No announcement yet.

The Devil You Know (313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a brilliant two-parter from the sam/jolinar and martouf relationship to the sam and selmak/dad bit. It was good to see the Tokra in action and a new Goa'uld (although he didn't last long..shame),teal'c was great in standing up to that tokra guy and managing to rescue the team.And apophis popping up was hilarious. I loved Sokar and his image (including the jaffa).
    The only bit that annoys me is sokar like all the other system lords that according to daniel have been around for millenia get ass-whupped in afew minutes as soon as SG1 turn up. The poor devil (no pun intended) has been silently gathering his forces for years after being banished by the other system lords. Just as he's getting the upper hand, SG1 (with a little help from apophis) splat him.

Comment

Good point
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Uh, hello? This is a TV show. They have to make the heroes kick bad-guy butt in the hardest way! And at least Sokar went out with a bang! (Oooh, sorry. No pun intended)
        Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
          <snipped>(Oooh, sorry. No pun intended)
          Uh-huh, suuuuuure.

Comment

Great End to the two parter a better ending would have been not seeing Apophis, leaving a mystery for the next time we see him, would have got everyone more eager to know who escaped Natu, shame Sokar had to go!

Comment

This two-parter was the peak of Season 3. I love the part where Teal'c is being chased by the death gliders and he manages to intercept the matter stream at exactly the right time. The sets on Natu and Sokar's homeworld are amazing. They're so very lush and intricate. Between the sets, the environment effects shots, and the lighting - at any one time, at least half of the screen is black and the other half is red - these are among the most visually distinctive episodes there are.

The only thing I kind of have a problem with is that Apophis is alive. Still. His previous episode was a great send-off, but Martouf just HAD to say that Sokar had a sarcophagus. Oh well, the way that he came back made it almost worth it - literally leading the armies of Hell. And he almost seems happy to see his good buddies SG-1...in a cruel, sadistic way of course."Your insolence is music to my ears!"

Sokar was intriguing too. It's a pity they killed him. But it destroying a moon to take out his ship - what a way to go! Any episode where they blow up a celestial body is A-OK in my book.

Comment

But it's funny that Apophis just gained control of Sokar's army like that. I mean like Sokar's forces just listened to Apophis when he took control? They should have known Apophis was his enemy.

Comment

I dunno...Jaffa seem to owe their loyalty to their god rather the cause he fights for. Once he's dead, they're all kinda like "now what?". It was also common practice in ancient times to absorb the army of the nation you defeat.

You bring up an interesting question, though. If gods aren't supposed to be able to die, wouldn't Sokar's destruction cause a massive spiritual crisis among all the Jaffa who heard about it? Wouldn't all of the Jaffa Apophis absorbed be in denial that their god is dead?

Comment

One of the best episodes of season 3...........even better than Jolinar's Memories

Comment

Originally posted by Ascendant
                      I dunno...Jaffa seem to owe their loyalty to their god rather the cause he fights for. Once he's dead, they're all kinda like "now what?". It was also common practice in ancient times to absorb the army of the nation you defeat.

You bring up an interesting question, though. If gods aren't supposed to be able to die, wouldn't Sokar's destruction cause a massive spiritual crisis among all the Jaffa who heard about it? Wouldn't all of the Jaffa Apophis absorbed be in denial that their god is dead?
                      You would think the jaffa would know by now that their gods are mortal. I can imagine alot of jaffa have had to change god's as their deity is whupassed by SG1. And as for apophis's jaffa ...well lets just say they must be confused, is he or isn't he dead this time?

Comment

Just rewatched this episode and I must say it reclaimed the number one position in my "best of SG-1" list! This is truly the best episode ever even though I hate how they killed Sokar just when we get to know him. I agree with some people that he would have been an even cooler villain than Apophis, but Apophis still rules of course. This is just so unbeliveably brilliant episode and two parter that I cannot find words to describe how good it is.
                        I hope this one wins the best episode tournament. At least this one should be up there with episodes like "The Fifth Race" and "Window of Opportunity".

Comment

When Daniel was reviving Jack after his torture, was I correct in hearing Jack grumble "I dont want to go to school." I thought that was so funny!
                          "Do you people practice being vague?"

Comment

Haha repressed memorys of how much he probably hated school.
                            sigpic

Comment

I absolutely agree that Sokar was underused. We barely know him. I expected a little fight between Sokar's Red Jaffa ( they were cool in red ! ) and SG-1/Tok'Ra. Still very good epsode. More confrontration and interaction between Apophis and SG-1 members , destruction of Nuti moon all very impressive. At the end while Apophis looking to sky , remains of Nuti and Sokar's mothership , he is probably thinking "You shall pay for this ! At the end I became Satan !"
                              Last edited by desert fox; 13 June 2006, 05:37 AM.

Comment

yeah rofl but apophis HAD a big fleet and army

Comment

Working...
                                X