Endgame (810)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal

Now that was something I noticed right away. When cute English scientist guy mentioned about naquadah being needed, I expect Sam to use it to her advantage. And then nothing was done. Wonder why?
    The device also requires "specific goauld DNA".

Comment

One thing that I noticed in a few of the post I read was people mentioning Daniel in the role of military interrogator, that some something that I noticed as well and it got me thinking....has anyone else noticed that it seems that since Jack took over the SCG Daniel's position is also a little different?

____

I think all of thier positions are a little different.

Sam, Daniel and Teal'c seem to be more of executive staff than simple sgc members.

Sam seems to be a liasion between jack and scientists, same with daniel, except his scientists seem to be the ones more like him, the 'softer' sciences of archaeology, languages, etc.

teal'c.....well teal'c is with the jaffa, like always <G>. guess he's been busy setting up housekeeping
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pettygrew
        I could see Daniel making a report about the missing Stargate, but I felt it was out of place for him to be interrogating the British prisoner. <snip>. It would have been more appropriate for Jack to deal with the prisoner and not Daniel.

Something that's becoming more noticeable is the lack of military personnel at the SGC. I haven't seen multiple personnel since Zero Hour. It would appear the only personnel left on base is Walter, Siler, Jack, Daniel, Sam, and Teal'c.

yeah. I think that was what rubbed me wrong with that scene. It's one that we would have seen Sam done, but she wasn't there. I'm not up on military protocol, but it seems odd for a civilian to be taking the statement of two military folks. In fact, it probably should have been someone from JAG, or someone impartial...even jack. We've certainly seen hammond conducting such interviews in the past.

(and i should say, both scenes, interviewing walter and the other guy AND interrogating the weasel)

It's almost like:
        couldn't afford another extra to do it. daniel was already there, so he did it

jack couldn't work that day, so daniel got his scene

it was something tossed in there because the eps was short.

Daniel could have been there, certainly. But to be leading the interviews was a bit off. This is something that Major Davis could have done, or even that other colonel from SG-3

It just rang wrong and was as improper as back in Redemption, when jack was reading- and left- confidential personnel files in the commissary
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

From Jonisa:

It was unnecessary and took me out of the flow of the episode because I was distracted by the outfit. The woman is gorgeous, she doesn't need clothing like that to look good. She looked fantastic in jackets and combat boots for years.

Exactly. If Sam was going in disguise, it made for a bad one, because it made her stand out. But, i think the real reason was to sex her up, which is insulting. AT is attractive already without "help"

From zats:
          Jack sort of muttered "tough" and walked off.
          He said, "yeah, tough choice." Which I took to mean, "Like I regret saving my team." I also don't believe it was because of Sam being on the ship, not as a separate concern, but because both Sam and Daniel were there. I don't think he knew Teal'c was on board, or he'd be included in it, of course.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            I think all of thier positions are a little different.

Sam, Daniel and Teal'c seem to be more of executive staff than simple sgc members.

Sam seems to be a liasion between jack and scientists, same with daniel, except his scientists seem to be the ones more like him, the 'softer' sciences of archaeology, languages, etc.

teal'c.....well teal'c is with the jaffa, like always <G>. guess he's been busy setting up housekeeping
            I read an interview some time ago with one of the producers (no idea which one anymore), where he said that SG-1, because of their experience, will be more consultants or trouble-shooters than a regular SG team that goes through the gate. I think that has been very evident so far this season. They seem more like Jack's advisers than just another team.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that, it seems a natural evolution, although I do miss the exploration and hope to see at least a little more the rest of the season. But it is definitely a change.
            Last edited by Jonisa; 18 September 2004, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LMichelle
              ...Sam wearing the top of a Catwoman costume...
              I don't care what anyone's opinion is, but blatant exagerations in a sad attempt to prove a point are very, very bad LMichelle. A tight leather jacket has hardly 'the top of the Catwoman costume'. The top she had on in Chimera was more revealing...

BYE
              "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                But I realized that there was another consideration: the gate was on board. If they blew up the ship, there was a chance that the gate might be damaged or destroyed

J.

I still think the GREATER danger was in the Trust people getting away with the gate. Once they took their ship into hyperdrive, we'd never see it again, and what's worse, the BAD GUYS would have it. To me, the better bet was to try to damage the ship w/o destroying it (hopefully), which would at least give us a chance to recover the gate. (Remember, they couldn't necessarily count on Carter & Daniel... they should have proceeded on the assumption that Sam/Daniel might not be successful. Besides, a hit from the Prometheus might be all the 'break' Sam & Daniel need to get the best of their captors.)

Oh, and they should DEFINITELY have tried to take control of the whole ship!!

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but did they even know how many people were on board the Al'kesh?

BYE
                  "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Well, I loved it. Every minute of it. Chalk this one up to yet another great episode in what's developing into a terrific season.

I thought it was fast-paced, exciting and well done from all concerned.

Loved the teaser - it's been such a delight to see Walter out from behind the console this season and Gary does it so well, his comic timing is spot on. The coffee joke was funny, but what really had me LOLing was Daniel's 'Boy, I'd hate to be the guy who has to explain this to the President.' Oblivious for the moment to the fact that that was Jack. Jack's look in response was priceless, as was Daniel's flinching back when he caught it. ROTFL.

Loved the scene between Jack and Daniel over going to the ship. Daniel's winning argument being, "Yeah, who'd I learn that from?' just tickled me. And once again Silar comes in with the subtle, understated comic moment with his response to Daniel's "Any better ideas?"

I had no problem with most of the nitpicks mentioned by other posters. I didn't think it was out of place for Daniel to be taking a statement from Walter and the other technician. That just seemed to me to be all Jack and typical of his MO. Once he reports this officially to the President, Woolseys are going to be swarming all over the SGC - all of them with their own political and military agenda and they might not necessarily think they need to give Jack everything he needs to know. It doesn't strike me as odd then that Jack would get someone he trusts to give him all the facts to get statements first and let him get a heads up on where they stand. And who else would he trust with that but a member of his team?

Still got no explanation for Carter's choice of clothing. But it bugged me less than I thought it would prior to the episode. Before I saw it, it struck me as really odd. Watching the episode, I found I really didn't care too much - I was just caught up in the excitement of it all by that point and it was relegated to a very minor puzzlement. Also it wasn't as tight and shiny as it looked in the screencaps, which probably helped.

Shame the Tok'ra had to die - she was a great character and very well played I thought by the actress. I also enjoyed the Area 51 doctor. In fact, all of the guest characters this week were beautifully done.

Watching Jack's indecision at the end, I too was struck by the fact that it's not only SG1 he might lose, but the gate. Which surely had to be taken into account. Though I suspect unofficially it certainly wasn't what was foremost on Jack's mind, even if it was an official consideration. And I took his "Tough choice" comment at the end to be intended to be deeply ironic. IOW, it was no choice at all and there was never any question of which he'd take.

Unlike other posters, I didn't even get any great sense of 'Jack lack' this week. I missed him a little in the middle, but thought he was well-used for a change when he was on screen and he was in it enough to satisfy me. He had some great scenes - the one with Daniel mentioned above especially.

Nor did I see any problem with 'Rambo Daniel' as someone described him. The man has been a part of this program, faced danger and death countless times offworld, for eight years now. I'd be extraordinarily surprised if he hadn't picked up a few tips here and there by now. Like everyone and everything on Stargate he's evolved and grown through the years. He's learned, added to his skills, changed his pov in some respects, but he's still at the core the same person. That aspect of the show is something I really appreciate and enjoy. I'd hate for Daniel to have stagnated and not moved on from S1.

And, oh, I felt for him when he realised that losing the Stargate and everything else that had transpired had been achieved through his translation of the glyphs he handed over to the Trust. And how much more terrible for him is that going to be when he realises it also lead to the deaths of millions of Jaffa?

So...conclusion...a huge thumbsup from this viewer. Another favourite episode I'll watch more than once.

Albion
                    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Jonisa
                      I read an interview some time ago with one of the producers (no idea which one anymore), where he said that SG-1, because of their experience, will be more consultants or trouble-shooters than a regular SG team that goes through the gate. I think that has been very evident so far this season. They seem more like Jack's advisers than just another team.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that, it seems a natural evolution, although I do miss the exploration and hope to see at least a little more the rest of the season. But it is definitely a change.
                      SG-1 does seem to have become Jack's unofficial "kitchen cabinet". It just seems odd to see the characters in different roles at times.

Of course it's not the first time. I recall Teal'c interrogating the guy in "Smoke and Mirrors" but they were operating outside the "usual jurisdictional channels" at the time. Teal'c didn't even have to say anything and the guy caved - Jack should make him do all the interrogations!

It might have been a smoother transition if when Jack first took over the SGC he talked to the team and told them:

"Listen guys - I trust all of you more than anyone else on Earth. I'm new at this and I'm going to be relying on you to help me in ways you might not imagine. I know what you are all capable of so stay ready."

Then at least we'd have a set-up to view these changes as more of a natural evolution - rather than an evolution forced because RDA's not available to be in a scene.
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Hello.
                        Sorry but could anybody tell me, what Daniel said to Jack at the end in the Gateroom ?!
                        Because he said it so quickly I didn't get it.
                        I come from Germany so it's sometimes a little bit difficult to understand Michael Shanks.
                        Daniel: Why do you care?
                        Jack: Because, despite the fact that you've been a terrific pain in the ass for the last five years......I may have........might have.......grown to.....admire you......a little......I think.
                        ------

Slash it!

Comment

"In retrospect, perhaps it would have been better to have blown up the ship."

From memory, might be a bit of paraphrasing in there, but that was the gist of it.

Actually, having just gone back and rewatched the end, I think I have to change my opinion on what Jack meant by "Tough choice". I think he was somewhat sadly reflecting the fact that now that his rank and responsibilities have changed it's a harder choice than it used to be and he was letting them be aware of that. That things are more difficult for him now than perhaps they might appreciate. And letting them know too that perhaps he wouldn't always be able to choose them in the future. Perhaps he'd only just realised that himself during the moments in which he was being forced to choose. And, really, he never had to make the choice in the end - events took it out of his hands and fortunately it ended up without too many tears.

As someone noted earlier - rather poignant.

Albion
                          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Thanks. Now it all makes sense.
                            Daniel: Why do you care?
                            Jack: Because, despite the fact that you've been a terrific pain in the ass for the last five years......I may have........might have.......grown to.....admire you......a little......I think.
                            ------

Slash it!

Comment

My thoughts on Endgame........

I didn't think this was a good episode to leave us with before the 3 month break, I was expecting it to be quite action packed but it wasn't really

I admit it was a good episode and I found it very entertaining but it just wasn't right for a mid-season finale episode IMHO

Sam's leather suit thing didn't seem right to me at all, she's going on a mission and she is wearing civilian clothes? And would sam even wear a leather cat-suit thing off duty anyway??
                              This episode felt really Jack-Lite to me, I think TPTB have done a great job so far of keeping Jack in season 8 so much, This season I haven't missed Jack one bit apart from Endgame of course. and I do feel that Jack could of shown a bit more emotion when he found out Sam was missing, he only started showing that he was worried when both Sam and Daniel were on the ship. but RDA did a great job showing how worried Jack was and how difficult the choice was whether to blow up the alkesh or not. and the end was nice

We still haven't see Sam's engagement ring which is weird seeing as when you agree to marry someone you should be really happy and want to wear the ring all the time....

I liked Walter and the other technician in this and Daniel was fun too

I rate this episode about 6/10,enjoyable but not good for a mid-season finale. I haven't got the suspence now, so there is nothing that is keeping me desperately waiting for January...apart from 'Gemini' 'Threads and the Finale

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

We still haven't see Sam's engagement ring which is weird seeing as when you agree to marry someone you should be really happy and want to wear the ring all the time....
                                Not necessarily. My husband - a firefighter - has never worn his wedding ring at work for safety reasons. There's just too much risk of it being caught on something when he's at a callout.

I would imagine, given Carter's hectic SGC lifestyle that she may not wear her rings for similar safety reasons.

Albion

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X