No announcement yet.

Abyss (606)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put a VHS into my Halls of Res machine...

1. Thing with this ep is that there was so much hype over it that I really wasn't sure what to feel about it, as it was, first time around it felt like bringing back Daniel for the sake of bringing back Daniel and so certainly wasn't a favourite of mine so rewatching it was certainly going to be interesting.

2. Having said that Ba'al was always one of the better parts of this ep, he wasn't a guy I'd expected to see again so was certainly impressive.

3. The Jack-Daniel interactions work better this time around, this is probably the most vulnerable we've seen Jack, that he doesn't like himself too much.

4. Actually it reminds me of a comment someone made somewhat later about the ep, how come Daniel hadn't worked out that Jack wasn't as good as he thought he was/didn't think much of himself.

5. Still, very fine line Daniel walked here.

In short, better than I remembered!
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I thought this a clever episode - especially the varying gravities. Jack's descent into the madness brought on by the constant torture was well- wrought. Baal is a delightfully evil bad guy.
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

This was a great episode. In the top 5 of Season 6.

I still love that exchange about Ba'al/Ball from Jack. That was absolutely hilarious.

I was clad to see Daniel back.

Tomorrow, Dean Stockwell, as Jonas returns home temporarily.
        sigpic

Comment

Up there in my list of top episodes!

The scenes between Jack and Daniel have to be some of the best moments in Stargate. Jack is really put on the spot as far as his character goes, he just doesn't want to be acknowledged as the selfless hero he is and being told he could ascend as well!

Ba'al is a superb creepy villian, wonderfully played by Cliff Simon, he became one of my favourite recurring characters. Of course he's one of the nicest people to meet in person, it was so funny to have him join in a Stargate quiz and get the question of which System Lord made Jack's life hell!

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
            I thought this a clever episode - especially the varying gravities. Jack's descent into the madness brought on by the constant torture was well- wrought. Baal is a delightfully evil bad guy.
            Agreed, I love the gravity stuff too, and Ba'al is a great bad guy.

My LiveJournal post
            "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
            "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
            "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
            "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
            >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I love this episode just because of the gravity room Ba'al built for his base. For some reason I like how the gravity of Jack's cell changes. The torture of Jack is fun but it seems a little drawn out at times. I'm talking more of the Daniel and Jack interactions more then anything. Ba'al's torturing of Jack was done in sufficent time. I especially like Ba'al has a more calm and cynical form of torture then the brutality we have seen in past System Lords. It was obvious Jack would not be able to ascend. The arguing between the two and Daniel's constant pleaing with Jack really got old. I really like how the rest of SG-1 were able to solve the location of Jack and it was interesting how Jack's capture was how his values changed the symbiote's mind.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

This is a great episode. Ba'al is my favorite Go'uld System Lord, and shame on Colonel O'neill for not respecting Ba'al. Lol!
                Jack and Daniel are so funny. I was so glad when the other members of SG-1 finally figured out the location of Ba'al's base, and the Colonel lived through that aweful ordeal.
                "I choose freedom." Teal'c Threshold
                "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Comment

I also really enjoy the episode. First real glimpse at Ba'al, who was my favourite goa'uld, I wish we got more time seeing his base. I think RDA's performance in this was amazing. He did a fantastic job, and we got to see a side of him we normally don't see - it's rare to see him look defeated.

First time around seeing Daniel was a surprise. Although I wanted him to use his ancienty powers to save O'Neill. All in all a good episode.
                  Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Now this ep is a lot better than the last. Ba'al is always great to see. His torturing of Jack was fun to watch.

Daniel returns for an ep which is great. And the Tokra are as annoying as ever.
                    sigpic

Comment

The one thing I really didn't like about this episode, was the torture part. I liked what possibilities that gave to the storytelling, so it's not that I wish it hadn't happened, but I just hate torture scenes... I don't know if it made it better or worse that the guy doing the torturing was so darn good looking!

Still, I did like this episode a lot, mainly for two reasons. All that Jack and Daniel interaction. Not only because I miss it in season 6, but seems like the situation and both their situations, Daniel's ascension and Jack's desperation, brings a new level to it. Another thing that was makes this episode so special is that we get to see Jack so vulnerable. It's very rare thing to see, and I just enjoy the chance...

Many people seem to be mad at Daniel for "not helping" Jack.. I disagree.. He did help him the best way possible. He gave the rest of SG-1 a hint where to find Jack. Had he just busted Jack out (and naturally we all wish he could have done it) but IMO he didn't do wrong by not doing it and by cancelling his own ascension. He would have spoiled the chance to ever help again. This way he would be able to do something in the future also if needed. And he did help.

Also offering Jack the chance to ascend was offer of a true friend. He wanted to save Jack and he offered to help in a way he saw possible. Of course and understandably it wasn't what Jack wanted.. I do wonder though who would have been right... Daniel in his belief that Jack could do it, or Jack in his belief that couldn't do it... Of course we can remember that Daniel himself didn't originally believe that he was good enough for ascension, he needed some convincing that he was worth it. I kind of believe that the same could be the case with Jack... But of course, we can't know...

It's interesting that even though the Tok'ra apparently hijacked Jack's body and acted alone in his decision to go to Ba'al's planet, his motivation for doing it came for Jack. But the rest of the Tok'ra reacted very badly, they should have admitted Kanaan's mistake in order to preserve the alliance with the Tau'ri. Trying to put the blame on Jack to save face did more harm in the end. I did always wonder though, why didn't anyone from SG-1 originally accompany Jack, when he went with the Tok'ra. I would have expected someone to go with him...

Comment

Definitely my favourite episode so far! The scenes between Jack and Daniel are so wonderfully done. The design of Jack's cell and the special effects with it are cool. The torture scenes are unique and not too overdone. And I just love the atmosphere of the episode. Both beautiful and moving. Really well done.

Comment

Nice surprise. Jack has apparently no memory of being a Tok'ra, and Daniel appears. Good episode

Comment

General Hammond's underlings...

Not a fan of this episode, mainly cause I have the incredible urge to slap Daniel senseless for thinking that Jack would jump at the chance to ascend with him. Looks like the whole ascension thing has gone to his head already.

Aside from that I think Ba'al is actually a really cool Goa'uld, and his gravity-stuff is just wicked.

Two continuity errors spotted:

1) When the sarcophagus opens the very first time Jack's shirt is whole and unscathed. However, next shot we turn back to Jack there's a whole in the fabric near his shoulder where the first dagger Ba'al sends flying will penetrate it. But that hasn't happened yet. Someone wasn't paying attention during editing.

2) The second time he's moved to the cell, one of the big sidepanels turning to show which way is down doesn't turn completely back to its fully in line with the line in the wall. It's off by maybe 10 to 15 cm. However, when the camera shot is from above, the point of the sidepanel is in line with the wall again.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Two continuity errors spotted
                              Good eye. (and tough crowd!)

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                General Hammond's underlings...

Not a fan of this episode, mainly cause I have the incredible urge to slap Daniel senseless for thinking that Jack would jump at the chance to ascend with him. Looks like the whole ascension thing has gone to his head already.
                                \.
                                Well if given the chance i know i would like to ascend.

Comment

Working...
                                X