No announcement yet.

Endgame (810)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something occurred to me in thinking about the ep. I was initially unhappy at Jack's seeming indecisiveness, esp. as we've seen him make the tough decision before between a member of his team and the larger good. SE, Entity, as examples.

But I realized that there was another consideration: the gate was on board. If they blew up the ship, there was a chance that the gate might be damaged or destroyed, or sent hurtling toward the sun or something that rendered it inoperable. Earth would have been royally screwed had that occurred. He had to give Sam and Daniel every chance to get off the ship with the gate.

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by LMichelle
      I don't know what I expected, but this wasn't it. The whole ep seemed disjointed as if they were trying to cram too many storylines in it.

First, Jack wasn't in it enough and he didn't seem to be concerned about Sam being missing. What was up with that comment at the end?
      Why didn't we see an angry kicka$$ Jack do the interrogation. And too why didn't we see a groveling Jack talking to the Prez. - that might have been funny

Why was Daniel asking the questions at the beginning? He's not even military and an anthropologist to boot, why put him in charge of the investigation of the missing gate?
      See above - I thought Daniel was an archeologist!

Strange wardrobe choices. Sam wearing the top of a Catwoman costume. What happened to the regular black outfits when they're defying orders? (ie. Within the Serpent's Grasp) There also seemed to be some uniform confusion. Jack in blue. Daniel in green. Oh, and we almost got through one ep without Teal'c in sleeveless. Almost.

Could of been worse. Could of been a two-parter.

Lisa Michelle
      Could have been a cliff hanger. Should have ended before we knew what happened to Sam and company on the Al'kesk. And tell me why they didn't take the ship. It would have made O'Neill happy.
      sigpic
      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

I would like to add that maybe I was wrong at jumping at people or saying some of the stuff I have said. But I would like to say one more thing.

This episode of SG:1 was fantastic. I can't understand how anyone can put it down. Regardless of enemy structure or development. It still served.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
          Jack is the General and Carter's in charge of SG-1.

DJ
          I don't think either one has assumed their new position.
          sigpic
          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb

Loved how sam really can beat up a bloke with both hands tied behind her back
            Me too! And here Daniel was fighting with all his limbs, and Sam was able to to kick the crap out of her opponent with only her feet! Ha!

..but why does the only english guy we've seen who isn't a gou'ald have to be a whimpering idiotic sell-out?
            Well... I thought the guy was cute! And I mean the actor. He kinda reminded me of a cross between Dudley Moore and some singer I can't remember the name of.

Why did sam guide them away from that particular planet? and come to that, why didn't sam try the wrist device..the fact she has naquadah in her blood seems to be pretty much forgotten.
            Now that was something I noticed right away. When cute English scientist guy mentioned about naquadah being needed, I expect Sam to use it to her advantage. And then nothing was done. Wonder why?

actually, jack didn't come off too well..when the commander of the prometheus questioned his order, he should have asserted his authority, not stood there staring into the distance, practically begging the commander 'just give him a moment, ok'

I kept expecting Jack to say, 'give me a minute', so why didn't he? It almost seemed out of character for Jack to be having so much probs making this decision, but maybe this will be one of the factors if Jack decides to retire. Maybe not so much that he can't take it, but that he doesn't want to take it. But to be fair, I've seen Hammond hesitate too, and all that was needed was giving Sg1 a moment or two more. Which is what Jack did, and which was all that was needed to save the day, his friends, and the gate. But it all could have went horribly wrong, so... so maybe all of this was going through Jack's mind at the same time, and his final decision was just plain luck. I think I just debated this topic with myself, because I was all over the place.

[...] daniel's character has really grown, and i like it,
            I don't know how I feel about Daniel conducting the interrogation. He seems out of his element. It should have been Jack to me. It just felt odd, and even though Sam is military and has more experience in these things, I would have felt a bit hesitant on her doing it too. Maybe Davis doing it???

i forgot to add..really really good to see a stakeout and a raid that didn't involve pete interfering in some way!

Sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Walter is a tetriary character. As an "amusing" teaser, they might have him alone with another one time character, but for a main scene, someone in the main cast would have been there. He's helped broker treaties, he's been on the front lines of SG1 from the start. The only time he was just doing archeological tasks or tasks that related directly to archeology was the episode where Hammond was forced to retire, and the new military commander said the archeologist had to be tucked away somewhere. From the start Daniel's job has extended to more than just the narrow confines of archeology and linguistics. He obviously has some authority, or he wouldn't be addressed as "Sir" He has a title that would be appropriate for someone to use if they were just being polite. Dr. Jackson would have sufficed. You don't just call anyone "sir" And, is it any more farfetched than a civilian who didn't even know the Stargate existed not too long before being in charge of the whole operation? Weir had no authority prior to being appointed and she had less knowledge about what was going on than anyone there. And yet, she was in charge of the whole kit and caboodle.

Questioning his technique? Saying he didn't do the interrogation right? Yeah. Saying he can never assume any more responsibilities beyond archeology or linguistics or that which leads directly to said topics in 7 (give or take ascending) years, no, I don't get. I'd never expect Daniel to lead a military operation if Sam was there, in aound mind and able bodied. Or him to organize a group of Jaffa while Teal'c stood in the background. Because it would be ridiculous for him to do something when a main cast member (or important recurring cast member -like Janet- no surgery for Daniel, either. Performing, I mean) has already been established as being an expert in. But, new responsibilities? I have no problem believing that at some point he'd assume them.

He kinda reminded me of a cross between Dudley Moore
              That's it! I knew I hadn't actually seen him before, but he looked familar. It was because he reminded me of Dudley Moore.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Did anyone else think they heard part of the Attack of the Clones soundtrack in this episode?

I think it was when Teal'c and that other Jaffa were at the Alpha Site.

Anyone? Im not crazy am I?
                FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                  Maybe because Sam was aboard the ship, is the reaseon he didn't give the word.
                  Maybe he didn't want to loose the Stargate either.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
                    Apparently; it was send out last month on the the fifth Monday. <G> I said "appears" to be. And it does look that way to me. So, it makes me happy and I'm sticking to it.

Dana Jeanne
                    Oh, okay.

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                      Something occurred to me in thinking about the ep. I was initially unhappy at Jack's seeming indecisiveness, esp. as we've seen him make the tough decision before between a member of his team and the larger good. SE, Entity, as examples.

But I realized that there was another consideration: the gate was on board. If they blew up the ship, there was a chance that the gate might be damaged or destroyed, or sent hurtling toward the sun or something that rendered it inoperable. Earth would have been royally screwed had that occurred. He had to give Sam and Daniel every chance to get off the ship with the gate.
                      If they lost the gate can they get another gate and reprogram the point of origin on it? Haven't they moved the Alpha site gate a couple of times? Sorry, not remembering my geeky gate stuff very well.

If so I would think the Alpha site would contact the Asgard if they couldn't contact Earth for any length of time and the Asgard would come calling with the gate from the Alpha site. Or the Prometheus would be repaired to go pick up the Alpha site gate.

Losing the gate would be very bad, at least temporarily, and I'm sure Jack wanted to give Sam and Daniel every chance to save the day. The hesitation just felt more personal to me. As if he really couldn't pull the trigger. The tag scene - "tough choice" - also spoke to Jack's frame of mind and it seems like this might be leading somewhere. Or not.

Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Actually, as long as any gate was the pyramind/prayer to sun symbol on it, as long as it was on Earth, the gate would match all needed specifications to work for us, as the PoO.

So loosing a gate, and then placing another one, would be fine.

Thats what they did in Small Victories, they replaced the Giza/Praying to sun symbol gate with the Antarctica gate. Because the Antarctic gate had the Giza symbol, the SGC had the gate up and running next day.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                          Actually, as long as any gate was the pyramind/prayer to sun symbol on it, as long as it was on Earth, the gate would match all needed specifications to work for us, as the PoO.

So loosing a gate, and then placing another one, would be fine.
                          Thanks. I thought you could probably swipe a gate from an abandoned planet and use it on Earth but I wasn't totally positive.
                          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I was unimpressed with the episode, for the many reason listed above. Mainly I was just expecting more and didn't get it. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't mid-season finale worthy in my opinion.
                            It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

This one was...fine. Not overly good, and definitely not a cliffhanger.

What was good:
                              a. Sam kicking butt. I especially liked the bit where she kicked the two goons into uncomfortable sleepiness and then went, "Someone want to untie me?". Made a great point.
                              b. The chemical weapons. That was new for the show (aside from that bit in "Summit" and "Last Stand"). Good to see some new variables to spice things up. But just out of curiousity, wouldn't at least some of the rebel Jaffa have been on tretonin? And what about M'zel? Shouldn't he have died in the first attack?
                              c. The 'gate being stolen. Really cool, actually. I mean, you think of people swiping computers and so on and so forth, but a Stargate? Lovely!
                              d. Davis and the other Chevron Guy with the coffee gig. Brilliant setup, almost overdramatic but still funny.
                              e. Daniel and the coffee gag. ("No, I'm just kidding.")(or something to that general effect). Coming from the coffeeholic of the universe...

What wasn't so good:
                              a. Costumes, esp. Sam's black pleather top. I mean...come on. I can understand trying to appeal to the "male geeks ages 16-34 who can't get dates" audiance, but hello, there are others out here. (My apologies to those who fit in the above catagory I can't diss you too much; who else would fix my computer? Sorry, just kidding. I love ya, geeks.)
                              b. Jack. He just seemed...grumpy. Off. Weird. Quite frankly, in a lousy mood. And I didn't get the part at the end, when Daniel said that maybe he should have blown up the Trust's ship and Jack sort of muttered "tough" and walked off. Were we supposed to have inferred something there? Or did something end up on the cutting room floor?

Overall, a good ep, but not what'd I'd've chose for an end-of-midseason.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                                Other than translating for Jack in TLC, when's the last time they needed Daniel's archeological knowledge or for him to do any real translating? The storyline has moved past the need for an archaeologist/linguist on SG-1; they simply don't do much exploring anymore.
                                In New Order, Daniel translated the message coming from the Goa'uld that they were going to attack earth and stopped Ameratsu and Yu from going through the gate just in time. In Affinity, Daniel's unique knowledge of Ancient was a key part of the plot. (Okay, major screwup there on his part IMO, but that's for another discussion. ) He translated and spoke Russian in Lockdown, although that wasn't an important plot point. In Avatar...he got shot a lot. Okay, that has nothing to do with his linguistic skills, but it does seem to be a talent of his lately.

Still, I see what you're saying. There isn't as much archealogy and mythology as there was in earlier seasons, and I miss it. I love archealogistDaniel and linguistDaniel and civilianDaniel and I never want to see him get too military.

However, I don't see why Daniel's role as an archealogist precludes him from doing what he did in this episode. He's a very intelligent and competent guy, he can learn and grow. I'd hate to put him in one box and leave him there, it isn't fair to the character. He's been going on raids with SG-1 back since in the first season, and I think the reason his interrogating British guy didn't bother me is that they needed someone with comprehensive knowledge of the SGC and all of the aliens we've met up to this point. There are very few candidates. Jack obviously trusted Daniel enough for him to do this.

Dani raised a good point that Weir, a civilian with no knowledge whatsoever of the program was chosen to run the SGC, a military operation. Why couldn't Daniel, who's been with the program from the beginning, interrogate a prisoner? He's been part of lots of negotiations, is very verbal, can think on his feet, and knows as much about the SGC as anyone. Yes, others might have more experience, but it doesn't mean Daniel wouldn't do a good job.

I do think Walter and the other guy should probably have been questioned by someone military. That was played for laughs, though, and I think MS and the other actors did a good job there.

I guess Daniel's role in this episode is one of those things where it bothers some people and doesn't bother others, and that's cool. I definitely see where he's doing things that Jack would have done a few years ago, but I don't see the problem. Why can't Daniel have additional skills outside of his academic ones? He'd be dead for real by now if he hadn't learned to handle a gun. I wouldn't want to see Daniel become GI Joe, but I can take a little bit of ActionJackson as long as we don't completely lose the civilian and his unique perspective. We've seen enough of sensitiveDaniel this year to make me feel this isn't the case.

I think Sam's catsuit bothered me more than anything else in this episode. It was unnecessary and took me out of the flow of the episode because I was distracted by the outfit. The woman is gorgeous, she doesn't need clothing like that to look good. She looked fantastic in jackets and combat boots for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X