No announcement yet.

Stronghold (914)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major D Davis writes: “1. Was the end of stronghold hard to direct cause it had some extremely realistic and intense combat scenes?
    . Having directed on all three Stargate shows, Which is your favorite to direct on?
    . Which set do you like most, the Atlantis set, the Stargate Command set, or the Destiny set?”

PDL: 1.) My memory of the end of Stronghold was that it was not harder than usual… it was fun actually. 2.) At present my favorite to direct is SGU because of the shooting style. I find it very liberating. 3.) The Destiny set is my favorite. It has many advantages including space, depth, texture, and many practical lights.
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...guest-blogger/
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
      I caught the end of this episode on Sci-Fi the other day and Teal'c's last line really struck me as interesting. When Mitchell asks how Teal'c withstood the brainwashing, Teal'c replies:

"To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important."

Obviously the line ties in with Mitchell's recent self-reflection, hence Mitchell's reply ("Yeah, I'm working on it"). And Mitchell has already admitted that he is impatient, tends to "lose control," and that he's afraid of screwing up "again." All of that goes a long way to supporting my impression that Mitchell is very aware of his own failings (which is one of many reasons that I like him).
      And yet there is no point where he acknowledges he screwed up by haring off to save Teal'c because he was "in a bad mood today" dealing with the guilt over his friend's condition.

Even though he wasn't in charge of the mission and was told not to go by the person in charge:
      CARTER: If we all go, we could be caught up with no way of getting back off the ship. (beat) You go, we got your back.

She opens the control panel, exposing the crystals within.

MITCHELL: Are you sure about that?

CARTER: (pointedly) Am I going to be able to stop you?

MITCHELL: I don't think so -- I'm in a bad mood today.

Note this is after he:
      - runs ahead (without back-up) and against orders
      - gets smacked around by a Jaffa yeah, that helps Teal'c because he didn't have said back-up
      -cannot get the rings to work not a shock as he's never seen then before

Yet Sam still lets him go onto a ship type he's never been on before so he can save a team member she's worked with for over 8 years. Sure. Whatever.

His friend tells him he needs to be a little out of control to do what he does. Er, not.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

This episode is awesome.

Comment

Very good
          BUT :
          Anyone else notice when bra'tac is flying around the supposedly active Stargate isn't active?
          WOOOOOOOOOOOPS !!!!!!!

Comment

There were wayyyyyy more whoops than that.

The writing for one...

Anyone ever tell Cam he's supposed to listen to (and *obey*) the mission leader? Having "a bad day" is no reason to flout orders. Worse, no one calls him on it!

Especially after acknowledging to someone that that has been a problem in the past. Way to learn a lesson! <<--- Yep, sarcasm.
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

With Season 10 all posted and my finals done, I'm re-watching Seasons 9-10 on Hulu. Not to much to say on this episode except that Mitchell was pretty stupid during the battle. Also, at the end regarding the bonding moment that wasn't....

I would have preferred when Teal'c talked about knowing oneself, that Mitchell would have brought up Teal'c doing kelno'reem, something like:

"I heard from Jackson that you do some meditation."

"Indeed, it is kelno'reem. While I do not require it since being free of my symbiote, I find it useful/enjoyable/soothing whatever word."

"I put some people at risk today when I went to rescue you because I was having a tough day. Kelno'reem.... You wanna teach me how to do that?"

There, bonding moment. Also help Mitchell overcoming impulse and impatience.

Comment

This episode was pretty boring for me. The good: Ba'al was back. The Bad: I've lost interest in Jaffa and their business. *yawns* The Ugly: The story was pretty far from the Stargate concept for me. Sure they tried to give us some depth with the situation of Cam's friend, but I didn't care much about it. After 20 minutes I was already hoping this episode would end.

Comment

Not on of my top 5 of the season. Kind of a sad episode.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                    And yet there is no point where he acknowledges he screwed up by haring off to save Teal'c because he was "in a bad mood today" dealing with the guilt over his friend's condition.

Even though he wasn't in charge of the mission and was told not to go by the person in charge:

Note this is after he:
                    - runs ahead (without back-up) and against orders
                    - gets smacked around by a Jaffa yeah, that helps Teal'c because he didn't have said back-up

Yet Sam still lets him go onto a ship type he's never been on before so he can save a team member she's worked with for over 8 years. Sure. Whatever.

His friend tells him he needs to be a little out of control to do what he does. Er, not.

suse
                    But Sam does order him to ring up to the ship - she says "You go, we got your back." The whole running off without backup was impulsive and stupid, but he does follow Sam's order here. Although I think her line is a mistake, she shouldn't have given that order, because it undermines all the work the writers are trying to do making him look impulsive and stupid. Would have been more convincing if he'd been able to ring up before Sam got there.

Originally posted by suse View Post
                    He has seen and used rings before - in Avalon, at least.

Comment

Cool episode, even if Cam went a bit off the rails here. I guess one reason why he got away with revealing secret information to his dying friend was that he really was beyond saving. The same thing applies to General Carter, it would have been impossible to save him without telling him about Sam's job. But that was a win-win, since it probably saved Sam and Jacob's relationship as well as Jacob's life, and Earth benefited by having a Tok'ra who was so involved with the US military and retained his contacts there. Getting shot by a zat gun was a good enough reason to let Pete know about the Stargate program, IMO.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tachyon View Post
                        This episode was pretty boring for me. The good: Ba'al was back. The Bad: I've lost interest in Jaffa and their business. *yawns* The Ugly: The story was pretty far from the Stargate concept for me. Sure they tried to give us some depth with the situation of Cam's friend, but I didn't care much about it. After 20 minutes I was already hoping this episode would end.
                        I so agree. When they start about the Jaffa, I want them to hurry up and get up back to the real action.
                        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                          "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                          "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                          "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                          "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                          >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                            Getting shot by a zat gun was a good enough reason to let Pete know about the Stargate program, IMO.
                            Wrong episode for this comment. However, Pete would not have been in the infirmary because of a zat blast. He must have been hit by flying debris from the exploding surveillance van. And I heartily disagree that he should be allowed to know about the Stargate program because of his stupidity in crashing a stakeout he had no business being at. He should have gotten in a massive amount of trouble because of it, in spite of dating Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                              Good episode. I give it a ***. Best visual effects of the Al'kesh ever in the series.

The music at the end of the ep, what episdoe did I hear it in?
                              I don't think it was a *** episode, maybe **1/2. At the end of Unnatural Selection.

Also, the Gliders during that battle were also kind of unique. I guess it was because they were lower to the ground (and more near people) that other episode. Or may it was the Visual Effects.

Tomorrow, *Tries to think of a non-spoiler description* a new Ori threat threatens the Prometheus.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                                Getting shot by a zat gun was a good enough reason to let Pete know about the Stargate program, IMO.
                                It wasn't that he was shot by a zat, he had another injury. It was that Pete saw Sarah's eyes glow, saw the hand device at work, was someplace he was not supposed to be.... He wasn't told because of guilt, it was damage control. And he wasn't told much, Sam couldn't talk about stuff with him.
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Working...
                                X