No announcement yet.

The Devil You Know (313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just rewatched this one and I could swear that was Peter Deluise shouting "Sokar is attacking!!!" in the background.

Comment

Just rewatched the episode duo - Jolinar's Memories and Devil You Know. I forgot what good episodes they were, didn't recognize the writers - different from usual writers, I think. Great episodes, well paced, well directed, enjoyable. No slow bits.

My only problems were Apophis being there - how many videos have we seen him die in now? And, how did Teal'cs ship escape the moon explosion and not Sokars'. Sokar had more time, he was notified before Tealc caught the matter stream... Anyway, not really a big deal, just questions that came to mind as I watched.
      Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
      Quint Studer

Comment

Sokar's Hat'tak was larger and less manuverabule than Teal'c's Tel'tak. Also it is possible that the Hat'tak's engines were unactive unlike the Tel'tak's.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

I've just seen this episode for the first time (I've only just discovered Stargate and don't have Sky, so it's taking me a while to plough through the DVDs). It's very powerful, once again some great acting, especially from AT an RDA.

I agree with others on this thread that Sokra was a bit underused. He'd had a big build up, and seemed like a great nemisis, only to be killed off quickly.

I'm also wondering about the affect blowing up the moon had on other planets in the vacinity; it could really have screwed up someone's tides and gravity, not to mention any nearby planets being it by big chunks of debris.
          sigpic
          Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlan's Speechwriter View Post
            I'm also wondering about the affect blowing up the moon had on other planets in the vacinity; it could really have screwed up someone's tides and gravity, not to mention any nearby planets being it by big chunks of debris.
            Very good point! I don't think they considered the billions of tonnes of moonrock and molten core raining down on Delmak! Due to Delmak's gravity, much of the mass of the moon would end up raining down on Delmak. More mass and gravity for Delmak. No more tides, thick dust through the atmosphere......ice age?

Imagine if our moon exploded!

Comment

Originally posted by First View Post
              Very good point! I don't think they considered the billions of tonnes of moonrock and molten core raining down on Delmak! Due to Delmak's gravity, much of the mass of the moon would end up raining down on Delmak. More mass and gravity for Delmak. No more tides, thick dust through the atmosphere......ice age?

Hmmm... Bet the weather forecast on Delmak was interesting after the explosion!
              sigpic
              Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

i agree with everyone who said sokar was hardly used, but oh well @ least apophis lives!

Comment

Really? This is a favourite of people's?...Really?? I just don't see it. But then, Sam isn't one of my favourites, so just want to skip over all the Sam/Martouf/Jolinar stuff. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Sam as part of the team, or even with any one of the other team members. I think she brings so much to the show and wouldn't want her gone, but I just don't like the Sam-centric episodes. I feel the same way about Teal'c (don't hurt me anyone!!). Also, I just thought this ep was kind of drawn-out. Doesn't help that I watched the first nine seasons of Stargate all out of order within five weeks or so, so Apophis being alive didn't surprise me. It just made me forget what season I was in! I DO agree the sets were amazing. I did think there were a few good scenes in here, and the ever-popular classic O'Neill quips, but I just wasn't that impressed. I see it and say...meh.

Comment

Originally posted by First View Post

Hell, it would cure the werewolf problem...

And tides suck.

Seriously though, it was one of those half-assed Tok'ra plans. But then it was Sam only a few eps later blowing up a friggin SUN.

Sun >>> moon.

What's the cliché here? Desparate times call for desparate measures? ^^

FTR, I really liked the whole concept of Sokar, and his portrayal wasn't too bad but he was just severely underused. Imo they really took the whole badass mother goa'uld thing to the next level with Anubis. Anubis > Sokar.
                    => Complete SG-1 marathon: currently watching Season 10... <=

In the end, only you can decide the fate of your own soul…

sigpic

As your mother, you will listen to *me*, young lady! There will be *no* leading ships on a mass murdering crusade!

Comment

Did anyone notice that while Apophis is questioning Jack that Jack's mouth is covered? How could Jack possibly say anything?

Comment

Was good to see apophis back
                        Wish we could see more of Sokar though
                        Few more episodes with him in would have been good
                        Spoiler:
                        But he got blown up in the Netu explosion and now Apophis has his army
                        Apophis is now a stronger than ever with Sokars army
                        Should we expect an attack on Earth? Or will he try to get an even bigger army? Or try to take out someone else? eg Tokra

Comment

i liked this episode and its one of my favorites...Its kinda messed up that they kill hypothesis once and then he came back and took over Socars fleet and armies. frogive the spelling
                          sigpic

ATLANTIS RULES

Comment

Great two-parter adventure! You can't go wrong with an episode where SG1 has to rescue a prisoner from an impenetrable fortress and then escape.

Loved Bynar's infected eye socket, with the yellow puss seeping out. I think this is the first Stargate episode I've seen where a Goa'uld system lord has another Goa'uld serving under him. I'm still a little confused why Jolinar slept with Bynar, rather than just hit him over the head and steal the transporter key. Hmmm . . . she seemed to be kissing Bynar quite passionately in Sam's flashbacks. Sort of creepy.

One detail I enjoyed - the outside shots of the city on Delmak showed automobile traffic zipping along on the roads below. I guess it makes sense that even on Goa'uld worlds there would be (hellish?) traffic, and people working 9 to 5 shifts, even if you are living on a world where your leader styles himself after Satan. I wonder if Sokar's lieutenants in the crazy costumes had to commute in from the suburbs every day. Wow, what a job that would be!

Agreed that Sokar was under-utilized. I'm curious how Sokar amassed such a huge fleet, powerful enough to defeat all the other Goa'uld. I think Sokar needed more bodyguards in his throne room - it was too easy for Apophis to kill his lieutenants and escape.

Apophis needs to take Torture 101. All he did was probe SG1's memories with the Tok'ra device. And when they didn't talk, he just threw them back into their cell. No wonder nobody talked. Whatever happened to tearing out fingernails or pulling teeth? Not that I wanted to see my favorite characters being tortured, but Apophis is supposed to be ruthless, isn't he? Delving into the character's memories wasn't too suspenseful. It was more like Apophis the pop psychologist than Apophis the evil Goa'uld.

Comment

I liked this two-parter, especially because of the crazy ideas put into action. That blood of Sokar must have been very weak since none of those who were interrogated gave in. Apophis was really overconfident and may i add naive to think he actually got any useful information from our guys. The Tok'ra are really suicidal maniacs and Teal'c had every reason to lock that guy up. What else?! Even if Apophis is the first and one of the most long lasting bad guys, he seems a bit soft (even after what he did on Chulak - see Maternal Instinct). Blowing up the moon was brilliant and the layout of Delmak was really well-done. God bless special effects

off-topic: too many bad guys drop dead like flies without too much resistance. It gets annoying in time
                              Last edited by me_urgo; 30 June 2008, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by me_urgo View Post
                                I liked this two-parter, especially because of the crazy ideas put into action. That blood of Sokar must have been very weak since none of those who were interrogated gave in. Apophis was really overconfident and may i add naive to think he actually got any useful information from our guys. The Tok'ra are really suicidal maniacs and Teal'c had every reason to lock that guy up. What else?! Even if Apophis is the first and one of the most long lasting bad guys, he seems a bit soft (even after what he did on Chulak - see Maternal Instinct). Blowing up the moon was brilliant and the layout of Delmak was really well-done. God bless special effects

off-topic: too many bad guys drop dead like flies without too much resistance. It gets annoying in time
                                Well I'm sure that the blood of Sokar would work on the minds of lesser mortals. However, this wasn't any normal group of people, I also put forward that Apophis was experimenting with the memory recall device accompanied by the blood of Sokar. In my opinion he was desperate so instead of torturing them he messed around with some alternate methods. I totally agree Delamk was an awesome planet especially at the end when you see Apophis with two mother ships in the background.

Well in a way the fact that they all don't survive every skirmish makes the bad guys who do look awesome.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X