Unending (1020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateShip One View Post
    I'm going to choose to believe for the moment that the Ancients ascended the Asgard just before their planet exploded. While the Asgard couldn't ascend themselves, there's nothing stopping the Ancients from ascending their old buddies themselves.

In one of the movies we could have an ascended Thor come down and talk to SG-1.
    well we do have the hologram thor.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
      Oh no, it wasn't depressing at all, quite the opposite. It was a wonderful episode, as I am sure you will find when you do get to watch it. I can't believe that you have to wait so long, it's just cruel.
      And I'm quite sure she will not find it to be a wonderful episode. If you've read Majorsal's past posts, you would realize she doesn't enjoy Vaniel; Daniel isn't her reason for watching the show. In fact, she's made it quite clear she has different likes than you do.

But one thing I think she will appreciate is that Amanda is really good in this episode. I thought her acting was outstanding, especially as she aged.

Comment

Something has been bothering me about the final episode; it is something Vala and the others discussed before coming up with the idea of using the time dilation field.

When the crew is discussing how the Ori ships are tracking them, Vala says, "[Maybe] the Ori themselves [are] tipping off the priors." Daniel responds, "We've already passed back into the Milky Way; as far as we know, the Ancients should have a problem with the Ori using their ascended powers right under their noses." Sam agreees with this sentiment.

My question is this: didn't the crew previously confirm that the Ori themselves (the gods, not their human followers) had all been killed when Merlin's weapon was sent through to their own galaxy? When Baal took over Adriel's body, he confirmed this.

Why, now, is the crew speaking of the Ori as if they are alive? I have thought of several possibilities, but I'm looking for input from this forum on the issue.

Possibility 1) Perhaps Baal was lying and the Ori themselves had not been destroyed. If this is true, the audience is never made aware of the fact that SG-1 somehow confirmed that Baal was lying and the Ori are still alive.

Possibility 2) Perhaps the crew is really speaking of Adriel herself when they speak of the Ori in this episode. Instead of dying, Adriel ascended, taking on all the powers the Ori formerly had. If this is the case that the crew is indeed only speaking of her, why do they reference the "Ori" in a plural sense? They should speak only of Adriel, whom the audience knows is ascended.

Possibility 3) I thought that this show might originally have been planned to air earlier in the season, but the producers thought it would make a good final episode. If the show were meant to air before the episodes in which the Ori are killed or Adriel ascends, there would be no discrepancy to talk of the "Ori" in a plural sense and in the sense of them still being alive.

Possibility 4) Maybe I'm overlooking a fact that makes SG-1's reference to the Ori as still being alive clear in the final episode or in another episode. If this is the case, please let me know.

I welcome all feedback on this post, as I would really like to have the question settled. Are the Ori dead? If so, why does SG-1 speak of them as they're still alive? If only Adriel now makes up the "Ori," why do they speak of the Ori in a plural sense? Has she recruited more ascended beings into the Ori ranks? I doubt this, as she would most likely have a problem with sharing all her newfound powers.

Again, any help in resolving this lingering question of mine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Newsome

Comment

unending spoliers.
          Spoiler:

the simple soulotion for why the ori can track the Odyssey is that it is a plot device to make our new upgrades make us not seem invisnable
          according to the show Sam felt that the ori ships could track the new power source.

another possibility is that Adria was helping the priors

Comment

I don't know much of anything about what the new series is supposed to be about, but I would hope that it would be based more heavily on events in Earth, like the revealing of the program, the complications of other countries acquiring the technologies (Mainly Russia). I think they should find a way to make part of the series deal with the unification of Earth, if people realized what was out there than they might band together a bit more, at least have some kind of a more substantial alliance between Earth's superpowers. That way it's actually the Tau'ri who are representing Earth. Could put an interesting spin on things.

I don't know how likely it is that the Odyssey will be sent to Atlantis, even with SG-1 gone Earth will still need ships in the MW. Might get the technology eventually, or perhaps the writers could just bring out some common sense and have the 304's beam nukes just outside of the Hives. Never understood why they don't.

I also didn't understand why they just didn't cloak the Odyssey between hyperspace jumps? Surely the Ori wouldn't be able to pinpoint them?

Comment

My question wasn't regarding how the Ori ships are managing to track SG-1. My question was why did SG-1 refer to the (plural) Ori as if they were still alive. Granted, Adria (sorry about my previous misspellings of her name) may have been helping the priors now that she is ascended and is an Ori (although the word "an" isn't truly accurate, since she is the only one now, unless Baal was mistaken that the Ori are all dead).

The question remains: Are the Ori dead or aren't they? If they are, why does the crew keep speaking as if they're still alive? If they are not dead, why was the audience never made aware of this?

Comment

I believe that the Ori ships were tracking their hyperdrive, thats why they switched to the old hyperdrive to get away.

Comment

Again, it doesn't matter how the Ori ships were tracking them. It doesn't matter if the Ori were helping the priors or not. My question is, "Why does SG-1 still speak of the Ori in the present tense as if they're still alive when we have learned they are not, except for Adria?"

Comment

My question is, "Why does SG-1 still speak of the Ori in the present tense as if they're still alive when we have learned they are not, except for Adria?"
                    cause it hasn't eben confired for 100% fact that the ori are dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                      I agree. Luckily is Sky + it and I saw it 8 times already . I still get tears in my eyes. You cannot kill optimism and wishful thinking. It is possible they had help but from whom? Oma was punished, Daniel was not ascended, and the other ancients were to posh to do anything about it. Guess they were chatting about Sophocles whilst having some green tea with milk .
                      but they were allies in a loong time so the others maybe did a exception
                      sigpic

So now that is why I call you names, like Carol, Jane and Sue. Like Moesha, Kim and Lilly and Susanne and Betty-Lou. See, regardless of the names I pick, my feelings are quite clear; you're a pain in every day of every month of every year.

Dr.cox Scrubs

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        cause it hasn't eben confired for 100% fact that the ori are dead.
                        Agreed. We don't know for sure the final fate of the Ori.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Overture View Post
                          I don't know, my initial impression on first watching was that she was having a breakdown about them being trapped on the ship.
                          That was my 1st impression too.

Its just as likely though that they could have had a fight, or the miscarriage ideas.

I guess we wont know (Teal'c might )
                          Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I'm glad most have enjoyed the finale, and I too believe that it had a "finale feel". I don't see that it coppied alot from other shows, sure it might have some similar points but it still remained seperate and IMO tptb wrote a great end to a great series.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Yep, it's Baal's (or is it Ba'al?) word against Adria's word. And I really think Baal saying that the Ori are dead is better for the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                                And I'm quite sure she will not find it to be a wonderful episode. If you've read Majorsal's past posts, you would realize she doesn't enjoy Vaniel; Daniel isn't her reason for watching the show. In fact, she's made it quite clear she has different likes than you do.

But one thing I think she will appreciate is that Amanda is really good in this episode. I thought her acting was outstanding, especially as she aged.
                                So you think that Majorsal doesn't like any episodes that have Daniel and Vala in them? I don't enjoy Sam, but I still found this to be a wonderful episode even though she was in it as much as the rest of the team.
                                sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Working...
                                X