2010 (416)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    I don't think he figured it out until she told him. YMMV, obviously.

Seaboe
    Possibly. But he knew all along the Aschen were implementing a population control program, and he didn't tell his own wife about it. He couldn't have been naive enough to think it would be limited to just a few of the population.

Comment

Well, he never did strike me as extremely intelligent and he's nowhere near Sam's level, so there's a chance he just didn't make the connection where others would have. To me he just came across as very naive, especially for a politician...
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Well, he never did strike me as extremely intelligent and he's nowhere near Sam's level, so there's a chance he just didn't make the connection where others would have. To me he just came across as very naive, especially for a politician...
        My sentiments, too.

Comment

In my humble opinion I vote here for the idea as in 1969 that the alternative timeline poofs out of existence.
          The moment Hammond decides not to contact the Aaschem planet, the 2010 timeline is as if it never existed to begin with. All the characters are themselves in a populated world, with Sam having her child, and everybody alive.
          Thus, in Continuum the Mitchell who kills Baal and that entire timeline ceases to exist. The paradox is very interesting:
          that a person for whom a timeline had been altered would not even know that it had been altered (under normal circumstances).
          Let's say someone went back in time and stopped me from marrying my wife, and we each married someone else, but then yet another traveler went back and prevented that change in marriage, the "I" that exists only knows the world in which my wife and I are married, because my life in the alternate timeline has been stopped.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          My sentiments, too.

Comment

Brad Wright said somewhere that 2010 is an interesting exercise in time travel, because the only thing that actually travels through time is the note.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
              In my humble opinion I vote here for the idea as in 1969 that the alternative timeline poofs out of existence.
              The moment Hammond decides not to contact the Aaschem planet, the 2010 timeline is as if it never existed to begin with. All the characters are themselves in a populated world, with Sam having her child, and everybody alive.
              Thus, in Continuum the Mitchell who kills Baal and that entire timeline ceases to exist. The paradox is very interesting:
              that a person for whom a timeline had been altered would not even know that it had been altered (under normal circumstances).
              The whole issue about time travel is iffy, although you do make some good points. The thing with 2010 is that the whole future is rewritten into the unknown so that timeline has become an alternate one, while the present one remains the same, its was just steered down a different path.

In 1969 the present SG1 risked changing their timeline, which was why they had to try not to change anything, otherwise they could cease to exist when they returned, or would blink out completely - like with what we see in Continuum when Vala and Teal'c disappear. When Cameron went back in time to fix what Ba'al did, he changed things - I remember reading/hearing that by doing this something is changed in the present timeline - we just don't know what.

Time travel makes my head spin, because of what happens just by going back in time, and how the smallest of choices change the future. So technically the continuous loop of time travel might not happen if certain choices are made.
              Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

I wondered why Teal'c had to be arriving from Chulak as part of the plan to deliver the note, and since the stargate had to operate precisely at the time of the flare, how could they be sure that the time it took for Teal'c to intervene wouldn't delay the delivery? For that matter, why didn't Teal'c deliver the flare himself rather than have O'Neil try to slide down and do it if time was of the essence?
                What happened to Janet Fraiser during this time? How did O'Neil know that Daniel and Sam were going to the Cheyenne Mountain museum?
                One of the effects of changing the timeline without the Aschen was that Earth would have to defeat the goa'uld on their own, and that Janet Fraiser would be killed and would not live to 2010.
                Interesting that the two announcements of travel through the stargate in Washington was an arrival and a departure to Chulak.
                I didn't understand the idea that they needed Jaffa involvement in their plan but that most Jaffa would not participate because there were few symbiotes left because of the war. What difference would all that make, especially if now Jaffa were using Trentin instead of symbiotes? In any event, what was then going on on the goa'uld home planet??

Comment

What difference would all that make, especially if now Jaffa were using Trentin instead of symbiotes?
                  If you recall, this episode was made before Tretonin existed. So in the context of the episode, the Jaffa still need symbiotes.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Sorry. I lost track of the order of episodes.

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                    If you recall, this episode was made before Tretonin existed. So in the context of the episode, the Jaffa still need symbiotes.

Seaboe

Comment

By the way, how easily or quickly is a piece of paper supposed to be able to go through the stargate as compared to a self-moving object? When Sam tossed the paper into the blue it assumes that the paper is stronger than the force of the blue gook to withstand it.

Comment

I wondered why Teal'c had to be arriving from Chulak as part of the plan to deliver the note, and since the stargate had to operate precisely at the time of the flare, how could they be sure that the time it took for Teal'c to intervene wouldn't delay the delivery? For that matter, why didn't Teal'c deliver the flare himself rather than have O'Neil try to slide down and do it if time was of the essence?
                        What happened to Janet Fraiser during this time? How did O'Neil know that Daniel and Sam were going to the Cheyenne Mountain museum?
                        One of the effects of changing the timeline without the Aschen was that Earth would have to defeat the goa'uld on their own, and that Janet Fraiser would be killed and would not live to 2010.
                        Interesting that the two announcements of travel through the stargate in Washington was an arrival and a departure to Chulak.
                        I didn't understand the idea that they needed Jaffa involvement in their plan but that most Jaffa would not participate because there were few symbiotes left because of the war. What difference would all that make, especially if now Jaffa were using Trentin instead of symbiotes? In any event, what was then going on on the goa'uld home planet??
                        1) He seemed to be there as part of a distraction, so the other members of SG-1 could get the letter through. I think arrivals and departures to earth were much like an airport - so they could be timed. I don't think Teal'c could have delivered the note because he had no way to dial to Earth, from Earth - again it seems like the place was much like an airport, it's not likely he would have made it to dial the gate when he was just coming into Earth.

2) Janet probably stayed on Chulak (whether she agreed to it or not).

By the way, how easily or quickly is a piece of paper supposed to be able to go through the stargate as compared to a self-moving object? When Sam tossed the paper into the blue it assumes that the paper is stronger than the force of the blue gook to withstand it.
                        The second an object goes completely through the stargate it's disassembled and then reassembled on the other side. Basically you come out a fast or slow as you came in. As long as there was enough force to make the entire paper through, it would come out the other side at the same speed. It was waded up, which gave it enough strength and force to be thrown through the stargate. It would be like throwing it across the room - only it had the stargate to help it go across timelines.
                        Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Whoops.....I missed that. When did Janet disappear off to Chulak?

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
                          2) Janet probably stayed on Chulak (whether she agreed to it or not).

Comment

Whoops.....I missed that. When did Janet disappear off to Chulak?
                            Near the end of the episode, just before the team initiated their "attack" at the gate. Daniel was on the level just above where the gate was, Janet had just gone down the stairs and was going up to the gate, then turned and waved at Daniel.

Daniel then started to get in position to do whatever he was going to do. Jack began to prepare for what he was going to do. Sam and Joe showed up and had a bit of an argument. Teal'c came through the gate. And then all h*** broke loose.

Comment

Why did Janet luck out and not have to risk her life, and travel off to Chulak? In any case, in that reality her trip could have been traced, and she could have been found.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              Near the end of the episode, just before the team initiated their "attack" at the gate. Daniel was on the level just above where the gate was, Janet had just gone down the stairs and was going up to the gate, then turned and waved at Daniel.

Daniel then started to get in position to do whatever he was going to do. Jack began to prepare for what he was going to do. Sam and Joe showed up and had a bit of an argument. Teal'c came through the gate. And then all h*** broke loose.

Comment

Why did Janet luck out and not have to risk her life, and travel off to Chulak? In any case, in that reality her trip could have been traced, and she could have been found.
                                Good question. Maybe they figured if something went wrong and the plan didn't work, at least she would be safe somewhere else. After all, if the Aschen decided to do something in the way of punishment, they couldn't actually get to her on Chulak. Which is just a guess on my part.

Comment

Working...
                                X