Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The view figures had dropped too low, so I guess this is why SG1 was dropped, but BSG has also dropped off in the viewing figures. I agree stop watching the Sci-fi channel, hurt them where they hurt most! Viewing figures!

Comment

One thing I was wondering is that cancelling season 11 was to free up the 30 or so million dollars so they could run show several additional 13 episode shows in 2007 and 2008. because the dresden files probably are being made for under a million dollars an episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic Wizard View Post
        The view figures had dropped too low, so I guess this is why SG1 was dropped, but BSG has also dropped off in the viewing figures. I agree stop watching the Sci-fi channel, hurt them where they hurt most! Viewing figures!

how many people will stop watching SCIFI though?
        doesnt effect me since i watch SKY1 so its mostly on the american viewers and i doubt the right amount of americans would boycott SCIFI

SUPPORT PALESTINE

Comment

There is no season 11 because of poor ratings, bad scripts, burnt out writers & rampant egos. The Scfi channel simply put them out of there misery. The show had already gone two seasons too long(some would argue 5) and so someone had to step in and tell TPTB that they had creatively run out of puff and the public were switching off big time. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by bodrul View Post
            doesnt effect me since i watch SKY1 so its mostly on the american viewers and i doubt the right amount of americans would boycott SCIFI
            With the exception of atlantis, i will....

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
              There is no season 11 because of poor ratings, bad scripts, burnt out writers & rampant egos.
              Actually, it was none of those things. Sci Fi cancelled it because it cost more than they were willing to pay, ratings weren't an issue as they weren't particularly bad, and Sci Fi said they were willing to renew the show for another season if the price was right.

Comment

i would totally boycott sci-fi, i am not a very big fan of bsg, and the movies they show are so lame, like right now they are showing fairy tale: a true story, and after that they have twilight zone. sci-fi is so lame. and the times that the new sg1 and future sga air are at like 1 pm so i am in school, so i always have to wait for the re-runs on channel 2, which really sucks. however, this might have already been brought up but, what if they stopped doing big space battle scenes? i don't have any actually numbers, but i beat s1, s2, and s3 cost as much as maybe just s10, probably not, but you get my idea. i admit, i love the space battles, they are uber cool, but if i had a choice between no more sg1 and no space battles i would take the second. to do this i would say get some new writers, and go back to the original style.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Actually, it was none of those things. Sci Fi cancelled it because it cost more than they were willing to pay, ratings weren't an issue as they weren't particularly bad, and Sci Fi said they were willing to renew the show for another season if the price was right.
                  And you believe that spin?!!
                  Even my most favourite shows of all time have been cancelled because of poor ratings, bad scripts, dwindling veiwers etc. I could sight your above reason for their cancellation as well.
                  Why is it that people can't admit their shows tank-as most will always do- at sometime during their run
                  Stargate was CANCELLED. Ratings didn't justify cost. Like ALL shows that get cancelled. Why is it such a hard word to say and admit?

Comment

Stargate was CANCELLED. Ratings didn't justify cost. Like ALL shows that get cancelled. Why is it such a hard word to say and admit?
                    I think you've summed it up well in the bolded line.

Whether you feel that the ratings were high, okay or low, they simply weren't high enough.

Had the show's costs been lower, maybe the Season Ten ratings would have been enough to justify continuing for another year and had the ratings been higher, maybe the cost would have been justified.

Ratings and costs aren't separate issues, they will always be linked.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by crudelius View Post
                      i would totally boycott sci-fi, i am not a very big fan of bsg, and the movies they show are so lame, like right now they are showing fairy tale: a true story, and after that they have twilight zone. sci-fi is so lame. and the times that the new sg1 and future sga air are at like 1 pm so i am in school, so i always have to wait for the re-runs on channel 2, which really sucks. however, this might have already been brought up but, what if they stopped doing big space battle scenes? i don't have any actually numbers, but i beat s1, s2, and s3 cost as much as maybe just s10, probably not, but you get my idea. i admit, i love the space battles, they are uber cool, but if i had a choice between no more sg1 and no space battles i would take the second. to do this i would say get some new writers, and go back to the original style.
                      I understood that an episode of BSG cost considerably less than an episode of SG-1.

Don't forget that the Sci-Fi channel will also be making a bigger return on BSG, through DVD sales and selling the airing rights to other channels.

Comment

And you believe that spin?!!
                        Even my most favourite shows of all time have been cancelled because of poor ratings, bad scripts, dwindling veiwers etc. I could sight your above reason for their cancellation as well.
                        Why is it that people can't admit their shows tank-as most will always do- at sometime during their run
                        Spin? What spin? Sci Fi clearly stated they would be willing to buy a season 11 for less money. The ratings weren't even bad, I don't know where people get this from. Blaming ratings for Stargate's demise is like blaming Hilters mother for the holocaust. Every season costs more than the last, there was always going to be a point at which Sci Fi would not willing to pay, regardless of the ratings.

Comment

There was always going to be a point at which Sci Fi would not willing to pay, regardless of the ratings.
                          I think the one thing most fans are pissed off wwith Sci-Fi is the fact that they are not even letting MGM find a new network for the show. At least thats the only grudge I hold against Sci-Fi & will call them out on it any chance I get.

Comment

Spin? What spin? Sci Fi clearly stated they would be willing to buy a season 11 for less money. The ratings weren't even bad, I don't know where people get this from. Blaming ratings for Stargate's demise is like blaming Hilters mother for the holocaust. Every season costs more than the last, there was always going to be a point at which Sci Fi would not willing to pay, regardless of the ratings.
                            Less money means that Sci-Fi would be getting a better return, even with lower ratings.

I have no idea what the actual figures are but if the Sci-Fi channel had been paying $1 million per episode and making $900,000 per episode in advertising fees, they would be taking a loss. If the ratings were higher, they would be in a position to charge more for advertising time, they could make a profit. If the ratings (and therefore their earnings from advertising) remained the same but each episode cost them $800,000, they would also be making a profit.

The point at which Sci-Fi would no longer willing to pay was going to be the point at which the ratings dropped to a point where the show wasn't making a good enough return on the money they invested in it.

Had Season Ten's ratings been double what they were, the show would probably have been worth investing in for another year. Given that they were significantly lower than Season Nine's ratings, which in turn had been lower than Season Eight's, I can't blame the Sci-Fi channel for not wanting to risk investing in another season.
                            Last edited by ReganX; 18 March 2007, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starxgate View Post
                              I think the one thing most fans are pissed off wwith Sci-Fi is the fact that they are not even letting MGM find a new network for the show. At least thats the only grudge I hold against Sci-Fi & will call them out on it any chance I get.
                              Again, this is a business decision.

They may not want SG-1 at it's current price but they are able to prevent it becoming competition for one of their own shows and are exercising that option.

Comment

With the exception of SGA. I still want my second fav show.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X