2010 (416)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
    Why did Janet luck out and not have to risk her life, and travel off to Chulak?
    Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Good question.
    Janet went to Chulak to a) tell Teal'c it was time and 2) give him the coordinates he needed to dial to cause the time inversion (a is implicit and may not have been in the minds of TPTB; 2 is explicit in the script).

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Then what happens to her when everybody gets killed before their timeline poofs out of existence??

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      Janet went to Chulak to a) tell Teal'c it was time and 2) give him the coordinates he needed to dial to cause the time inversion (a is implicit and may not have been in the minds of TPTB; 2 is explicit in the script).

Seaboe

Comment

Why did Janet luck out and not have to risk her life, and travel off to Chulak? In any case, in that reality her trip could have been traced, and she could have been found.
        Adding on to what Hedwig and Seaboe said. Most likely because SG-1 has far more tactical and operative skills to do a mission like this. Another possibility, speculation in my part, but knowing Teal'c he could have asked Janet to stay behind so she wouldn't be killed.

Then what happens to her when everybody gets killed before their timeline poofs out of existence??
        The timeline poofs out of existence, therefore everyone in that timeline poofs out of existence.
        Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but what was the transporter device outside the Stargate Airport, where people stood there and were transported elsewhere? Was that an Asgard technology, and was it used by the public like an ATM?

Comment

In the case of Continuum the question arose how Mitchelll obtained a photo in his locker of himself with his grandfather at the age the grandfather was back in 1939. If that alternative timeline poofed out of existence the moment Baal was killed, then where did the photo come from?

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
            The whole issue about time travel is iffy, although you do make some good points. The thing with 2010 is that the whole future is rewritten into the unknown so that timeline has become an alternate one, while the present one remains the same, its was just steered down a different path.

In 1969 the present SG1 risked changing their timeline, which was why they had to try not to change anything, otherwise they could cease to exist when they returned, or would blink out completely - like with what we see in Continuum when Vala and Teal'c disappear. When Cameron went back in time to fix what Ba'al did, he changed things - I remember reading/hearing that by doing this something is changed in the present timeline - we just don't know what.

Time travel makes my head spin, because of what happens just by going back in time, and how the smallest of choices change the future. So technically the continuous loop of time travel might not happen if certain choices are made.

Comment

Janurary 2001: SG1 had taken a brief break for Xmas but this was an ep I'd been looking forward to. Slight problem, I misread the Starguide schedule and thought it was to air 1st March...slight problem, it was 3rd Janurary. Eventually I track down someone who sent over a VHS in return for I think it was a £5 cheque. And then...

1. Aschen, interesting idea for a bad guy.

2. Jack's bitterness I definately get.

3. "And we're walking". Another phrase I've picked up.

4. OK...how come the piece of paper appeared in the 2000 SGC rather than the 2000 DC?

5. Watching it this side of 2010...they had Ashchen augmented tech in that reality so obviously it's going to look very different to this one.

6. That run at the Gate...another one I can watch over and over...

7. My thinking on how the timetravel of this played out is basically that everyone in that 2010 just suddenly found themselves wherever they were at that point in 2000 with no memories of the following ten years.

Very good ep.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but what was the transporter device outside the Stargate Airport, where people stood there and were transported elsewhere? Was that an Asgard technology
                No, it was Aschen technology.

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                4. OK...how come the piece of paper appeared in the 2000 SGC rather than the 2000 DC?
                I thought that was an easy question to answer, but you're right--2010 contradicts 1969. In 2010, what entered the gate in 2010 came out where the gate was in 2000. In 1969, what entered the gate in 1999 came out where the gate was in 1999, not where the gate was in 1969. But at the end of the episode, what enters the gate in 1969 comes out where the gate was in 1999. So the first must've been dramatic license on the part of TPTB (not to mention there wouldn't've been the same story if they'd appeared in a warehouse in Washington in 1969).

Seaboe
                Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 19 November 2011, 04:25 PM.
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

In this very good episode, what do I like best? The tour guide! "And we're walking..."

Comment

A pretty fun ep. What interests me the most is seeing how the earth advances in 2010 (With the help of the Aschen) compared to how it advances on its own. I believe space ships are much better then the teleporting things.

Those beams at the end didn't work very well. Take far too long to kill someone.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                      Those beams at the end didn't work very well. Take far too long to kill someone.
                      That's what i thought too, but it makes sense for the Aschen to develop a bad weapon. They don't like weapons and really, that suits their entire mind set. They are very patient and prefer to use weaponless means to get what they want.

I also thought they would develop a weapon to deter people, rather than kill them outright. SG-1 is made of sterner stuff however.

Besides, it's the only way to get the story to work.

Oh, and I love that Walter is named after Radar from M*A*S*H.
                      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Good time travel episode. So gate guy has a name now, Walter.

And SG-1 actually dies, but then the reset button was pushed.

Stuff from the commentary:
                        • This was shot by cutting a hole in the wall. And was first complete in-house VE & Matte Painting shot.
                          Spoiler:
                        • When we first see Jack in the episode, he wearing Andy Mikita's shirt.
                        • Amanda had to ADR her lines during that scene because it was before the episode was shot (and a script not done). It's because how she pronounces "Aschen."
                        • That reference to the Grey Cup (Canadian Football) was an ad-lib by RDA.
                        • The behind the couch part of Jack getting ready, was suggested by Will Waring.
                        • The Jack zip line scene (see picture) was done without a stuntman (aka Dan Shea). Andy said there was a line of people wanting to try it.
                          Spoiler:
                        • Carter tossing the paper in the gate was shot at 120fps

Tomorrow, Abydos & Kasuf (making final appearance in the series). And the Harcesis child arc might end.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                          The Jack zip line scene was done without a stuntman
                          He doesn't need a stuntman, he used to be MacGyver!!

My LiveJournal post
                          "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                          "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                          "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                          "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                          >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                            He doesn't need a stuntman, he used to be MacGyver!!
                            You mean he's not anymore? I'm shocked!

Seaboe

Comment

I saw a couple of episodes of Macgyver online, and RDA is quite a combination there of James Bond, Col. O'neill, Mission Impossible and a few others. And now he's practically gone into retirement......!!

Comment

I saw a couple of episodes of Macgyver online, and RDA is quite a combination there of James Bond, Col. O'neill, Mission Impossible and a few others. And now he's practically gone into retirement......!!
                                MacGyver ran originally from 1986-1992. It's been off the air for very nearly 20 years, yet people who may not have been born when it was airing know what it was. I think that's amazing.

I also think it's highly unlikely that Mac and Jack would get along. They have very different principals in some areas (though similar in others).

Seaboe

Comment

Working...
                                X