Company of Thieves (1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nccjones
    I understand why you would think that, but really, the Air Force is not going to let a civilian (let alone an archeologist) command an Air Force vessel no matter what his experience on an elite team is.

I get that they wouldn't let a civillian do it. But, why would being an archeologist be an extra point against him doing it?
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
      Well, after reading the last bunch of posts, I am beginning to see why SciFi cancelled SG-1.....and don't be surprised if Atlantis doesn't make it to episode 100. Since so many of you are putting down the writing, please keep me apprised of your own endeavors in the field of TV screenplays or even Fanfic. I am always looking for a good read.
      Our posts are not an indication of why SciFi cancelled SG-1. We are simply critiquing an episode, and if you read back through all the Season threads, we've been doing it for years.

Also, most posters, overall, said the episode was good. It could have been better, as any show usually can be better. It doesn't mean any of us are going to stop watching. I plan on watching until the very last piece of film unspools - and I'll still be giving my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
        I get that they wouldn't let a civillian do it. But, why would being an archeologist be an extra point against him doing it?
        Because think about it, even though he's gone through the gate for 10 years, his expertise has always been his background. Yeah, he learned how to use guns over the years, but where was his training to actually command a ship and to understand it's systems and give orders? He didn't even know anything about the weapon's system.

I love Daniel, don't get me wrong, but that was just a totally unbelievable scenario. There would have been a chain of command in place to have taken over the command position.

BTW, I agree with you that when a poster makes a personal jab at another poster...it's not debating
        Last edited by nccjones; 16 September 2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Liked this episode, we learned that the majority of the Alliance are **** scared of the Tau'ri...

Does anyone get the feeling that those aliens are from another galaxy? Netan said to one of them 'you are the biggest fool in two galaxies' which made me wonder...

Comment

Because think about it, even though he's gone through the gate for 10 years, his expertise has always been his background. Yeah, he learned how to use guns over the years, but where was his training to actually command a ship and to understand it's systems and give orders? He didn't even know anything about the weapon's system.

I love Daniel, don't get me wrong, but that was just a totally unbelievable scenario. There would have been a chain of command in place to have taken over the command position.
            I'm not debating that he should have done it. It just sounded funny that him being an archeologist would be specifically mentioned. Wouldn't all civillians lack the training to command a ship or understand the systems, not just those civillians that are archeologists? It sounded something like, "If he were a hair dresser, maybe we could overlook the problems, but an archeologist just blows any believabilty out of the water."

BTW, I have no idea why I cast Daniel as a hair dresser in that example. Maybe because I really need to wash mine.

eta: And, I wasn't upset or even bothered that you said that it wasn't realistic that Daniel was doing it. People have brought up "and he's an archeologist!" specifically before as an additional thing when Daniel does something that they wouldn't normally have a civillian do, and I always find it funny that his archeological background gets mentioned in times like these. Why not him being a linguist? But, that just goes to show how little they let him use those skills. Can't even get someone to say something negative about him being a linguist.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

I apologise as no hostility was meant. I have no problem that some don't like certain things. What IRKS me is hearing the same thing day after fay week after week in different threads. The things people complain about are always the same. I happen to like Vala,Cam and the pairings and others don't. I just get sick oif the whole Cam/Vala thing. I have no problem at all with some people likeing one thing and others not. I just get tired of the repetivie bashing of the same thing.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
                Our posts are not an indication of why SciFi cancelled SG-1. We are simply critiquing an episode, and if you read back through all the Season threads, we've been doing it for years.

Also, most posters, overall, said the episode was good. It could have been better, as any show usually can be better. It doesn't mean any of us are going to stop watching. I plan on watching until the very last piece of film unspools - and I'll still be giving my opinion.
                Very good post...I agree. Even though I definately had some nitpicks, I did find I enjoyed this episode and I'm looking forward to a second viewing.

Comment

I'm not debating that he should have done it. It just sounded funny that him being an archeologist would be specifically mentioned. Wouldn't all civillians lack the training to command a ship or understand the systems, not just those civillians that are archeologists? It sounded something like, "If he were a hair dresser, maybe we could overlook the problems, but an archeologist just blows any believabilty out of the water."

BTW, I have no idea why I cast Daniel as a hair dresser in that example. Maybe because I really need to wash mine.
                  Agree and understand (ummm, not that you have to wash your hair). I guess I threw in the archeologist because it added to my argument that it was an unbelievable situation...such as a hair dresser

Comment

Although, I'd be willing to suspend all disbelief if there was a hair dresser. "You can try beaming up, and if you make it, we have to do something about those split ends!"

Comment

Although, I'd be willing to suspend all disbelief if there was a hair dresser. "You can try beaming up, and if you make it, we have to do something about those split ends!"
                      But then if the hairdresser was in the chair, we'd have to sit through them telling their stories about their respected other and their children, and then they'd gossip about the other team members...no no...a hair dresser would be too much.

eta...this was by no means meant to disrepect any hair dresser out there. You are held in my highest esteem since you hold the scissors and have my hair in your hands. I also believe you can fly huge space ships if given the opportunity

Comment

But then if the hairdresser was in the chair, we'd have to sit through them telling their stories about their respected other and their children, and then they'd gossip about the other team members...no no...a hair dresser would be too much.

I shouldn't laugh. You just know the writers are reading this, and going, "good idea. Wonder if we have to give credit when it happens in episode 20?"

Comment

I shouldn't laugh. You just know the writers are reading this, and going, "good idea. Wonder if we have to give credit when it happens in episode 20?"
                          Maybe Marty could use it for episode 300! Oh yeah....no episode 300....bummer. I'd be willing to take a hairdresser for episode 300.

Comment

AKA - lazy writers who think it's funny to hear aliens say they "screwed up" and the ever hilarious "damn you, Cam Mitchell!" I think the translator comes with a built in yuk yuk button.

It doesn't have anything to do with being a lazy writer. It's about having a sense of humor. *Shrug* I thought it was a great touch.
                            It feels good to be alive.
                            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Kracker
                              Because she doesnt have any where near as much chemistry with either of those than she does with the guy playing Daniel?

Didnt think I was gonig to overlly like this episode at the beginning, but enjoyed it more as it went on. Shame that wierd alien guy at the end had to die though.
                              what Dani said, how do you KNOW if they have chemistry or not????

the writers seem incapable of prying vala from daniel's side (or him from her's) to let any of the others have a crack at it.

I for one liked the little snippits of vala/teal'c and vala/sam we got in counterstrike when MS took a week off

the character pairings are boringly predictible. these aren't unpaid fannish writers, they're pro's and pro's should be capable of writing anyone with anyonr...and if htey can't then they're not all that 'pro'

Either that or if theyu're so obsessed with Vaniel, then just send those two off somewhere and let cam, teal'c and sam have their own adventures
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Solid, solid team episode! I honestly did not see many of the twists coming (except the Cam = Netan part, that was pretty obvious). Unfortunately there aren't any real "holy crap!" moments, but like I said, the episode is pretty much solid all the way through.

So, the points:

I'm liking Netan. He started out as your usual bad guy/maniac, but now that we've seen his "brothers in arms" and others of his ilk, we can start to understand him as a man that's probably never happy thanks to all the people trying to overthrone him on one hand, and the Ori taking over on the other; not to mention the menial jobs with his acquisitions (ie. kassa crops not growing so well). I hope we see him a few more times.

Emmerson's dead! I'd probably not see it coming if I wasn't exposed to some spoilers by some n00bs though.

I loved all the conversation between Cam and Netan, especially how Cam played that part. It fit perfectly. I guess all airforce people are trained in dramatics too.

Poor Tenat! I liked him and Jup...hopefully the latter shows up later on.

Like I said, this is a team episode, and an excellent one at that. Everyone played some sort of a role, and all of them were important in their own way. That's what team eps should be about, not whether they're together in the same room IMHO.

Captain Jackson! He loved it, he reeeealllly did.

Nice Sam/Vala moment at the end there.

And of course, the title change. Really loved that one.

I think what this episode showed is that Stargate can still be fun, beside all the drama of facing death every day. Looking back, one can really see the evolution that Stargate's gone through. From 4 simple people stepping through the gate and running into some minor trouble in some little village on some unimportant planet, to this. It's a legacy, really, and I'm glad it didn't stay like back then (not that "back then" was bad).

Score: 8/10

Comment

Working...
                                X