No announcement yet.

Company of Thieves (1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had no issue with daniel taking 'command' to bluff. Sam was needed in the engine room (although she was little more than vala's straightman...par for the course anymore), teal'c and cam weren't there and, hey daniel is a good bull*******.

he can delay and ruminate and BS with the best of them.

and they were also likely hampered by 'real life' issues....see they never bothered to designate a second in command of teh ship (marks is the only other officer that even has a name) and if htey'd have made a new character, well then they'd have to pay that person for a speaking role instead of the scale they get for being an extra

why do you think so many members of the SGC just stand there and nod? so they don't have to pay them as much

maybe if they'd have cut back on the flashy SFX they coulda paid an actor to be the official second in command, but we all know ont he show now, effects are all that matters, the actors are incidental
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
      Our posts are not an indication of why SciFi cancelled SG-1. We are simply critiquing an episode, and if you read back through all the Season threads, we've been doing it for years.

Also, most posters, overall, said the episode was good. It could have been better, as any show usually can be better. It doesn't mean any of us are going to stop watching. I plan on watching until the very last piece of film unspools - and I'll still be giving my opinion.

Sometimes I think the more someone nitpicks, the more it means they actually love a show. It might not look like it to read some things that get said, but the poster is often pointing out such things precisely because s/he loves the show enough to really think deeply about the minutiae.
      Fargater (n.) A Farscape fan who got curious about Stargate SG-1 on learning BB and CB would be joining, belatedly discovered the greatness of Stargate SG-1 in reruns, and who is now a happy fan of both shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargater

Sometimes I think the more someone nitpicks, the more it means they actually love a show. It might not look like it to read some things that get said, but the poster is often pointing out such things precisely because s/he loves the show enough to really think deeply about the minutiae.
        I have to agree. While I love the show the more someone nitpicks it means they love the show but they just see things that irks. It's not the same with me as I can't find much if anything to complain about.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargater

Agreed. If SG-1 was a mediocre show for me, I wouldn't waste my time discussing it at length on a message board. I love discussing it with other fans, and even for those who don't like certain episodes, their reasons for their dislikes are usually well explained. I think most SG-1 fans generally like or love the episodes, but like anything else, the episodes are not perfect. Personally, I can only name a few that I really disliked, but even now, I'll still watch them if I catch it on a rerun. (now that's devotion)

Also, I just read your definition of a "Fargater." Glad you joined the SG-1 fanbase. I'm sorta the opposite of a Fargater. I have always watched SG-1, but I got pulled into Farscape by catching reruns that aired after SG-1. I'm a fan of both shows too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
            Well, after reading the last bunch of posts, I am beginning to see why SciFi cancelled SG-1.....and don't be surprised if Atlantis doesn't make it to episode 100.
            ?? Are you claiming that posters on an internet forum nitpicking eps are the reason why SciFi cancelled SG1? And here I thought it had something to do with ratings...

Since so many of you are putting down the writing, please keep me apprised of your own endeavors in the field of TV screenplays or even Fanfic. I am always looking for a good read.
            So one should only express their criticism if they are competent in the field? That means no more negative comments about a book if you're not a writer, no gripes about a song on the radio if you can't sing, and no critiquing artwork if you can't make a sculpture. And if that's the case, doesn't that mean that the opinions of people who love something are equally less valid if they can't do the things they claim to love? Or is this just a double standard for those holding negative views?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
              It doesn't have anything to do with being a lazy writer. It's about having a sense of humor. *Shrug* I thought it was a great touch.

Hey, I have a sense of humor.

*shots fire* *Emerson goes down, baby!* *Dani snorts with laughter*
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                (except the Cam = Netan part, that was pretty obvious).

*pouts* This is why I hate mysteries. I never figure out the obvious.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  then why not pair her up with teal'c or sam???? if they're really wanting to avoid the browder/black angle (truthfully, if it's that big of an issue they shoulda thought of that before they hired two actors from teh same show. and if the characters' writing was better, cam and vala would be so different from aeryn and john that it wouldn't matter)

this 'set' recipe of daniel/vala, cam/teal'c and sam on her own is old, really, really old.

character development comes from them interacting with each other, but if the pairings are never shaken up, there is no development and it stagnates
                  Well, Sam ain't there, and I don't think the army wants 2 aliens representing Earth. If Sam was there, she would also be one of the commanding officers, and probably doesn't want to lead Vala around every where with her.

Yeah, it's discriminative, but c'est la vie.

Comment

Honestly, Marks was weapons, shields, comm, and propulsion. That's where his specialty is. Who woulkd be in Marks's place if he was in command of the Odyssey.
                    Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                      Well, Sam ain't there, and I don't think the army wants 2 aliens representing Earth. If Sam was there, she would also be one of the commanding officers, and probably doesn't want to lead Vala around every where with her.

Yeah, it's discriminative, but c'est la vie.
                      But, when SG1 is offworld, it's not like the army (wouldn't it be the air force?) is there to tell them not to let Teal'c and Vala pair up together. And, didn't they do just that in Insiders? (Or whatever episode it wasthey couldn't superglue Vala to Daniel's backside) And, I think they should be able to let Vala and Mitchell pair up sometimes. Frankly, in the few times Vala and Mitchell have interacted, I haven't seen any Aeryn and John. But, I hate the image of these professional writers quivering in their shoes and scared to write anything just because someone might get upset. Especially since they never seem to quiver over anything I say.

"You won't pair up Daniel and Vala for 3 episodes in a row! You got that, writers!" *glares menancingly* *writers pop a few ribs laughing at me* See, never works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                        well, i'm in the 'is that netan or daniel' camp, becaue wehn i was watching i was doing a running commentary for hte folks in samanda and i said 'netan goes to see snakehead...or is that daniel using the ring???'

course, i musta missed it when daniel pricked snakehead with the ring to make the reole stuff work

really? how else could they get out of it? the only other option that came easily to mind is cam brokering some sort of truce/armistace with netan and netan lets them go out of some respect thing
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Don't worry, I didn't guess it either.

Oh, and this is mostly OT, but I would make a horrible showrunner because I would deliberately look for what the fans want and then deliberately do the exact opposite.
                          Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                          Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                          -Audioslave

Comment

But, when SG1 is offworld, it's not like the army (wouldn't it be the air force?) is there to tell them not to let Teal'c and Vala pair up together.
                            Actually, it would seem that Danny is the only one who has any sort of "control" over Vala's antics. How do I put this...it's like he is her big brother, while the others are just friends.

Something like that (probably offended a bunch of D/V shippers right then and there though).

And, didn't they do just that in Insiders? (Or whatever episode it wasthey couldn't superglue Vala to Daniel's backside)
                            I'm not sure, but they weren't alone. They had the rest of SG-whatever with them.

They were also not in a "meet-and-greet" situation like tonight, so Vala's behavior wouldn't have been as important.

And, I think they should be able to let Vala and Mitchell pair up sometimes. Frankly, in the few times Vala and Mitchell have interacted, I haven't seen any Aeryn and John.
                            That's because you are an anomaly.

Comment

Originally posted by full.infinity

Oh, and this is mostly OT, but I would make a horrible showrunner because I would deliberately look for what the fans want and then deliberately do the exact opposite.

Except when you did that, you'd find that half the fans wanted the exact opposite anyway. One fan wants one thing, it's a sure bet that another fan wants something else. So, if the writers try to please or even annoy the fans as a whole, there's always at least one who has the opposite opinion. And, then the writers implode from the strain.

Comment

Except when you did that, you'd find that half the fans wanted the exact opposite anyway. One fan wants one thing, it's a sure bet that another fan wants something else. So, if the writers try to please or even annoy the fans as a whole, there's always at least one who has the opposite opinion. And, then the writers implode from the strain.
                                It's not going to be exactly 50-50. Especially if I look on Slashdot, where opinions are 3 times as polarized.

Except that I wouldn't actually do that unless I took control of something like Star Wars(Han would shoot first--and miss. Then Greedo would shoot, Han would die, and the story would end there. *evil laugh*)
                                If I actually had my own show(something incredibly unlikely) I would plan out everything beforehand a la Babylon 5 and wouldn't be able to do things like that.
                                Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                                Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                                -Audioslave

Comment

Working...
                                X