it worse
                  was that a couple F-302s exploded...
                  or was it one? My favorite starships!

After that, I wanted that satellite
                  to blow up so badly.
                  sigpic

Comment

Very good episode...

But was that a microphone above Amanda's head?

p.s. Adminstrator did search this sight but found no matches, sorry if duplicate article...

Comment

An excellent episode but it was in Season 9 not 8

Comment

very depressing episode poor lionel

Comment

I did find this episode at all not very happy,I don't think I would watch it again,but it was very greatly done. ...especially with cameron playing some good ship flying moments.
                          A well respected member of:

http://www.theamandatappingclub.net/
                          Check out my newest made forum!

http://forum.hopto.org/board/index.php

Comment

I recently watched this episode on DVD. While I did have the major spoiler of the episode (Prometheus' demise) spoilt a few months ago, thankfully it only made me more eager to see this episode.

I was actually surprised at how emotional I got as the Prometheus got hammered. Then again, I usually get like that whenever the main ship in the show gets destroyed (the same went for the Defiant in "Star Trek Deep Space Nine" or the Babylon 5 station in the show of the same name). I'd like to especially mention how Joel Goldsmith's awesome score became somewhat sad/desperate as Pendergast began ordering the crew to abandon ship.

I'd like to also draw a parallel between the Prometheus' destruction and the aforementioned destruction of the Defiant in "DS9" (apologies to everyone who isn't a Star Trek fan!). Both times, the crew go into battle totally confident that it's going to be a piece of cake and routine, only to get totally hammered in the end. The only differences are that in DS9, the Captain didn't go down with the ship and they at least waited a few episodes before getting a replacement. As grateful as I was to see the introduction of the Odyssey in the next episode, I felt it somewhat cheapened the destruction of the Prometheus, as if to say, "Oh well, we lost the Prometheus but we've got another ship to replace it". Still, it was a nice little touch at the end that they had to get the Daedalus to go to Rand on it's way back from Atlantis.

Speaking of nice touches, I wasn't expecting that awesome shot of those crewmembers getting blown out the side of the ship. It's always nice when the show's makers go that extra mile to add to the excitement. I also picked-up on a little extra bit of shock and sadness from Mitchell, both when the Prometheus got destroyed and when he learned that Pendergast died. After all, Mitchell did used to be a crewmember and was obviously good friends with Pendergast, as seen in earlier episodes this season.

Another problem I had with this episode is the total absence of General Landry. I'm guessing that Beau Bridges was unavailable for this episode. But it did seem odd that SG-1 are both seemingly in charge of the SGC at the start of the episode and go on a mission all by themselves. Yeah, I know they probably contacted either Landry or General O'Neill beforehand, it just seemed a little odd to me. I kept expecting Landry to come back at the end and say, "Look what happens when I go away. You lose both the Prometheus AND get an entire civilisation wiped out!"

Anyway, overall I'd give the episode 4 out of 5.

BTW, I thought that was an interesting theory that was mentioned on the main Gateworld summary page for this episode. If both Rand and Caledonia were destroyed by the time the Daedalus arrived at the planet, does that mean that Colonel Caldwell was able to retrieve the Ori Weapon Satellite, which was presumably inactive in orbit? (If this is confirmed or denied in a future episode, please don't tell me. LOL!)
                            sigpic

Comment

Hehehe some spoilers I just can't contain myself into not reading.
                              A well respected member of:

http://www.theamandatappingclub.net/
                              Check out my newest made forum!

http://forum.hopto.org/board/index.php

Comment

The sequel to 'Icon' and I wasn't a big fan to be honest. It was sad to see my favourite ship beneath the Deadalus, The Promethius, get blown to buggery. But it was gonna happen one way or another - WHHHHHHY!!!!!!?
                                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                                X