Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have not seen definitive proof that another network was interested in picking up SG1 after 10 years...

Comment

i'd certainly agree with that, picking up a long running brand can be difficult especially one that probably demands alot of cash. but i'm sure a network would have been interested although i assume sci fi would have asked way to much for the rights anyway

icyneko has a worryingly good point though, the writing was beginning to let the show down, i don't think the shot at the network in family ties helped either, the irony of which being that it was the only witty well written thing in the whole episode. the ratings weren't dropping JUST because of Scifi

Comment

Because they can still make a bundle out of syndication, there it is, plain and simple. 'cause guess what folks, sci-fi really doesn't care what you think, and why should they? They need to make money, and they'll do that however they can, don't take it personally, because its really NOT about YOU.
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

can't MGM make another season and release it directly to dvd?

Comment

Originally posted by Korean_Turtle87 View Post
            can't MGM make another season and release it directly to dvd?
            In theory yes. The only country being stopped from getting a season 11 on TV is the US. Anywhere else would have no trouble at all if they released a season 11.

The problem is that MGM would end up losing money. By the lack of airing on the US, they'd lose the money from a network buying the rights, they'd probably lose sponsorships during the ads, because what really makes the show worth producing is the amount of US viewers.

They'd really need to work out how much money a full season could cost to produce, then find out how much money they could make from international TV rights, international and domestic DVD sales and then consider selling each episode on Itunes weekly to see how much they could make from that (I believe a season pass would cost about $40 which they'd get a piece from).

Since 1.5 million US viewers can't all get it with itunes, they'd make less each week rather than TV so it's all about profits in the end.

sigpic

Comment

If anybody was passionate enough they could get the rights to the SG-1 material and make one of those online virtual season 11, for it be offical they'd need MGM's permission to use SG-1 characters and such it could happen if MGM is open to the idea. There will be many countries showing SG-1 for a few more years in the future theres over 50 countries showing SG-1 who knows a season 11 could appear sometime in the future

Comment

SciFi wanted more money, so they risked to separate the SG-1, Atlantis and BSG. This was a mistake. Than they choosed SG-1 randomly to cancel, because the two series had similar rating. What they didn't know that BSG will more weaker alone on Friday and Sunday too. So IMHO the TPTB didn't make any mistake. Maybe the fans should have support them better, but now it is useless to find, who is responsible for this. The writers created a wonderful season and most of the episodes were really-really good.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

They were its not just Sci-Fi and TV networks in US that make stupid decisions it happens in every single buisness across the US and many other countries. But Sci-Fi were complete dumbasses with this everybody makes mistakes but most people LEARN from their mistakes and fixes them not Sci-Fi after finding out their stupidity didn't work out instead of trying to fix it, its like ah well *throws in trash can* can't be bothered fixing lets wait until its damaged too badly to save then axe it like what they are doing to SGA and BSG i bet a few weeks into SGA they will annouce they are canceling but they could wait until episode 100 before saying we are canceling because our poor management descisions more or less lead to lowered ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by crompton20 View Post
                    This isn't something just brought on by the last ever ep its something that has been bugging me for a while

as far as i am aware from reading reports sci fi is the only network with the rights to make a season 11 and are not interested in doing so. But why hold onto the rights then? why don't they let someone else make the season 11,
                    TO me it is like kids and toys. You remember from the days you were youg, if you had a spiffy/cool toy, you would rarely if ever let anyone else play with it. This is how i see sci fi right now.. sg1 is their cool toy (since it hit that record) and they are unwilling to let anyone else play with it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                      Because they can still make a bundle out of syndication, there it is, plain and simple. 'cause guess what folks, sci-fi really doesn't care what you think, and why should they? They need to make money, and they'll do that however they can, don't take it personally, because its really NOT about YOU.
                      Without the viewers they are doomed, it is about us.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                        Er, they broke the news before or AT the party, from what I've read in the trades. It's all a matter of cost. SG1 was a costly show, ratings were down, hence, advertising revenue was going down. SG1 made the longest running blah blah record, and that's all Skiffy wanted at that point, so they cut their losses, kept SGA (where they have more financial control) and make new shows which they hope will last long.

Ther'es no season 11 anywhere unless Skiffy okays it, or unless they film in Romania
                        Still it's all symantics. it wasnt handled well as all they had to do was simply negotiate better, and keep this great show on the air.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                          Still it's all symantics. it wasnt handled well as all they had to do was simply negotiate better, and keep this great show on the air.
                          That's Sci-Fi for you. They make a habit of not doing the proper, or smart things.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                            That's Sci-Fi for you. They make a habit of not doing the proper, or smart things.
                            They do?! Really! I never would of guessed! *end sarcasam*
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

So let me get this straight..

Sci-Fi wont let any other company have Stargate?
                              So that no other network can have Stargate?
                              is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by ohnd View Post
                                So let me get this straight..

Sci-Fi wont let any other company have Stargate?
                                So that no other network can have Stargate?
                                is that right?
                                unfortunately you're right
                                Stolen Kosovo
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X