Abyss (606)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    Well if given the chance i know i would like to ascend.
    Depending on the situation, but I doubt it.

It's like becoming immortal. Sure, you live on forever but everyone you know will die and there's nothing you can do to stop that.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Depending on the situation, but I doubt it.

It's like becoming immortal. Sure, you live on forever but everyone you know will die and there's nothing you can do to stop that.
      And you already know everything there is to know because you're this greater being now, so what is there left to do? You're not allowed to interfere with the lower planes and/or to visit your old friends, instead you're stuck with a bunch of know-it-alls who will still treat you as if you are a child (because they've been doing this a lot longer than you) even though you know just as much as they do.

I'm also not sure if they can actually eat and enjoy it, although there was the whole Threads scene but being a blob of energy kind of removes the need to eat, I think. So, there's no joy left there either. They don't have sex although Orlin from Ascension did have this mind-sex thing, but I don't know how pleasurable that really is (because what's left to share if you both already know everything?)...
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Damn, you make it sound so boring...

Comment

We know that once ascended you CAN retake human form..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            We know that once ascended you CAN retake human form..
            But what would have been the point of ascension in the first place. It's not like you can retain the knowledge gained.

Comment

But what would have been the point of ascension in the first place. It's not like you can retain the knowledge gained.
              Well, one point is to escape Ba'al's torture. There's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                Yes, but is that reason enough... O'Neill didn't think so.

Comment

Well, at the time he didn't know he could just descend again and Daniel didn't mention it either (no doubt because TPTB hadn't thought of it yet).
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

O'Neill didn't think it was reason enough, but I sure would. So would many others. Ascension in that circumstance wasn't pointless. Jack didn't think it was pointy enough to do it, but that didn't make it without point. (So many sharp readers in this thread!)

Comment

I don't think Jack thought once about whether to ascend, because he truly and deeply believed he could not ascend. Whether it was pointed or pointless did not enter into his thoughts.

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                        I don't think Jack thought once about whether to ascend, because he truly and deeply believed he could not ascend. Whether it was pointed or pointless did not enter into his thoughts.
                        Yes, I think you nailed it.

Comment

And if that was not reason enough i don't know what would have been.

Comment

Put two guys in an empty cell, give them no props at all, put everything else into the writing and have a director as Martin Wood take care of it. Then that whole thing can turn out to finally demonstrate, that you have brilliant actors, writers and directors working for the show.

With RDA cutting on onscreen-time and MS having left, the producers
                            must have realised that they are going to loose the show, if they do not pull off something really out of the ordinary and have those two characters back for doing so. Wise move, I think.

Everything fits together. The dialogues are brilliant and performed convincingly, camera angels are always at their best, the torturing is bearable to watch and not overdone, while the audience gets the whole idea of how horrible it must be by RDA's performance and interaction with MS afterwards in the cell.
                            Such a good choice to let Martin Wood direct this ep. instead of e.g. Peter DeLuise.
                            Last edited by enibas5; 26 July 2015, 02:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by enibas5 View Post
                              Such a good choice to let Martin Wood direct this ep. instead of e.g. Peter DeLuise.
                              Oh, I don't know. PDL did Tangent, which is also a marvelous stick-two-men-in-a-small-space and let them talk episode.

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                                Oh, I don't know. PDL did Tangent, which is also a marvelous stick-two-men-in-a-small-space and let them talk episode.

Seaboe
                                Also Lifeboat
                                rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Working...
                                X