No announcement yet.

Unnatural Selection (612)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes...and I think the fact that we're talking about that aspect of it endlessly shows what good writing that was. The situation was incredibly poignant.

Comment

What a great episode. Moral dilemas....and ice cream too
      sigpic

Comment

That was the saddest episode ever. The actor portrayed such sadness. It broke my heart and nearly brought me to tears. I still deny it was the right thing to do, and after watching it several times believe that there would have been another way.

Comment

You'd think that if the time dilation field could be reversed that the asgard would have done that instead to give themselves more time to come up with solutions instead of trying to slow down the replicators, which is much less likely to work.

Comment

I wrote this post for the S/J Ship Discussion thread, but thought I'd repost it here - minus all the S/J stuff, so this is pure gen

To get it out of my head I’d like to say now that before this rewatch I’d never noticed that Tahmon Penikett (Helo from BSG) plays Third! Wow.

I tend to see Unnatural Selection as a mirror reflection of WoO. WoO was a lighthearted comedic episode with a pretty dark, poignant scene at the end while US is a pretty dark, philosophical episode that starts in a light, humorous even, way. Both are team-y, but with distinct focus on Jack. Both even reference Charlie and deal with time machines.

US starts on a slightly disappointing note. Big cliffhanger from Prometheus is dealt with in a matter of seconds – quite anticlimactic really - while Thor lays out his plan how to defeat the Replicators. Points for TPTB for hanging lantern on how crazy it is and then in true Stargate fashion proceeding to implement it anyway. Another point for nice call back to Small Victories:

Thor: A task for which you are uniquely suited.
            O'Neill: You need someone dumb enough.

and yet another for delightful little scenes reminding us why we care about these characters so much: mention of Hammond’s grandchildren (call back to Crystal Skull; and how sweet is that they are no. 1 on his speed-dial?), Sam and Jack’s discussion about what would be a proper name for the ship, the ice cream scene.

I also find it interesting that a short scene establishing that Jonas had received military training – or at the very least “how to handle P-90” training - was included (we’ve never seen Daniel learning how to handle guns). Jack’s harsh attitude reminds me of how he was behaving in Proving Ground towards recruits. I like how Jonas doesn’t exactly snap at Jack, but isn’t afraid to let him know that he's being pushed too much.

Fast-forwarding a little to the first meeting with the Replicators in human form, I admit that I like this development, but only on SG-1. I love Fifth/RepliCarter storylines in season 8 and I love how menacing human form replicators are in this episode but I believe that bringing them over to SGA was a mistake. Oh well. Continuing random thoughts, I also find it a little weird that the Replicators created themselves into Reece’s image and yet none of them is dark-skinned.

That first meeting is also the only moment of the ep that doesn’t quite work for me. I just don’t buy that our notoriously suspicious and secretive Jack would spill his guts and unasked divulge mission objective to unknown life forms that weren’t detected by any sensors and show up in one place they shouldn’t be able to live. Sam, Teal’c and Jonas wouldn’t do it either, that was always Daniel’s "job" and this is the one moment in the entire season when I think he was evidently needed. Fortunately it’s just a brief moment and the shooting without any warning that ensues is completely IC. I love how Jack is the first to stop and lower his weapon when he realizes that bullets have no effect. For some strange reason his surrender reminds me of him lowering his weapon first as a show of good faith in Cor’Ai (s1). And then First puts his hand into his head.

This is my biggest complaint about US. It should have been a 2 parter – or a 3-parter, if we include Prometheus. I can’t believe the writers missed out on such opportunity! First says he and Jack are to visit every place Jack’s ever been and then..nothing happens. We don’t get to see anything. I still remember my profound disappointment the first time I watched US. I’m still disappointed, all those years later. Jack and Jonas desperately needed some background (we don’t even know if they had families FCOL) and who’d have turned down the chance to learn something new about Sam and Teal’c? BW came up with a perfect way to delve into SG-1’s past before the program without any need to change or characterize actors and he did *nothing*. I’m a huge supporter of BW and his writing but this is probably the biggest mistake he’s ever done.

I don’t usually talk about visuals but in this case I think it’s necessary. I’m impressed by how the tone is set by colours. During the lighthearted part of the episode set on the ship colours, while darkish (it’s a ship after all), are clear and intense. Once on the planet they become dull and darker and darker. But the true masterpiece is presenting Jack’s subconsciousness as a dark, abandoned Gateroom with a surreal blue tinge. I know some fans complained that it was a rip-off of Meridian but I don’ think so. SGC is just as important to Jack as it is to Daniel, maybe even more so. And Daniel’s Gate room wasn’t as dark. Lights were dimmed, but they were there. In Jack’s version there are none. I think it conveys superbly how both men see themselves. Daniel believed his life was a failure but he didn’t doubt that he was a good man. Jack believes that his life has a purpose and he does right things, but that he isn’t a good enough person, as josiane said in her awesome review of Abyss. I imagine that his torture at Baal’s hands, the fact that Baal finally broke him, solidified this conviction.

Finally, some more random thoughts:

Sam and Teal’c claimed they didn’t remember anything from sharing their minds with the Replicators; Jonas said it was like a nightmare and Jack didn’t say anything. Is it possible that he and Jonas remembered what happened? And if so, why? Could it be because they were both more advanced human beings?

Sam is incredibly convincing when she wants/needs to be.

The last scene. Sam and Jonas clearly disagreed with Jack; interestingly Jonas even called him “sir” instead of his usual “Colonel” as if trying to distance himself. T’s silence was ambiguous but I think he was on Jack’s side. As the most experienced warrior of all of them he knew the risk as well as Jack did.

All in all, I believe that it’s one of the best and at the same time most underrated episodes Stargate’s ever done.
            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
            sigpic
            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

i think it's an awesome episode but i never really agreed with the whole HFR thing. they're TOO powerful.

IMO stargate SG1 was always that enemy that you could beat, but more would step in. and it was sheer numbers and earth's lack of resources which made the enemy so strong. Goauld were beatable but every time they beat one, they got stronger. the Replicators don't get stronger from our bullets, but there are simply so many. i always love the "replicator storming" scenes. although it might seem tactically stupid, it's very effective as they only do it when even more are elsewhere, replicating.

i hadn't noticed Helo. that makes 3 Cylons.

Number One(as a Langaran), Eight(SGC recruit) and a member of the Final Five(as a replicator)
              Last edited by thekillman; 22 August 2010, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Helo wasn't a cylon, you're probably getting him mixed up with Aaron Douglas (Chief Tyrol on BSG), who played Moac in Maternal Instinct and a Jaffa in Redemption pt. 2.

Loved it when O'Neill wanted to call the ship Enterprise, particularly since an episode in TNG is also called Unnatural Selection.

Loved this ep, very dramatic. I liked Fifth.
                sigpic

Comment

I was rewatching this episode right after Prometheus (611) and one thing bothered me... what happened to the reporter / other people? when Thor came, there was no word of them at all... or did I miss something?

That aside, I loved this episode.

Comment

Oh nevermind, Thor said he beamed them down to earth while he was "restocking" the ship

Comment

Originally posted by Liv View Post
                      I just have to point out that that look on Teal'c:s face when Jack tries to eat from his food canister (is it ice-cream?) is about the funniest thing ever. I could not stop laughing. It�s a good thing I wasn�t eating anything at that particular moment cause I might have choked on it. Priceless.
                      that is one of the funniest teal'c scenes. love it

Comment

Originally posted by Liv View Post
                        I just have to point out that that look on Teal'c:s face when Jack tries to eat from his food canister (is it ice-cream?) is about the funniest thing ever. I could not stop laughing. It�s a good thing I wasn�t eating anything at that particular moment cause I might have choked on it. Priceless.
                        Teal'c has a very sophisticated sense of humour lol.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy1974 View Post
                          I saw this episode the other night and it seemed like O'Neill was really hesitant to help Thor. Why was that? My first thought was the ship SG-1 was in was not fully finished and any damage could probably be fatal, my second thought was that maybe he was not sure how to help Thor and the Asgard and needed more time to think about it.
                          Another reason for Jack's hesitation could just be that thus far the Asgard have done all the asking for help, and not yet repaying the debt to humans/Tau'ri. Each time Jack has suggested they could help earth with one of earth's problems, Thor has managed to weasel his way out of helping. Even though the Asgard are the ones that brought the replicator threat to earth in the first place. He even called it a small victory in "Small Victories" for the Asgard. But it was something huge for SG1 and he pretty much downplayed the effort they put into helping the Asgard.

And, then, because of SG1's help with First through Fifth and the time dilation problem, he has once again brought earth to the attention of the replicators by having SG1 come to the rescue of the Asgard.

Comment

i just finished with this ep on netflix. goood ep!!

loved the atmosphere of the episode. creepy, and very nice to see a real alien landscape. i wish the series would have done more of that.

poor fifth , but i think jack made the right decision. (just think about how fifth acted when he caught up with sam a couple of years later. )
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

The only reason 5th acted that way was cause he was betrayed.

Comment

Personally I don't see why the story had to leave a question mark about what O'Neil did to Fifth.
                                He was 100% correct, and I cannot understand what Jonas and even Sam thought the alternative would have been had they not lied to Fifth. Let those filthy creatures freeze for thousands of years, who cares?!!

Comment

Working...
                                X